HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price - It's on Him Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2017, 08:51 AM
  #101
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Who cares about wins? It's a team stat and our team stinks. And he's gone to a conference final himself so your argument holds no weight.
You should tell that to all the Price defenders back in the days who were saying Price had the most wins and sv% and gaa were more team stats..

Some Guy with a Flower was leading the front with that type of bs here. Not counting of course L 'antichambre and the rest of the puppets in the media

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 08:52 AM
  #102
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You're free to not believe it if you wish. But the guy has already shown he can carry teams to 100 point seasons. He's won every award there is and he's 7 points better than the next closest guy in save percentage over the past few years. There's certainly strong evidence he can do it.

Moreover, he may have done it already had he not gotten run by Kreider. For all your talk of "look at Karlsson leading his guy in the 3rd round, unlike Price" type stuff, you forget that Price did the same thing three years ago with a mostly bad team. It's unfortunate he wasn't able to stay healthy and too bad we lost another year of his prime but when he's been healthy he's been mostly excellent.

And when he hasn't been excellent, you've suddenly popped up to talk about it.

My guess is it will be 8 years at 9 mil. If it's less, great. But that's what I'm expecting.
This is horrible and I hate to say it. If you give Carey 8 years:

1. He stars and Habs win one or two with him. My best hope.

2. Carey has chronic injury problems. But plays 50 a year and well but can't handle the po. I hope to hell not. For him and for Habs.

3. Jinx free. Carey has a bad injury and is long injured reserved for 5 years.

I hope for option 1. For price his family and Habs. But sadly bergy ****ed up his prime and option 2 or 3 are probable.

I like your position lg and I think price is the best option. At a reasonable contract.

But not over 8 mill. Sorry the evidence so far and his knee problems do not warrant more than 64 mill 8 years.

It is simply true.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 08:55 AM
  #103
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
Right now as we speak how many teams see Price as their chance at a Cup...
I know some here see us in that light but I don't.
Fair question because it is the only place we'd get true value for him in a transaction.
It would also neccesarily be for picks and prospects because if you are pushing for a cup you aren't moving core guys.

Isn't this pretty much the situation we are in with Carey?
Edmonton.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 09:05 AM
  #104
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have no idea why you bring money. I didn't bring money in the post you replied to. Then, there's nothing stupid in believing that EVERYTHING YOU SAID THAT WE ARE MISSING, we are NOT going to obtain them by giving up Scherback, Daniel Carr and a 4th round pick. We do NOT have what it takes to acquire what we are missing. I keep being remember that everything that includes Pacioretty, Galchenyuk or whoever has some kind of value will be nothing else than lateral movement. No improvement whatsoever. I don't particularly agree but they might be right. So the solution to improve is to get great players from nothing players. Makes no sense.

What makes sense is to try transfrom great value into greater value. Do whatever you can with that. And I'm fine with it. And I repeatedly said that Price is NOT a problem. But I've been told last year that we lost because Price wasn't there. Price was there this year and we lost the 1st round. So he is NOT a solution to win and go far. Surely a solution to make the playoffs. But what it means is that you make them, you KNOW you don't have a team to go far, but now with the stupid rule, is that your pick is even worst at the draft while having a terrible playoffs team on your hands. Insane how screwed we are. A goalie that will make us make the playoffs. And a rest of the team with guys we either shouldn't trade because it will be lateral movement or because nobody wants them, all that while choosing far at the draft. Not only is there no lights at the end of the tunnel. We haven,t even build the tunnel yet.

Oh and before you insult me, please try to use an expression I understand. There's nothing more frustrating than being insulted and having to look at google to see how insulted I have to be.
Stop it both of you. Personal. I understand your frustration ws. Lg if I was a mod I might give you an infraction. Come on guys. 😎

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 09:12 AM
  #105
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Weaker offensive team?

40 goals scored in first 14 games

Cammy alone had 14 goals.
There was a pass back to cammy from pleks in the pens series. Cammy absolutely drilled it top corner on maf. He had no chance.

In 40 years of watching Habs. Often live. That is one of my favourite Habs goals ever.

