HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How were the rangers built?

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 09:09 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
How were the rangers built?

i think this team will be a final 4, great goaltending, tons of skilled forwards, great role players and i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.

so how did sather turn a laughing stock of a franchise to a cup contender?

what trades, signings etc. built this team?

Old
03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i think this team will be a final 4, great goaltending, tons of skilled forwards, great role players and i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.

Bettman and the cap...oh and Jagrs having fun.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Grave77digger

Lots of Czechs... no joke it worked for the Pens in there last play off run

Old
03-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Grave77digger

8 Czechs on the roster makes Jags very happy.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Sather used to be one of the best minds in hockey and exceptional at building strong teams. With the big NY Rangers checkbook, it almost looks like he got complacent over the past few seasons, just snagging any old free agents. Maybe now that the cap is in place, and Sather was forced to think again, the sharp old hockey mind had to come back into play.

I'd also give a lot of credit to coach Tom Renney on getting this team to finally play like a team - a factor which was sorely lacking for a long time.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:24 PM
VC

Team chemistry, get players that will play with and for eachother

Old
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Dumb luck.

Honestly, Sather was as bad a GM as anyone in the NHL since he came to NY. If he knew Lundqvist was so good, why draft Montoya? I give him no credit at all.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Bettman and the cap...oh and Jagrs having fun.
There's a lot of truth in that statement.

The ultimate irony of this season is that the team which was MISTAKENLY held up for years as the example of how big market teams could simply buy their way to success (what success?) are now kicking butt under small market rules.

Sather's purging of under-performing big names at the '04 deadline should not be overlooked. Likewise, he made some sensational player personnel evaluations about acquisitions between the last NHL season and this one: Nylander, Straka (risen from the dead), Roszival, etc....Add a couple of sensational rookies and a work ethic that was missing for nearly a decade and there's your answer.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
True North

Send a message via MSN to True North
It's funny...mostly stemming from the 1994 defeat of the Canucks, I've grown up to hate the Rangers in every way possible. But this year, I've done a complete 180, and I've found myself pulling for them this season. They use to be the New York Yankees of the NHL...throwing ludicrous contracts at players, basically trying to buy a Stanley Cup, and now that they've finally gotten away from that, they're actually winning on the principles of hard work and team unity. It's hard not to pull for them.

for the Rangers. I hope you go far.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Dumb luck.

Honestly, Sather was as bad a GM as anyone in the NHL since he came to NY. If he knew Lundqvist was so good, why draft Montoya? I give him no credit at all.

Maybe because we had no other goalie prospects other than Lundqvist worth a damn. I don't know... I'm not a GM, but depth seems to be something they like to have.

Also one might point to Dan Blackburns injury concerns as a good reason to draft another goaltender.

Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Dumb luck.

I don't think he did know Hank was that good.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Dumb luck.

Exactly. Whoever decided that goaltending depth was important?

Maybe it was Dan Blackburn.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:37 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.
I think most Rangers fans would disagree, and that was before the horrific giveaway to gagne on Wednesday night.

The difference in the Rangers ???

#1. Coaching - they actually play team defense for the first time in about a decade.

#2. Jagr - surrounding him with all the Czechs has him happy and motivated, he's been the NHL's best player

#3. Lundqvist - very good goaltending behind solid team defense.

As to a final four team - possible, but I would doubt it.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan
I'd also give a lot of credit to coach Tom Renney on getting this team to finally play like a team - a factor which was sorely lacking for a long time.
I guess they really responded to his "No Beer on the Plane" policy. Good thing Tikkanen's not on the team anymore.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i love the acquistion of ozo, he fits this team perfectly.

Are you crazy?!?

Old
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL

u misspelled jagr.
but seriously, team seems to be built around him (for him?). they acquired several ppl who have played well w/ jagr--straka, nylander, rucinsky. and all the czechs.

and players like rucchin, moore, betts, ortmeyer, hollweg provide checking,
defense, and work ethic that was missing before.

salary cap helped, i think. made them get away from just buying talent.

lundqvist has been huge; w/o him, NYR aren't contenders.

Old
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan
Sather used to be one of the best minds in hockey and exceptional at building strong teams. With the big NY Rangers checkbook, it almost looks like he got complacent over the past few seasons, just snagging any old free agents. Maybe now that the cap is in place, and Sather was forced to think again, the sharp old hockey mind had to come back into play.

Exactly. Sather didn't just forget how to build a hockey team. The payroll flexibility allowed him to get complacent and just go after big time free agents in an effort to patch up a bullet wound with a band-aid. With the cap, he had to build more of a "team", which is his strong point. He has a superstar forward, a superstar goalie, and has meshed solid free agents with other young, hungry players. The result is a strong team that has the ability to go deep in the playoffs. Renney also deserves a lot of credit, the perfect coach for a team like this.

