HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Jason Botterill hired as new General Manager

Old
05-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Heraldic

vCash: 500
Botteril seems to be a really different type of GM compared to Murray. Personality and background (area of expertise, to be precise) taking into account especially.

His presser was solid, but it remains to be seen how he actually operates. I'm not sure how I feel about the rumors him bringing so many guys from Pittsburgh here - especially coach (Tocchet). I hope he just doesn't try to mimic what is going on in Pittsburgh. I rather hope he uses his experience and implements elements suitable and let's room for own ideas as well.

Heraldic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 06:26 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbadosSlim View Post
It was just mentioned in the Pens/Sens intermission that Penguins' Directors of Amateur/Pro Scouting Randy Sexton and Derek Clancey will be joining Botterill here. According to reports
Not that I thought Buffalo drafting was bad but this is great news for you guys. Part of the reason Botterill has been able to keep the Pens successful within the cap is because of smart drafting.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heraldic View Post
Botteril seems to be a really different type of GM compared to Murray. Personality and background (area of expertise, to be precise) taking into account especially.

His presser was solid, but it remains to be seen how he actually operates. I'm not sure how I feel about the rumors him bringing so many guys from Pittsburgh here - especially coach (Tocchet). I hope he just doesn't try to mimic what is going on in Pittsburgh. I rather hope he uses his experience and implements elements suitable and let's room for own ideas as well.
The difference between Murray's style and Botterill's seems like it it straight out of the "follow up a player's coach with a disciplinarian" playbook.

At the end of the day, it isn't about HOW Botterill does things. It's about what can he accomplish during his time as the Sabres GM.

And that jury shouldn't be out for 3 to 5 years.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Myers888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The difference between Murray's style and Botterill's seems like it it straight out of the "follow up a player's coach with a disciplinarian" playbook.

At the end of the day, it isn't about HOW Botterill does things. It's about what can he accomplish during his time as the Sabres GM.

Botts has already indicated that he is leaning towards being patient. He wants to bring in supporting players to ROR & Eichel. To me that means experienced, vet forwards who obviously are not on the team at the moment.

Fully expecting Ghule/Nylander/Baptiste/Bailey/ERod/Fasching to start the season in Rochester. Could be a nucleus to a strong team down on the farm.

Myers888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 11:56 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

The impatient vocal vast minority didn't afford Murray that luxury. They will whine and cry about JB in short order i'm sure.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:03 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 326

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Dex
Complementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The impatient vocal vast minority didn't afford Murray that luxury. They will whine and cry about JB in short order i'm sure.
As sure as the sun rises and sets, so will be the whining and crying. Question is, how long is the honeymoon period. I'm giving it 2 weeks. Once coaching candidates start being leaked, all bets are off.

Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
As sure as the sun rises and sets, so will be the whining and crying. Question is, how long is the honeymoon period. I'm giving it 2 weeks. Once coaching candidates start being leaked, all bets are off.
As soon as a conveted coach doesn't sign with the Sabres... it will 100% be JB's fault

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
As soon as a conveted coach doesn't sign with the Sabres... it will 100% be JB's fault

Exhibit A is the TBN article saying he's on the hot seat with the coaching hire.

Exhibit B was a sports talk show in Rochester I heard saying that Botterill has a much shorter leash than Beane because the Sabres have a better base and should make the playoffs faster than the Bills.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Book from my Pittsburgh fan friends is they are upset Botterill left. He was allegedly supposed to take over for Rutherford after 2 years, but after 5 years Rutherford still won't step aside/up, and they would rather have Botterill going forward.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Heraldic

Quote:

Absolutely. In the end the results matter.

It's just kind of weird (at least for the start) to have so different type of GM personality wise. Murray sure wasn't your typical GM in that regard, and from a fan perspective he was a quite refreshing and entertaining case.

But in the end that's not relevant at all. Results are that matters.

Heraldic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 07:59 AM
26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
Is that good or bad? In recent years the Pens didn't strike me as a good drafting team.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Ristoreilly
aka jawallstar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
Pittsburgh said no lateral moves so if he's coming it's either Director of Scouting or AGM. I would guess the latter.

Ristoreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:07 AM
snowshoes1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Is that good or bad? In recent years the Pens didn't strike me as a good drafting team.
Without having any knowledge about the Pens' organizational structure or the gentleman mentioned, I would opine that IMO given the unpredictability of drafting 18 and 19-year-olds we should be judging scouting based on process and not necessarily results. (Plus, we very rarely know who made the call on what. What part did Rutherford play? How much weight was given to Sexton or Botterrill's thoughts?)

Given that J-Bots seems organized and process-driven, if he can bring another person into the organization whose perspective dovetails with his own, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

snowshoes1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Others have debunked the merits of B & B deserving to be up full time last season. But it doesn't stop there. What do you do with foligno & Ennis? Declare them fake injured? Move them for a 3rd rounder each? That's perhaps not the best asset mgmt. in season.
Just for the sake of argument, if you have players worthy of roster spots, having less-worthy players in front of them is not a reason to hold them back. You either trade the less-worthy players or adjust other parts of the roster to make room.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddy View Post
is that good or bad? In recent years the pens didn't strike me as a good drafting team.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:09 AM
MurrayForPrez

He is on WGR550 with the Instigators at the moment

MurrayForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:17 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Sounds like he really wants to make Rochester a success and better environment for the young guys. I never understood why Murray was content fielding such a crap AHL team.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Sabresfansince1980

What about Sexton being named GM of Rochester? Is that a promotion?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:23 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Sounds like he really wants to make Rochester a success and better environment for the young guys. I never understood why Murray was content fielding such a crap AHL team.
Look at his history as Binghamton GM. Last place teams almost every year except the one year they won the cup.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Ristoreilly
aka jawallstar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
What about Sexton being named GM of Rochester? Is that a promotion?
Yes because 9 times out of ten the GM of the AHL team is also the AGM of the NHL team.

Ristoreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:35 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 326
Credit to @WGR550 - @TheInstigators - @pham1717 - for the tweets below.

@TheInstigators - Coming up at 10:00 am ET - Sabres GM Jason Botterill will be joining the Instigators.

Botterill - "We've always stressed in Pittsburgh the importance of character."
Botterill - Had amateur and pro scouting meetings last week. Said he's getting to know them and their work.
Botterill - Thinks there will be a huge improvement in Rochester this year. "It's a key element to where this organization wants to go."
Botterill - "We will look to bring some solid veterans into Rochester."
Botterill - "Having the veterans in Rochester really helps with the development of the younger players in the AHL."
Botterill - "I think the American Hockey League is beneficial for most players."
Botterill - "As long as there is good communication, hopefully the players will respect the team's decision and understand the situation."
Botterill - "Everyone thinks they're ready for the NHL. Has to be an understanding and a trust level between the players and organization."
Botterill - "The first thing I've been blown away is with the resources available to the players."
Botterill - "Important to have the coach in place by the draft."
Botterill - "I don't know who I want for the coach. We don't have a specific name, but there are guys I want to talk to."
Botterill - "Until you get into the interview process, you don't know."
Botterill - "It's going to be key to make the GM-head coach relationship strong in order to make the organization strong."
Botterill - "It's going to be the coach and I making decision on the next captain."
Botterill - "Management can't force the coach-captain relationship."
Botterill - "It has to be a group effort with the players and coaches. If there is not a good support group, it's not going to work."
Botterill - "I can't say anything yet on Antipin, but we're excited for the possibility. He's the type of player we need more of."

Last edited by LaxSabre: 05-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:43 AM
26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

"The first thing I've been blown away is with the resources available to the players."

What was the question or what was he referencing with this?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote