HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

For all you haters!

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Why? Because he had a solid run against the Bruins?

If that's your sole reason for it, then I'd trade it to you in a heartbeat.

Waiiiiiiiiit a minute. There's a catch here. You're Reggie Houle, right?
No but because he has had multiple great playoffs during his career while the other has sucked in every single one of them. This is pathetic.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Are you kidding me? Both years we faced them in the playoffs he chocked like only chockers do. Koivu and Kovalev put him in their back pockets.

Don't forget. Joe is still young. I'd take Joe in a second over Kovalev. First off, he's a centerman. You don't find a centerman of that quality very often. Go ask Cheechoo.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Hockeymom67

Gave up my tickets for tonight,decided to go Sat. instead .Hope they play alike .
Never hated anyone just been displeased with them at times
Keep it up Habs !

Old
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Don't forget. Joe is still young. I'd take Joe in a second over Kovalev. First off, he's a centerman. You don't find a centerman of that quality very often. Go ask Cheechoo.
Again I dont freakin care if he's a center or not. In the playoffs he dissapears. Case closed.

Old
deandebean

Quote:
No but because he has had multiple great playoffs during his career while the other has sucked in every single one of them. This is pathetic.

Great playoffs, eh? Boy, are you quick with the superlatives tonight.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Toro

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Both years we faced them in the playoffs he chocked like only chockers do. Koivu and Kovalev put him in their back pockets.

Like i said he was playing for the bruins and he was really hurt Man...

but played anyway not his fault boston is cursed and suck big donkey c$%k

Old
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I never said anything about the playoffs, simply that for what he's done during the season, you guys are over-rating him bad. Their's no such thing as "consistent" talent. You've got talent or you don't. It's not like your talent disapears on a night, and returns the next. He's got ALL the tools to find the back of the net every other night, however HE chooses when he feels like using them or not.
How can you call a player heartless while ignoring his playoff contributions? Kovalev is a proven playoff performer. You cannot call a player who steps it up in the playoffs heartless. That's a direct contradiction.

You're misunderstanding consistent talent. I stated that consistency is a talent--not 'consistent talent'. In other words, the ability to play to one's peak on a regular basis is a talent--not a given. Just because a player wants to play to their peak, and trains to play at their peak won't allow them to necessarily play at their peak game-in game-out.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:39 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Again I dont freakin care if he's a center or not. In the playoffs he dissapears. Case closed.

Case closed because you don't care that he's a premier centerman, the scoring leader in the NHL right now? Comparing an 18 goal scorer with the best point getter in the NHL is not ludicrous?

Old
03-23-2006, 10:40 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Case closed because you don't care that he's a premier centerman, the scoring leader in the NHL right now? Comparing an 18 goal scorer with the best point getter in the NHL is not ludicrous?
Again stop changing the discussion. We're talking about playoffs here. In the PLAYOFFS (I'll make it bold for you to understand) Kovalev is miles ahead of Thornton.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
If you don't count his rookie year and last year (injury) he was nearly at 1 ppg in the playoffs so I don't get how you can assume that. I guess we'll see this year if he makes the playoffs.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Again stop changing the discussion. We're talking about playoffs here. In the PLAYOFFS (I'll make it bold for you to understand) Kovalev is miles ahead of Thornton.

Well, in order to play during the playoffs, you need your supposed best player to take you there. Unless you think 18 goals can cut it, then it's ok.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Just had to look this up for fun:

03/04: Thornton scores 23 goals in 77 games. (0.3 goals per game)
05/06: Thornton scores 25 goals in 65 games. (0.38 goals per game)

Kovalev this season has 18 goals in 56 games. (0.32 goals per game)

I agree with your point in general (Thornton over Kovalev), but goals aren't exactly Thornton's thing either.

Old
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Shabutie go back to your cave monkey.
Quote:
You're an idiot. Get it?

How are you doing for not getting banned??

Old
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Well, in order to play during the playoffs, you need your supposed best player to take you there. Unless you think 18 goals can cut it, then it's ok.
Yeah and Joe Thornton has really taken his team in the playoffs this year hasn't he? Racking up all those cheap assists.

