HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com - Ryan O'Reilly wants more from himself, Sabres

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2017, 06:46 PM
  #1
JetBlk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
NHL.com - Ryan O'Reilly wants more from himself, Sabres

https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalos-ry...ck/c-289411878

JetBlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 08:03 PM
  #2
Ness
New Age Retro Hippie
 
Ness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,846
vCash: 500
A winner's attitude.

Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 08:16 PM
  #3
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 44,229
vCash: 500
Pitch much

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 09:18 PM
  #4
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,716
vCash: 500
Awards:
Maybe he should start by telling his brother to stop being a ****ing quitter.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 09:47 PM
  #5
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,157
vCash: 500
salary vs. production illogical rant will be typed at some point I'm sure



I hope Ryan O'Reilly gets the C next season.

And Cal can F off if he doesn't want to be an effective AHLer for the Amerks with occasion injury call ups to the big club.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 11:00 PM
  #6
SharkInABoloTie
Registered User
 
SharkInABoloTie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Flori-bama
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
salary vs. production illogical rant will be typed at some point I'm sure



I hope Ryan O'Reilly gets the C next season.

And Cal can F off if he doesn't want to be an effective AHLer for the Amerks with occasion injury call ups to the big club.
What was Cal's problem? Did he ever voice any concerns publicly?

SharkInABoloTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 11:09 PM
  #7
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 25,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkInABoloTie View Post
What was Cal's problem? Did he ever voice any concerns publicly?
His problems to me amount to being a crybaby b****. Who wouldn't love to either be called up to the NHL or in the AHL playoffs? No one. Who cries out after the trade deadline until a team has to loan you out to your AHL rivals? No one I've ever heard of. I am very lax on my judgments of people, including hockey players, but unless this was all somehow initiated by Murray, Cal is a born loser crybaby.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 11:57 PM
  #8
BiPolarBear
Registered User
 
BiPolarBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
TM gave COR a ridiculously big contract, I think it was part of the ROR courtship. $750K a year may be the biggest existing contract for an AHL vet rather than an NHLer whose team is burying him in the AHL.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 03:01 AM
  #9
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
A winner's attitude.
About time. It's his team. I feel justified.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 02:05 PM
  #10
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I hope Ryan O'Reilly gets the C next season.
I wouldn't be upset if Okposo got the C given all the talk that he was the one stepping up and trying to hold players accountable by the end of the season.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 02:16 PM
  #11
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I wouldn't be upset if Okposo got the C given all the talk that he was the one stepping up and trying to hold players accountable by the end of the season.
That would be a terrible mistake. Okposo was invisible for large stretches, and has been a Sabre one year. The C needs to go to Eichel. RoR as one A and then alternate the other A between Risto and Okposo. If he was trying to hold other players accountable then I hope he looked in the mirror because he was invisible far too often. He did not earn his pay. We need him to be scoring 60 points a season at 6 mil because he doesn't PK, he isn't physical and he isn't good defensively.

RoR seems to me as the perfect consummate Assistant/Alternate captain, the guy who does it on the ice but when it comes to media and talking for the team that's all Jack Eichel. He is the next captain and should be this upcoming year, since Murray is gone hopefully that means Gio is too, even if Gio would come back for half of his past deal I don't want him too if it means he's still the captain.

It's quite simple, Brian Gionta does not wear the C on a team trying to establish themselves as a contender. I'd prefer the co Caps route with Eichel and RoR then having Gionta captain even for one more season. And I honestly can picture the co Caps route, it's not that bad of An idea. It worked before, and RoR=Drury and Eichel as a much better version of Briere makes sense. That way everyone is happy. But that's not my first choice, my first choice is Eichel as captain period. He deserves it.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 02:20 PM
  #12
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
That would be a terrible mistake. Okposo was invisible for large stretches, and has been a Sabre one year. The C needs to go to Eichel. RoR as one A and then alternate the other A between Risto and Okposo. If he was trying to hold other players accountable then I hope he looked in the mirror because he was invisible far too often. He did not earn his pay. We need him to be scoring 60 points a season at 6 mil because he doesn't PK, he isn't physical and he isn't good defensively.

