HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Bergevin - Le Chateau Purple Pants Edition (Mod warning post #514)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2017, 06:33 PM
jayhabs

vCash: 500
Marc Bergevin - Le Chateau Purple Pants Edition (Mod warning post #514)

Old one was full. Another title!

Old one was finished in 2 days

Old
05-11-2017, 06:36 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
If only he could manage a team like he manages his wardrobe.

Oh wait, that's exactly how he manages this team.

Old
05-11-2017, 06:40 PM
jayhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Nah, I think there is more skill in his wardrobe then there is on the Habs

I actually supported MB until the end of this season, even then was quite neutral toward him. But his lack of action coupled with the arrogance of his press conference make me want a new GM.

Old
05-11-2017, 06:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

He's gotta look good for L'AntiChambre right!

All that matters is appearances, character and da grind!!

Old
05-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

We deserve better. Nuff said.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:05 PM
OnceWasNot

He should resign and go manage an ice cream stand, though even that may be too much for him handle.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hey, the Rangers are dissapointed with their run.....but, why should we right?

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-lik...?tid=287339198
Who said you shouldn't be disapointed?

I'm disappointed, but there's a difference in being disappointed and apocalyptical narrative.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Bloumeister
Weakileaks source

In honor of the new thread title, from November's Weakileaks - the Foxhole emails GDT:

(read email thread from the bottom up)

Le Chateau indeed

(click here for full-size email if your browser shrinks it)

Old
05-11-2017, 07:17 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

I'm disappointed, but there's a difference in being disappointed and apocalyptical narrative.
The stanley cup window, with this core, has closed.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Runner77

vCash: 10351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Le Chateau indeed

(click here for full-size email if your browser shrinks it)
Nothing like an email trail to support the decision-making that went into opting for those purple clown pants. Nicely done, Blou.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:24 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Those pants are just.. awful

And why did he put those socks with them?

I just... Don't get it.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
OnTheRun
Cheerleader

Samantha Dudley-Carrière!? They are breeding now, Bergy what have you done!

Old
05-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

There is no "apocalyptical narrative". That's just a silly expression used by apologists. The world moves on, the sun will set and rise, and hockey will be played again in October.

But as it stands, this team is in bad shape and the GM is the cause of this. That is not called an apocalypse.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Belial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The stanley cup window, with this core, has closed.
What are you talking about man? Why so negative?

We had a 100+ points season with Chucky playing like crap for half the season, with Plekanec falling off a cliff, with Gallagher having his worst season in his career, with Carey struggling for a couple of months, with a young and promising rookie in Lehkonen...

Sign Radu and Marky and we have the same team next year as we did this year.

Get some help down the middle in the offseason and let's go!

All this team is trending down bs is nonsense.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

We had a 100+ points season with Chucky playing like crap for half the season, with Plekanec falling off a cliff, with Gallagher having his worst season in his career, with Carey struggling for a couple of months, with a young and promising rookie in Lehkonen...

This team will never win a cup until we manage to improve the offense.

05-11-2017, 07:49 PM
OnceWasNot

Quote:

It really does feel like end times though. Since Bergevin took over, the team has 3 playoff series wins, 2 of which came against ECHL caliber goalies. The core is 5 years older, and outside of Petry and Lehkonen, no significant long term assets have been added. The team in its current state is not good enough to beat a mediocre Rangers squad to advance beyond the first round, and BargainBin has shown no ability to fix the problems with the roster. The organisation lacks the assets to trade for a top center, and if Radulov signs elsewhere it's very likely that they miss the playoffs next year as several of the teams in our division are young and trending up.

Disappointment doesn't cut it. I was disappointed when they lost to the Sens in 2013, but remained cautiously optimistic because they were a young team with a solid core that had just bounced back from the worst season I've ever witnessed as a Habs fan. I was disappointed in 2014 when Price went down because I thought they had a real shot at making the finals, but hey, the core is still pretty young and if they add a top 6 forward or two in the offseason they'll have a good shot at going all the way next year. I was disappointed in 2015 when BargainBin failed to address the even strength offensive woes and Therrien was badly outcoached by Cooper in the Tampa series. But hey, we have the best goalie in the world and a world class defenseman in his prime, so there's still hope that this core can win a cup if the right moves are made.

Right now there's no reason to be even slightly optimistic about the future of this franchise, so why not tell it like it is? People are well justified in venting their frustration with this brainless, spineless, directionless management.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:54 PM
1stLineCenter

We are nowhere near being a contending team. My time following this team is going to be greatly reduced next season, he will not fix the problems facing the team, not worth debating or making trade proposals about, just more of the same. When a team needs two centers and a 1st pairing d you know it's in trouble, trending down with no rebuild, it is not going to be pretty.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
This team will never win a cup until we manage to improve the offense.
The fact the prospect pool is so weak is what worries me. We have fewer and fewer assets to deal as the years go by, and since we're left with picks to trade, it creates a vicious cycle of never being bad enough to get an impact player, but at the same time not having enough 2nd-3rd-4th rounder to get a steal here and there.