Old
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
How can you call a player heartless while ignoring his playoff contributions? Kovalev is a proven playoff performer. You cannot call a player who steps it up in the playoffs heartless. That's a direct contradiction.

You're misunderstanding consistent talent. I stated that consistency is a talent--not 'consistent talent'. In other words, the ability to play to one's peak on a regular basis is a talent--not a given. Just because a player wants to play to their peak, and trains to play at their peak won't allow them to necessarily play at their peak game-in game-out.
I still don't get how you consider consistency a talent. I mean if you've got the talent you can play with it every night if you're willing. As I said, it's not as if it leaves one night and comes back the next. He's got the hands to be consistent, the shot to be consistent but he lacks the motivation to be consistent. Does his consistency talent only appear in the playoffs? No...his motivation appears.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I grant you Thornton's unproven in the playoffs, but he's also young and was in a bad situation in Boston. Give him a chance in a better environment before calling him a choker.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Just had to look this up for fun:

03/04: Thornton scores 23 goals in 77 games. (0.3 goals per game)
05/06: Thornton scores 25 goals in 65 games. (0.38 goals per game)

Kovalev this season has 18 goals in 56 games. (0.32 goals per game)

I agree with your point in general (Thornton over Kovalev), but goals aren't exactly Thornton's thing either.

Which means, and you can agree with that, Thornton is a more complete, thus more efficient, thus more useful player.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:46 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Yeah and Joe Thornton has really taken his team in the playoffs this year hasn't he? Racking up all those cheap assists.

Actually, the Sharks are closer to the playoffs than the Booins. That only because of Joe. Go ask Cheechoo.

Old
Shabutie

Quote:
Emm...you're comparing Joe Thornton who's with the San Jose sharks to Kovalev who's with Montreal, one with 100 pts one with 50...who's letting down his team...

Old
Toro

I usually see 4 different kind's of Offensive players...

the kind that score consistently in the regular season and playoffs

the kind that " " in the playoffs only

the kind that " " only in the regular season

the kind that never score consistently

At least Kovalev fits in the first 2 at least..

But again Thorton on MTL might be the first score all the time.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:47 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
If you don't count his rookie year and last year (injury) he was nearly at 1 ppg in the playoffs so I don't get how you can assume that. I guess we'll see this year if he makes the playoffs.
Why should I not count his rookie year or last year? Koivu had the exact same injury yet played through it and was the leading scorer through two rounds of player while Joe didnt get a single point in the whole series! Also Kovalev in his rookie year had 21 points in 23 games where he played a huge role in helping his team win the cup. (He was the second best forward in the playoffs that year after Messier, just ask rags fans!)

Old
03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I grant you Thornton's unproven in the playoffs, but he's also young and was in a bad situation in Boston. Give him a chance in a better environment before calling him a choker.
He's not really "unproven" before last year when he was "injured" he was nearly a PPG player. At 26....he's achieved a ton and will only get better.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I still don't get how you consider consistency a talent. I mean if you've got the talent you can play with it every night if you're willing.
That's absolutely wrong. This is a seemingly common perspective: that some players simply choose not to perform to their abilities. Some players don't have the ability to do so. Some nights they just don't have it.

Quote:
Does his consistency talent only appear in the playoffs? No...his motivation appears.
His clutch ability comes to life--same as Koivu. They can't maintain that level of play throughout the regular season though.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Why should I not count his rookie year or last year? Koivu had the exact same injury yet played through it and was the leading scorer through two rounds of player while Joe didnt get a single point in the whole series! Also Kovalev in his rookie year had 21 points in 23 games where he played a huge role in helping his team win the cup. (He was the second best forward in the playoffs that year after Messier, just ask rags fans!)
Comparing the Bruins to the Rags.... Last year the whole bruins team was pitiful, hell our first line beat them alone.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:50 PM
deandebean

Quote:

I agree about most of your post regarding Koivu and Kovalev. He DID choke afterwards with the Rags, though. He had a promising start to his career, like I said, but then faded a bit. He came back with a roar with the Pens for one season or so, and then, whooosh...disappeared again. And STILL (like Michael Buffer would say) has yet to be found.

Closed Thread