HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier...2mil= per What would McKee cost?

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Crazy Tasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Ill take Mckee's shotblocking, defensive coverage, and physical play over CAmpbell's overrated offense everyday of the week.

I can't remember the last time Campbell made a great offensive play, let alone scored a goal. but i see Mckee make great plays in his own zone and block big shots every game.
If you want to keep McKee at 3.5, be prepared to see Teppo's replacement being Fitzpatrick.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Moon Man*

But what'll be left for Chara/Redden?

With the free agent frenzy this past August driving up the price for quality D-men, I think Regier & Co. will have to break out the magnifying glass on the roster and the NHL depth chart to find the best value they can for their buck... as they did this season.

McKee is worth over $3 mil per these days... but I can't see the Sabres offering alot (or even if) more than that.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty
If you want to keep McKee at 3.5, be prepared to see Teppo's replacement being Fitzpatrick.
I think we can keep Mckee for less than 3.5 if we give him a long term deal. 5 years maybe. and im also ready to see Paetsch make a push to be a #6/7 guy. and i don't expect Fitzpatrick to even be here let alone replace Teppo. Kalinin will replace Teppo IMO. Campbell will still be around and i hope that between Tallinder and Kalinin, Teppo will be replaced on the PP. and who knows maybe Teppo will want to play 1 more year for the vet minimum. and Sekera will be in Rochester. There will also be plenty of 3rd pairing veteran guys out there who are a lot better than Fitzptrick. I wouldn't mind a big Pylon paired with CAmpbell.

Tallinder-Lydman
Mckee-Kalinin
Campbell-Teppo/Paetsch/Pylon/etc

Im worried about losing Mckee, not Teppo's replacement

Old
03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
ajsonor

4 Years @ 12 Million, starting at 2.25 and finishing at around 4 should do it if he's really interested in staying in Buffalo. That should easily fall in line with the expansion of the salary cap and the revenue sharing ceiling the team aims for. That leaves $1.4 to offer Teppo or his replacement without adding a dollar to this year's salarys.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
4 Years @ 12 Million, starting at 2.25 and finishing at around 4 should do it if he's really interested in staying in Buffalo. That should easily fall in line with the expansion of the salary cap and the revenue sharing ceiling the team aims for. That leaves $1.4 to offer Teppo or his replacement without adding a dollar to this year's salarys.
the cap hit is spread evenly over the years. so it would be a 3 million a year cap hit. which is fine by me. i think we could get it under 3 a year if we gave him 5 or 6 years.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:59 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
In terms of how valuable McKee is....I'd have him at the 4th spot on our defense. I think he's a little overrated around here.

Don't get me wrong, he is the team's best PK'er, and he is a solid defensive defenseman, but I have noticed multiple times since the Olympic Break where his lack of foot speed has cost the team goals. He MAY be the team's best defensive defenseman, but it's fairly close (Lydman and Numminen are up there), and he doesn't come close to the other top 3's offensive skills for me to justify putting him up ahead of Lydman, Tallinder, or Teppo...

As for what I'd pay him.....I wouldn't go over 3 MIL a year, I don't think.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81
As for what I'd pay him.....I wouldn't go over 3 MIL a year, I don't think.
I don't think the Sabres will have to. You could probably put him somewhere in line with what old buddy Rhett is raking in. Warrener got 4-years, $9.4M from Calgary before the season began. The Sabres could probably offer Jay a 450K-500K raise and lock him up for three more years if they negotiated now. That would put him at a shade over $2M per year. I don't see how he should be making anywhere in the $3M a year range.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Kruschiki

Don't be surprised to see Teppo sign another 1 year deal in Bflo. Remember how long Ruff kept Patrick around.

McKee is as good as gone, and Biron+ will be the price of his replacement.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Baker
if they negotiated now.
Being so close to FA, I would be surprised to see McKee sign even if they negotiated during the regular season, especially after seeing his "type" stock rise at the trade deadline. It seems like physical, defensive defensemen who can play in the new NHL are coveted.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:21 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
I don't think the Sabres will have to. You could probably put him somewhere in line with what old buddy Rhett is raking in. Warrener got 4-years, $9.4M from Calgary before the season began. The Sabres could probably offer Jay a 450K-500K raise and lock him up for three more years if they negotiated now. That would put him at a shade over $2M per year. I don't see how he should be making anywhere in the $3M a year range.
I think those numbers are do-able, and hopefully happen. With the money we have seen being spent on UFA defensemen at the deadline, Jay is worth it

Old
03-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot0074
I think those numbers are do-able, and hopefully happen. With the money we have seen being spent on UFA defensemen at the deadline, Jay is worth it
At the very most, I can see a three-year $6.75M year or so. That's just me.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:35 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
At the very most, I can see a three-year $6.75M year or so. That's just me.
I hope you are right

Old
03-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame

Tallinder-Lydman
Mckee-Kalinin
Campbell-Teppo/Paetsch/Pylon/etc
Pylon?
Is that guy still playing?

Old
03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Being so close to FA, I would be surprised to see McKee sign even if they negotiated during the regular season, especially after seeing his "type" stock rise at the trade deadline. It seems like physical, defensive defensemen who can play in the new NHL are coveted.
Very. Jay stands to make some serious bank in or out of town with the way GM's were shooting themselves in the foot this past summer. The cash is out there for guys like him.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
McKee and Numminen are both UFA.
Is Fitzy's deal up, too?

Old
03-25-2006, 08:09 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Willie Mitchell reportedly wanted $3.5 million per year to sign an extension with Minnesota and that's why they moved him.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some teams threw some crazy jack at guys like Witt, Mitchell, and McKee.

If Jay is allowed to test the UFA market, I'd be surprised if someone didn't throw $3 million+ per year at him.

For this team though, I wouldn't go above $2.5 million per year.

Closed Thread