Old
05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Lshap

Quote:

A lot of the pessimism is overblown, it's true. A real opportunity for a playoff run was ruined by a crappy playoff series, and we're disappointed and angry at what could've been. There's more venting than actual analysis here.

But even though the Habs aren't toppling off a cliff, there is reason for concern. Markov is almost done, although none of us knows how soon. Radulov needs a contract. Galchenyuk's contract is due, with Price not far behind. And that's just management of the current roster as-is.

On top of handling existing players, the team needs to add offence and a real top-six center. Do-able? Sure. I think Bergevin will sacrifice a good player and/or prospect to add a key forward this summer. But then the logical concern is, okay, Montreal assembled a great regular season team again, but is it all for nothing if our leaders disappear in the playoffs? No way to tell right now, but the reality is there's usually no correlation between one playoff year and the next. Round-one exits and SCF appearances aren't contagious. Unfortunately, neither is making the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWasNot View Post
It really does feel like end times though. Since Bergevin took over, the team has 3 playoff series wins, 2 of which came against ECHL caliber goalies.
First of all, Hammond was the goalie who stoned the entire league for two months and dragged the Sens into the playoffs. Habs were the team that chased him, and then finished the job against Andersen.

Second, if we're making excuses for other teams, then it works in reverse. Two of our four playoff losses happened when Price was injured and the opposition was facing our lousy backups.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
The fact the prospect pool is so weak is what worries me. We have fewer and fewer assets to deal as the years go by, and since we're left with picks to trade, it creates a vicious cycle of never being bad enough to get an impact player, but at the same time not having enough 2nd-3rd-4th rounder to get a steal here and there.
I agree. This is a huge issue and the root of the problem.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
A lot of the pessimism is overblown, it's true. A real opportunity for a playoff run was ruined by a crappy playoff series, and we're disappointed and angry at what could've been. There's more venting than actual analysis here.

But even though the Habs aren't toppling off a cliff, there is reason for concern. Markov is almost done, although none of us knows how soon. Radulov needs a contract. Galchenyuk's contract is due, with Price not far behind. And that's just management of the current roster as-is.

On top of handling existing players, the team needs to add offence and a real top-six center. Do-able? Sure. I think Bergevin will sacrifice a good player and/or prospect to add a key forward this summer. But then the logical concern is, okay, Montreal assembled a great regular season team again, but is it all for nothing if our leaders disappear in the playoffs? No way to tell right now, but the reality is there's usually no correlation between one playoff year and the next. Round-one exits and SCF appearances aren't contagious. Unfortunately, neither is making the playoffs.
We have a lot of holes that need fixing. The center position is a mess. If Galchenyuk's not returning (and I don't think he is) then we not only don't have a number one, we also don't have a number two.

On the blueline our best transition defenseman is living on borrowed time and if/when Markov retires we're up the creek on that front. Meanwhile our captain has just had another rotten playoff run and I don't see any reason to think that will change. People aren't venting about nothing here.

I genuinely thought we could have a nice run this season despite the problems we have because it looked like a nice easy string of matchups. Rangers I thought for sure we'd beat and then it would be Ottawa/Boston. That would lead to an ECF against a beaten up team... Of course I also thought we'd be using Chuck in a number one or number two center role... Clearly I was mistaken. Not being able to beat the Rangers is an embarrassment as far as I'm concerned. Managing four goals total in the four games we lost is absolutely pathetic.

This team is a mess right now. If we're going to come back next year serious moves need to be made in the offseason.

Galchenyuk can't come back if we're going to use him the way we did. No way. And same with Beaulieu. We sat him out for an elimination game. Deal them both and try to get at least one of the centers we need. We'll have to get creative from there but one trade isn't going to do it. We need major changes.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:06 PM
OnceWasNot

Habs are in a similar situation to the 2012 Canucks. Missed their cup window and the core is now too old to compete. The smart move would be to trade our assets and rebuild immediately, but we'll most likely follow the same path as the Canucks and try to plug holes in the roster to remain competitive as long as possible, only delaying the inevitable.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:25 PM
OnTheRun
Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWasNot View Post
Habs are in a similar situation to the 2012 Canucks. Missed their cup window and the core is now too old to compete. The smart move would be to trade our assets and rebuild immediately, but we'll most likely follow the same path as the Canucks and try to plug holes in the roster to remain competitive as long as possible, only delaying the inevitable.
Can't do that. Can't do that until the bozo is in charge.

The idea of a team build from scratch by Bergevin is the scariest thing I can think of. Holy ****.

For now we wait, and its a small price to pay compared to the misery this country-club would bring upon us if we were to rebuild with them in charge.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

I asked this in last thread, figure no harm in asking again.

Draft has been covered quite a bit and I was wondering if any of the more math or stat inclined folk here have any articles or threads about the expected value of picks or some kind of previously done analysis.

For the love of god do not link me to something saying "X team graduated 7 prospects, Y team graduated 5". Something beyond grade 3 stuff would be appreciated.

Closed Thread