HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

HF's Team Board Mock Draft

View Poll Results: With the 8th OA pick in the 2017 draft, the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select...
RD - Cale Makar 97 85.84%
RD - Timothy Liljegren 12 10.62%
C/W - Martin Necas 0 0%
C - Michael Rasmussen 0 0%
C - Elias Pettersson 0 0%
C/W - Kristian Vesalainen 0 0%
C/W - Klim Kostin 0 0%
C - Nicholas Suzuki 1 0.88%
C/W - Lias Andersson 1 0.88%
W - Eeli Tolvanen 0 0%
LD - Juuso Valimaki 1 0.88%
C - Ryan Poehling 0 0%
RD - Callan Foote 0 0%
LD - Nicolas Hague 0 0%
C - Kole Lind 1 0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2017, 09:53 PM
BiPolarBear

vCash: 500
I have my heart set on Makar but Liljegren is going to be good so if we end up with him I'll be happy. If both are gone that means we'd have to choose between a highly ranked forward (Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass) and Valimaki. I'd take the forward in that case.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

If you're not a fan of the team, please don't vote. As we saw with the Arizona poll, one vote could be the deciding factor.

Morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
If you're not a fan of the team, please don't vote. As we saw with the Arizona poll, one vote could be the deciding factor.
That won't happen here

Push Dr Tracksuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
You draft Liljegren if you think that his gap control, poor defensive play, and bad decision making is a result of having mono and then coming back at the SHL level. If you're right, you get Doughty-lite. If you're wrong, you end up with Bogosian: all tangibles with poor hockey IQ.

You draft Makar if you think that he'll adjust to higher levels of competition as he grows older and eventually translate his hockey IQ and skills to the NHL. If you're right, you get Karlsson-lite. If you're wrong, you get an AHL defenseman.
Makar is a little more boom-or-bust, but we have Guhle, Borgen, Fitzgerald in the pipeline. We lack high end D prospects, so I'm OK with taking a risk on a guy who could be elite, not merely good.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:44 PM
HeartforReinheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Not to mention that Lehner is a legit starting quality goalie. I don't know what people think the odds are of getting a player who will reach that level with the pick they gave up...but I can tell you they are wrong.
I would say the odds are pretty good since some of the players available have already made an impact while Lehner was not necessary at the time.

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:50 PM
cybresabre
positivity

Who is the one person who's going to sell us on Kole Lind?

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:57 PM
Dingo44
Team Aladyyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Who is the one person who's going to sell us on Kole Lind?
Someone named "gra".

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:47 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
yeah but with our new GM we will no longer ger

Buffalo selects ... ....

it's back to the polite, thanks to blah blah and congratulations to blah blah

and with the 8th pick in the 2017 entry draft, the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select ....

This was where TM was fun! short simple to the point

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Sabre Dance
Blow Leafs Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Prishpreed View Post
Last year Murray got us 3 players from the top 30 of last years HF poll (Nylander, Asplumd, Pu).

For a guy who gets a lot of **** on here for trading a 1st for Lehner, I don't see him getting many accolades for what could end up several big draft steals.
There are reasons why I criticized Murray but never said he should be fired. That's one of them.

Sabre Dance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:26 AM
BiPolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Prishpreed View Post
Last year Murray got us 3 players from the top 30 of last years HF poll (Nylander, Asplumd, Pu).

For a guy who gets a lot of **** on here for trading a 1st for Lehner, I don't see him getting many accolades for what could end up several big draft steals.
If guys like Guhle, Asplund, Pu, Nylander, Borgen etc make their marks in the league Tim will get plenty of credit. I think he'll be back in the NHL as a GM one day though I really don't know what his reputation is as a personality to deal with.

There are 2 teams of 4 left in the Stanley Cup playoffs that he had a lot of influence on.

Old
05-17-2017, 11:34 AM
itwasaforwardpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
If guys like Guhle, Asplund, Pu, Nylander, Borgen etc make their marks in the league Tim will get plenty of credit. I think he'll be back in the NHL as a GM one day though I really don't know what his reputation is as a personality to deal with.

There are 2 teams of 4 left in the Stanley Cup playoffs that he had a lot of influence on.
I doubt Tim gets another GM job, at least not for quite a while. He should return to being a scout or assistant GM.

