HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Are the issues in Eichel's game due to laziness? Lack of focus? Needing to mature?

Old
05-16-2017, 10:06 AM
WiHockeyGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
No. But I saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico.

WiHockeyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Sabre Dance
Blow Leafs Blow

I think he's played well today.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
I think he's played well today.
I think it has been one of his worst games of the tournament. Other than getting into a few shoving matches he has shown no intensity and has been skating at half speed all game. I have to think he's suffering the effects of some of the hits early in the tournament. He had a shift late in the 2nd that lasted about 10 seconds before he skated to the bench with his head down.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:20 PM
dasaybz
da saybz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
Are you really a fan of this team or just so bored with your life you visit forums about things you don't really follow?

Did you not watch the last 2 weeks of the season? With a chance to become a PPG player he finished the last 5 games with 2 points, and not for bad luck. Because of that he missed out on a 2 million dollar bonus. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...alo-sabres-nhl

At the end of a disappointing season, missing the playoffs, missing out on his PPG bonus, from a hockey player's standpoint that's adversity.
When he faced the media a couple days following the end of the season he put on a performance rarely seen, he was PETULANT, rolling his eyeballs, sticking his bottom lip out, rolling his head and shoulders, not looking people in the eye. Show me another player who came close to that performance?

When things don't work out for Jack on the ice it is easy to see that it affects his effort and play.

Do you watch at all?

I'm a huge Eichel fan, and for the Sabres to ever win anything he needs to be its best player and leader.

Do you think all the non-Sabres fans who criticize Eichel do it because he plays for Buffalo and you indulge yourself with this imagined victimhood sports fans of Buffalo have deluded themselves into believing exists?
The guy was pissed off because they sucked last year, but some people want to make him out like some pouty little brat because he sticks his lip out. He just wants to win, and this losing crap isn't good enough for him, but you take that as him reacting poor to adversity.

You see a brat, I see a guy that wants to win and hates losing. I think he's more of a sore loser than anything, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

dasaybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:03 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push Dr Tracksuit View Post
I think he's just a player that needs some decent coaching. He hasn't gotten it the last 2 years. I question if he got it in college. Prior to that, who knows. Kid may have never had a coach as good at coaching as he is at hockey.

Then again my grandpa used to tell me stories about Perrault didn't care and only tried for 5 minutes every game.
Gilbert Perreault? Sabres are lucky if Eichel is as good as Pierre Turgeon.

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
..... No?

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:51 PM
sabrebuild

This thread went loco after a very reasonable page of discussion.

Pretty good for hf!!☺️☺️

sabrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Sabre Dance
Blow Leafs Blow

Eichel is 2nd on USA in assists. He has no goals but leads the tourney in shots.

Not really worried. If he just had his average shot % he would have 3 goals and 8 points in 7 games. This is considered bad lazy Eichel.

Old
05-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Dingo44
Team Aladyyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post

He's already better.

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 06:25 PM
ihadtochangethename

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
This is going to be the great divide... those who see and objectively call it out, and those who deny it, or seek to rationalize it (see Bowie response).

Once we solve the other issues (coaching, blueline) this issue will be front and center
best response in here, tired of the he can do no wrong how dare you question his play crap

ihadtochangethename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Sabre Dance
Blow Leafs Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
This is going to be the great divide... those who see and objectively call it out, and those who deny it, or seek to rationalize it (see Bowie response).

Once we solve the other issues (coaching, blueline) this issue will be front and center
As someone that called it out a very long time ago and got hung out to dry for it I think it will be front and center as early as next year. I'm a little nervous about next season with Eichel. He's now labeled a coach killer. There will be a target on his back from fans and media.

If Botterill hits on coach and makes the right moves this offseason they should win, but if they don't win all the criticism will fall on Eichel. That's a lot to handle for a 21 year old.

