HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux Called Up (For Real)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 02:29 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I would've gone for a centerman and played Hossa on a third line with Ward while moving Prucha up and Betts down (With Orts and Moore on the wing - where he's played a bit before).
That's what I would have liked, too.

Give Immonen a shot.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:54 PM
McDonagh27

Giroux deserves a shot too.. like others have said, the Org. needs to see if this guy can be productive at the nhl level, if not, he then becomes expendable next year.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85
He is 25.
Ding, ding, ding.

I don't mind this move. I'd rather keep Dawesy and Immo down for the full year, and then give them their crack next season. That is, if Dolan doesn't let this go to his head and DEMAND that we acquire every other Czech playing in the league in exchange for every good prospect and draft selection we have.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
just trying to be a bit more optimistic.
I'm all for being optomistic (as everybody knows) but this is total BS. Dawes Immonen Genoway Helimen all deserve shots over Giroux. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it happening.

I guess we shall see......

Old
03-25-2006, 03:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

For real.Must be an Aki G fan

Old
03-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Onion Boy

Giroux played almost all last season with Moore. I think this move is more an issue of looking for chemistry since neither Dawes nor Immonen would have any time to practice with their new linemates.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:24 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Doesn't look too bad out there so far. Shows some physicality. His first shift was REALLY invisible, but the last shift he looked like he was playing real hard out there and drew a penalty as well.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Didn't get much playing time for us to really get a good look.

I didn't realize there was such a thing as a 25 year old career minor leaguer.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Giroux makes Chad Wiseman look like a hall of famer. Call up somebody that is going to have a career in the NHL. Dawes or Immonen should be in the lineup againts Buffalo.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:39 PM
The Dawg*

lets think about this for a second: we are going to be playing a lot of intense hockey down the stretch. i hope giroux playing 2 or 3 minutes tonight isnt a sign of things to come. it will mean that we wont be rolling 4 lines consistenly and it can only create more wear and tear on our players. i can certainly understand the coaching in not wanting a guy making his nhl debut out there in a tight game, but i think there has to be an offensive player up here that must be trusted on consistently to eat up some minutes on the 3rd or 4th line.

--i def. want to see dawes or immonen over girioux

Old
03-26-2006, 02:00 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawg
lets think about this for a second: we are going to be playing a lot of intense hockey down the stretch. i hope giroux playing 2 or 3 minutes tonight isnt a sign of things to come. it will mean that we wont be rolling 4 lines consistenly and it can only create more wear and tear on our players. i can certainly understand the coaching in not wanting a guy making his nhl debut out there in a tight game, but i think there has to be an offensive player up here that must be trusted on consistently to eat up some minutes on the 3rd or 4th line.

--i def. want to see dawes or immonen over girioux

dawes, helminen, genoway or even give Jessiman or Falardeau a look.

Old
03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Giroux makes Chad Wiseman look like a hall of famer. Call up somebody that is going to have a career in the NHL. Dawes or Immonen should be in the lineup againts Buffalo.
You really took a lot away from those 3 shifts, huh?

I do agree, but not for the same reasons. No matter what you think about Giroux, honestly, what is the point of bringing up ANYONE to play 3 shifts?

Old
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Phil333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

I do agree, but not for the same reasons. No matter what you think about Giroux, honestly, what is the point of bringing up ANYONE to play 3 shifts?
And they weren't a bad three shifts. First shift was fine, second shift they pinned TB deep and he drew a penalty. Third shift was bad and he should have gone to the point, but EVERYONE was getting outworked at that time.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

Unlike yourself I've seen Giroux play before. The guy isn't an NHL player no ifs ands or buts about it.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:47 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Unlike yourself I've seen Giroux play before. The guy isn't an NHL player no ifs ands or buts about it.
doesn't matter if you've seen him play before in the AHL, the NHL game is different. Until you see the game play a consistent amount of games in the NHL, you can't say anythig. Especially in the post lockout era, you need to give him a chance. i always like to use the labarbera example, the guy was AHL MVP and just couldnt cut it in the nhl. So maybe Giroux will pan out like labarbera, maybe he wont.

