HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the issues in Eichel's game due to laziness? Lack of focus? Needing to mature?

Old
05-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Maybe Eichel is going out after games and fighting crime vigilante style and he's tired.

Maybe he has been scaling trees to save kittens.

OR

Maybe we shouldn't read too much into a couple games in an international tourney where he's been the best player in a few games and his team top of their pool.
Agree 100% TehDoak.

Whatever line he's been on has been the most dangerous for the U.S. if you watch the games. Just because he's not all useless energy like D-Lo on five cans of Monster Energy doesn't mean he's lazy.

If you disagree, please explain how Eichel lead the NHL last year in shots per game, O-Zone entries, and D-Zone carries if he's lazy.

Your eye test is useless. Plus you're a defeatist whiner-line aficionado who likes to rip our best players - I guess to feel better about yourself?

I bet the same people calling him lazy were the same ones getting on him in those YouTube videos of him and Vesey in the summer men's league.

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabres 4 Brisebois

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
Hey, why don't we trade Eichel+ to St. Louis for P....aul Stastny. Because Stastny is actually the all time record holder in points and ppg for team USA at the WCs. I mean, that's what really matters doesn't it? A yearly tourney that frankly is meh that goes on during the real tournament the Stanley Cup playoffs. It doesn't matter Eichel was literally a ppg player with about ten days left in the season and went through a mini slump at the end, since he isn't dominating the WCs there is obviously an issue.

I hope this is the last WCs Eichel has to ever play. It would mean we are going deep in playoff runs if that's the case. How many Sabre fans from Buffalo would truly be ecstatic if Eichel led the WC in scoring and led the US to Gold? It would elicit more of a that's nice reaction from me, not me crying tears of joy and such an "amazing"'feat.

Eichel still isn't at 100% yet. Several former nhlers said he wouldn't be at 100% until next season, that's one of the reasons I wanted him to skip the tourney. I'd be more concerned if next year he was struggling out of the gate while also looking disinterested. We all, meaning the Sabre fans who watched Jack play know that he could have easily been well over a ppg this year if not for bad puck luck/lack of finish from teammates.

Are there aspects that frustrate me with Jack? Sure, some minor ones. Some times he looks aloof when things aren't going well or when he is non Chalant about line changes. But there were several times this past year when he was a demon on skates. Him forechecking and blowing past Moulson even with Moulson having a gigantic 50-60 foot head start will be something I'll never forget whenever Eichels effort is brought into question. He was 20. He will earn more consistency as he gets older. Every young player has times where they look lackadaisical. Even McDavid did this past post season. No need to worry. I still am not trading Eichel for anyone in the world aside from Connor McDavid.

Reinharts production at the WC last year was far less then Eichels this year. And aside from his Draft year his postseasons with Kootenay were nothing extraordinary. Reinhart will be fine. Eichel will be fine. No one can say Jack or Sam will be bad/good/one better then the other until we actually get into the NHL playoffs. Saying Eichel is bound to disappoint in the playoffs is impossible to predict. And how does Ovy disappear in the playoffs? Because his team can't get out of round 2? It's not all on Ovechkin, he has a .5 gpg in the playoffs and is close to a ppg in the post season. I'm hoping Eichel is more of a Getzlaf/Malkin type in the playoffs which is just as likely as saying he'll be like Ovy/Stamkos
Reinhart played a shut down role on last years World Cup team, playing on the 3rd line getting far less minutes than Eichel. At the World Jrs, and this is my opinion but he drove that Duclair/Domi line and when he played for Kooteney his post season is ridiculous. Every level he's been on, playing on the big stage he has performed so I speculate not just personal opinion but data collected through watching players through tournaments and playoffs.

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 02:44 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
Reinhart played a shut down role on last years World Cup team, playing on the 3rd line getting far less minutes than Eichel. At the World Jrs, and this is my opinion but he drove that Duclair/Domi line and when he played for Kooteney his post season is ridiculous. Every level he's been on, playing on the big stage he has performed so I speculate not just personal opinion but data collected through watching players through tournaments and playoffs.
I'm assuming you mean World Championship not World Cup.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Maybe Eichel is going out after games and fighting crime vigilante style and he's tired.