RoR seems to me as the perfect consummate Assistant/Alternate captain, the guy who does it on the ice but when it comes to media and talking for the team that's all Jack Eichel. He is the next captain and should be this upcoming year, since Murray is gone hopefully that means Gio is too, even if Gio would come back for half of his past deal I don't want him too if it means he's still the captain.

It's quite simple, Brian Gionta does not wear the C on a team trying to establish themselves as a contender. I'd prefer the co Caps route with Eichel and RoR then having Gionta captain even for one more season. And I honestly can picture the co Caps route, it's not that bad of An idea. It worked before, and RoR=Drury and Eichel as a much better version of Briere makes sense. That way everyone is happy. But that's not my first choice, my first choice is Eichel as captain period. He deserves it.
I don't know if Eichel is mature enough to wear the C.

And I couldn't care less how much Okposo is paid. Multiple players said that the team really missed Okposo's leadership when he went down with the concussion.

That is what I would want in a captain when I coach. I don't like slapping the C on the most talented player.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 03:12 PM
  #13
SharkInABoloTie
Registered User
 
SharkInABoloTie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Flori-bama
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't know if Eichel is mature enough to wear the C.

And I couldn't care less how much Okposo is paid. Multiple players said that the team really missed Okposo's leadership when he went down with the concussion.

That is what I would want in a captain when I coach. I don't like slapping the C on the most talented player.
The one argument I can make for Jack is that he very much seems to be the vocal leader in the room and excelling on the ice is a big part of leading by example. At this point, I can't see how either he or ROR would be a bad choice.

SharkInABoloTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 03:44 PM
  #14
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,723
vCash: 500
Leadership does not come from wearing a letter. Wearing a letter comes from being a leader. True leaders don't require a letter to be a leader, they do it anyway because they are who they are. I'm puzzled and maybe a little disappointed to hear O'Reilly saying he didn't step up and be vocal toward the end of the season. If Gionta wasn't saying or doing the things necessary to clean up whatever poor behavior was going on, then O'Reilly is one of the guys that should step up. Okposo being that guy just shows why letters don't really matter.

Okposo is a well respected guy that is probably much more mature than most of the roster. He'll be a leader no matter what, but if nobody else displays that leadership he sure as hell should wear a letter. His on-ice performance (was good enough for me under Dufus) has little to do with the off-ice stuff where true leadership is required. Who's going out too much or too late? Making poor decisions, can't be on time or cuts it too close often? Who is having personal problems affecting practice/play? None of this crap requires a guy that puts up 7 pts every 10 games like clockwork. It requires a guy with maturity and some life experience that can command some respect and be a positive example.

If more than three guys (7,8, whatever) are like that, then it doesn't matter who wears a letter. The leadership is there in the locker room regardless. If there's only a couple guys like that, then maybe it matters more. BUT...choosing the wrong guy to wear a letter will NEVER prevent a TRUE leader from being a leader. If there are too many punks that choose to not listen to a true leader because he doesn't wear a letter, then it's time to clean house and keep the leader (letter or not).

Leadership is a collective commodity that transcends the rather shallow step of stitching an "A" or a "C" on someone's sweater. A team will either have enough, or not. The lettering is a small and minor representation of who is a part of that leadership group. Fans get way too caught up in that aspect of it, and are never really privy to know who the respected voices are behind the scenes.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 04:15 PM
  #15
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,868
vCash: 500
I would give the C to jack and let him lead by example on the ice and make O'Reilly and Okposo A's to be the voices in the locker room.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 03:33 PM
  #16
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkInABoloTie View Post
The one argument I can make for Jack is that he very much seems to be the vocal leader in the room and excelling on the ice is a big part of leading by example. At this point, I can't see how either he or ROR would be a bad choice.
I have seen more players pointing to Okposo being the vocal leader in the room that most people say that they want than players saying Jack is that guy.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:38 AM
  #17
wunderpanda
enter PHo Botts
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: outside the hive
Posts: 4,847
vCash: 500
I'd like more from ROR of he believes he has more to give. Doesn't strike me as an inspirational speaker, not a rah-rah guy, certainly not a disciplinarian. Doesn't even seem like a guy that starts a conversation. Self deprecation won't embiggen his sphere of influence, after 8 years his voice won't grow louder. Said it himself, had to wait for Okposo to be a leader.

