HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Are the issues in Eichel's game due to laziness? Lack of focus? Needing to mature?

Old
05-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Sabre the Win
O'Reilly to Wing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsauce View Post
Also, there is an active and vocal strain of Buffalo fan who loves to conflate "morbid negativity" with "reality."

E.g., "Eichel shrugs his shoulders a lot and does not hustle to the bench, so he is bad and we're never going to win anything ever and Reinhart is bad, too. That's just reality, you all must just be wearing Sabres colored glasses with your narratives and state-run media (FAKE NEWS!)."
Bet that wouldn't happen if we had McDavid

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:48 PM
toomuchsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
Bet that wouldn't happen if we had McDavid
Not sure if serious...but...apparently you do not live in WNY? Because lol, no, "McDavid is just one player and he is too soft to ever get us the Cup" was a thing going all the way back to when the (then) draft-eligible McDavid and the Erie Otters played a game against the Niagara Ice Dogs at the First Niagara Center (or whatever it was then).

I think I see where you're coming from, but...

Perpetual negativity is entrenched in middle-aged WNYers, and has been passed down to younger generations, some of whom have rejected it, some of whom have accepted it. Old habits die hard around here.

toomuchsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:07 PM
toomuchsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsauce View Post
Not sure if serious...but...apparently you do not live in WNY? Because lol, no, "McDavid is just one player and he is too soft to ever get us the Cup" was a thing going all the way back to when the (then) draft-eligible McDavid and the Erie Otters played a game against the Niagara Ice Dogs at the First Niagara Center (or whatever it was then).

I think I see where you're coming from, but...

Perpetual negativity is entrenched in middle-aged WNYers, and has been passed down to younger generations, some of whom have rejected it, some of whom have accepted it. Old habits die hard around here.
Fans wanted Hasek run out of town for being soft. Dom Hasek. The best goaltender in NHL history. People used to regularly say that Peca - MIKE PECA - had "gone soft" because he was prominently featured in commercials for the grocery chain Tops.

Do not underestimate the average Buffalo-area person's penchant for being aggrieved by everyone and everything (beyond sports, even - literally everyone and everything). But especially sports people and things. It is limitless.

toomuchsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Samsonite23

I haven't been watching all of the games. Dangerous question I guess, but has he really been bad? I watched the 1st period today, and I thought he looked good.

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 02:50 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
His shooting % is a concern, but mostly just bad luck, that was the same all season continuing into the tournament. Stamkos is a career 17.% shooter, Evander Kane 9%. Ryan Getzlaf 12%

If Eichel would just get to Getzlaf level he would have had 6 more goals this year (30) and if he gets a season at stamkos level he would eclipse 50 (42 this season).

I dont think he is a volume shooter like Kane, and I dont think he is an elite goal scorer like Stamkos. Once this corrects itself into the 12-15% range we cant really complain anymore, or at the very least will overlook more of his shortcomings due to the increase in goal scoring
That's true, but how many of his shots are from the middle of the ice in high scoring zones? Austin Matthews for example rarely ever shoots the puck from where Eichel would, but Eichel never is in those spots where Matthews scores from.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 03:06 PM
SabresSharks

I expect Eichel to be the player we all know he can be. He isn't there, yet.

The right coach will help him get there.

SabresSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 03:16 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonite23 View Post
I haven't been watching all of the games. Dangerous question I guess, but has he really been bad? I watched the 1st period today, and I thought he looked good.
He had maybe two BAD games, and the rest were average. It's not that he played bad, as he was decent on the puck protection and finding guys with good hard passes. He was just as effective at zone entering as he was here. But, He also had his occasional weak passes that were intercepted. He also had his "coasting" for line changes and playing defense. It was a mixed bag of yay and doh!

I think the backlash is mostly, that Eichel is supposed to be the next face of USA Hockey and we expect him to be dominant in this kind of tournament. Instead we get the Eichel that didn't look anything close to dominating. Did he play bad for what we fans expect out of a talented player as he is, yeah. Did he play bad for a hockey player, no. But there were expectations, and this was his chance to really start cementing himself as a #1 center for the future of USA hockey. Without Matthews there, I don't think he did himself any favors.

