HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ozolinsh Is A Maniac

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 12:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Ozolinsh Is A Maniac

I can't figure out if this guy is going to win us the cup or give up the goal that ends the season. If he's not making mad rushes into the offensive zone he's giving away the puck in front of the net. He is making these games nail biters for sure. I love that he gets so much ice time, but when I hear Rosen say his name I'm never sure if I should be excited or scared. That Overtime was a Thrill.

I like it...he reminds me of Charlie Sheen in that Baseball movie where he's the crazy pitcher with the all the right stuff but throws wild.

I'm getting me a new Jersey #24

Old
03-25-2006, 02:01 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
ozolinsh is border line pitiful. i'd rather have a free turkey sub and have to start purinton than having him in the line up

Old
03-25-2006, 02:03 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
ozolinsh is border line pitiful. i'd rather have a free turkey sub and have to start purinton than having him in the line up
wouldnt go that far

Old
03-25-2006, 02:56 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
yeah ok dude....have you watched poti for the past 4 years? Ozolinsh is the best offensive D we have. People blow Tyutin....but I think he's insanely overrated...he may be young and have upside...but people act like he's great already...he's an average D...flat out. Ozolinsh is sick......but yes I do agree he needs to take care of his zone more. But he's a maverick...and I LOVE those types.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot
I can't figure out if this guy is going to win us the cup or give up the goal that ends the season. If he's not making mad rushes into the offensive zone he's giving away the puck in front of the net. He is making these games nail biters for sure. I love that he gets so much ice time, but when I hear Rosen say his name I'm never sure if I should be excited or scared. That Overtime was a Thrill.

I like it...he reminds me of Charlie Sheen in that Baseball movie where he's the crazy pitcher with the all the right stuff but throws wild.

I'm getting me a new Jersey #24
You are referring to Slick Rick Vaughn...aka Wild Thing...in Major League

Old
03-25-2006, 03:00 AM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Love your thread title!

I was an old Nords fan and I can say that this guy can come up huge! Or do the most idiotic thing you have ever seen. I still think he is worth the risk, however.
(On good teams, will bring in more good)

Old
03-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Fletch

Ozo's disappointed thus far...

his defensive inability doesn't make up for his offensive ability. And he's not creating a heck of a lot out there, unless you count that great pass to Sykora for the slapshot goal last night. Pretty elementary.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
he's not creating a heck of a lot out there, unless you count that great pass to Sykora for the slapshot goal last night. Pretty elementary.
I can't agree...he is making plays...he's not racking up points by happenstance..and man he is not shy about jumping into the offense...how did this guy ever become a D man?

I think his presence is felt by the other teams...he's another offensive threat and they have to watch him closely which means less energy sent Jagrs way...even if it's a split second of extra concentration sent to Oz that's all JJ needs a lot of the time to make his move.

The O seems to be very natural to him but the D just looks forced...if they can ever get this guy to play more comfortable D in his zone..I wonder if Renny can teach and old horse a new trick

Old
03-25-2006, 08:38 AM
shoothepuck

He's one of those players that gives people heart attacks, you never know if hes going to make a great pass/shot, or give it up.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:39 AM
bathgate

Ozo is brutal. He will cost us playoff games.I'll take my chance in a 1-0 game. We do not need his mindless mistakes

Old
03-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Ola

Ozolinsh have played I don't know how many seasons in the NHL, NOT giving away scoring oppertunitys on a game by game basis. He is not good defensivly, but not extremely bad either. Defenitly not. Playing together with Forsberg I've been forced to watch hundreds of games with him on TV in Sweden.

His downside is defenitly his defense. But I doubt he have made more then 10 give aways like the one against Flyers in his entire career. More then anything his passing game is his strength, the defensive breakdowns he have had have been more of lost one on one battles ect.

Guys we must realize that basically all players have ups and downs. Vets on this board claimed that Immonen was better then Nylander when Nylander had a bad stretch. When one player have 2-3 bad games there is always someone who keeps complaining on that player for the next 50 games, trying to make a point. All players have bad stretches.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:24 AM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85
yeah ok dude....have you watched poti for the past 4 years? Ozolinsh is the best offensive D we have. People blow Tyutin....but I think he's insanely overrated...he may be young and have upside...but people act like he's great already...he's an average D...flat out. Ozolinsh is sick......but yes I do agree he needs to take care of his zone more. But he's a maverick...and I LOVE those types.
Yea he's almost as bad as Poti was when Poti was playing poorly. A couple times a game they'll be up ice and maybe create something and the rest of the game they're terrible.

