HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Senators @ Sabres 3/24/06 @ 8 pm EST

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Moon Man*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperiėn
Apologies on his behalf. Personally, I like the civilized discussion for a change.

So I guess the y'all will be cheering for Ottawa tomorrow to beat Philly?
Aside from this season where the respective teams have been so close in the standings, I cheer for the Sens often.

There's a recent thread here showing that the majority Buffalo fans have alot of respect for Ottawa, stemming from the late '90s playoff matchups and the development of the club.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Afino
The Juice

If we couldn't win the East, I would definitely say that I'd root for Ottawa over every other East team.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Bloggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
Aside from this season where the respective teams have been so close in the standings, I cheer for the Sens often.

There's a recent thread here showing that the majority Buffalo fans have alot of respect for Ottawa, stemming from the late '90s playoff matchups and the development of the club.
There were a lot of great games between Buffalo and Ottawa in the '90's. They earned my respect during that period for sure. Hasek used to just drive me crazy and there was a strong dislike for him. Now, I think he's OK

Old
03-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
If we couldn't win the East, I would definitely say that I'd root for Ottawa over every other East team.
When one looks at the rest of the East, that's not saying much...

Old
03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Just one question: How do some of you NOT hate Afinogenov? If he was on my team, he'd drive me nuts.

Sabres were the better team tonight, IMO, just couldn't catch the breaks. I was worried the Sens defense would be running around without Chara and Volchenkov, and they didn't look too solid, but got the job done I guess.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:20 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Just one question: How do some of you NOT hate Afinogenov? If he was on my team, he'd drive me nuts.
yeah, but sometimes what he does out there is magic. And we all hope for more "magic max", and less "me me max"...

Old
03-24-2006, 11:20 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Sabres were the better team tonight, IMO, just couldn't catch the breaks. I was worried the Sens defense would be running around without Chara and Volchenkov, and they didn't look too solid, but got the job done I guess.

Max never stops his legs. It's tough to hate a guy that consistenly moves those skates. He plays around with the puck way too much, particularly in the neutral zone.

But he's a good spark often, especially in dull games.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Moon Man*

Quote:
When what he's trying to do clicks, it clicks. and damned if he doesn't look good when it does.

But you're right, it should be clicking more often.

He might be putting up some good numbers, but he's replaced Tim Connolly for my personal "Pair him with a goalie and send him packing" train tickets...

of course, Max'll probably have 5 points tomorrow and I'll change my mind again...

Old
03-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
When one looks at the rest of the East, that's not saying much...
Well played. Even as I typed that, I can't even think of another team I'd bother rooting for. Take out the usual suspects.....then you're left with...Pittsburgh? Not with Crybaby Crosby. Washington? Nahhhhhhhhhh. Tampa Bay? No thanks.

Quote:
Don't let the handle fool you....I yell at the television because of him more than anyone else.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Golden Slumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie
please beat the crap out of them. please.

oh, and get Chara to tap dance on Clarke while you're at it too???
His hand is still swollen, so it'll have to be mostly elbows.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:55 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:

and the worst thing of all.. max is paired with vanek. yes max drives me nuts. i would be happy with a rookie drew stafford getting 10 goals and driving hard in both ends.

Old
03-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperiėn
Yeah, completely understand the frustration. If the Sens win this one, it's not one to be particularly proud of.
lol come on man. 1) there must be a conclusive evidence that the goal HAS TO cross the line in order for it to be a goal. And no, it isnt the other way around. Trust me, it happens to every team over a long season, there have been games where multi goals by the Sens were overturned i.e. due to highsticks and replays and sorts, not that it matters cuz they score a lot more than the other team does anyway even still.

2) Sens had 5 their key players out (Hasek, Fisher, Havlat, Chara, and Volchenkov) and I believe even Spezza shouldn't have been back (disregard that setup goal on Eaves ) because you can see he is labouring out there trying to move on that hip pointer. He usualy has a lot more jump and on the oddman rushes and handling the puck more.

And even had that goal been awarded to you ottawa scored 1 more. Also lets not forget, the game was played in your backyard. No reason to think they are Ottawa cronies there. They are your video judging staff assigned to your home games every game by the league. why the fk would they care for Ottawa and who is up on the Sabres 7 pts?? I think not

I will tell you a team that got screwed even with the new replay rules, and that was Calgary in game 6 og the Stanley cup playoffs in OT, where they should of won the cup had the replays been followed.

Replays like them or hate them are in after the Hull fiasco on Dom and the Sabres, and you knwo what i am taking about. If you say let the reffs decide it and you can live with the 'human' factor, I bet you would see pple screaming bloody hell when a call goes against you, ESPECIALY after seein the numerous replays. Imagine what an outrage this would create come playoff time in a critical goal?

It's better to at least SEE the replay for yourself and decide, and like I said it says in the rule book that a goal MUST completly pass the line i.e. their must be a conclusive space btw the puck and the line even if it is an INCH, for it to count and the goal judge has a right to call down as quicly as he can. That is their job.

Old
03-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:

Yes, but in that shootout win the Sabres got, I thought the Sens were much better and Miller stole it. The rest were maaaah

So it balances all out

Old
03-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Sabres. Sabres.

