HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

HFOil Mock Entry Draft 2017 | Draft Complete

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2017, 11:10 PM
  #76
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
select, via list, Casey Mittelstadt

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:34 PM
  #77
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 74,944
vCash: 9240
Sent some picks to keep this puppy rolling as I am about to get off

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:08 AM
  #78
SpoolCat
Registered User
 
SpoolCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
The Vancouver Canucks are proud to select from the Portland Winterhawks, Cody Glass

SpoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:34 AM
  #79
HeavyMcHitter97
Registered User
 
HeavyMcHitter97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Someone nominate a pick for Dallas.
I apologize to everyone for not making my pick, I'm usually quick and efficient with these things but for some reason I thought it started tomorrow.

Regardless, I'm prepared for my other picks and Luckily for me Heiskanen was going to be my guy anyways.

Sorry everbody.

HeavyMcHitter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:07 AM
  #80
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 50
Las Vegas selects with the 6th overall pick - C - Gabriel Vilardi - Windsor (OHL)



Quote:
Big solid centre-forward who can score. Has come back from injuries and was a top player in the World Junior U-17s. Displays a two-way game, great skills, and uses his body to make space. Right handed centre. Smart, strong, and strong on the puck. Strong on the cycle, makes terrific feeds to his teammates, and dominates when pucks are in contention. can come of the edge with truly strong power moves to the front. He has shown true goal scoring abilities and projects as at very least, top six scorer if the trends continue to improve.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:20 AM
  #81
McDNicks17
Moderator
Leon!
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,199
vCash: 50
Damn. Vilardi is a steal at #6.

Best player in the draft, IMO.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:49 AM
  #82
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
select via list, from the Tri-City Americans of the WHL, Michael Rasmussen!

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:31 AM
  #83
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,937
vCash: 500


With the 8th overall pick the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select,

...from Brooks Bandits, AJHL, defenseman Cale Makar.



Next GM has been notified.

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:39 AM
  #84
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,937
vCash: 500
Pretty much hate my pick already. Have only watched Makar in highlights and I really worry if his game is going to translate. AJHL seems like a really weak league. Unfortunately the other options for my pick aren't slam-dunks either, so I'm just going on consensus here and hoping he's as good as everyone says he is...

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:53 AM
  #85
ChaoticOrange
Registered User
 
ChaoticOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Pretty much hate my pick already. Have only watched Makar in highlights and I really worry if his game is going to translate. AJHL seems like a really weak league. Unfortunately the other options for my pick aren't slam-dunks either, so I'm just going on consensus here and hoping he's as good as everyone says he is...
It's a weaker league than the WHL or USHL, sure, but he's by far the most dynamic player in that league. It's not even close.

The AJ has produced quite a bit of NHL talent, too.

Maybe a spot or two early, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Makar go top 10.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:08 PM
  #86
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
It's a weaker league than the WHL or USHL, sure, but he's by far the most dynamic player in that league. It's not even close.

The AJ has produced quite a bit of NHL talent, too.

Maybe a spot or two early, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Makar go top 10.
Thing is, I read through his prospect thread on the mainboards and some posters made some good points there. Makar was the best D in the AJHL by a mile, which is great, but how good would not a guy like Erik Brännström have looked there? Or Liljegren? Or Välimäki? Yet these guys are routinely rated below Makar. Brännström especially who many scouts doesn't even have in the 1st round, despite being dominant in a better junior league and being good enough to get 35 games in SHL, all while also being almost a full year younger than Makar.

I think Makar is gonna be in for a rude awakening next year in college, especially since he's going to a program who was by far the worst team in Hockey East last year. Either he's talented enough to make the transition, or he's just gonna bust outright. Not sure which one is more likely. Just seems like a very risky pick to make in the top10, but consensus places him there, some even in the top5...So as far as this mock goes, I hope they're right

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:17 PM
  #87
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Thing is, I read through his prospect thread on the mainboards and some posters made some good points there. Makar was the best D in the AJHL by a mile, which is great, but how good would not a guy like Erik Brännström have looked there? Or Liljegren? Or Välimäki? Yet these guys are routinely rated below Makar. Brännström especially who many scouts doesn't even have in the 1st round, despite being dominant in a better junior league and being good enough to get 35 games in SHL, all while also being almost a full year younger than Makar.

I think Makar is gonna be in for a rude awakening next year in college, especially since he's going to a program who was by far the worst team in Hockey East last year. Either he's talented enough to make the transition, or he's just gonna bust outright. Not sure which one is more likely. Just seems like a very risky pick to make in the top10, but consensus places him there, some even in the top5...So as far as this mock goes, I hope they're right
The last defenseman to go in the first round from the AJHL is Dylan Olsen (2009 draft) for historical reference.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:32 PM
  #88
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1
 
McMozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,062
vCash: 500





With the 9th Overall selection in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft:

The Detroit Red Wings are proud to select from the Tri-City Americans of the WHL:


Jusso Välimäki





Detroit Red Wings 2017 Draft:
(9) - Jusso Välimäki - D - Tri-City - WHL






McMozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:40 PM
  #89
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Pretty much hate my pick already. Have only watched Makar in highlights and I really worry if his game is going to translate. AJHL seems like a really weak league. Unfortunately the other options for my pick aren't slam-dunks either, so I'm just going on consensus here and hoping he's as good as everyone says he is...
For somebody who posts so much prospect info I'm quite surprised you hate your pick. I like Makar, I think as long as he's not rushed his game should translate to the NHL.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:47 PM
  #90
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
For somebody who posts so much prospect info I'm quite surprised you hate your pick. I like Makar, I think as long as he's not rushed his game should translate to the NHL.
Problem is I haven't seen him play myself, which makes it very hard to evaluate him. I could've gone with someone I've seen play, but then I would've had to reach. Plus, Sabres really need D, which made it hard to go with a forward, and there's no clear BPA among the forwards anyway.

