Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Niku signed ELC

Old
05-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Interesting breakdown (minimum $162.5K first two years if he's with the Moose)

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:31 AM
ruffus23

vCash: 500
176 lbs! he must be heavier than that now.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:56 AM
ijuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Interesting breakdown (minimum $162.5K first two years if he's with the Moose)

I think it's so that he'd have a good reason to stay in AHL. In Liiga, he could probably make more than $70K, but not $162.5K.

ijuka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post
I think it's so that he'd have a good reason to stay in AHL. In Liiga, he could probably make more than $70K, but not $162.5K.
He gets his signing bonus July 1 regardless and re-assignment will only happen after training camp. So it's sort of irrelevant in terms of an incentive.

Old
05-17-2017, 12:11 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

vCash: 50
Quote:
He gets his signing bonus July 1 regardless and re-assignment will only happen after training camp. So it's sort of irrelevant in terms of an incentive.
Is this a two way deal?

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:14 PM
mcpw
WPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Is this a two way deal?
All ELCs must be two ways.

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
It has to be done this and no other way to go around the $70k limit of an ELC player in the AHL (to match what he'd get in Liiga), so I'd say the parties are very much in understanding about the implications and will act accordingly, despite the apparent moral hazard that Niku has with the European Import clause. There is such thing as Man's Word.

It's bit curious though that the clause is included in the contract anyway. It shouldn't be automatic? There may be a gentlemen's agreement about ToI or usage or stuff, and it's a safety valve in case the team finds itself unable to deliver. Or something.

We Finns tend to be very honest and trustworthy and therefore it's relatively safe to agree on various unallowed off-the-records shenanigans with us.

Last edited by Lempo: 05-17-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Sounds like a plan.......we may need extra beer money in case they suck and we have to drink them up to a respectable level.
I look forward to that scouting report.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 02:09 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I look forward to that scouting report.
ps241 tends to ramp up the bad-boy **** asterisks in those cases.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:05 PM
ijuka

Quote:
So he could just pick up the signing bonuses and play in Liiga for higher salary anyway? Hmm... Wouldn't Jets just be giving away money for absolutely no return in that case? It's odd if that's how it works.

Old
05-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
So he could just pick up the signing bonuses and play in Liiga for higher salary anyway? Hmm... Wouldn't Jets just be giving away money for absolutely no return in that case? It's odd if that's how it works.
He would also make himself very unwanted person in the team that has his rights for the next half a decade, severely hiccup his NHL dreams and, from the how it works point of view, the Jets could call him up to end the loan period in Liiga and then just sit him in the press box watching how his stocks dwindle from not playing. If they wanted to throw money for making a point.

Also, I hear Vegas has to make it to the floor and could use some dead cap weight, or Colorado might want to dress their jersey on a new pylon for the novelty of it.

Last edited by Lempo: 05-17-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
It's not his choice whether he gets assigned to Liiga or not. It's up to the Jets. He can't take the money on July 1 and sign a new contract in the Liiga, that's against the rules of the transfer agreement.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 05:15 PM
ijuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It's not his choice whether he gets assigned to Liiga or not. It's up to the Jets. He can't take the money on July 1 and sign a new contract in the Liiga, that's against the rules of the transfer agreement.
So the Jets decide if he gets to go to Liiga or AHL? So why would they ever let him go to Liiga instead of AHL? I feel really confused right now.

Well, let's hope he makes the team out of training camp. Will help my brain cease producing so much steam, too.

Old
05-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
So the Jets decide if he gets to go to Liiga or AHL? So why would they ever let him go to Liiga instead of AHL? I feel really confused right now.

Well, let's hope he makes the team out of training camp. Will help my brain cease producing so much steam, too.
It may depend on factors not evident in the offseason. If he is not getting appropriate playing time with the Moose then perhaps it could be desireable to send him to Finland over sending him to the ECHL (just an example)

Old
05-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Aavco Cup

Old
05-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Whileee

The Vatanen comparison seems exaggerated. I like him, but my expectations remain modest, especially for the next 2-3 years.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:31 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The Vatanen comparison seems exaggerated. I like him, but my expectations remain modest, especially for the next 2-3 years.
I like Niku too, but comparing a 0.66 Liiga p/gp guy to a 0.36 p/gp guy.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:36 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1310
Quote:

It seems to me there is some over thinking on this. Niku is taking his shot at the NHL. He was an absolute steal in the 7th round and has developed nicely over the last 2 years. He is at the age (21) to start the season where teams want their top prospects in the organization learning the ropes. Yes very likely he starts in the A, but as you saw last year he will get is opportunities. Hell last season we went 11 players deep on the D depth chart due to injuries. If he plays well almost guaranteed he will get NHL games and that is where he will have his chance to really prove himself. That only happens if he is close at hand and demonstrating what he can do under watchful eyes.

And as a Jets fan having some good young defensive depth in the organization is badly needed. Now having young more talented guys like Poolman, Niku and Nogier on ELC's playing for the Moose gives us way more depth that you can move back and forth when needed due to injuries than having cast off plugs as our depth in the A.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:40 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I like Niku too, but comparing a 0.66 Liiga p/gp guy to a 0.36 p/gp guy.
Vatanen is also a legit top pairing NHL dmen, I think chances are slim that Niku morphs into one. I'll be thrilled if he turns into a good puck moving number 4.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:50 PM
ijuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Nutivaara seems more accurate to me.

Old
05-17-2017, 06:53 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Nutivaara seems more accurate to me.
Also someone I'm hoping to become. Nutivaara I think was even under-appreciated by CBJ this season.

Last edited by garret9: 05-17-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old
05-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

He will go to the AHL. This is only being brought up since there is a lot of finnish fans on the Jets forum nowadays that would like to see their players stay at home. On rare occasions teams loan signed players back to european teams for development (Esa Lindell in Dallas or Nikolai Goldobin when he was in San Jose for examples) but it doesn't happen very often. Apparently there is in fact a stipulation that teenage players signed out of Europe must be offered back to European leagues first before AHL, but this is not in play here due to Niku's age. I would be shocked if loaning Niku back to Europe is in any kind of play here.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
It seems to me there is some over thinking on this. Niku is taking his shot at the NHL. He was an absolute steal in the 7th round and has developed nicely over the last 2 years. He is at the age (21) to start the season where teams want their top prospects in the organization learning the ropes. Yes very likely he starts in the A, but as you saw last year he will get is opportunities. Hell last season we went 11 players deep on the D depth chart due to injuries. If he plays well almost guaranteed he will get NHL games and that is where he will have his chance to really prove himself. That only happens if he is close at hand and demonstrating what he can do under watchful eyes.

And as a Jets fan having some good young defensive depth in the organization is badly needed. Now having young more talented guys like Poolman, Niku and Nogier on ELC's playing for the Moose gives us way more depth that you can move back and forth when needed due to injuries than having cast off plugs as our depth in the A.
Agree. I kind of like Niku and Nogier. Both are very mobile. Nogier plays a simple game and seems to have a good handle on defending. Niku is smart and has some nice skill. They are a breath of fresh air after suffering through Stuart, Chiarot and Melchiori, who all lack mobility and smarts with the puck.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 07:09 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Last year as a 21-yo Nutivaara:
TOI/GP: 19:45
56.1 Corsi, best on team
22 pts / 50 GP, 0.44 p/gp

This year as a 20-yo Niku:
TOI/GP: 19:47
53.7 Corsi, 3rd best on team
27 pts / 59 GP, 0.46 p/gp

Old
05-17-2017, 07:43 PM
portamoral

wouldn't mind at all if he stayed in finland for 1 more year. will be exciting to watch him play if he's with the moose though

portamoral is online now   Reply With Quote