HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-2017 Prospect Stats and Discussion Part II | Bear & Seattle to Memorial Cup!

Old
07-02-2017, 11:29 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Prior to this draft?

IMO:

Puljujarvi
Jones
Benson
Bear
Brossoit
Khaira
Paigin
Gambardella
Ellis
Mantha / Niemelainen
That's perfect, thanks so much!

07-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

I have a slightly different question. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the potential/expectations of the players who made their NHL debut last season?

Dillon Simpson
Matt Benning
Drake Caggiula

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I have a slightly different question. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the potential/expectations of the players who made their NHL debut last season?

Dillon Simpson
Matt Benning
Drake Caggiula
Simpson didn't play in the NHL last year I don't think... Year before did tho and looked ok. Long way to go before being considered a #7 depth defender is my understanding. Most likely not an NHLer.

Matt Benning started as a #7 and worked his way steadily to be our #5 guy ahead of Darnell Nurse. Who knows if that was an anomaly or if he can continue to get better. Had stints in the top 4 where you know he just isn't there yet but for his NHL debut it's impossible to be anything less than impressed.

After seeing guys like Marincin and Davidson come in and do even better than Benning did this year I tend to be less optimistic about his future. I would be surprised if he can repeat his success from last year let alone improve upon it.

No real way to know if this guy will just get better or wash out of the league after one solid year.

Cagullia was easily one of our worst players last year but on a team with few passengers that's not really a big knock against him. Got every opportunity to succeed whether he earned it or not. Had a solid second round of the playoffs tho and absolutely has the potential to improve on his "meh" performance from last year.

His top end is a middle six forward IMO. Plays bigger than he is but that's not saying much. As terrible as Pouliot was last year expecting Cagullia to replace him is very unrealistic. Softmore slump likely.

Cagullia and Benning are similar players. Both had solid NHL debuts for the most part but neither has any draft pedigree, size, or NHL skillset that makes me think they are destined for big things. Both will only go as far as their willpower takes them. Both hardworking guys.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:33 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Simpson didn't play in the NHL last year I don't think... Year before did tho and looked ok. Long way to go before being considered a #7 depth defender is my understanding. Most likely not an NHLer.

Matt Benning started as a #7 and worked his way steadily to be our #5 guy ahead of Darnell Nurse. Who knows if that was an anomaly or if he can continue to get better. Had stints in the top 4 where you know he just isn't there yet but for his NHL debut it's impossible to be anything less than impressed.

After seeing guys like Marincin and Davidson come in and do even better than Benning did this year I tend to be less optimistic about his future. I would be surprised if he can repeat his success from last year let alone improve upon it.

No real way to know if this guy will just get better or wash out of the league after one solid year.

Cagullia was easily one of our worst players last year but on a team with few passengers that's not really a big knock against him. Got every opportunity to succeed whether he earned it or not. Had a solid second round of the playoffs tho and absolutely has the potential to improve on his "meh" performance from last year.

His top end is a middle six forward IMO. Plays bigger than he is but that's not saying much. As terrible as Pouliot was last year expecting Cagullia to replace him is very unrealistic. Softmore slump likely.

Cagullia and Benning are similar players. Both had solid NHL debuts for the most part but neither has any draft pedigree, size, or NHL skillset that makes me think they are destined for big things. Both will only go as far as their willpower takes them. Both hardworking guys.
Simpson did make his NHL debut last season. He played 3 games in Edmonton. He was steady and did make himself a possible call up candidate for this season.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Simpson did make his NHL debut last season. He played 3 games in Edmonton. He was steady and did make himself a possible call up candidate for this season.
Hmmm, my bad. For some reason I thought that was two years ago.

I remember he played ok but not so well I would want him in the line-up for anything else than a cup of coffee or as a #8/9 type guy.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

Dillon Simpson
Matt Benning
Drake Caggiula
Simpson:
Not all that excited about him... he's decent all around but isn't exceptional in anything. Nor is he big, or especially fast. Okay call-up option, miss having a Davidson/Reinhart/Oesterle.

Benning:
To me he is Sekera-lite, but a little more physical. I like him, his rookie season was encouraging, and would expect him to be a solid top 4 guy for us. Seems to always prefer the simple play, and played with great poise before taking a big hit and being out for a handful of games. Think he and Nurse could become a great pairing, but it will take a couple years imo.

Caggiula:
Happy to have him. Got off to a rough start due to injury and being expected to play 3C. He seemed to flourish and grow the moment he was placed on LW. Speedy, physical, good shot, plays hard, reliable defensively, nothing not to like. Late in the year & in the playoffs he displayed his ability to compliment a skill line. Likely a solid 3rd line guy who can move up to anywhere in the top 6 in a pinch.

Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:34 AM
GeorgeLeafer12

There isn't a thread about former Oilers prospects
so i put this here.

If anyone cares...former Oilers prospect,2002 first round pick
(15th overall) Jesse Niinimäki, in 2 years has gone from
playing in Liiga,SHL,KHL to minors in Finland,to Italy,to Belarus
and now has signed to play in Japan -> Nikko Icebucks

GeorgeLeafer12 is offline   Reply With Quote