HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXVII: Neither a Barroway Nor a Lender Be

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
... Here Come the Brides.
Co-starrng Bobby Sherman & David Soul.

Old
05-14-2017, 10:05 PM
mesamonster

The spring events at the IA charade are being carefully hidden behind a facade of innuendo and the unknown! Fascinating, that in the last two months, we have silently watched as Tony Leblanc has exited the stage and not far behind was his buddy Gary Drummond. Recall, it was Drummond, along with the coach,who drummed out GMDM. They watched together as they attempted to put a real hockey team on the ice in 16-17. Results are in, they failed miserably and the encore for 17-18 appears to be more of the same.

DT has be second guessing his decision to sign a five year deal with the devil. Why would he do such a thing? has to be blind loyalty, to whom I don`t know. But it also has to a case of incredible lying and deception put forth by Randy Andy, Gary Drummond and Tony Leblanc. For all of the deception we have a mega thread worthy of five descriptive manuals of how not to own and run a franchise. Absolutely epic failure by the puppet king GB!

I think things are so dire within, that relocation may not be that impossible for 17-18. The time frame seems nearly impossible, however the idea of playing on bad ice, no fans and a horrible team are enough to warrant thoughtful consideration of leaving town.The team and the league will create nothing but ill will and horrible league PR by continuing to ignore the hard facts that the gig is up. The head fakes and lies have gone on for too long from the league and this group of impostors. At what point is the league going to admit catastrophic failure? Likely never, and there lies the mistake. Somehow they seem to believe that issues that plague this franchise are invisible to everyone but themselves. This is the worst kept lie in the NHL today. How could the deception and league incompetency not hinder the entire product. Their obstinance in this mess is also on display with their ostrich approach to the concussion lawsuit.

Gary Bettman has erred tremendously, so much so that it would not surprise me if he is let go by his Governors. His arrogance has finally caught up to him in the form of the Coyotes and the the concussion suit. Take a seat Gary and tell those that do not already know what an arrogant jerk you are.

Old
05-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Co-starrng Bobby Sherman & David Soul.
Ahhh..simpler times...

With oldest brother Jason (Robert Brown) and younger brothers Jeremy (Bobby Sherman) and Joshua Bolt (David Soul)...they were tasked in bringing 100 prospective brides from Massachusetts to Seattle, using money borrowed from the sawmill owner, in order to not lose their logging crew. If any one of the girls decided to leave, or fail in meeting the quotas set by the sawmill owner, they would lose it all...

Yep...sounds like the situation in Arizona all right...

And, in almost every scene...Jason Bolt was always wearing those stupid gloves...

Old
05-14-2017, 10:35 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post

Gary Bettman has erred tremendously, so much so that it would not surprise me if he is let go by his Governors. His arrogance has finally caught up to him in the form of the Coyotes and the the concussion suit. Take a seat Gary and tell those that do not already know what an arrogant jerk you are.
As much as I would like to see Bettman go, he isn't going anywhere. Last year he signed a contract through 2022.

Old
05-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Llama19

Quote:
The spring events at the IA charade are being carefully hidden behind a facade of innuendo and the unknown! Fascinating, that in the last two months, we have silently watched as Tony Leblanc has exited the stage and not far behind was his buddy Gary Drummond. Recall, it was Drummond, along with the coach,who drummed out GMDM. They watched together as they attempted to put a real hockey team on the ice in 16-17. Results are in, they failed miserably and the encore for 17-18 appears to be more of the same.
Most definitely...this season will be interesting...one way or another with the front office/ownership dynamics...

Quote:
DT has be second guessing his decision to sign a five year deal with the devil. Why would he do such a thing? has to be blind loyalty, to whom I don`t know. But it also has to a case of incredible lying and deception put forth by Randy Andy, Gary Drummond and Tony Leblanc. For all of the deception we have a mega thread worthy of five descriptive manuals of how not to own and run a franchise. Absolutely epic failure by the puppet king GB!
Apparently, DT is still needed for marketing purposes in holding onto past performance in hoping that things will change...

Quote:
I think things are so dire within, that relocation may not be that impossible for 17-18. The time frame seems nearly impossible, however the idea of playing on bad ice, no fans and a horrible team are enough to warrant thoughtful consideration of leaving town.The team and the league will create nothing but ill will and horrible league PR by continuing to ignore the hard facts that the gig is up. The head fakes and lies have gone on for too long from the league and this group of impostors. At what point is the league going to admit catastrophic failure? Likely never, and there lies the mistake. Somehow they seem to believe that issues that plague this franchise are invisible to everyone but themselves. This is the worst kept lie in the NHL today. How could the deception and league incompetency not hinder the entire product. Their obstinance in this mess is also on display with their ostrich approach to the concussion lawsuit.
So many theories...so many outcomes...which one...who knows until someone takes up the one true theory and turns it into a proof...

