HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Envision this posibility

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Envision this posibility

At the beginning of the season, the consensus was that the Northwest and Northeast divisions are the best in hockey. While they are two very good divisions, looking at the possibilities on what can happen during this mad dash to the playoffs, I thought about out possibility that would put all that talk to shame:

Let's say that out East, Hotlanta keeps up their strong play and beats out Toronto and Montreal for the eighth and final playoff spot. And out West, let's say that Vancouver and Edmonton are the teams that are exiled from the West's top eight, while Anaheim keeps up their hot play and finishes ahead in points of Calgary and Colorado. Considering the Thrashers, Ducks and Sharks are very hot, while Edmonton has not looked great recently and the Canucks didn't before this series with Edmonton, there's decent odds that this could indeed happen.

But why does it put all the talk of the Northwest and Northeast being the top two divisions to shame? Well, in this scenario, the Northeast, which many predicted to have four teams in the playoffs, would have 2. They'd have two very close to the playoffs, but the other divisions out East would each have three, and each would also have a team not far out of it. Out West, the Northwest would also have only two teams, along with the Central, while the Pacific would be the Western division with four in. Also, the top team in the Northwest would also be behind the second-place teams in the Central and Pacific.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf
At the beginning of the season, the consensus was that the Northwest and Northeast divisions are the best in hockey. While they are two very good divisions, looking at the possibilities on what can happen during this mad dash to the playoffs, I thought about out possibility that would put all that talk to shame:

Let's say that out East, Hotlanta keeps up their strong play and beats out Toronto and Montreal for the eighth and final playoff spot. And out West, let's say that Vancouver and Edmonton are the teams that are exiled from the West's top eight, while Anaheim keeps up their hot play and finishes ahead in points of Calgary and Colorado. Considering the Thrashers, Ducks and Sharks are very hot, while Edmonton has not looked great recently and the Canucks didn't before this series with Edmonton, there's decent odds that this could indeed happen.

But why does it put all the talk of the Northwest and Northeast being the top two divisions to shame? Well, in this scenario, the Northeast, which many predicted to have four teams in the playoffs, would have 2. They'd have two very close to the playoffs, but the other divisions out East would each have three, and each would also have a team not far out of it. Out West, the Northwest would also have only two teams, along with the Central, while the Pacific would be the Western division with four in. Also, the top team in the Northwest would also be behind the second-place teams in the Central and Pacific.
A lot of things have to happen for that scenario to happen. All I know is that they are both very tough divisions.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
nashnaidoo

Well I can't see much point to comparing predictions made at the beginning of the season to the hypothetical situations you are suggesting using information you've gathered after 70 games are played.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:48 PM
thenextone

counting chickens before they hatch

things can flip both ways...

Old
03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Maybe Anahiem and San Jose don't make the playoffs? Hey with all the possibilites you're throwing out there, I figured i'd throw out some of my own.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit
Maybe Anahiem and San Jose don't make the playoffs? Hey with all the possibilites you're throwing out there, I figured i'd throw out some of my own.
Great point. But, while I'm not trying to discredit that these divisions aren't tough, I'm just saying that what people thought before the season is clearly absurd. Many people thought that the Pacific might be tighter than the Northwest, but the Northwest was far and away better than the Pacific. And clearly, even with 12 or so games left in the season, that is very false.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The Northwest division has been pretty good but the Northeast was overrated bigtime. I don't think either Toronto or Boston have a hope in hell of making the playoffs at this point while Montreal is probably 50/50 at best.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:51 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Great point. But, while I'm not trying to discredit that these divisions aren't tough, I'm just saying that what people thought before the season is clearly absurd. Many people thought that the Pacific might be tighter than the Northwest, but the Northwest was far and away better than the Pacific. And clearly, even with 12 or so games left in the season, that is very false.
Interesting points. The Northwest & Pacific divisions will both be in dogfights until the end of the season. What a wild ride it's been and will continue to be. It's much more interesting to watch the back & forth on a nightly basis, rather than having a couple of teams walk away with the divisional titles.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

The Pacific Division doesn't get any respect because of the fact that Dallas pretty much wrapped it up by the end of January. It is one of the best and most competitive divisions, though, and is better than the Northeast as a whole.

Old
03-25-2006, 12:18 AM
da_pope*

Northwest teams would have alot more points if they didn't have to play the other NW teams 32 times.

Old
03-25-2006, 12:32 AM
muffin with tentacle

vCash: 883
Quote:
Absurd probably isn't the right word. Was predicting Buffalo, NYR, or Carolina to miss the playoffs at the beginning of the season absurd? Certainly not, but it would be an absurd prediction now. The Northeast was the best division in 03-04, so it would only be natural that people would think they would be this season too, right? Nothing absurd about that. A lot of unexpected things have happened this season, the lockout changed everything.

Old
03-25-2006, 12:40 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Many people thought the rangers were going to finish dead last and the penguins to be one of the best teams....go figure.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan
The Pacific Division doesn't get any respect because of the fact that Dallas pretty much wrapped it up by the end of January. It is one of the best and most competitive divisions, though, and is better than the Northeast as a whole.
The Pacific hasen't been getting any respect becasue they've been a sleeper division. Anaheim and San Jose dug themselves such deep holes at the beginning of the season that they are just climbing out now.

Old
03-25-2006, 07:41 AM
PlayItAgain

Quote:

What you fail to take into consideration is that teams play each other 8 times in their own division. Take Toronto for example who is a collective 1-11 against Ottawa and Buffalo. Take those games out and Toronto is in the playoffs for sure.

Northeast has 2 of the best teams in the NHL so the rest of the division suffers in points.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Lexicon Devil

The divisional differences are very real. It's hard to compare divisions between conferences, but look at the record of the Northeast within the conference:

Northeast v. Southeast: 54 W -37 L
Northeast v. Atlantic: 47 W - 35 L

Clearly the best division in the East, regardless of whether more than two teams make the playoffs.

On the other hand, the Northwest hasn't shown this in the West:

Northwest v. Central: 45 W - 45 L
Northwest v. Pacific: 42 W - 38 L

Last edited by Lexicon Devil: 03-25-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old
03-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
One of Edmonton or Vancouver will make it if not both. For the simple reason that LA is in one massive tailspin. They actually remind me alot of the Flames when they picked up Turek at the begining one season. The hottest team in the NHL at the 1/4 pole managed to not make the playoffs. Massive second half tank.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nhl0506.htm

This guy ranks the divisions based on some formula. You could make the argument that because of the relatively small number of cross conference games it doesn't do the conference rankings well but i think its safe to say it is accurate within the conferences.

In the west.

Pacific and NW are basically a wash with the Central WAY behind.

In the east

NE way ahead of both the SE and Atlantic.

Old
03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
The Northwest division has been pretty good but the Northeast was overrated bigtime. I don't think either Toronto or Boston have a hope in hell of making the playoffs at this point while Montreal is probably 50/50 at best.
Wrong. The Northeast has won .640 of their possible points against the other two Eastern divisions. The league average (with the bonus point) is .555.

The reason Montreal and Toronto likely won't make the playoffs is because of playing Ottawa and Buffalo 8 times each as playitagain mentioned. Not to mention that they beat up on each other as well. Stick them into the ATL or the SE and they're somewhere between 6-8 seeds.

Closed Thread