(like "own-ZAH, own-ZAH")

Old
03-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Jorge Garcia

I believe Buffalo is an old Indian word meaning "shafted by refs." (Hello Brett Hull, hello Music City forward pass Miracle, etc. etc). I can't judge the disallowed goal, since I was "watching" on radio, but both Ottawa radio guys thought it was in.
On the other hand, the replay rules are not the same. In the NFL, you need conclusive proof to overturn a call. In the NHL, you can't award a goal unless you have a picture of the puck completely over the line. Guess tonight they didn't have one. Maybe the Sabres deserved a better fate. Maybe.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:13 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley4Hart
lol come on man. 1) there must be a conclusive evidence that the goal HAS TO cross the line in order for it to be a goal. And no, it isnt the other way around.
When did the rule change? B/c it used to be there had to be conclusive evidence that contravened the on-ice call by the referee. I hadn't heard anything of them changing that standard for this year.

If you've got a reference to that, it would be appreciated. The replays we saw on MSG didn't not give any .conclusive. proof the the puck did not completely cross the line as it was called by the referee, hence the attitude of the posters here.

But, more than that, my beef is that it took them over 10 minutes to finalize that decision, which it shouldn't. Take one or two minutes, make a decision and don't ruin the game trying to make yourself feel good about said decision.

For the record, it should have been a goal. Period.

Ta,

Old
03-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Jorge Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
my beef is that it took them over 10 minutes to finalize that decision, which it shouldn't. Take one or two minutes, make a decision and don't ruin the game trying to make yourself feel good about said decision.

For the record, it should have been a goal. Period.

Ta,
As I said before, I can't be sure the call was correct. But Sabres fans should not resent the 10-minute process. In all likelihood, they were running and rerunning all the tape they had, trying to find one frame that showed the puck across the line. It was the hockey equivalent of a fair trial. You can't blame the officials for what was, or was not, on the tape. They tried repeatedly to find proof. It just wasn't there.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:44 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia
As I said before, I can't be sure the call was correct. But Sabres fans should not resent the 10-minute process. In all likelihood, they were running and rerunning all the tape they had, trying to find one frame that showed the puck across the line. It was the hockey equivalent of a fair trial. You can't blame the officials for what was, or was not, on the tape. They tried repeatedly to find proof. It just wasn't there.
And again, do you have a reference that says there must be conclusive proof to call it a goal? (as opposed to there must be conclusive proof to overturn the decision).

Because I'm 99% positive that the rule is the latter. When you've got half of the other teams' fans coming over and saying that it should have been called a goal, as well as the other team's radio guys, it's a pretty sure sign that it probably was a goal.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley4Hart
Yes, but in that shootout win the Sabres got, I thought the Sens were much better and Miller stole it. The rest were maaaah

So it balances all out
I disagree. I thought the Sabres were the better team in that game, and they most certainly were in the 3rd period of that game. Hasek kept that game 1-1.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:52 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia
As I said before, I can't be sure the call was correct. But Sabres fans should not resent the 10-minute process. In all likelihood, they were running and rerunning all the tape they had, trying to find one frame that showed the puck across the line.
No, I can resent the process when it hasa detrimental effect on the game itself. I don't like it when anyone's playing, no matter what the circumstance. I didn't like it in the NFL when they first introduced their system and I don't like it in the NHL, when the number of variables is smaller. Look at the tape, make a decision. Don't agonize over it, it's bad for the players, coaches, fans, sponsors, announcers, TV Producers.... in short, everyone.

And, until you provide a reference to the changing standard in video review, I refuse to accept your 'explanation' of the situation.

Ta,

Old
03-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
No, I can resent the process when it hasa detrimental effect on the game itself. I don't like it when anyone's playing, no matter what the circumstance. I didn't like it in the NFL when they first introduced their system and I don't like it in the NHL, when the number of variables is smaller. Look at the tape, make a decision. Don't agonize over it, it's bad for the players, coaches, fans, sponsors, announcers, TV Producers.... in short, everyone.
That's been my view for quite some time now... ever since that farcical crease rule used to be enforced and constant delays were the norm in the '98-99 season and that... thing... happened in June '99.

The goal judge... That poor guy who sits behind the net has had the most useless job in all of sports for years now, and the refs are being made to look ridiculous (which they are capable enough of doing themselves) every time they have to double check what they saw for themselves.

Either put the human element back in the game, or get all officials off of ice level.

Have a Officiating Hub in Toronto or New York, staffed with a crew of individuals keeping watch over countless video screens and monitors, operating keyboards and calling all penalties, offsides, and icings from their remote location...

Or... let the occasional error go for the sake of keeping the air in the tires of an exciting game. Any rational person (aside from maybe the 'Roy Spencer' type) can handle a rare gaff on the ice... especially when its made in the blink of an eye instead of after 10 minutes of agonizing review or when it results in Colin Campbell phoning Darcy Regier to make apologies...

I move past any errors, whether they are perceived solely by myself or by anyone with a working knowledge of the rules, rather quickly... and if a win is meant to be, a good team will make it happen... but millions of people waiting on a couple of guys pressing fast forward and rewind is just idiotic when there's two professional, capable officials right there where the action is. 3 counting the oft-forgotten goal judge... or is he now a mythical character?

GAH!

Closed Thread