HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who names a Captain first? The Pens or the Blue shirts?

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Luigi Lemieux

vCash: 500
i don't think it's that ridiculous to give crosby the C next year. he is the leader of the pens and he's been dealing with pressure under the spotlight his whole life. so he whines a little, big deal.

Old
03-24-2006, 01:51 PM
shealy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
Crosby with the C in Pittsburgh would be hilarious. Instant laughing stock of the league.

Old
03-24-2006, 01:55 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

It's hilarious how overblown Crosby's "whining" is. Get real, people. He's 18 years old.

Old
03-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Jaded-Fan

How many excuse to slam Crosby and/or the Pens threads disguised as actual discussion do we need? I have lost count of how many of these there have been.

Old
03-24-2006, 02:24 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
Crosby will wear the C on opening night, guaranteed.
No love for Malkin?

Old
03-24-2006, 02:26 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
How old was Yzerman when the Wings gave him the C ?

Its not that crazy a concept that Crosby could be given the nod.
He was 21 and in his THIRD season. Was the youngest NHL captain ever until Lecavalier was breifly Lightning captain at age 19.

Old
03-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Icekube

Here is a good discussion on Sid's potential captancy from Pens boards

Old
03-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pope
Crosby would be the worst capitan ever!

Crosby: Hey buddy, could you please leave him alone... Please? Ref he won't leave my teammate alone! He's being a bully!

Nothing more to say...

Old
03-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Paxton Fettel

the simple idea of Crosby wearing the "C" makes me laugh

Old
03-24-2006, 02:37 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Ok so an 18 year old who in more then one way are the new front figure of NHL hockey complain a little to much. Big deal? I remember when Forsberg played in Sweden before he went ower to the NHL and his team had lost the final. A reporter who went out on the ice asked him about the game and Forsberg could not hold it back and said he wanted to give the ref of the game a big punch in the face. There where a lot of this things around Forsbergs at the time since he wanted to win everything all at the same time. Now, 15 years later he is captain material, a very good front model of Swedish and north american hockey and he speaks well when he talks to the media. What I want to say is that a lot of young guns come off as spoiled bratts when they are young since they have not learned to controll their emotions. I have not seen enought of Crosby to judge if he is ready or not to become a C already nect year but to say he would never become one is just silly.

Old
03-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube
Here is a good discussion on Sid's potential captancy from Pens boards
did you just call that a good discussion? it becomes a flame fest by page 3.

i don't care if they stick with 3 As or give sid the C. i think he'll be able to handle whatever they give him.

Old
03-24-2006, 02:54 PM
PACaptain

Here is my opinion on the three teams in question, feel free to rip it to shreds.

New York Rangers- I think it should be Jagr, but if he doesn't want it then he doesn't want it. I could see his opinion shifting after this season where he has been a true leader and top player.

New Jersey Devils- Its got to be Elias if he signs a new deal. If not, my money is on Madden. Rafalski is a dark horse but Madden works hard and seems to be their most effective and vocal leader not named Patrik.

Pittsburgh Penguins- I do not feel it will be Crosby. Not in 2006-07. I could see a transitional captain being either Melichar or LeClair. I would liken the situation to Jarome Iginla in Calgary a few years ago. Everything I have heard from inside the Pens is that Melichar is great in the locker room and respected regardless of his "A" falling off. I could see Big Joe for a year and then Sidney the following season.

Old
03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pope
Crosby would be the worst capitan ever!
Cough *AlexeiYashin*Cough

Old
03-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Cough *AlexeiYashin*Cough
no, actually Crosby would be a lot worse! and that shows you how critical the situation would be!

Old
03-24-2006, 03:13 PM
ShadowFax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_17
no, actually Crosby would be a lot worse! and that shows you how critical the situation would be!
Please enlighten us oh wise one.

Old
03-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Icekube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
did you just call that a good discussion? it becomes a flame fest by page 3.
That is WAY better than most discussions over here.

Old
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Va Beach Pens Fan

Without a doubt it will be Crosby, and he deserves it...

LeClair, while I actually think his play has been decent even though his best years are long gone, is clearly playing out the string, and most likely pleading to his agent to get his traded in the offseason... There have been several reports of his disappointment that he remained a Pen after the trading deadline...

Why Melichar got an "A", even before it fell off, is still a mystery to me... That's like giving Endicott an "A" (shudder)...

If Gonchar continues his improved play, at least to me, I could see with an "A" again...

I agree with some of you others, Orpik is growing into a leader, and I wouldn't complain at all if he got one of the other A's....

Unfortunately, Malkin's poor English will most like prevent any of this for the near future, IMO anyway...

Old
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Beach Pens Fan
Unfortunately, Malkin's poor English will most like prevent any of this for the near future, IMO anyway...
I hope they room him and Crosby together. Just because one day I'd like to read headlines that read

"Tkachuk's girdle stash raided, hung from flagpole.Opposing players suspected"

Old
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Biggsy

I dont see why they wouldnt Sid the C next year he will be the leader of the team soon, and who else do they have they could give it to Gonchar??

Old
03-24-2006, 06:02 PM
NYRangers

The Rangers won't have a captain next year either. Jagr doesn't want it. Kaspar would be next in line but he knows it should be Jagr so I doubt he would take it if he's even offered it, why change whats working?

Old
03-24-2006, 06:09 PM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
Crosby with the C in Pittsburgh would be hilarious. Instant laughing stock of the league.

instant laughing stock as a poster on HF with a comment like that

Old
03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pens Are Back
instant laughing stock as a poster on HF with a comment like that
Hey now, if you want your team being led by a crybaby then so be it, not my problem.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
detredWINgs

It has nothing to do with Crosby's age as much as it has to do with his maturity. A player can be the youngest on his team and the most mature, but that is not the case with Crosby.

But then again, its all up to Pens management, which has been sub-par for many years now. That, and then Pens arent exactly stocked with leadership like some other teams around the league are. Well, I think pretty much every team in the league has more leadership than the Pens or at least one outstanding guy to take hold of the team.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:40 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
How old was Yzerman when the Wings gave him the C ?

Its not that crazy a concept that Crosby could be given the nod.
Please don't compare the two simply because they were young captains. Yzerman has shown sportsmanship and professionalism throughout his entire career. Even from the beginning. And you can make a pretty damn good comparison between the situations of Crosby and Yzerman as Yzerman played on a team that might have just been worse than the present-day Pens. The professionalism was still there with Yzerman, along with the crappy team and the high draft pick status.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Crosby is probably the best option the Penguins have if they are going to name a captain from their current pool of players. People are laughing at Crosby as an option but I'd say the really laughable name that has been thrown out there is Orpik. It's one thing for your captain to be a bit hotheaded (Crosby) but it's another thing for him to be downright stupid (Orpik). The best option for the Penguins might be to sign a veteran presence from outside the organization to act as a stabilizing factor for the next couple of years, while they straighten things out and wait for their young players to develo and mature.

For the Devils, it has to be Elias if he re-signs. Otherwise it could be just about anyone.

For the Rangers they may as well just stick with the 3 A system, because Jagr is the captain even if he's not wearing the C.

I agree with the Bruins fan who felt that Axelsson would be a good captain for that team.

Closed Thread