Quote:
Coyotes and concussions... or is it Coyotes and repercussions...

Old
05-14-2017, 11:37 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
East side of town.
Present location is just....

Old
05-15-2017, 09:33 AM
cbcwpg

In the category of "where are they now"

Remember these guys:

Shawn Hunter previously served as President of the NHLís Phoenix Coyotes from 1996-2002.

Steven Gluckstern 1995 as co-owner of the NHLís Winnipeg Jets. Gluckstern and his co-owner decided to move the team to Phoenix, renaming the team the Phoenix Coyotes Gluckstern and his partner sold the Coyotes in 1997

Now they are co-owners of the future Rosemont independent baseball team ( Chicago area ). They managed to build a $55-million, 6,300-seat baseball stadium at the corner of Balmoral Avenue and Pearl Street, just west of I-294. Hoping to join the American Assoc. in 2018.

Old
05-15-2017, 10:02 AM
bromine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
I have not been following the story for a few years (I still can't believe it's still going on) but what are the chances that the yotes get an arena vs relocation?
I'm in the same boat. Can someone summarize what's going on now?

Who owns the team? Are they trying to sell it? Are there new perspective owners too? What are the prospects for a new arena, and what are the possible outcomes if a new arena doesn't get built?

Old
05-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
In the category of "where are they now"

Remember these guys:

Shawn Hunter previously served as President of the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes from 1996-2002.

Steven Gluckstern 1995 as co-owner of the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets. Gluckstern and his co-owner decided to move the team to Phoenix, renaming the team the Phoenix Coyotes Gluckstern and his partner sold the Coyotes in 1997

Now they are co-owners of the future Rosemont independent baseball team ( Chicago area ). They managed to build a $55-million, 6,300-seat baseball stadium at the corner of Balmoral Avenue and Pearl Street, just west of I-294. Hoping to join the American Assoc. in 2018.
Fun feature... "Where are they know"?.... you must remember TV Guide's template when they used to run a small column on that weekly.... TV Guide.... Man.... pre-internet... suddenly I feel very old..... Funny how these guys re-surface 20yrs later like this, different sport, low rung league, totally different location.... Remnds me a bit of the long strange trip that was Ray Mirons' life who many might remember as the President & GM of the short-lived Colorado Rockies with whom Don Cherry clashed when hired as Head Coach..... Miron unlike Gluckstern & Hunter a "Hockey Lifer", successful Executive in the old Eastern Pro League in the late 50's early 60's before being hired by the Leafs in 64 to manage their 2 CHL teams in Tulsa & Oklahoma City, where he remained for over 12yrs.... Hired by Colorado 2 weeks after the team arrived from Kansas City (Scouts) lasting about 5 yrs in the Mile High City, going through something like 9 Coaches & 3 ownership groups during that period before the team moved to New Jersey. Thereafter, Miron returned to Oklahoma and more or less "retired" however.... quite surprisingly resurfaced in the early 90's forming the "new CHL" serving as Commissioner until 2000 before selling the league to Manitoba's Jim Treliving (Boston Pizza, Mr. Lube etc, one of the panel on the long running Canadian production of Dragons Den) who with his Son Brad (now GM of the Flames, former Asst GM with the Coyotes) ran the CHL for several years thereafter. Rumoured at one time to be possible buyers of the Coyotes.... so there we go, starting the day off with a fun game of Six Degree's of Kevin Bacon.... your move cbc. Who else ya got?

Old
05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
I'm in the same boat. Can someone summarize what's going on now?

Who owns the team? Are they trying to sell it? Are there new perspective owners too? What are the prospects for a new arena, and what are the possible outcomes if a new arena doesn't get built?
.... oh my God bromine.... I'ma gunna need a real strong bromine, big ol' jar of Tums.... Alka Seltzer to counteract the heartburn, acid-reflux.... bile that reaches the back of my throat in recounting the activities & goings on.... I mean, when & where did you fall off the train or perhaps fail to re-board in whatever Podunk whistle stop we put into along the way because we'd need some context to be helping you out with this.

Old
05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
  • Andrew Barroway is majority owner. The IceArizona partners are minority owners. Barroway is trying to buy out IceArizona but does not have the money or partnership to pull it off yet.
  • There are no other prospective ownership groups interested in the Arizona Coyotes at this time.
  • The prospects for a new arena are dim indeed so long as Barroway/IceArizona insist upon it being 2/3rds publicly funded.
  • The only possible outcome if the new arena is not built is eventual relocation. Neither Barroway nor IceArizona nor the league seem to believe that running the Coyotes intelligently where it is is a valid option. Thus, they will either get their white elephant in the eastern metro Phoenix area or they will flip the team for relocation.