Hard worker, obsessive, not a leader if nobody was following. He gave himself an unrealistic expectation.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:11 AM
  #18
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I'd like more from ROR of he believes he has more to give. Doesn't strike me as an inspirational speaker, not a rah-rah guy, certainly not a disciplinarian. Doesn't even seem like a guy that starts a conversation. Self deprecation won't embiggen his sphere of influence, after 8 years his voice won't grow louder. Said it himself, had to wait for Okposo to be a leader.

Hard worker, obsessive, not a leader if nobody was following. He gave himself an unrealistic expectation.
Leadership doesn't need to be a rah-rah thing. Nor does it have to be about inspirational speaking or discipline.

Leadership is also a learned behavior. I've got no issues with O'Reilly realizing his shortcomings and working on them.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:19 AM
  #19
Myllz
#justbogothings
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Country: United States
Posts: 18,132
vCash: 500
What exactly did they change when Okposo said something?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:30 AM
  #20
Dreakon13
Registered User
 
Dreakon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mighty Taco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Too many guys shrugging off losses in the room. You can tell it was frustrating guys like ROR, Eichel and Lehner... at least publicly, who knows how many more were annoyed by or guilty of it themselves behind the scenes. The team won't go anywhere until everyone in the room is equally hungry/frustrated.

You can't force some players to care at the level needed to compete in this league though, even if ROR were more vocal. A new GM and a new coach most likely wouldn't inherently change that either... that's why the team is still another big turnover away from rounding the corner on this rebuild IMO. Ennis, Moulson, Bogo, etc. Guys who seem to lack that snarl, that killer instinct, and 'losing ****ing sucks' attitude. (My impression as the humble observer anyways.)

Dreakon13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:33 AM
  #21
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
What exactly did they change when Okposo said something?
Who knows what went on behind the scenes. Maybe late in the season Okposo tried to do something about the dysfunction or rudderless nature of things and tried to fill the void. Then he got hurt.

I'm not quite sure what you're directing your laughter at.


Last edited by joshjull: 05-16-2017 at 08:53 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:43 AM
  #22
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Leadership doesn't need to be a rah-rah thing. Nor does it have to be about inspirational speaking or discipline.

Leadership is also a learned behavior. I've got no issues with O'Reilly realizing his shortcomings and working on them.
While I agree to a certain extent. ROR has always struck me as someone who is quick to beat himself up and is hard on himself, in some cases much harder than necessary. But he doesn't seem the type to go to teammates to constructively or negatively critique their game. Though would work with them if they came to him, like his ROR practices after the team one. I have to say those practices get overplayed by fans and media. I've seen a couple live.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:39 AM
  #23
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
While I agree to a certain extent. ROR has always struck me as someone who is quick to beat himself up and is hard on himself, in some cases much harder than necessary. But he doesn't seem the type to go to teammates to constructively or negatively critique their game. Though would work with them if they came to him, like his ROR practices after the team one. I have to say those practices get overplayed by fans and media. I've seen a couple live.
I think self-motivation and self-discipline is WAY harder to teach than learning how to give appropriate feedback/constructive criticism. O'Reilly has the former in spades. If he's got to grow on the later, so be it.

Drury was a quiet leader. And also effective. I think it took him time in Colorado to develop into that person.

Agree, the extra practice thing is overblown.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 02:47 PM
  #24
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I think self-motivation and self-discipline is WAY harder to teach than learning how to give appropriate feedback/constructive criticism. O'Reilly has the former in spades. If he's got to grow on the later, so be it.

Drury was a quiet leader. And also effective. I think it took him time in Colorado to develop into that person.

Agree, the extra practice thing is overblown.
He came here knowing that he needed to be more vocal in the room, etc. if he wanted to become that leader. He talked candidly about it in interviews shortly after the trade. It's been 2 seasons, and we're still hearing the same thing from him. Maybe he just doesn't have it in him to be that guy. He's a fantastic player, incredibly hard worker, and should keep an "A" on his chest for a long time, but I maybe he doesn't have the personality to be "C" material.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.