I didnt get a chance to really see him play last night. he didnt get much time on the 60 minute replay i had to watch.

Old
03-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I would say the organization doesn't agree with you, or they wouldn't have bothered to even take a look. If they thought he was flat out incapable of playing in the NHL, Orr would have gotten his 3 shifts last night.

With all due respect, I doubt you've seen enough Hartford games to make an assesment that I'd hang my hat on anyway. At least I am willing to admit I need a larger sample size to draw my own conclusion.

Old
03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I've seen him play quite a few times and my assessment is different. Not enormously, but it's different. The guy could be an NHL player, but he just as easily might not be.

Old
03-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I would say the organization doesn't agree with you, or they wouldn't have bothered to even take a look. If they thought he was flat out incapable of playing in the NHL, Orr would have gotten his 3 shifts last night.

With all due respect, I doubt you've seen enough Hartford games to make an assesment that I'd hang my hat on anyway. At least I am willing to admit I need a larger sample size to draw my own conclusion.
Im my opinion it was and is a bad move. There are more talented players in Hartford that deserve a callup. When Pat Verbeek went down in 97 did the Rangers call up Don Biggs? Giroux is a 4AAA player.

With all due respect I've seen enough Hartford games to give fair assesment whether you want to "hang your hat on it" I don't really care. You have given no argument to prove me wrong. I've seen him play since he was in Binghamton and the guy has no NHL future. He gives a good effort but he lacks NHL instincts. (which can't be taught) '

I'm not the only person to think he sucks.

Old
03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Janerixon

I like giroux alot, probably more than many others on this board, most of the wolfpack games i saw he played very well, very physical presence, going to net, standing in front of the net and he had a few scraps as well

however i dont think he will be productive on the 4th line, hes a player who feeds off of better players, that means moore and ortmeyer are going to have to create chances for him to bury, with that being said id almost rather see him on the 3rd line at least with moore and say ward cause ward can create chances, or dare i say we try giroux w/ sykora and rucchin

that wont happen so i doubt giroux will stick, though renney will say he wasnt acclimated enough to the system to warrant more icetime

regardless calling a kid up who can only be productive on the 1st ord 2nd line and giving him 3 shifts isnt gonna help him any

i think immonen will end up being called up soon, but immonen will need to get 3rd line icetime

Old
03-27-2006, 04:35 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I'm back, dunno what happened sorry guys. Anyway, I've been here, watching the team, rooting em along. I was there Wednesday in the depressing loss vs Philly. I didn't really like this call up, and Giroux didn't show much in his 2 minutes Saturday

Old
03-27-2006, 04:40 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I'm back, dunno what happened sorry guys. Anyway, I've been here, watching the team, rooting em along. I was there Wednesday in the depressing loss vs Philly. I didn't really like this call up, and Giroux didn't show much in his 2 minutes Saturday
banned?

Old
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
banned?
I guess, I shouldn't be talking about whatever it was though, I get in trouble for that, so whatever. Anyway, I'm depressed I missed all the Orr talk. How can you talk so much about Colton without me here? Oh well.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
You have given no argument to prove me wrong.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just surprised at how definitive your opinion of Giroux is.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Edge

Quote:
Nothing like a 25 year old career minor leaguer.
I agree.

I don't think Giroux has it, but I also think he's one of those players you WANT to believe can make it because of the AHL stats and his size.

I remember feeling the same way in the pre-season and a lot of people were hopefuly and curious and he bombed.

I honestly don't think it'll be different now. In time he might become a Jason Ward type, but the odds say he does it somewhere else.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:09 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

You can never know how a player will play in the NHL no matter how good or bad they were where they played before. Prucha is the perfect example of that, so I think you need to take a look at everyone at this level at some point.

Closed Thread