HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Ovechkin Played Through a Lower-Body Injury, "Pain-Numbing Injections."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2017, 07:16 PM
  #26
Portable Mink
Go Walker!
 
Portable Mink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,210
vCash: 500
the fact he couldnt skate made that obvious.
if he wants to get back to his best, he will lose 20lb and get as flexible as he can.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2017, 07:47 PM
  #27
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,190
vCash: 500
Russian Machine Sometimes Breaks

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2017, 07:58 PM
  #28
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 51,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
With 10 assist?
that's funny. 21 actually. The reverse of Backstrom who had 20 and 50.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2017, 08:52 PM
  #29
TRASHCAT
Registered User
 
TRASHCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Mink View Post
the fact he couldnt skate made that obvious.
if he wants to get back to his best, he will lose 20lb and get as flexible as he can.
He won't, he doesn't care.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2017, 08:56 PM
  #30
Langway
\_(ツ)_/
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,045
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
He won't, he doesn't care.
He may want to be at his best for the Olympics, though. So he can compete with a bunch of amateurs...and lose.

Edit: More seriously re: the Olympics, that's the convenient out here. If Leonsis wants to get out of the contract he may well be able to persuade Ovechkin to "retire" and head to the KHL, where he'll be spoiled like never before and be free to play in the games. It could be the best for all parties. The Caps would only get cap space but in terms of change it's probably the most realistic scenario. That whole demand of his would greatly complicate any NHL trade scenario and, barring that, it also has significant distraction potential for next season if they're a fringe team.


Last edited by Langway; 05-11-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 08:39 AM
  #31
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
He may want to be at his best for the Olympics, though. So he can compete with a bunch of amateurs...and lose.

Edit: More seriously re: the Olympics, that's the convenient out here. If Leonsis wants to get out of the contract he may well be able to persuade Ovechkin to "retire" and head to the KHL, where he'll be spoiled like never before and be free to play in the games. It could be the best for all parties. The Caps would only get cap space but in terms of change it's probably the most realistic scenario. That whole demand of his would greatly complicate any NHL trade scenario and, barring that, it also has significant distraction potential for next season if they're a fringe team.
That's only if you think he really doesn't want to win the cup.

I think he just doesn't know how and lacks some skills, not the desire.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 08:51 AM
  #32
twabby
Registered User
 
twabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Questioning his deteriorating skills and how they relate to his burdensome salary for the next 4 years is a perfectly sane and reasonable thing to do.

Anyone questioning his heart or desire is baselessly speculating at best and maliciously attacking at worst. Be better. There are far more reasonable explanations for the Capitals' failures in the playoffs than Ovechkin's lack of heart.

twabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 10:20 AM
  #33
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,546
vCash: 500
I'm not as worried about Ovie's mobility (still a concern) as I am about his hands. He was a turnover machine this year, especially in the O zone. He looked like a guy playing in a beer league above his level, who thinks he needs to get the puck off his stick ASAP.

I assume that's not totally due to injury, since the hands have been getting worse since the Oates era.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 12:07 PM
  #34
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 16,581
vCash: 500
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-get-success/

more details on the injuries. Kadri hit did hurt his knee, says hammy injury in game 3 of Pens series was more serious

__________________
g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 12:22 PM
  #35
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,978
vCash: 50
so.... what happened to his hands. Its like he is handling a hand grenade, get rid of it quick. Game 4, wow he just looked especially awful with the puck. G4 he lost a puck at the bench without a fight that led directly to a GA.

It's like he has little confidence on the puck anywhere but unchecked skating at the goalie. Of course Pitt had been hounding all our players all series, but it was off the charts easy to take the puck from him.

He has always been the bull in the china shop vs the fancy francis type, but he didn't used to lose the puck skating at 400 km/hr like he does now, at any speed.


Last edited by RandyHolt; 05-12-2017 at 01:04 PM..
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 12:37 PM
  #36
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-get-success/

more details on the injuries. Kadri hit did hurt his knee, says hammy injury in game 3 of Pens series was more serious
He didn't exactly light things up in Game 1 and 2.

Sorry, don't care.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 01:30 PM
  #37
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Ovechkin scored 50 goals as recently as.....last season??
Ovechkin used to get 110 points, he has been declining. don't play dumb.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 01:38 PM
  #38
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 18,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Has a picture of his leg been posted yet? If not here you go. Nasty.

https://www.russianmachineneverbreak...ovechkins-leg/

Still...


WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 01:44 PM
  #39
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,978
vCash: 50
I want a captain that busts his hump for more than just the games he is not injured in the playoffs. Either they need to be a rah rah guy in the room, or giving the effort out on the ice. But that is just me, and yes I am fine with the heartache and drama drama it will create in the locker room and canada. Rip the C off and stick it on Cherry's ****ing forehead for all I care. If the room cannot handle the drama of a captaincy change, we have no chance to win a game 7 down a goal. Out with the worthless and weak.

As the infamous Dean Wormer said sarcastically, a fine example you set. We need an example set, and I don't think Ovi is that example. He will energize the team with his goals and hits like he always has, with or without a C made in china sewn onto his jersey.

Something has to change, and I think easing expectations and responsibilities on him may actually help more than hurt. Can Ovi or anyone hurt more than they are now?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 01:51 PM
  #40
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 16,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Has a picture of his leg been posted yet? If not here you go. Nasty.

https://www.russianmachineneverbreak...ovechkins-leg/

Still...

Come on. That's not normal "bumps and bruises". It appears to be from a pretty serious grade 3 strain/tear.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 02:29 PM
  #41
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 18,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Come on. That's not normal "bumps and bruises". It appears to be from a pretty serious grade 3 strain/tear.
I will never question a hockey players toughness but that toughness can also be a negative. Especially when its as serious as that looks.

Not a fan of the cloak and dagger stance on injuries in the NHL. And it really pisses me off to hear about **** like this after another choke in the playoffs where us fans spend a lot of time arguing back and forth about suspected injuries to explain poor play.

Is OV with a grade 3 hammy tear good enough to win a SC? Clearly not. Especially considering his performance in game 7. So why play him with that? Because Russian Machine Never Breaks? Would the Pens series have been different if OV sat a couple games to allow someone with two working legs to play? We will never know.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 02:47 PM
  #42
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 36,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Come on. That's not normal "bumps and bruises". It appears to be from a pretty serious grade 3 strain/tear.
Looks like a tear to me.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 02:50 PM
  #43
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 16,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I will never question a hockey players toughness but that toughness can also be a negative. Especially when its as serious as that looks.

Not a fan of the cloak and dagger stance on injuries in the NHL. And it really pisses me off to hear about **** like this after another choke in the playoffs where us fans spend a lot of time arguing back and forth about suspected injuries to explain poor play.

Is OV with a grade 3 hammy tear good enough to win a SC? Clearly not. Especially considering his performance in game 7. So why play him with that? Because Russian Machine Never Breaks? Would the Pens series have been different if OV sat a couple games to allow someone with two working legs to play? We will never know.
Yeah I don't know the answer. Only the players and trainers and coaches can really make the call on who plays and who sits.

But it explains little things like one pass Shattenkirk made to Ovechkin in the neutral zone that was way too hard and too far ahead, and Ovie didn't even try to sprint for it. Just stood still and looked at 22 who kind of looked at the rafters.

If you have a torn hammy and you're hopped up on drugs you're probably not going to have burst. And this would explain why Ovie's choppy steps looked like skating in mud. He could lift but not push.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
  #44
drmagg
Don't
 
drmagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Guam
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He didn't exactly light things up in Game 1 and 2.

Sorry, don't care.
He scored 4 points in first three games and 1 in next four. Hamstring injury which he talks about was at the end of game 3.

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 05:20 PM
  #45
thelebaron
Registered User
 
thelebaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: san franfrisco
Posts: 346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I will never question a hockey players toughness but that toughness can also be a negative. Especially when its as serious as that looks.
I totally agree with this. Like in the situation of Alzner, I cant help but think he ruined himself keeping on that ironman streak. If he had taken significant time off, I wonder how things wouldve turned out, and its not like the team regularly hurts for points in the regular season, so why put undue risk on yourself playing through things?

thelebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 06:49 PM
  #46
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 20,890
vCash: 439
Stripping Ovechkin of the captaincy will bring nothing positive, only humiliation for him. If that's the plan, we might as well play it smooth and trade him.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 07:15 PM
  #47
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,790
vCash: 500
...and the excuses coming rolling in.


EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 07:27 PM
  #48
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,978
vCash: 50
Maybe our coach could just ask him if he wants to be captain. Lay out the responsibilities he expects of his captain, and see if he'd rather not be. All behind closed doors. As I understand it, his teammates elected him for obvious reasons. It does not mean he wanted it, or embraced it.

Is the new coach saying he wants no C in July, or rotating Cs through the season etc, really more humiliating for him than all the game 7 / 2nd round failures under his leadership... finding himself with low TOI, or becoming a 3rd liner... I just don't see it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 07:35 PM
  #49
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 20,890
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe our coach could just ask him if he wants to be captain. Lay out the responsibilities he expects of his captain, and see if he'd rather not be. All behind closed doors. As I understand it, his teammates elected him for obvious reasons. It does not mean he wanted it, or embraced it.

Is the new coach saying he wants no C in July, or rotating Cs through the season etc, really more humiliating for him than all the game 7 / 2nd round failures under his leadership... finding himself with low TOI, or becoming a 3rd liner... I just don't see it.
It is. That's why I want to see him traded. Something needs to change but we don't have to humiliate him. In any case, the window of contention was slammed shut by this playoff loss, Caps need to become a young team. The NHL is now a young man's game, Ovi is a thing of the past at this point.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 07:57 PM
  #50
Revelation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
...and the excuses coming rolling in.

Yeah the dude was unable to carry the team on one leg, what a loser

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.