Old
05-16-2017, 06:58 PM
kummelweck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihadtochangethename View Post
best response in here, tired of the he can do no wrong how dare you question his play crap
Quote:
As someone that called it out a very long time ago and got hung out to dry for it I think it will be front and center as early as next year. I'm a little nervous about next season with Eichel. He's now labeled a coach killer. There will be a target on his back from fans and media.

If Botterill hits on coach and makes the right moves this offseason they should win, but if they don't win all the criticism will fall on Eichel. That's a lot to handle for a 21 year old.
I am happy to have a great player but still holding out hope that he could be a generational. I see the tools there.

The truth is right now, he does not seem to be on that trajectory. He is probably top 3 PP guy in the game at 20, but the consistency and even strength play is not there, and he has yet to have a coach after college that trust him on the PK.

I would hope most critics are in that camp, that they are trying to figure out who this kid is and where he stacks up. Worst case, we have a Stamkos, Tavares, Thornton or Backstrom on our hands, which will set this team up to be really great if they get the other pieces.

Selfishly as fans, we suffered, and I think many of us feel we deserve a generational talent. Expectations may be too high right now due to the events that led to him being drafted here.

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 06:59 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:

How does your response fit with the quoted, I'm confused.

Old
05-16-2017, 07:29 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

He's now labeled as a coach killer by you and 3 or 4 other massively dramatic posters who take things from 1 to 10 in a heart beat.

Get a grip. Christ on a crutch.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:44 PM
hizzoner

I bet I saw most of Bert's games at the AUD. He was neither lazy not apathetic. No one on those early teams under Imlach or Bowman was like that. They did not always have the talent but from day one they bust their butts.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Sabre Dance
Blow Leafs Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
He's now labeled as a coach killer by you and 3 or 4 other massively dramatic posters who take things from 1 to 10 in a heart beat.

Get a grip. Christ on a crutch.
I didnt label him that. Open your eyes. Read other boards.

Also being labeled that is not the end of the world, Lemieux and Crosby were labeled coach killers at one point.

Last edited by Sabre Dance: 05-16-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old
05-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Sabre Dance
Blow Leafs Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
How does your response fit with the quoted, I'm confused.
Quoted said once coach and blueline are solved Eichel's play away from the puck will be front and center. My reply said it will happen before that. I added my opinion why it will happen before that. Eichel will have a target on his back.

Old
05-16-2017, 08:06 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
And since he's absolutely not a "coach killer", and you know this ... you still bring that crap that a vast minority of fans from other teams that don't care for the Sabres, and spit it out on this forum ... because .....?

No good reason at all.

So if a handful of Sabres fans think Crosby is a cry baby and plays dirty often ..... and a Pens fan reads that on our forum, then goes over to the Pens forum and says ... "Well, Crosby IS a cry baby and plays dirty often."

Even though the vast majority don't think that. It's accurate and factual to perpetrate that narrative?

To say "fans think" Eichel IS a coach killer. Is completely inaccurate, false, and obnoxious.

A select few, a vocal minority from some fan bases think that.

And the way you came across to me in the post, was that YOU thought he was a coach killer.

Which is absurd of course.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:26 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Quoted said once coach and blueline are solved Eichel's play away from the puck will be front and center. My reply said it will happen before that. I added my opinion why it will happen before that. Eichel will have a target on his back.
Interesting.

Old
05-16-2017, 08:36 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And since he's absolutely not a "coach killer", and you know this ... you still bring that crap that a vast minority of fans from other teams that don't care for the Sabres, and spit it out on this forum ... because .....?

No good reason at all.

So if a handful of Sabres fans think Crosby is a cry baby and plays dirty often ..... and a Pens fan reads that on our forum, then goes over to the Pens forum and says ... "Well, Crosby IS a cry baby and plays dirty often."

Even though the vast majority don't think that. It's accurate and factual to perpetrate that narrative?

To say "fans think" Eichel IS a coach killer. Is completely inaccurate, false, and obnoxious.

A select few, a vocal minority from some fan bases think that.

