HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Sabresfansince1980

vCash: 500
This offer sheet talk is ridiculous. It's not happening, everybody here knows this but maybe a few just enjoy swatting a hornets nest to argue.

Trading Lehner away in favor of MAF is pretty dumb. He's going to make about 2 mil more than Lehner each of the next two seasons. He isn't much better if at all, has had his own share of mental lapses, and is NOT a good option to re-sign. You get MAF and you have to have another #1 ready to go, so Ullmark, Peterson, or whoever better be that guy. With Lehner you still have a decent, cost effective starter if the younger guys don't pan out. Bringing up SOs in regard to playoffs is...what?!? Miller was money for a season in SOs and what difference did that make? And we all know there aren't SOs in playoffs so why is this even a thing? It's just for people who want to reach really deep to prove their opinion.

Old
05-13-2017, 08:30 AM
SabresFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
How does Lehner "scream" locker room problem?
The way he acts and things he says in interviews. His antics on the ice and getting yanked. As a few others have already agreed, just not a guy I see being a championship culture guy. Sean McDermott wouldn't approve therefore TP probably wouldn't

MAF would add a veteran, cup winning presence in the locker room and is a known great locker room guy

Old
05-13-2017, 08:31 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
They tried to give us 4 1sts for Vanek. It's not their fault our GM panicked.

This is just ridiculous. So you thinking losing Drury, Briere and Vanek all in one off season would have been good?

There was no way the Sabres were ever gonna let Vanek walk that off season. 4 first round picks mean nothing. Look at Edmonton prior to McDavid. All those top 10 picks and 3 overall #1's yielded them what?

Move on!

Old
05-13-2017, 08:36 AM
SabresFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacOBG View Post
If he can't save a bloody shootout attempt all season, I don't trust him to carry a team through the playoffs. Mentally weak. No thanks, cut your losses and move on. I wasn't against it when they made the trade, but now I'd rather trade him if he has some value in him (not sure). Plenty of competent, not hard to obtain goalies in the league to be stuck with him long term.

Edit: Really keen on Grubauer if he can be had for cheap. Give them 1A/1B status with Ullmark and see who turns out the better goalie (I assume it would be Grubauer but you never know). I honestly think he is better G than Lehner.
I could see Grubauer getting picked up on Vegas but I like your thought process here. There are a few guys that fit your criteria (Raanta, Korpisalo, Grubauer) that could be had for cheap and decent.

Also UFAs, (Mason, Bernier, Elliot, Miller) all could be had for pretty cheap.

Old
05-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Well, I assume they will work something out as otherwise he'll be exposed to Vegas who likely pick him up. I doubt he prefers Vegas/backup in Pitt to starter Buffalo under GM he knows well.

I doubt he screws up Pittsburgh by refusing to waive and they have to expose Murray after so many years of him being paid well by the organization and winning silverware there due to a great team in front of him. Doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.
It's a business. Fleury has no reason to waive his NTC... especially given the post season run he's on.

Regarding Vegas, fleury also has a NMC, so pittsburgh will be required to protect him.

Old
05-13-2017, 08:50 AM
SabresFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It's a business. Fleury has no reason to waive his NTC... especially given the post season run he's on.

Regarding Vegas, fleury also has a NMC, so pittsburgh will be required to protect him.
I don't see Vegas getting him. They will go hard after Raanta and Grubauer. I could see Pittsburgh losing a Hagelin or Dumoulin. If Vegas can get Dumoulin, Van Riemsdyk, Brodin/Scandella, etc., I think Buffalo should look to trade with them after the draft.

Old
05-13-2017, 09:21 AM
TheStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88 View Post
This is just ridiculous. So you thinking losing Drury, Briere and Vanek all in one off season would have been good?

There was no way the Sabres were ever gonna let Vanek walk that off season. 4 first round picks mean nothing. Look at Edmonton prior to McDavid. All those top 10 picks and 3 overall #1's yielded them what?
Mcdavid?

Old
05-13-2017, 09:53 AM
sincerity0

I for one would NOT consider trading Nylander, Asplund and 8th + a third for Drais.

Talk about panicking.

Old
05-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
To me he screams "I can't save a shootout attempt" which is kinda embarrassing if you will rely on this guy to get you the cup some day.
Good thing there's no shoot out in the playoffs then.

05-13-2017, 10:47 AM
CacOBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There are good reasons he's **** at SO's, it's not just random generated luck. I don't want to waste any cap even if it is low on someone that is not the ideal solution for the team to be successful. Trade him while he has value as he's RFA and his low cap hit would help some other team for the next couple of years...

Old
05-13-2017, 10:57 AM
joshjull

I have to think Lehner's shoot out issues are mental. Get a sports psychologist to work with him. Maybe that gets him through it.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:02 AM
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88 View Post

Move on!
The value for 4 first round picks is much higher than you think. I would happily trade anyone on Buffalo, not named Eichel, for that many picks.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:03 AM
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I have to think Lehner's shoot out issues are mental. Get a sports psychologist to work with him. Maybe that gets him through it.
It's just a weird stat, I wouldn't be to concerned.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:04 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I have this weird feeling Botterill trades for MAF.
I don't think you're feeling is all that weird. If it happens I just hope he gets concessions out of it. (Picks, salary retention, etc).

Old
05-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I won't lie. Just had a drink come out my nose, laughing.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:14 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGuy View Post
It's just a weird stat, I wouldn't be to concerned.
Offering a solution (sports psychologist) is a fairly normal way to look at this. It's something that many goalies use for various parts of their game.

As Chain pointed out, shootouts don't matter in the playoffs. But it could cost us making them in the first place. The playoff races were very tight. A 3-5 point swing due to shootouts could very much do us in.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Edit: Really keen on Grubauer if he can be had for cheap. Give them 1A/1B status with Ullmark and see who turns out the better goalie (I assume it would be Grubauer but you never know). I honestly think he is better G than Lehner.
Grubauer is going to Vegas. And McPhee will keep him. Book it.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:18 AM
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Offering a solution (sports psychologist) is a fairly normal way to look at this. It's something that many goalies use for various parts of their game.

As Chain pointed out, shootouts don't matter in the playoffs. But it could cost us making them in the first place. The playoff races were very tight. A 3-5 point swing due to shootouts could very much do us in.
Seeing a sports psychologist can't hurt, but again, I think that it more of a "fluke stat" than anything else.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:20 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGuy View Post
Seeing a sports psychologist can't hurt, but again, I think that it more of a "fluke stat" than anything else.
Fluke or not. I'm saying don't ignore it and assume it self corrects. That would be irresponsible.

Many goalies are solid to good at things but need tweaks or refocusing from time to time when they struggle at those things. Holtby calmed his game in the middle of the Pens series after consulting the sports psychologist he works with. It's an on going process.

Last edited by joshjull; 05-13-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Old
05-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Which team has three elite, flexible centers? That's what you want to build?

Sabres have a potentially elite center in Eichel, an all-star center in O'Reilly, and a potential all-star center in Reinhart. They're set up as well as you can get at center for a young, developing team.

You're shuffling chairs just to prove your argument.
Buffalo is fine at center with Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Larsson, Girgensons.

OS on Draisatl is silly.

I could see a Reinhart for Hanifin and then draft a forward at 8OA.

With that forward he probably doesnt end his ELC till 2021 at the earliest which give Buffalo cap space to keep Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I have this weird feeling Botterill trades for MAF.
Its possible ---he may also want to trade for a system prospect or 2.

They trade for him it will likely cost something like a 7th. If a prospect is included it is probably more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
No interest in a $5.75M a year goalie. Lehner at $4M and Ullmark are fine. I hope Ullmark plays at least as well as Lehner and I think that's a possibility.
MAF is not a long term solution---but a short term. If they were to acquire MAF they trade Lehner for something and hope Peterson signs and give him olympics exemption in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan26 View Post
I don't see Vegas getting him. They will go hard after Raanta and Grubauer. I could see Pittsburgh losing a Hagelin or Dumoulin. If Vegas can get Dumoulin, Van Riemsdyk, Brodin/Scandella, etc., I think Buffalo should look to trade with them after the draft.
Vegas would draft MAF with Pittsburgh giving them something else to draft him.

Vegas will not draft high salaried players without something else being given to them.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Jame
Dream '16

If we got a veteran short term goalie, I think lehner would have a ton of trade value especially with a team like Calgary.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:41 AM
CacOBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Grubauer is going to Vegas. And McPhee will keep him. Book it.
We could in theory trade for him before the expansion draft, then it will be hard for them to pick him. I don't know, just throwing poo at the wall and see what sticks But Lehner has not inspired confidence in me when I watch him most of the time. Yes, he has some solid games, but the shootouts, the juicy rebounds, the soft untimely goals, the mental lapses, the slow-mo movement post to post sometimes... just not a fan of him and it's not some sort of bias as I did not have any pre-set expecations based on the trade. Too big and slow IMO (yeah, yeah, I know size also has advantages...).

EDIT: As long as we get back for him in trade what we trade away to get some veteran or other young replacement, I'm happy. Don't think its reasonable to waste more assets on G right now.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Buff15Sabres

I don't get the MAF talk. He was 18-10-7 with 3.02 GAA and .909 save % in the regular season. He's been money in the playoffs (so far), but I don't think he's even a short term solution for the Sabres.

I'd much rather just keep Lehner or grab a Neuvirth type off the UFA scrap heap.

The Draisatl offer sheet is an interesting idea. I'm guessing there's a team out there that will do it, but it doesn't really make sense for that team to be the Sabres. We already have a lot of talented centers, and we'd be in a tough cap situation.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:46 AM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If we got a veteran short term goalie, I think lehner would have a ton of trade value especially with a team like Calgary.
Define ton, because if someone is giving up a first or a mid level defender I would be jumping at it.

Gems are morons about goalies.

Old
05-13-2017, 11:47 AM
CacOBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff15Sabres View Post
I don't get the MAF talk. He was 18-10-7 with 3.02 GAA and .909 save % in the regular season. He's been money in the playoffs (so far), but I don't think he's even a short term solution for the Sabres.

I'd much rather just keep Lehner or grab a Neuvirth type off the UFA scrap heap.

The Draisatl offer sheet is an interesting idea. I'm guessing there's a team out there that will do it, but it doesn't really make sense for that team to be the Sabres. We already have a lot of talented centers, and we'd be in a tough cap situation.
The thing is Botts has been responsible for managing tough cap situation in Pittsbrgh for years and they got the cup last year and have a good shot this year again. I don't think as long as any OS is under 9 mil, it's any harder to manage than what he had in Pittsburgh. Even though I'd rather we go after a D or scoring winger via OS as theese will be much cheaper in compensation and cap compared to Drais - the RFA class is really good this year IMO.

Closed Thread