He needs to find that switch to turn on the intensity, he needs to start getting in the dirty and crowded areas of the ice, and he needs to find that motivation to take over EVERY shift like I believe a lot of us fans believe he can do.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Dingo44
Team Aladyyn

Is there a way to hide threads? Asking for a friend...

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:11 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post
Is there a way to hide threads? Asking for a friend...
Yes, click the X box to the right of the thread title to ignore the thread.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:41 AM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post

He's already better.
Come back when he has beaten the PPG-mark several times. Turgeon's second season in the league was better than Eichel's. So how can Eichel be the better player?

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:46 AM
lancaster14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Yes, click the X box to the right of the thread title to ignore the thread.
Did not know this. Thx!

lancaster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:09 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
Come back when he has beaten the PPG-mark several times. Turgeon's second season in the league was better than Eichel's. So how can Eichel be the better player?
You're probably trolling but I'll take the bait anyway.

DIFFERENT ERAS. In 1988-89, Turgeon's 2nd season, he was tied for 18th in scoring (missed no games). Eichel last season tied for 12th in point/game pace.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Because points? Turgeon's second season came in the 80's. In '88-'89, Turgeon was tied for 31st place in PPG among players with at least 50 games played. Eichel was 11th this season. Comparing points directly between era's is without purpose. 50 players had at least exactly a PPG in '88-'89, with 72 having at least .90 PPG. It's a joke of a comparison.

Edit: NHL's stats were displaying double the entries at first.

Last edited by Paxon: 05-19-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:14 AM
lancaster14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
You're probably trolling but I'll take the bait anyway.

DIFFERENT ERAS. In 1988-89, Turgeon's 2nd season, he was tied for 18th in scoring (missed no games). Eichel last season tied for 12th in point/game pace.
It makes me sad to go back and look at player stats from that era, and wonder how does the NHL get back to a game that favors offense more than defense? In 88-89, 34 players hit the 80 point mark. This past season, 7 players hit that same mark.

lancaster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
sabresandcanucks

I think you can call out his lack of maturity/focus on the ice and still believe he is going to be one hell of a player. He is young, he is still learning how to be a professional. That should not take away from the fact he is already, and will continue to be, a star in this league.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 08:31 PM
BananaSquad

Ppg center, people need to relax haha

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Quote:
Wow.

I can't believe someone looked at stat lines from the late 80s and compared it to this season.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 03:37 PM
TheStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Ppg center, people need to relax haha
I also agree with this. Some very good critiquing, most of it just people being overly anxious about how Eichel is playing. Remember he's 20 and already pretty much a top 10 player in the league. I think that's great.

TheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Wow.

I can't believe someone looked at stat lines from the late 80s and compared it to this season.
Clearly Crosby isn't as good as Dennis Maruk. Maruk has more points in a single season.

05-21-2017, 05:15 PM
BiPolarBear

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:34 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Wow.

Points are points, goals are goals. You win games by scoring more goals than the opponent.

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Panthaz89

Quote:
Points are points, goals are goals. You win games by scoring more goals than the opponent.
and that was a lot easier and less impressive to get one back in that era....can you understand that at any point in this thread?

Panthaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Sabre the Win
O'Reilly to Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
That's not his twitter handle. Its @Jack_Eichel11

It's funny none the less.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
OK, so did Turgeon score more goals relative to his opponents than Eichel did? Your comment has no bearing on the issue of comparing points totals from the late 80's to today. It's the worst argument I've seen in a long time. Total lack of understanding.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 06:16 AM
SnuggaRUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
OK, so did Turgeon score more goals relative to his opponents than Eichel did? Your comment has no bearing on the issue of comparing points totals from the late 80's to today. It's the worst argument I've seen in a long time. Total lack of understanding.
By now the poster's intentions should be obvious to all.

SnuggaRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote