HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How were the rangers built?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2006, 09:09 PM
  #1
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
How were the rangers built?

i think this team will be a final 4, great goaltending, tons of skilled forwards, great role players and i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.

so how did sather turn a laughing stock of a franchise to a cup contender?

what trades, signings etc. built this team?

DRL is online now  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
  #2
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 26,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i think this team will be a final 4, great goaltending, tons of skilled forwards, great role players and i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.

so how did sather turn a laughing stock of a franchise to a cup contender?

what trades, signings etc. built this team?
Bettman and the cap...oh and Jagrs having fun.

The Kingslayer is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
  #3
Grave77digger
Registered User
 
Grave77digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Lots of Czechs... no joke it worked for the Pens in there last play off run

Grave77digger is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:16 PM
  #4
Grave77digger
Registered User
 
Grave77digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
8 Czechs on the roster makes Jags very happy.

Grave77digger is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:23 PM
  #5
Cake or Death
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Sather used to be one of the best minds in hockey and exceptional at building strong teams. With the big NY Rangers checkbook, it almost looks like he got complacent over the past few seasons, just snagging any old free agents. Maybe now that the cap is in place, and Sather was forced to think again, the sharp old hockey mind had to come back into play.

I'd also give a lot of credit to coach Tom Renney on getting this team to finally play like a team - a factor which was sorely lacking for a long time.

 
Old
03-24-2006, 09:24 PM
  #6
VC
Registered User
 
VC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,143
vCash: 500
Team chemistry, get players that will play with and for eachother

VC is online now  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
  #7
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,675
vCash: 500
Dumb luck.

Honestly, Sather was as bad a GM as anyone in the NHL since he came to NY. If he knew Lundqvist was so good, why draft Montoya? I give him no credit at all.

btn is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
  #8
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Bettman and the cap...oh and Jagrs having fun.
There's a lot of truth in that statement.

The ultimate irony of this season is that the team which was MISTAKENLY held up for years as the example of how big market teams could simply buy their way to success (what success?) are now kicking butt under small market rules.

Sather's purging of under-performing big names at the '04 deadline should not be overlooked. Likewise, he made some sensational player personnel evaluations about acquisitions between the last NHL season and this one: Nylander, Straka (risen from the dead), Roszival, etc....Add a couple of sensational rookies and a work ethic that was missing for nearly a decade and there's your answer.

Trottier is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
  #9
True North
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to True North
It's funny...mostly stemming from the 1994 defeat of the Canucks, I've grown up to hate the Rangers in every way possible. But this year, I've done a complete 180, and I've found myself pulling for them this season. They use to be the New York Yankees of the NHL...throwing ludicrous contracts at players, basically trying to buy a Stanley Cup, and now that they've finally gotten away from that, they're actually winning on the principles of hard work and team unity. It's hard not to pull for them.

for the Rangers. I hope you go far.

True North is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
  #10
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,164
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Dumb luck.

Honestly, Sather was as bad a GM as anyone in the NHL since he came to NY. If he knew Lundqvist was so good, why draft Montoya? I give him no credit at all.


Maybe because we had no other goalie prospects other than Lundqvist worth a damn. I don't know... I'm not a GM, but depth seems to be something they like to have.

Also one might point to Dan Blackburns injury concerns as a good reason to draft another goaltender.

Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
  #11
swflyers8*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upper Darby, PA
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Dumb luck.

Honestly, Sather was as bad a GM as anyone in the NHL since he came to NY. If he knew Lundqvist was so good, why draft Montoya? I give him no credit at all.
I don't think he did know Hank was that good.

swflyers8* is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:36 PM
  #12
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Dumb luck.

Honestly, Sather was as bad a GM as anyone in the NHL since he came to NY. If he knew Lundqvist was so good, why draft Montoya? I give him no credit at all.
Exactly. Whoever decided that goaltending depth was important?

Maybe it was Dan Blackburn.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:37 PM
  #13
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.
I think most Rangers fans would disagree, and that was before the horrific giveaway to gagne on Wednesday night.



The difference in the Rangers ???

#1. Coaching - they actually play team defense for the first time in about a decade.

#2. Jagr - surrounding him with all the Czechs has him happy and motivated, he's been the NHL's best player

#3. Lundqvist - very good goaltending behind solid team defense.



As to a final four team - possible, but I would doubt it.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:38 PM
  #14
Finkle is Einhorn
Registered User
 
Finkle is Einhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan
I'd also give a lot of credit to coach Tom Renney on getting this team to finally play like a team - a factor which was sorely lacking for a long time.
I guess they really responded to his "No Beer on the Plane" policy. Good thing Tikkanen's not on the team anymore.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
  #15
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.



Are you crazy?!?

BigE is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
  #16
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i think this team will be a final 4, great goaltending, tons of skilled forwards, great role players and i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.

so how did sather turn a laughing stock of a franchise to a cup contender?

what trades, signings etc. built this team?
u misspelled jagr.
but seriously, team seems to be built around him (for him?). they acquired several ppl who have played well w/ jagr--straka, nylander, rucinsky. and all the czechs.


and players like rucchin, moore, betts, ortmeyer, hollweg provide checking,
defense, and work ethic that was missing before.

salary cap helped, i think. made them get away from just buying talent.

lundqvist has been huge; w/o him, NYR aren't contenders.

nik jr is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
  #17
Forever Blue
Registered User
 
Forever Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan
Sather used to be one of the best minds in hockey and exceptional at building strong teams. With the big NY Rangers checkbook, it almost looks like he got complacent over the past few seasons, just snagging any old free agents. Maybe now that the cap is in place, and Sather was forced to think again, the sharp old hockey mind had to come back into play.