Old
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think most Rangers fans would disagree, and that was before the horrific giveaway to gagne on Wednesday night.

#1. Coaching - they actually play team defense for the first time in about a decade.

#2. Jagr - surrounding him with all the Czechs has him happy and motivated, he's been the NHL's best player

As to a final four team - possible, but I would doubt it.
I think you've got it right here. Surprising for a Flyers fan...

Old
03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
NYRangers

A couple things...

Renney making the team work hard.
Jagr's revival
Good rookies -- Prucha, Lundqvist, Tyutin, Moore, Hollweg
Hidden talent thats worked well -- Rozival, Ward

They just play well together. The defense has been good yet we don't have any big names. Kaspar, Tyutin, Rozival, Strudwick, Ozolinsh, Poti, Malik.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
alecfromtherock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5056
It's funny...mostly stemming from the 1994 defeat of the Canucks, I've grown up to hate the Rangers in every way possible. But this year, I've done a complete 180, and I've found myself pulling for them this season. They use to be the New York Yankees of the NHL...throwing ludicrous contracts at players, basically trying to buy a Stanley Cup, and now that they've finally gotten away from that, they're actually winning on the principles of hard work and team unity. It's hard not to pull for them.

for the Rangers. I hope you go far.
The only thing that was simular between the Rangers and the NYY is having the highest paid players and payroll.

NYY are the unquestionable best baseball team of all-time whereas the Rangers ...

It is pure irony that the Rags could not ‘buy’ a Cup for decades yet when a salary cap is introduced they come out smelling like a rose.

Does this mean that former high-spender Toronto will be playoff contender/threat any decade soon?

NOPE

Old
03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
doublejack

Quote:

#2 and team chemistry in general I believe are the biggest difference. The Rags have always had pretty good goaltending going all the way back to Vanbiesbrouck through Richter, Dunham and Blackburn. They always seem to have at least a decent to outstanding goalie. But now they play with a solid sense of team spirit. They even do that fan salute after games. The good chemistry has motivated Jagr to be the player he was 10 years ago, and he's carrying the team on his back.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
#2 and team chemistry in general I believe are the biggest difference. The Rags have always had pretty good goaltending going all the way back to Vanbiesbrouck through Richter, Dunham and Blackburn. They always seem to have at least a decent to outstanding goalie.
Richter wasn't good at the end, and neither Dunham or Blackburn were good NHL goalies. Now much of the blame should be credited to the lame rangers defense over the years, and Blackburn may have eventually become a real good NHL goalie, but he was rushed, and very inconsistant, ala Fleury of two years ago.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:56 PM
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river

Yep, who the hell needs goaltending depth. NOBODY thought Lundqvist would be this good this fast coming over from Sweden. After Lundqvist, Rangers had nobody unless you're one of the Ranger fans that thinks Chris Holt has supassed Montoya You never know when injuries can happen, and having two great goaltending prospects never hurts anyone.

But, to get to the question...Rangers signed Jagr's buddies, he plays with his buddies, he's playing MVP Hockey, and the Rangers have young hard working kids that do the dirty work of killing off the numerous penalties we take. Our goaltending has been excellent and we're getting a lot of lucky bounces for a change. We're creating them for once. Who knew team chemistry and effort could go a long way though I'm not sold on this team making it to the Eastern Conference Finals. We'll see

Old
03-24-2006, 10:01 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Richter wasn't good at the end, and neither Dunham or Blackburn were good NHL goalies. Now much of the blame should be credited to the lame rangers defense over the years, and Blackburn may have eventually become a real good NHL goalie, but he was rushed, and very inconsistant, ala Fleury of two years ago.
Richter did fall apart at the end, true, but he was awsome for most of his career. And Dunham had a couple of really good years - 02/03 in particular where his gaa was below 2.3.

Blackburn was a rising star before his injury, and rushed as you said. We'll never know how he would have turned out.

My point anyway was that the Rags never really were without a #1 goalie. Or put another way, goaltending was never the cause of the team's losing ways. I think the biggest problem was a lack of chemistry, caused by Sather's obsession with buying talent and throwing players together willy-nilly hoping something stuck on the wall.

Old
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Richter did fall apart at the end, true, but he was awsome for most of his career. And Dunham had a couple of really good years - 02/03 in particular where his gaa was below 2.3.

Blackburn was a rising star before his injury, and rushed as you said. We'll never know how he would have turned out.

My point anyway was that the Rags never really were without a #1 goalie. Or put another way, goaltending was never the cause of the team's losing ways. I think the biggest problem was a lack of chemistry, caused by Sather's obsession with buying talent and throwing players together willy-nilly hoping something stuck on the wall.
Throw enough **** at the wall, naturally some sticks. Not enough in Sather's case the last several years.

Closed Thread