HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the issues in Eichel's game due to laziness? Lack of focus? Needing to mature?

Old
05-13-2017, 07:49 AM
BiPolarBear

vCash: 500
Are the issues in Eichel's game due to laziness? Lack of focus? Needing to mature?

In this game his problem was as simple as effort, one of the fastest players in the game and he looked slow, when he was benched a couple times the rockets on his skates fired on his first shift back. Shouldn't need to be benched.

MOD EDIT: I brought this discussion over from WC thread. It's a topic worthy of its own thread.

Last edited by joshjull: 05-15-2017 at 12:07 PM.
BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 09:19 AM
threeVo

Eichel should be the best player in the tourney and for some reason he isn't putting it together. I've given benefit of the doubt but now it's very strange to me. Just show up, score, and play your game. It can only be mental there isn't anything he can't do physically.

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Eichel should be the best player in the tourney and for some reason he isn't putting it together. I've given benefit of the doubt but now it's very strange to me. Just show up, score, and play your game. It can only be mental there isn't anything he can't do physically.
Seems like it's mental with him. He over thinks it sometimes, and maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself to make the perfect play (I'm not sure; I haven't been watching). Hopefully whoever we get as coach can help him simplify his game.

I will say that based on these last two tournaments and how well he played in the regular season, continuity (of roles, linemates, systems -- even if it's a bad system) seems to benefit him.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 10:42 AM
JackTheRipper

The World Championships is irrelevant. Players only go for the free vacation and to sleep with European chicks.

JackTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 01:26 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
The World Championships is irrelevant. Players only go for the free vacation and to sleep with European chicks.
Good point, money is tight for these guys, how could you pass up the free vacation after a long season.

sabrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Three straight bad tournaments not two as he was pretty average at the U18s when his team needed him. And after getting his team into the Frozen Four he was pretty terrible in the final too. He has not been a big game player so far in his short Hockey career.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Three straight bad tournaments not two as he was pretty average at the U18s when his team needed him. And after getting his team into the Frozen Four he was pretty terrible in the final too. He has not been a big game player so far in his short Hockey career.
I think you mean U20.

He did ok at the World's during his draft year. Expectations were much lower though.

There seems to be an intensity issue with Jack. When others raise it, he takes some time to adjust.

I'm not really worried about it but worth noting.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 05:49 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
I couldn't possibly care less if Eichel doesn't play well in international tournaments as long as he keeps playing well for the blue and gold.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 05:58 PM
"Craigs on it"

I only care about what Jack does for the Buffalo Sabres, we've all seen how good he can be in the NHL.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Samsonite23

Sounds like he had an awful game. He was awesome against Sweden. I'm not worried.

Samsonite23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 06:35 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonite23 View Post
Sounds like he had an awful game. He was awesome against Sweden. I'm not worried.
Anything less then him dominating is considered awful around here, that's what happens when you are big and make everything look so effortlessly. I guess people don't remember a young Mario.

Old
05-13-2017, 06:43 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Anything less then him dominating is considered awful around here, that's what happens when you are big and make everything look so effortlessly. I guess people don't remember a young Mario.
Please.

I don't think you remember young Mario.

Old
05-13-2017, 06:55 PM
cybresabre
turning timber

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
His game is best when he can roam all over the ice and the puck is always on his stick. National teams aren't built to suit that role--they have too many good players who can lug the mail and too little practice time to hammer out the details.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 07:02 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
Please.

I don't think you remember young Mario.
The game was so different back then....but anyways. My point was big smooth players almost always get critized for effort. Joe Thornton was no different.

Old
05-13-2017, 08:35 PM
kummelweck

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Seems like it's mental with him. He over thinks it sometimes, and maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself to make the perfect play (I'm not sure; I haven't been watching). Hopefully whoever we get as coach can help him simplify his game.

I will say that based on these last two tournaments and how well he played in the regular season, continuity (of roles, linemates, systems -- even if it's a bad system) seems to benefit him.
I'd like to see if Botterill can surround him with the coaching he needs. Despite his point totals this year, he's not where you would expect he should be developmentally.

I was hoping he would dominate, but he has slowly seen his ice time reduced this tournament. He's not good against tight-checking teams, five on five.

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 09:59 AM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
The game was so different back then....but anyways. My point was big smooth players almost always get critized for effort. Joe Thornton was no different.
It's not about the game being different or big players.

Mario was far superior to his peers than Eichel. Flat out. And more to the point of international tournaments, Mario was a beast because his crazy iq let him excel even more with other top talent.

Jack doesn't look lazy because he is big. Let's leave it at that.

Old
05-14-2017, 10:05 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
It's not about the game being different or big players.

Mario was far superior to his peers than Eichel. Flat out. And more to the point of international tournaments, Mario was a beast because his crazy iq let him excel even more with other top talent.

Jack doesn't look lazy because he is big. Let's leave it at that.
Well, he also isn't as lazy as you seem to be suggesting. Unless I'm not reading you right.

BowieSabresFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 10:25 AM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Well, he also isn't as lazy as you seem to be suggesting. Unless I'm not reading you right.
I don't think he is the laziest player in the league. But he doesn't keep himself busy like truly dominant players. And I'm not going off just this tournament. With his speed he could be in on most every play he wants to. But a lot of times he coasts, taking a mental break.

He has improved from his rookie year quite a bit. But you can't look honestly at his game up to this point in his career and not have the main critique in his game be playing at a higher pace without the puck.

With the puck I like the deliberate change of pace plays that he does. Fits his skill set very well. Without the puck he becomes very average, despite having the physical size and skills to be a dominant player off the puck.

It's frustrating because over the last two years you can see when he gets a little pissed or frustrated and he turns it up. And when that happens you see a top 5 player in the world right now. When he is in normal mode, I see lazy young kovalchuk and I think what a waste of opportunity to be the best.

Great young player, but so much more game to tap into.

Old
05-14-2017, 10:35 AM
lancaster14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kummelweck View Post
He's not good against tight-checking teams, five on five.
If true, this doesn't bode well for Eichel when the Sabres finally make it back to the playoffs.

lancaster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 10:36 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
I don't think he is the laziest player in the league. But he doesn't keep himself busy like truly dominant players. And I'm not going off just this tournament. With his speed he could be in on most every play he wants to. But a lot of times he coasts, taking a mental break.

He has improved from his rookie year quite a bit. But you can't look honestly at his game up to this point in his career and not have the main critique in his game be playing at a higher pace without the puck.

With the puck I like the deliberate change of pace plays that he does. Fits his skill set very well. Without the puck he becomes very average, despite having the physical size and skills to be a dominant player off the puck.

It's frustrating because over the last two years you can see when he gets a little pissed or frustrated and he turns it up. And when that happens you see a top 5 player in the world right now. When he is in normal mode, I see lazy young kovalchuk and I think what a waste of opportunity to be the best.

I can actually agree with a lot of that.

I would suggest though, that with his high hockey iq, and powerful, easy stride, he does not have to expend as much effort to get to the right spot. Sometimes, I think, that us where some of the perceived laziness is.

BowieSabresFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

This is going to be the great divide... those who see and objectively call it out, and those who deny it, or seek to rationalize it (see Bowie response).

Once we solve the other issues (coaching, blueline) this issue will be front and center

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 11:14 AM
DapperCam

Quote:

I don't think it's laziness. I think he isn't always sure where he's supposed to be when he doesn't have the puck. That could improve with coaching.

DapperCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 12:17 PM
BiPolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperCam View Post
I don't think it's laziness. I think he isn't always sure where he's supposed to be when he doesn't have the puck. That could improve with coaching.
There's laziness in his game, sometimes it seems like an arrogant laziness where he thinks he's so good he doesn't have to put out maximum effort and other times he seems petulant and immature, if things aren't breaking his way he displays his anger by just not trying hard.

I saw a lot less of it in 2017 than in his rookie year but his play in this tournament is a bit disturbing. He doesn't mesh well with linemates, why that is I'm not sure, but what I'm sure of by now is it's not his linemates' fault, the idea that he's so scary brilliant nobody can figure out how to play with him is bs - it's Jack who needs to figure out how to play with them.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 12:22 PM
BananaSquad

Eichel will be fine. You know who else never showed for these tournys... crosby

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Aladyyn
victim of changes

I'm sure there is no adjustment period to playing with a guy that has the puck on his stick more than anyone else.

Reinhart figured it out, why can't anyone else?

Aladyyn is online now   Reply With Quote