Habs were not **** that year offensively. They ran out of gas.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 09:23 AM
  #106
Therewolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Rask didn't win a cup. It was Thomas

Therewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 09:45 AM
  #107
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Evidence is showing that having a top 5 centre in the po gets you further than having a top 5 goalie.
It also gets you further than having a top 5 d.

Centers are the single most valuable players in this league and its not because of Price that we dont have one.

Also, if you surround them with a terrible team, you miss the po. Tavares is a prime example of this.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 09:48 AM
  #108
Lebowski
El Duderino
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It also gets you further than having a top 5 d.

Centers are the single most valuable players in this league and its not because of Price that we dont have one.

Also, if you surround them with a terrible team, you miss the po. Tavares is a prime example of this.
You need a bit of everything to win a cup. I don't think there's a given formula.

You need your goalie to be very solid, bottomline. A top 5 goalie is a lot more likely to give you very solid performances than an average starter. Likewise, you need a fair amount of scoring, and a top 5 center is a lot more likely to provide you with that then some middle of the pack 1st line center, or a 3rd line center, in our case.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 09:57 AM
  #109
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It also gets you further than having a top 5 d.

Centers are the single most valuable players in this league and its not because of Price that we dont have one.

Also, if you surround them with a terrible team, you miss the po. Tavares is a prime example of this.
You sure about that? We could of drafted Kopitar back in the 2005 draft. Price was still a very solid pick though. Point is drafting goaltenders that low in the draft is risky because it's much easier to acquire a starting goaltender vs a 1st line center.

Rask was drafted 21st overall that same year. How often have the Habs drafted in the top 10 over the last 20 years?

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 10:05 AM
  #110
Lebowski
El Duderino
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
You sure about that? We could of drafted Kopitar back in the 2005 draft. Price was still a very solid pick though. Point is drafting goaltenders that low in the draft is risky because it's much easier to acquire a starting goaltender vs a 1st line center.

Rask was drafted 21st overall that same year. How often have the Habs drafted in the top 10 over the last 20 years?
Price is the 2nd best player to come out of the 2005 draft.

We picked Galchenyuk 3rd overall and Price is twice the player he'll likely ever be.

What's your point? Price was an extremely risky pick that more than panned out for us.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:00 PM
  #111
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Price is the 2nd best player to come out of the 2005 draft.

We picked Galchenyuk 3rd overall and Price is twice the player he'll likely ever be.

What's your point? Price was an extremely risky pick that more than panned out for us.
Not my point. We could of drafted Kopitar instead of Price (in hindsight). Goaltenders are easier to acquire vs top line centers.

Price was a solid pick but top 5 picks are rarely used on goaltenders. They are used more to acquire top pairing D or 1st line centers. that was my point.

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:05 PM
  #112
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Edmonton.
EDM came within a game of the WCF on their frist try with Talbot in nets. I cant see them wanting a 9 million Price especially after walking away from PK due to his cap hit.

They might be better off getting MAF who could be a 2 time cup winner. And yes MAF had crsoby and malkin. Guess what Oil have McDavid and Drai.

scrubadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:21 PM
  #113
voldar
Registered User
 
voldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
... He's 0,01 better than Fleury and Rinne in playoffs save% since 2014-15.....
So you say he's 1% better than Fleury, this last one has 2 Stanley Cups rings. Why not Price then if he's better ? Switch goalies and tell me what would be the outcome ? Do you really think CH would have won two SC rings with Fleury ? Come on, we all know stats are saying whatever the poster wants.


Last edited by voldar: 05-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
voldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:22 PM
  #114
Hockey Joe
Registered User
 
Hockey Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Centers are the single most valuable players in this league and its not because of Price that we dont have one.
Kopitar.

So, how do we get a 1st center without gutting the rest of the team? And when is the last time a team won a cup without a home grown center?

Hockey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:26 PM
  #115
voldar
Registered User
 
voldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
numbers....

...what about wins?

Not so much right?

Wins... Hmmm... now you say Price should also score ?

voldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:37 PM
  #116
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by voldar View Post
Wins... Hmmm... now you say Price should also score ?
Help winning games would be more than enough.

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:43 PM
  #117
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Joe View Post
Kopitar.

