HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to fix our center problem?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2017, 08:31 PM
  #1
SpezNc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,348
vCash: 500
How to fix our center problem?

It's not a secret that our main weakness is our center line?

Apart front UFA (thin crop), we are our options?

I think it can be interesting to track a list of potential available center and also a list of potential asset we could trade.

NOT A TRADE PROPOSAL but simply to build a list we can refer in order to see our possibilities.

We need to be realistic in the sense that most number 1 center are not available or have a non trade list. Tavares is probably not moving!

Therefore no miracle can happens!

Carey Price, Max Pac, Weber and Sergachev are probably not moving

I will start :

Center available or center the opposing team may be willing to trade:

1-Matt Duchene : Colorado : on trade market
2-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins : Edmonton : with McDavid and Draisaitl, RHN is expensive to play on the third line!
3-Sean Couturier : Philly : Giroux is their #1 and they also have Schenn and maybe Konecky that can play center.
4- Sam Reinhardt : Buffalo : Eichel is #1. Ennis, O'reilly can play center.
5-Sam Bennett : Sean Monahan is #1 and Backlund is #2. But Calgary will not trade him for cheap.

UFA: Thin crop. Hanzal and Sharp.

Asset to trade with value :
Alex Galchenyuk (regular top 6)
Brendan Gallagher (regular top 6)
Arturri Lehkonen (regular top 6)
Micheal McArron (minor)
Nikita Scherbak (minor)
Nathan Beaulieu (top 5-6-7 dmen) not a great value
Noah juulsen (junior )
Victor Mete. (Junior)
Z Fucale (minor - low value but can sweetened a deal)
1st round draft pick 2017
1st round 2018
2 second 2017
3 second 2018

Pleky = no value
Shaw = not moving
Petry = not moving
Danault = worth more as a habs

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 08:38 PM
  #2
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Trade

For me, preferably someone without a bad contract and a player on the rise, not on the decline.

If the Habs are giving up significant assets, should be for someone who will be around for a while.

The problem is the Habs don't have much of surplus anywhere that would interest other teams.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 08:54 PM
  #3
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,219
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
By trading Price.

By trading Weber.

By tanking, selling, drafting, rebuilding and developping properly.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 09:27 PM
  #4
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?
 
L4br3cqu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
By trading Price.

By trading Weber.

By tanking, selling, drafting, rebuilding and developping properly.
While I think this should have been done a couple years ago, op also said 'realistic', knowing Molson and Bergevin, there's no way it will happen, sorrily...

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 09:30 PM
  #5
The Great Pateryn
Protect Da Deficit
 
The Great Pateryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 157
Tank hard and draft well

The Great Pateryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
  #6
Uncle Gary
Habs/Preds
 
Uncle Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
By trading Price.

By trading Weber.

By tanking, selling, drafting, rebuilding and developping properly.
This.

Uncle Gary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
  #7
CHwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Pateryn View Post
Tank hard and draft well
X2, those that think this team is a number one center away from being a contender are delusional.

CHwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 09:38 PM
  #8
CrazyShea
Registered User
 
CrazyShea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Copy the penguins, blackhawks and oilers. Tank year after year and get a few top 3 picks. Pray for a generational talent and win.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:18 PM
  #9
vokiel
#FireMolgevin
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,326
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
By trading Price.

By trading Weber.

By tanking, selling, drafting, rebuilding and developping properly.
I don't believe we have the brains to do this, so all that is left is drowning our sorrows.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:29 PM
  #10
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't believe we have the brains to do this, so all that is left is drowning our sorrows.
Clearly a rebuild or retool cannot happen competently with Bergevin in the driver's seat, and he's not going anywhere.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:29 PM
  #11
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,589
vCash: 50
You realize tanking is not clear cut right? We look at teams who got generational talents after several 1st/2nd overall picks. That's a long rebuild...to make matters worse no new Crosby or McDavid I know of just yet. Also, the draft has changed, any team can move up.

Toronto despite being last were not guaranteed 1st overall but won. This year Colorado dropped from 1st to 4th. 3 different teams beat them.

It's a dangerous game to play because our best player in price won't give us a ransom, goalies never do.

We can rebuild if people want but it will be a long rebuild. Toronto had Schenn(5th)[Turned into JVR], Kadri(5th), Reilly(5th), Nylander(8th), Marner(5th), Matthews(1st) and they are just a playoff team.

It's a long road...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:31 PM
  #12
VirginiaMtlExpat
2dMostInterestingMIW
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,229
vCash: 500
Find some talented unloved center, with his stock at a low point, similar to how the Sens got Turris. And avoid making the same mistake selling low with Galchenyuk. Ryan Strome came to mind last winter, but there could be others.