And the way you came across to me in the post, was that YOU thought he was a coach killer.

Which is absurd of course.
I don't know what is meant exactly by "coach killer" --

But I think it's fairly obvious based on the totality of comments from folks around the team that he clashed with Bylsma.

I think it's more likely than not that the report around him not wanting to sign a contract extension with Bylsma here was true, even if he only said it once and even if he later changed his mind.

I think that it's more likely than not that Pegula would've fired Bylsma either way.

But if he hadn't been willing to before, Jack Eichel certainly gave him adequate reason to.

In that sense, if someone said to me that Jack Eichel may as well have gotten Bylsma canned, I'd say, eh, sounds plausible. He may have killed a coach, whether or not that makes him a "coach killer" in the abstract.

And I can say all that and still support the player, because God knows somebody had to be a coach killer there.

EDIT: Also, 9 times out of 10, you get the less biased view looking at other team's boards. Every board is massively biased in favor of their own guys. As you'd expect.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:37 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Also being labeled that is not the end of the world, Lemieux and Crosby were labeled coach killers at one point.
Do we care what other idiots outside the organization are calling him when they're wrong, tho? I know I don't.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:49 PM
toomuchsauce

Hello.

a) "denying" that Eichel doesn't hustle to the bench and sometimes rolls his head back like Derek Roy used to do when he ****s up/something goes wrong;

is different from

b) not caring about those things.

He's 20 and he was 11th in the league in points per game last season, on a team that was 24th in the league in goal scoring. He shot 9.5% and had elite shot generation. He didn't really finish the season very well during "garbage time." There is no argument that his stats were somehow inflated, which means it is not unreasonable to expect him to repeat them, or even improve, next year. Right now, if you had to guess, would you not take 0.93 pts/gm from Eichel next season? If the team improves offensively under a new coach, would you not expect him to improve his 5v5 scoring, too?

These, ahem, "issues" are overblown to begin with and they'll likely become less noticeable with simple maturity. You can acknowledge this exists AND believe it doesn't matter. It's not either/or.

Or you could be mitchmarnerguy6969420lol and just be like "lol he is bad" every time Eichel's name comes up on this website. To each his or her own, I guess.

toomuchsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:19 PM
threeVo

His shooting % is a concern, but mostly just bad luck, that was the same all season continuing into the tournament. Stamkos is a career 17.% shooter, Evander Kane 9%. Ryan Getzlaf 12%

If Eichel would just get to Getzlaf level he would have had 6 more goals this year (30) and if he gets a season at stamkos level he would eclipse 50 (42 this season).

I dont think he is a volume shooter like Kane, and I dont think he is an elite goal scorer like Stamkos. Once this corrects itself into the 12-15% range we cant really complain anymore, or at the very least will overlook more of his shortcomings due to the increase in goal scoring

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Samsonite23

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
His shooting % is a concern, but mostly just bad luck, that was the same all season continuing into the tournament. Stamkos is a career 17.% shooter, Evander Kane 9%. Ryan Getzlaf 12%

If Eichel would just get to Getzlaf level he would have had 6 more goals this year (30) and if he gets a season at stamkos level he would eclipse 50 (42 this season).

I dont think he is a volume shooter like Kane, and I dont think he is an elite goal scorer like Stamkos. Once this corrects itself into the 12-15% range we cant really complain anymore, or at the very least will overlook more of his shortcomings due to the increase in goal scoring
He still has a lot to learn. I'm. It worried whatsoever. His shot is too good.

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:25 PM
toomuchsauce

Also, there is an active and vocal strain of Buffalo fan who loves to conflate "morbid negativity" with "reality."

E.g., "Eichel shrugs his shoulders a lot and does not hustle to the bench, so he is bad and we're never going to win anything ever and Reinhart is bad, too. That's just reality, you all must just be wearing Sabres colored glasses with your narratives and state-run media (FAKE NEWS!)."

toomuchsauce is offline   Reply With Quote