So, how do we get a 1st center without gutting the rest of the team? And when is the last time a team won a cup without a home grown center?
We wont get a center for Price so, its a moot point.

Also, Rangers, Avs, theres two teams that have 1C that arent homegrown in the WCF and ECF..

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:43 PM
  #118
voldar
Registered User
 
voldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
You should tell that to all the Price defenders back in the days who were saying Price had the most wins and sv% and gaa were more team stats..
...
So, now is the others fault.
I would love to see Price gone, just to see what will you say next. No goalie other than Price (IMHO) is able to support the pressure of a bipolar fun base as the one of CH is.


Last edited by voldar: 05-15-2017 at 12:51 PM.
voldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 12:47 PM
  #119
voldar
Registered User
 
voldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Help winning games would be more than enough.
In other words, he has to win all 82 games, right ? Or 16 for that matter in PO. Because as stated, since the season 2013-2014, Price has more wins than losses both in PO and RS.

voldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
  #120
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by voldar View Post
In other words, he has to win all 82 games, right ? Or 16 for that matter in PO. Because as stated, since the season 2013-2014, Price has more wins than losses both in PO and RS.
Well if he could do that we sure as hell aint having this discussion today.

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:31 PM
  #121
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Evidence is showing that having a top 5 centre in the po gets you further than having a top 5 goalie.
I'd say evidence shows that better teams go further in the playoffs than worse ones do.

Again, no problem building around a goalie, winger or forward. Superstars are superstars. But superstars can't win alone.

Do you think we'd have beaten the Rangers if we had a pair of decent 1/2 centers? It's not just that we had Dannault as our number one, it's that we had Plekanec as our number two... How are you going to win anything that way?

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:34 PM
  #122
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Lg did you see Roy stone the rags in ot in 86? Ten minutes of the greatest goaltending I've ever seen.

Roy refused to lose that game. That is best goalie in the world goaltending.

Yes pay price 8.5. Of course.

It is ALL about stealing games in po that makes a great goalie.

Yes price is consistent and the best goalie in the league. And that is very important.

But I'm not paying him ten mill because he has never done the insanity that Roy and Dryden did in the po.
That team had Bobby Smith as it's number one and Carbo as its number two. It also had HOF talent in Robinson, Gainey and Chelios on it. Its best forward (Naslund) also decided to show up and they had Mr Clutch in Claude Lemieux.

Roy didn't do it alone.

Serious question for you: Do you think we beat the Rangers with that team in front of Price this year? Absolutely we do.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:40 PM
  #123
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
That team had Bobby Smith as it's number one and Carbo as its number two. It also had HOF talent in Robinson, Gainey and Chelios on it. Its best forward (Naslund) also decided to show up and they had Mr Clutch in Claude Lemieux.

Roy didn't do it alone.

Serious question for you: Do you think we beat the Rangers with that team in front of Price this year? Absolutely we do.
Lol that's not even a real question LG. We managed to win two game despite scoring less then two goals. That team would've wiped the floor with any of the teams we would've faced up to the SCF this year.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:40 PM
  #124
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
Yes Price is our MVP, but at the time when he was drafted, I thought that using top-5 pick for goalie is excessive. And i still think that way. You can do a good cup run without super goalie, but not without good forward group. F*** me, this is depressing. 1st round in playoffs is our Stanley cup...oh dear.
He's the 2nd best player out of that draft by a long shot. Be glad we got him. We had no business getting a top five that year to begin with.

Brule, Skille, Setoguchi and Lee were the next four players taken. You can't sit back and cherrypick this player or that player... We likely would've wound up with Brule if we hadn't taken Price.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:41 PM
  #125
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montrealer in Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 500
In the 2005 draft, I'm taking Price over Kopitar again.

Sure, centers are hard to find, but since 2005, we had many chances to get one as good as Kopitar (who wouldn't have a Cup without Quick). That was a fail by the organization. Arguably the best goalie in the league (I'll admit two soft goals this round, but overall very good...needed to get to Rd 2 to put on the show) is better than a very good #1C, though I dunno what he's doing these days. I don't see Kopitar coming in and changing our fortunes.

We should have just gotten a #1C in the past 12 years. I still think Chucky can get there/get back there, but even apart from him.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.