Personally I hate what I see from Ozo so far. We all knew he doesn't hit, he's pretty bad defensively, and he'll turn the puck over. But he's also a lot slower and a lot less of an offensive threat than I thought he'd be. Hopefully he picks it up at least one end of the ice.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:29 AM
True Blue

Quote:
his defensive inability doesn't make up for his offensive ability. And he's not creating a heck of a lot out there, unless you count that great pass to Sykora for the slapshot goal last night. Pretty elementary.
Agreed on all counts. His defensive lapses have not been covered up by what he "creates". He "creates" for the other team as much, if not more, than for his own. He has no regard whatsoever to making the right play coming out of his own zone. He just seems to want to get the puck out as soon as possible. Hence, the blind behind-the-back passes that keep getting picked off.
I do not think that it is a coincidence that the defensive game has gone to crap since he came on board.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:32 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85
deep breath.

we aren't an offensive minded defensive team. he throws off the balance way too much *because he's terrible on defense*. id honestly settle for playing him 14 minutes a game and having 75% of that be on the PP.

sorry for the turkey sub analogy, i had one too many cold ones last night. proves that only a drunk person would want purinton in the line up

if you think toots is average and ozolinsh is sick...

Last edited by nyrmessier011: 03-25-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old
03-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Ozolinsh hasn't been helped by filling in for Ranger pillars on defense, as opposed to taking the 6 spot away from Strudwick or Pock. The blue line is a wreck because Kaspar and Malik haven't been on it regularly, not becasue Ozolinsh has.

Not a fan of Sandis, but there just weren't/aren't any better options out there that wouldn't have cost the Rangers an arm and a leg to acquire.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Fletch

The defense..

looked better with Struds, and his offense hasn't made up for it yet.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
bk3nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Guys we must realize that basically all players have ups and downs. Vets on this board claimed that Immonen was better then Nylander when Nylander had a bad stretch. When one player have 2-3 bad games there is always someone who keeps complaining on that player for the next 50 games, trying to make a point. All players have bad stretches.
Ola is the voice of reason here... We should also remember that Ozo has not played in many games this season due to injury and rehab. I like his tendency to pinch and to join the rush - this is something we haven't seen much of from our D all season. I'm willing to stick with Ozo and give him a chance at this point.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
looked better with Struds, and his offense hasn't made up for it yet.
In agree.

It doesn't help being paired with Poti, but Ozo is a mess back there.

It seems to me that the entire team of late has tried to make cute little passes in their own zone instead of just clearing the puck.

03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
In agree.

It doesn't help being paired with Poti, but Ozo is a mess back there.

It seems to me that the entire team of late has tried to make cute little passes in their own zone instead of just clearing the puck.
You are right. Calling Ozo a mess is being generous. The problem is that it seems that his carelessness has somehow spread to the rest of the team. It seems that almost every time there is a rather poorous defensive play or a careless giveaway, he is in the middle of it.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
JerseyRangers

I expect him to improve but right now everytime bOzo is out there I kinda get the same feeling as I used to earlier in the season with Poti - something bad is going to happen. For a defensmen with as much experience as he has its scary to see him panic and run around in his own zone as much as he has been. Honestly, Pock looked better in his own zone then bOzo does right now.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:10 AM
bathgate

It seems with Kaspar, Struds, and the combo of Malik/'Rozie, there is a semblance of physical play. Substituting Ozo,aka as no defense, we lose whatever physical play we have. This team, despite Jagr, is built for defense first. We can't change the character of the team

Old
03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
bubba5

Everytime I see Ozy on the ice I get the same feeling I had when Kamensky was here.

Should have gotten Leetch, he is at least still a good defenseman!

Old
03-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Fletch

The Rangers are...

3 and 5 since Ozo joined them, beating three teams that aren't very good. The Rangers' success this season is largely attributable to its team defense, including its goalie, its special teams play, especially the PK, and Jagr, mostly, and the forwards' ability to apply pressure and keep pressure off the defense. Ozo has not helped in the areas that made this team successful, and obviously was brought in to provide another element. He is an offensive talent that takes chances. Of course his -4 in 8 games tells me that his offensive talent is not making up for his defensive lapses as more goals against are being scored when he's on the ice, and I do attribute many of the goals against on him. I don't attribute all the goals for o him, even the ones in which he's tallied an assist - getting the puck to Jagr, or the other point man, on the PP is something most monkeys can do (and all his points are on the PP, interstingly enough). I can't say what Ozo will do from now through the playoffs, but thus far, in my opinion, a problem may've been fixed (if you believe the PP's resurgence is him and not 95% Jagr), but a bigger problem was created. I've seen Ozo play good all-around hockey in stints - hopefully he's due come playoff time - of course, we'll watch him all next season too.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Fletch

Not so much cute passes, SBoB...

they're not thinking quickly like they used to and are making bad reads. Since returning, Malik has been uncharacteristically bad. He's been making bad passes and not handling the puck well. He actually looks a bit awkward out there at times. I wonder if his shoulder was fully-healed because even though I'm not a Malik fan, over the mid-December until his injury span, he was pretty solid.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
JerseyRangers

Since the Olympic break defensively the team has looked outta sync. As well as everyone was playing before the break, almost everyone has stunk since the break. Seems like Malik and Kaspar came outta the break a little worn down and they've struggled at times which has trickled down to the other d-men. The schedule doesn't let up until the playoffs so they are going to have to play their way outta of it.

Closed Thread