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 02:01 PM
  #91
ChaoticOrange
Registered User
 
ChaoticOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Problem is I haven't seen him play myself, which makes it very hard to evaluate him. I could've gone with someone I've seen play, but then I would've had to reach. Plus, Sabres really need D, which made it hard to go with a forward, and there's no clear BPA among the forwards anyway.
My only thought is I think the Sabres need help on the left side a lot more than they do on the right, but Makar is a perfectly reasonable pick at 8.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 04:42 PM
  #92
HeavyMcHitter97
Registered User
 
HeavyMcHitter97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Problem is I haven't seen him play myself, which makes it very hard to evaluate him. I could've gone with someone I've seen play, but then I would've had to reach. Plus, Sabres really need D, which made it hard to go with a forward, and there's no clear BPA among the forwards anyway.
As someone who has scouted him since bantam, travelled around to see him live many times and one of the only people to have him as a first rounder before this season even started I can tell you his talent and ability is legit not just because of the league he plays in.

To put his talent into perspective, we all know he dominated the WJAC this season but he was also Canada's top Dman and tournament All Star during last LAST season's WJAC (2015) on a team that included Dante Fabbro.

He definitely needs time at UMass but it isn't uncommon for dominant AJHL players to go on to do extremely well at the NCAA level. typically none of these players are as dominant and as skilled as Makar at 16, 17, 18 years old.

Makar will need to shore up his over zealous defensive play however. He loves to exploit the gap and close in very quickly which is incredibly risky. Has a habit of wanting to take the puck from opponents in the neutral zone but that leaves him out of position at times. He will benefit from getting stronger but he is known for laying some huge hits so he definitely isn't afraid of physical play.

I hope this makes you feel a little better. If anyone else has questions about prospects feel free to ask!

HeavyMcHitter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 05:19 PM
  #93
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMcHitter97 View Post
As someone who has scouted him since bantam, travelled around to see him live many times and one of the only people to have him as a first rounder before this season even started I can tell you his talent and ability is legit not just because of the league he plays in.

To put his talent into perspective, we all know he dominated the WJAC this season but he was also Canada's top Dman and tournament All Star during last LAST season's WJAC (2015) on a team that included Dante Fabbro.

He definitely needs time at UMass but it isn't uncommon for dominant AJHL players to go on to do extremely well at the NCAA level. typically none of these players are as dominant and as skilled as Makar at 16, 17, 18 years old.

Makar will need to shore up his over zealous defensive play however. He loves to exploit the gap and close in very quickly which is incredibly risky. Has a habit of wanting to take the puck from opponents in the neutral zone but that leaves him out of position at times. He will benefit from getting stronger but he is known for laying some huge hits so he definitely isn't afraid of physical play.

I hope this makes you feel a little better. If anyone else has questions about prospects feel free to ask!
Good, that makes me feel a little better about my pick

He definitely looked thicker in highlight videos than I thought he would. Seems to have some mass already, so that's encouraging. Also read that one of the reasons he wanted to play in AJHL -> college instead of CHL was to play less games and be able to work out more in the gym. I like that mentality. Shows that he's not just all skill and flash, but actually want to be able to use his body to compete and battle.

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 02:51 PM
  #94
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,352
vCash: 500
We doing this?

UncleRisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 03:35 PM
  #95
ChaoticOrange
Registered User
 
ChaoticOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
We doing this?
Whenever DipsyMcDoodles makes a pick. Clock is stopped over the long weekend.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 03:48 PM
  #96
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1
 
McMozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Whenever DipsyMcDoodles makes a pick. Clock is stopped over the long weekend.
His clock technically ran out yesterday.

Im cool with waiting all weekend though. Just feel bad for the GMs waiting to make picks.

McMozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 03:53 PM
  #97
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,937
vCash: 500
Even though the clock is off I was hoping we'd be able to get through a couple of picks during the weekend still, especially with our late start.

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 04:13 PM
  #98
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMozesmadness View Post
His clock technically ran out yesterday.

Im cool with waiting all weekend though. Just feel bad for the GMs waiting to make picks.
The clock paused for the long weekend at 3:00PM yesterday. Dipsy will have till Tuesday at 12:32PM to make his pick. Was hoping he'd make his pick when he logged on late last night.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 04:17 PM
  #99
ChaoticOrange
Registered User
 
ChaoticOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Even though the clock is off I was hoping we'd be able to get through a couple of picks during the weekend still, especially with our late start.
Me too, but people are off gallivanting and such.

We blew through last year's draft. What did it take, a month? At most?

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 03:03 AM
  #100
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,352
vCash: 500
Oh right, I forgot you guys had a long weekend. No problem there, I was just wondering why there were no picks.

UncleRisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.