There are many facets to being the GM of an NHL team. Scouting amateur talent/drafting was basically the only one he was any good at.

itwasaforwardpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post
Someone named "gra".
Real name Kole Lind

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think the Makar floor is actually the best part of him as a prospect. Thinking the game at an elite level, from the back end, IS. NOT. COACHABLE.

So when you have a guy who already stands out in that area, you can work with him to adjust him to the various levels of play (NCAA and pro)...

Someone mentioned gap control in speaking on Liljegren. You can work with a guy on it, but most of it is confidence. And confidence can grow. But the guy who has already placed "gap control" as an entity into the back of his mind, as an afterthought because he has figured out how to best position himself to handle it, is the guy who projects better to me. It's that combo of self confidence in ones footwork and the ability to perceive what kind of threat is actually coming your way (big body slower feet, elite speed likely going to try and take me wide, etc.) that you won't have an easy time trying to instill in someone, though you may try hard to. Thinkers become better NHL defenseman than low IQ elite athletes in mostly all instances.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Toronto Blue Jays
r/caseymittelstadt

Liljegren or Makar here

Toronto Blue Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think the Makar floor is actually the best part of him as a prospect. Thinking the game at an elite level, from the back end, IS. NOT. COACHABLE.

So when you have a guy who already stands out in that area, you can work with him to adjust him to the various levels of play (NCAA and pro)...

Someone mentioned gap control in speaking on Liljegren. You can work with a guy on it, but most of it is confidence. And confidence can grow. But the guy who has already placed "gap control" as an entity into the back of his mind, as an afterthought because he has figured out how to best position himself to handle it, is the guy who projects better to me. It's that combo of self confidence in ones footwork and the ability to perceive what kind of threat is actually coming your way (big body slower feet, elite speed likely going to try and take me wide, etc.) that you won't have an easy time trying to instill in someone, though you may try hard to. Thinkers become better NHL defenseman than low IQ elite athletes in mostly all instances.
Agreed

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
There is a former player I think of every time I watch highlights of Makar and for those of you who know me, I hate direct player comparisons. It's damned funny because it pops into my head every single time.

05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There is a former player I think of every time I watch highlights of Makar and for those of you who know me, I hate direct player comparisons. It's damned funny because it pops into my head every single time.
we are waiting ......

BUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:13 PM
BiPolarBear

Hey what's the rule with Junior A draft choices as opposed to CHL - can guys drafted out of Junior A go to the AHL or are Junior A leagues covered under the same agreement with the NHL as CHL?

Old
05-17-2017, 11:17 PM
BiPolarBear

Oh man if we get Makar I will be almost excited about the July Development Camp as I was in 2015 to see Eichel in blue and gold.

Old
05-18-2017, 06:10 AM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
Hey what's the rule with Junior A draft choices as opposed to CHL - can guys drafted out of Junior A go to the AHL or are Junior A leagues covered under the same agreement with the NHL as CHL?
They can go to the AHL.

Exhibit A: Zemgus Girgensons signing and going to Rochester instead of going to play at UVM.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Butt Ox

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
we are waiting ......
If it's a former Sabre, and Chainy hates them as an individual, that's an easy one. Lulz, I can see a bit of Ozolinsh in there sometimes, myself.

If we're just going on undersized and great skating might be a little tougher. Was this guy the first American to win the Connie?

Butt Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Ox View Post
If it's a former Sabre, and Chainy hates them as an individual, that's an easy one. Lulz, I can see a bit of Ozolinsh in there sometimes, myself.

If we're just going on undersized and great skating might be a little tougher. Was this guy the first American to win the Connie?
Nope, was never a Sabre but he did play in NYS.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 09:34 AM
TheCerebral1
Zero F***s Given

I went with Timothy Liljegren. But either one is the right pick (or Makar) for Buffalo this season. They'll have other picks to add value to their forward group (see second round).

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Nope, was never a Sabre but he did play in NYS.
Brian Leetch?

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 01:04 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
They can go to the AHL.

Exhibit A: Zemgus Girgensons signing and going to Rochester instead of going to play at UVM.
I know I've seen at least speculation before that players out of the CJHL cannot necessarily jump straight to the AHL. Girgensons was playing in the USHL, not the AJHL which is affiliated with the CJHL.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote