HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr article

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
  #1
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Jagr article

http://www.nhl.com/features/spotlight/jagr032306.html

Good read.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
  #2
Lundqvist102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727

Lundqvist102 is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
  #3
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
Good article.

shoothepuck is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
  #4
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
NHL.com has really been covering the Rangers well this year.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
  #5
bk3nj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Country: Germany
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
I'm sure that the league must be very happy to have the franchise in its largest media market successful again... They'll definitely want to draw attention to the fact.

To me, it is semi-reminiscent (in this limited sense) of right after the Rangers won in 94.. Hockey in general seemed to loom much larger in the general consciousness of our culture. It seemed like the league was poised to pass the NBA (wishful thinking maybe), until it shot itself in the foot with the lockout.

Of course, I could be reading too much into it...

bk3nj is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 08:56 PM
  #6
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
NHL.com has really been covering the Rangers well this year.
Trying to make up for not rigging the lottery. Need to do more imo.

romba is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 09:00 PM
  #7
Blueshirt Yankee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
really good article

Blueshirt Yankee is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 09:12 PM
  #8
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk3nj
I'm sure that the league must be very happy to have the franchise in its largest media market successful again... They'll definitely want to draw attention to the fact.

To me, it is semi-reminiscent (in this limited sense) of right after the Rangers won in 94.. Hockey in general seemed to loom much larger in the general consciousness of our culture. It seemed like the league was poised to pass the NBA (wishful thinking maybe), until it shot itself in the foot with the lockout.

Of course, I could be reading too much into it...
I think you're right. I don't even remember the NBA being on TV much when I was younger. Only time was Sunday afternoon when I'd watch Jordan school some team.

Hockey was always on and it was good. Always entertaining.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 09:28 PM
  #9
Phil333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
Right after the Rangers won the Cup, SI's cover said "Why Hockey's Hot and Basketball's Not" (or was it NHL and NBA, whatever doesn't matter). Then, it seemed like hockey could catch up to the NBA or come close. Then lockout + more Jordan dominance ended that chance.

Phil333 is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
  #10
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
Right after the Rangers won the Cup, SI's cover said "Why Hockey's Hot and Basketball's Not" (or was it NHL and NBA, whatever doesn't matter). Then, it seemed like hockey could catch up to the NBA or come close. Then lockout + more Jordan dominance ended that chance.
This is the NHL's chance to catch up again. We have some of our own young talented marketable players...plus we have the best player in the world in the biggest media center of the world in Jagr with the Rangers. NHL has to take advantage of this.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
  #11
bk3nj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Country: Germany
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
I feel a lot more pessimistic about the prospects for the league (in media terms) these days than I did back in the mid 90's though...

It's tough to claw your way back into the minds of the public when the nationally televised games are buried on channel 408 (for cablevision subs), or wherever OLN is stuck in the lineups of other carriers (other than the odd Saturday game on NBC). Even in the playoffs, there won't be any consistent national coverage by a major network (again NBC) until game 3 of the finals! (I believe OLN has the rights to all playoff coverage up until that point.)

I do think there is an opening for the NHL however.. The NBA has chosen to market the individual players to a much greater degree than the teams, and that can get old (selfish, me first players with huge salaries..). If the NHL can adequately market the team first mentality that is so important to hockey, then their chances improve..

Additionally, the deeper in the playoffs the major market teams (like our Rangers) go, the more national coverage hockey will get, to a point. So I guess all true hockey fans should root for the Rangers to go deep...

bk3nj is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 10:14 PM
  #12
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
a rangers/detroit final would do wonders for the nhl.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 11:04 PM
  #13
Lundqvist102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Wait a second hold up. Your saying that OLN will be carrying all Rangers playoff games? Because i don't get OLN dishnetwork doesnt carry the channel. Does that mean i wont be able to see a single playoff game. Because if so then i am going to start crying.

And a little bit of for those stupid OLN people.

Lundqvist102 is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 11:14 PM
  #14
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102
Wait a second hold up. Your saying that OLN will be carrying all Rangers playoff games? Because i don't get OLN dishnetwork doesnt carry the channel. Does that mean i wont be able to see a single playoff game. Because if so then i am going to start crying.

And a little bit of for those stupid OLN people.
Go to "The Business of Hockey" forum. You should find your answer there.

romba is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.