Alternately, try to make cap space (depending on whom Vegas picks, e.g. Emelin) and make an offer to a team up against the cap, like the Canes did when they got Teravainen from the Hawks.

Edit: this does not necessarily get you a star, but perhaps a serviceable #2.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:33 PM
  #13
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,219
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You realize tanking is not clear cut right? We look at teams who got generational talents after several 1st/2nd overall picks. That's a long rebuild...to make matters worse no new Crosby or McDavid I know of just yet. Also, the draft has changed, any team can move up.

Toronto despite being last were not guaranteed 1st overall but won. This year Colorado dropped from 1st to 4th. 3 different teams beat them.

It's a dangerous game to play because our best player in price won't give us a ransom, goalies never do.

We can rebuild if people want but it will be a long rebuild. Toronto had Schenn(5th)[Turned into JVR], Kadri(5th), Reilly(5th), Nylander(8th), Marner(5th), Matthews(1st) and they are just a playoff team.

It's a long road...
Its a long road but at least you have a plan and you get the best people possible behind the plan and have it execute. You make smart choices, unlike the Weber trade and the Shaw trade amd contract.

Bergevin doesn't have a plan. He has absolutely no ****ing idea what he's doing and where he's going. This team is on a slow to possibly quick free fall, a la Vancouver.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:35 PM
  #14
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,838
vCash: 500
First, dump overpaid guys like Pleks and Shaw to create cap space.

As for the center:

Galchenyuk and Beau. That's one way.

We can give up picks/prospects for a guy like Zetterberg and take on that bad contract and hope we get enough out of him over the next couple of years that we can win.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:36 PM
  #15
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,589
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Its a long road but at least you have a plan and you get the best people possible behind the plan and have it execute. You make smart choices, unlike the Weber trade and the Shaw trade amd contract.

Bergevin doesn't have a plan. He has absolutely no ****ing idea what he's doing and where he's going. This team is on a slow to possibly quick free fall, a la Vancouver.
Oilers get several 1st round picks. It took a generational talent to pull them out of the basement. Same with Pittsburgh.

Despite having a generational winger in Washington, they never reach finals(not sure if they hit round 3 yet).

So...it's nice and all but a tank guarantees nothing.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:40 PM
  #16
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,219
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Oilers get several 1st round picks. It took a generational talent to pull them out of the basement. Same with Pittsburgh.

Despite having a generational winger in Washington, they never reach finals(not sure if they hit round 3 yet).

So...it's nice and all but a tank guarantees nothing.
They had McTavish and Lowe for years, just like we had Bergevin and Therrien for 5 years. Look at where we are??? We are trending down.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:51 PM
  #17
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
They had McTavish and Lowe for years, just like we had Bergevin and Therrien for 5 years. Look at where we are??? We are trending down.
That's not the point.

The point is, however good management can be, you can tank for years with absolutely no guarantee of success. Especially now with the lottery.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 10:54 PM
  #18
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,219
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
That's not the point.

The point is, however good management can be, you can tank for years with absolutely no guarantee of success. Especially now with the lottery.
Doesnt help when your GM is an incompetent imbecile.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:01 PM
  #19
Stive Morgan
See you at the draft
 
Stive Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 172
Draft Jaret Anderson-Dolan

__________________
Stive Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:02 PM
  #20
SquiddFX
#Seanski
 
SquiddFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
It's actually real easy.

Step one: click Align Center in the reply box tool bar.
Step two: Start typing between the tags

See it's all centred man


SquiddFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:05 PM
  #21
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Doesnt help when your GM is an incompetent imbecile.
An incompetent imbecile can suck and luck out by having a generational player fall in his lap.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:05 PM
  #22
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,589
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddFX View Post
It's actually real easy.

Step one: click Align Center in the reply box tool bar.
Step two: Start typing between the tags

See it's all centred man

Man...this whole time we wanted Galchenyuk at center, all we had to do was this?

Galchenyuk


LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:06 PM
  #23
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,589
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
An incompetent imbecile can suck and luck out by having a generational player fall in his lap.
I'm surprised you agree with me on this one.

With all due respect to Chia and whoever(Shero?) getting Crosby and McDavid isn't the norm.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:07 PM
  #24
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,219
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
An incompetent imbecile can suck and luck out by having a generational player fall in his lap.
Then what is he waiting for?

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 11:08 PM
  #25
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,589
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Then what is he waiting for?
Well, you know...he said 'luck'.

And besides, do you know the next 'one'?

I sure as **** don't.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.