I'd also give a lot of credit to coach Tom Renney on getting this team to finally play like a team - a factor which was sorely lacking for a long time.
Exactly. Sather didn't just forget how to build a hockey team. The payroll flexibility allowed him to get complacent and just go after big time free agents in an effort to patch up a bullet wound with a band-aid. With the cap, he had to build more of a "team", which is his strong point. He has a superstar forward, a superstar goalie, and has meshed solid free agents with other young, hungry players. The result is a strong team that has the ability to go deep in the playoffs. Renney also deserves a lot of credit, the perfect coach for a team like this.

Forever Blue is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
  #18
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think most Rangers fans would disagree, and that was before the horrific giveaway to gagne on Wednesday night.



The difference in the Rangers ???

#1. Coaching - they actually play team defense for the first time in about a decade.

#2. Jagr - surrounding him with all the Czechs has him happy and motivated, he's been the NHL's best player

#3. Lundqvist - very good goaltending behind solid team defense.



As to a final four team - possible, but I would doubt it.
I think you've got it right here. Surprising for a Flyers fan...

BigE is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
  #19
NYRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
A couple things...

Renney making the team work hard.
Jagr's revival
Good rookies -- Prucha, Lundqvist, Tyutin, Moore, Hollweg
Hidden talent thats worked well -- Rozival, Ward


They just play well together. The defense has been good yet we don't have any big names. Kaspar, Tyutin, Rozival, Strudwick, Ozolinsh, Poti, Malik.

NYRangers is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
  #20
alecfromtherock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5056
It's funny...mostly stemming from the 1994 defeat of the Canucks, I've grown up to hate the Rangers in every way possible. But this year, I've done a complete 180, and I've found myself pulling for them this season. They use to be the New York Yankees of the NHL...throwing ludicrous contracts at players, basically trying to buy a Stanley Cup, and now that they've finally gotten away from that, they're actually winning on the principles of hard work and team unity. It's hard not to pull for them.

for the Rangers. I hope you go far.
The only thing that was simular between the Rangers and the NYY is having the highest paid players and payroll.

NYY are the unquestionable best baseball team of all-time whereas the Rangers ...

It is pure irony that the Rags could not ‘buy’ a Cup for decades yet when a salary cap is introduced they come out smelling like a rose.

Does this mean that former high-spender Toronto will be playoff contender/threat any decade soon?

NOPE

alecfromtherock is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
  #21
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The difference in the Rangers ???

#1. Coaching - they actually play team defense for the first time in about a decade.

#2. Jagr - surrounding him with all the Czechs has him happy and motivated, he's been the NHL's best player

#3. Lundqvist - very good goaltending behind solid team defense.
#2 and team chemistry in general I believe are the biggest difference. The Rags have always had pretty good goaltending going all the way back to Vanbiesbrouck through Richter, Dunham and Blackburn. They always seem to have at least a decent to outstanding goalie. But now they play with a solid sense of team spirit. They even do that fan salute after games. The good chemistry has motivated Jagr to be the player he was 10 years ago, and he's carrying the team on his back.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
  #22
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
#2 and team chemistry in general I believe are the biggest difference. The Rags have always had pretty good goaltending going all the way back to Vanbiesbrouck through Richter, Dunham and Blackburn. They always seem to have at least a decent to outstanding goalie.
Richter wasn't good at the end, and neither Dunham or Blackburn were good NHL goalies. Now much of the blame should be credited to the lame rangers defense over the years, and Blackburn may have eventually become a real good NHL goalie, but he was rushed, and very inconsistant, ala Fleury of two years ago.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 09:56 PM
  #23
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river
 
2Leetch_94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Yep, who the hell needs goaltending depth. NOBODY thought Lundqvist would be this good this fast coming over from Sweden. After Lundqvist, Rangers had nobody unless you're one of the Ranger fans that thinks Chris Holt has supassed Montoya You never know when injuries can happen, and having two great goaltending prospects never hurts anyone.

But, to get to the question...Rangers signed Jagr's buddies, he plays with his buddies, he's playing MVP Hockey, and the Rangers have young hard working kids that do the dirty work of killing off the numerous penalties we take. Our goaltending has been excellent and we're getting a lot of lucky bounces for a change. We're creating them for once. Who knew team chemistry and effort could go a long way though I'm not sold on this team making it to the Eastern Conference Finals. We'll see

2Leetch_94 is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 10:01 PM
  #24
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Richter wasn't good at the end, and neither Dunham or Blackburn were good NHL goalies. Now much of the blame should be credited to the lame rangers defense over the years, and Blackburn may have eventually become a real good NHL goalie, but he was rushed, and very inconsistant, ala Fleury of two years ago.
Richter did fall apart at the end, true, but he was awsome for most of his career. And Dunham had a couple of really good years - 02/03 in particular where his gaa was below 2.3.

Blackburn was a rising star before his injury, and rushed as you said. We'll never know how he would have turned out.

My point anyway was that the Rags never really were without a #1 goalie. Or put another way, goaltending was never the cause of the team's losing ways. I think the biggest problem was a lack of chemistry, caused by Sather's obsession with buying talent and throwing players together willy-nilly hoping something stuck on the wall.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
  #25
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river
 
2Leetch_94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Richter did fall apart at the end, true, but he was awsome for most of his career. And Dunham had a couple of really good years - 02/03 in particular where his gaa was below 2.3.

Blackburn was a rising star before his injury, and rushed as you said. We'll never know how he would have turned out.

My point anyway was that the Rags never really were without a #1 goalie. Or put another way, goaltending was never the cause of the team's losing ways. I think the biggest problem was a lack of chemistry, caused by Sather's obsession with buying talent and throwing players together willy-nilly hoping something stuck on the wall.
Throw enough **** at the wall, naturally some sticks. Not enough in Sather's case the last several years.

2Leetch_94 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.