05-15-2017, 10:52 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ What he says bromine.... whew.... thanks Freckles.

Old
05-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... oh my God bromine.... I'ma gunna need a real strong bromine, big ol' jar of Tums.... Alka Seltzer to counteract the heartburn, acid-reflux.... bile that reaches the back of my throat in recounting the activities & goings on.... I mean, when & where did you fall off the train or perhaps fail to re-board in whatever Podunk whistle stop we put into along the way because we'd need some context to be helping you out with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
  • Andrew Barroway is majority owner. The IceArizona partners are minority owners. Barroway is trying to buy out IceArizona but does not have the money or partnership to pull it off yet.
  • There are no other prospective ownership groups interested in the Arizona Coyotes at this time.
  • The prospects for a new arena are dim indeed so long as Barroway/IceArizona insist upon it being 2/3rds publicly funded.
  • The only possible outcome if the new arena is not built is eventual relocation. Neither Barroway nor IceArizona nor the league seem to believe that running the Coyotes intelligently where it is is a valid option. Thus, they will either get their white elephant in the eastern metro Phoenix area or they will flip the team for relocation.
If there is any tome written about this saga in the desert...I would elect TFP to write a CliffNotes version...

Old
05-15-2017, 10:58 AM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
I have not been following the story for a few years (I still can't believe it's still going on) but what are the chances that the yotes get an arena vs relocation?
I'd put the odds of a new arena in Arizona near 0%

Old
05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
If they want tax payers assistance, I think 0% is optimistic especially with other plans in the area.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...-expansion-bid

Quote:
Phoenix is the second-largest market in the country without an MLS club and has the largest Hispanic population of the 12 finalists. And should they land an expansion team, the club plans to build a privately financed stadium for 20,000-plus fans on the plot of land where Phoenix Risingís USL stadium is currently located.

It would be a stadium that accounts for the city's hot and dry summer, coinciding with the heart of the MLS season. And while itís being constructed, the club could look to partner with Arizona State University, the largest public university in the US, to temporarily make use of Sun Devil Stadium, the football home of ASU, located close to their future MLS home. The MLS executive visit even featured a lunch with ASU Vice President for University Athletics Ray Anderson.
Even Mr. Anderson seems to have successfully 'turned the page'

Old
05-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

Old
05-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
Given how many municipalities have built arenas for sports teams, given how much money Glendale gave to the Coyotes... while the odds of a new arena in Arizona are no doubt low, I wouldn't say they are near zero...

Old
05-15-2017, 01:01 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
The exodus continues. Anyone want to venture a guess as to who is next to leave the offices of IA?

Old
05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
If there is any tome written about this saga in the desert...I would elect TFP to write a CliffNotes version...
I dunno, TFP is a bit too accurate. I would vote instead for Killion ... just to have fun with people who might actually think David Soul plays for the Coyotes and Shane Doan is a wizard from Mars.

Old
05-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
I dunno, TFP is a bit too accurate. I would vote instead for Killion ... just to have fun with people who might actually think David Soul plays for the Coyotes and Shane Doan is a wizard from Mars.
Nah...Killion's version would be more like a graphic novel...

Spoil:
However, I would likely buy Killion's version, instead... LOL

Old
05-15-2017, 02:22 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
The exodus continues. Anyone want to venture a guess as to who is next to leave the offices of IA?
Uh.... what exodus???

This week the hired a new director of hockey ops and lose a director of team services.

It's a perennial stampede to the door I tell ya.

Old
05-15-2017, 02:23 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post

Choice is simple...

You vote TFP is you want it down to Earth...

You vote Killion if you want to go into another dimensional plane.

Old
05-15-2017, 02:38 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Choice is simple...

You vote TFP is you want it down to Earth...

You vote Killion if you want to go into another dimensional plane.
Don't judge me quite yet... I haven't decided if I am going to write it straight or if I'm going to go all Douglas Adams on this suckah...

Old
05-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Uh.... what exodus???

This week the hired a new director of hockey ops and lose a director of team services.

It's a perennial stampede to the door I tell ya.
Chief Operating Officer Ari Segal left May 3...

Source: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/03/...r-being-hired/

Today, May 15, Hockey Operations Manager of Team Services Rick Braunstein is leaving to join the Las Vegas Golden Knights...

I would call that a possible start to a mass exodus...

Old
05-15-2017, 02:48 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Don't judge me quite yet... I haven't decided if I am going to write it straight or if I'm going to go all Douglas Adams on this suckah...
I was hoping for something along the lines of James Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

Closed Thread