Maybe he has been scaling trees to save kittens.

OR

Maybe we shouldn't read too much into a couple games in an international tourney where he's been the best player in a few games and his team top of their pool.
Well played, sir, well played.

05-15-2017, 03:07 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
Reinhart scored 3 points his first 16 playoff games in the dub. Granted, 7 of those games came as a 15 year old kid but still, in his D-1 year when he led his team in scoring he scored one assist in 5 games while his team scored a whopping 4 goals in 5 playoff games. I'm not bashing Reinhart, but insinuating that Eichel will be a playoff choker and Reinhart as some guaranteed Conn Smythe type performer is going out on a limb. Reinhart had one dominant postseason and that was in his draft year. His first three playoffs he had literally no production and even his D+1 playoffs was a little disappointing even though he was a bit over a ppg. He was great at the WJCs with Domi/DuClair I definitely admit that, that's why I've been pondering if the Yotes do move OEL that they wouldn't target Reinhart. OEL even while a top 10 dman has two years left. Reinhart as the centerpiece is fair value.

Eichel will be fine, and I guarantee when this team starts being a perennial playoff team it will be Eichel leading the Sabres in playoff scoring, just like Briere did for us.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 03:14 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
The game was so different back then....but anyways. My point was big smooth players almost always get critized for effort. Joe Thornton was no different.
Yeah, you had every player on the opposing team including the goalie and the coach wanting to get the opportunity to knock your head off if you weren't paying attention.

Joe Thornton early in his career wasn't a good player. Lemiuex is a way different story.

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 03:19 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Eichel will be fine. You know who else never showed for these tournys... crosby
There's a difference, Crosby put up 102 points in his rookie-season and followed that up with 120 the season after. I haven't seen any indication from Eichel to be that good and his play at the WC is making me worried.

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 06:25 PM
tsujimoto74

jc, the pessimism on this board. Sometimes things are fine, guys.

Kid was nearly a PPG player at 20, while coming off a bad injury and having to slough through offense-killing coaching.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 06:40 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Connor McDavid didn't show up against the Ducks. Super lazy.

He's 20. Consistency is what every player his age, even 97, needs to develop. That is all.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
jc, the pessimism on this board. Sometimes things are fine, guys.

Kid was nearly a PPG player at 20, while coming off a bad injury and having to slough through offense-killing coaching.
Because Buffalo.

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 08:57 PM
BiPolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaybz View Post
wtf

talk about pulling something out of thin air
i guess you didn't see the last games of the season or you don't know what 'petulant' means. I saw this at the 2015 WJC, Eichel's reaction to adversity on ice is poor. For those who can't see it or acknowledge it you're in denial. It cost Jack a 2 million dollar bonus to boot this year.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
i guess you didn't see the last games of the season or you don't know what 'petulant' means. I saw this at the 2015 WJC, Eichel's reaction to adversity on ice is poor. For those who can't see it or acknowledge it you're in denial. It cost Jack a 2 million dollar bonus to boot this year.
Holy hyperbole

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:53 AM
wunderpanda
no more murray!

Jack isn't doing anything different in this tourney; same guy we've watched in the NHL, same guy from the Frozen 4. Hard to complain when he's near a point per game and that individual success has helped his teams in the past. May just be his talent allowed him to ignore things; when that talent is flashy goals it's easy to just let him play. Even understand if he's a diva, goals get attention and praise. Exact same guy Sabres drafted. Probably just parts of the game he never had to learn, never needed another gear because cruise control always worked.

Not sure when or if he'll develop another gear, but expect it will take seasons to develop into a more complete player. He'll still score near a ppg; that's the job he was drafted for.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:31 AM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
Jack does seem like a bit of a suck

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:22 AM
wunderpanda
no more murray!

That pouting tho... it's not helping him with the refs.

Maybe it's subconscious, the slumped shoulders and hanging head, the lost look when something didn't work. That's a habit that was rewarded somehow in the past and re-inforced over years. Might just be mentally weak, needing to be comforted cause he showed up. Why try harder if showing up gets you sympathy and excuses.

Might be hard not being the best player on the ice every night, might be why he avoided juniors for a season being the hometown celebrity athlete. Protect his brand image at the expense of the team supporting him, taking 10 shots a game is a dynamic distraction from the 90% of his game that is underdeveloped.

Weak, fragile, insecure, paranoid. If he continues to score at nearly a point per game, won't care too awful much. Really is a case of the rest of the team needing to accommodate Jack and all his flaws; and Jack not getting offended knowing they are compensating for him. Honestly may never change; scoring a point per game will keep a body pampered and coddled.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:23 AM
Mergus

I believe there is a rope-a-dope strategy to his game. He lulls apponents to sleep and conserves energy and then turns on the afterburners when necessary. Given his unique stride and blazing speed, it is quite possible he simply can't keep that up for an entire shift. It is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. The only reason we notice him being "lazy" and slow is because he is so much faster than most players when he really pushes. Players who think the game at a different level are often criticized for being "lazy".

Mergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

I think he's just a player that needs some decent coaching. He hasn't gotten it the last 2 years. I question if he got it in college. Prior to that, who knows. Kid may have never had a coach as good at coaching as he is at hockey.

Then again my grandpa used to tell me stories about Perrault didn't care and only tried for 5 minutes every game.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:00 AM
dasaybz
da saybz

Quote:
Ahh yes, Jack and his reaction to adversity. Please, school us all on how the proper way to handle adversity is. I'm sure you've played professional hockey at 19 years old before, so please, tell us all how his reaction to adversity is costing him millions. You must be an expert at adversity, or you must really be able to magically tell what people are thinking when they hit adverse situations.

This is so ridiculous, I can't even believe that someone actually thought this out, and posted it on a message board.

dasaybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:13 AM
BananaSquad

Eichel is fine holy geez!

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

I think Buffalo fans don't feel quite right if something isn't wrong. A product of being used to mediocrity.

Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:24 AM
WiHockeyGuy

Simply amazing how many sports psychologists are in this thread.

WiHockeyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:27 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
I watched the last few games of the season and i know what petulant means, but i have no clue what you are talking about.

1point21Gigawatts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:30 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiHockeyGuy View Post
Simply amazing how many sports psychologists are in this thread.
"I am not a doctor sports psychologist , but I play one on TV internet hockey message boards."

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:36 AM
BiPolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaybz View Post
Ahh yes, Jack and his reaction to adversity. Please, school us all on how the proper way to handle adversity is. I'm sure you've played professional hockey at 19 years old before, so please, tell us all how his reaction to adversity is costing him millions. You must be an expert at adversity, or you must really be able to magically tell what people are thinking when they hit adverse situations.

This is so ridiculous, I can't even believe that someone actually thought this out, and posted it on a message board.
Are you really a fan of this team or just so bored with your life you visit forums about things you don't really follow?

Did you not watch the last 2 weeks of the season? With a chance to become a PPG player he finished the last 5 games with 2 points, and not for bad luck. Because of that he missed out on a 2 million dollar bonus. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...alo-sabres-nhl

At the end of a disappointing season, missing the playoffs, missing out on his PPG bonus, from a hockey player's standpoint that's adversity.
When he faced the media a couple days following the end of the season he put on a performance rarely seen, he was PETULANT, rolling his eyeballs, sticking his bottom lip out, rolling his head and shoulders, not looking people in the eye. Show me another player who came close to that performance?

When things don't work out for Jack on the ice it is easy to see that it affects his effort and play.

Do you watch at all?

I'm a huge Eichel fan, and for the Sabres to ever win anything he needs to be its best player and leader.

Do you think all the non-Sabres fans who criticize Eichel do it because he plays for Buffalo and you indulge yourself with this imagined victimhood sports fans of Buffalo have deluded themselves into believing exists?

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
"I am not a doctor sports psychologist , but I play one on TV internet hockey message boards."
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Jim Bob is online now   Reply With Quote