HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Someone asked about the Rangers record with Orr in the lineup

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Someone asked about the Rangers record with Orr in the lineup

they Rangers are 5-2-2 with Orr in the line up.

2-1 when he takes any penalties.

He's had 2 fights and two minors.

Neither of the minors cost the Rangers a PP goal against.

Additionally, his +/- on the season is an even 0

So as bad as some of you paint him out to be, he's not all that bad and provided the same amount of ice time as Hossa, he'd probably have more than 3 goals and no assists in the last 21 games as well.

But who knows.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Caoimhín

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

So as bad as some of you paint him out to be, he's not all that bad and provided the same amount of ice time as Hossa, he'd probably have more than 3 goals and no assists in the last 21 games as well.

But who knows.
Thanks for the research!

Also the Rangers are 2-0 when Colton fights

Old
03-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I seriously doubt it

Old
03-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Well the Rangers win every game that betts gets an assist!!! These kind of stats are stupid.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:56 PM
johnny_rudeboy

But what is the point of having a player who only can contribute with fighting majors? I love a good fight and think teams who have good fighters are more fun to watch but they should have other skills as well. But if they are willing to learn other skills like Chris Neil for Ottawa to take one example or Hollweg they IMHO are great to have in the team. Are Orr able to learn anything else then fighting?

Old
03-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Large_Farva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy
But what is the point of having a player who only can contribute with fighting majors? I love a good fight and think teams who have good fighters are more fun to watch but they should have other skills as well. But if they are willing to learn other skills like Chris Neil for Ottawa to take one example or Hollweg they IMHO are great to have in the team. Are Orr able to learn anything else then fighting?
At this point Orr has the skills of a BCHLer. I doubt he'll ever develop NHL skills.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:59 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

dude,i totally agree with you,on all points..Orr can skate a bit,finish checks,and play hockey,as a 4th liner...he puts more fear into teams,than teams worry about Hossa scoring...im so sick of us getting pushed around,and beat on,with no deterent...i realize that is our team,and believe me,im happy we are winning,but its a bit of an empty winning feeling,when night after night we get bullied..i wish we had more pride in the sweater,and stuck up for ourselves more,but....oh yea,where was i before my rant? lol...

Old
03-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Large_Farva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf
dude,i totally agree with you,on all points..Orr can skate a bit,finish checks,and play hockey,as a 4th liner...he puts more fear into teams,than teams worry about Hossa scoring...im so sick of us getting pushed around,and beat on,with no deterent...i realize that is our team,and believe me,im happy we are winning,but its a bit of an empty winning feeling,when night after night we get bullied..i wish we had more pride in the sweater,and stuck up for ourselves more,but....oh yea,where was i before my rant? lol...
I've yet to see the Rangers get bullied night after night. Say what you think. Not what you want to think.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:05 PM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochiNorris
Well the Rangers win every game that betts gets an assist!!! These kind of stats are stupid.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
The Dawg*

ORR is a waste of space.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochiNorris
I've yet to see the Rangers get bullied night after night. Say what you think. Not what you want to think.
Moochi,you're right..not every night,but a good majority of them...thats how i see it,and thats my opinion.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Draft Guru

If Orr didn't have iron fists, he wouldn't even be in the NHL. That's the bottom line. And in a league where fighting has diminished, I'm sorry, but there's no room for him.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:28 PM
polako

not only orr....dale purinton could gives a better physical presence also, as could peter worrell...and martin grenier. call them all up!

Old
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
eco's bones

Checking the Hockey database. Orr has 2 AHL seasons under his belt totaling 126 games. He's scored twice in all. So I'm not expecting he's going to start scoring goals in the NHL. From his battle with Godard he can obviously fight and very well but he's not an NHL player apart from the fact that he's on an NHL roster. He hasn't proven to be much of an AHL player for that matter. Here we have just brought up Giroux--who a lot of us think might be borderline and this guy knocks in between 25 and 35 a year--who has some kind of a game. He's possibly going to languish in the minors forever--meanwhile Orr gets 3 to 4 minutes a game mostly just to hand out dirty looks without a game apart from beating the hell out of someone once in a while. If we're going to have a fighter he needs to be able to play. Bring on Dupont or Byers or Kozak when and if they're ready. Or give Weller a shot now.

Old
johnny_rudeboy

It is funny that some players who have more PIM´s then Ice time are seen as heroes. I love fighters who fights with passion for their team and drop the gloves when some one have done something worthy of a beating like a bad cross check or goalie interference but to only skate on to the ice with the only purpose to pick a fight with another player on the other team (of course ) who only also plays for one reason just seems like a waste of good roster space to me.

Dont get me wrong, I like hockey fights but that should be hockey players fighting, not fighters trying to play hockey in the best league in the world.

Old
BigE

Quote:

But who knows.
Probably...based on your statistically significant findings no doubt.

Again with these ridiculous stats, people. Orr isn't going to help us keep pucks out of the net, and THAT is our problem right now.

He was extremely useful against Philadelphia the other night...

Old
03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
It is funny that some players who have more PIM´s then Ice time are seen as heroes. I love fighters who fights with passion for their team and drop the gloves when some one have done something worthy of a beating like a bad cross check or goalie interference but to only skate on to the ice with the only purpose to pick a fight with another player on the other team (of course ) who only also plays for one reason just seems like a waste of good roster space to me.

Dont get me wrong, I like hockey fights but that should be hockey players fighting, not fighters trying to play hockey in the best league in the world.

Well Worrell was called up to the Pack, I hope he dont get signed and called up to the Rangers. Orr is a big improvment over Andres "Worrell" Lilja.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:53 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Lilja have never played for Rangers or have I missed something. And he is a good example of a hockey player with limited potential who still is a prett good hockey player and who also can fight. Even do I cant remember he is fighting much anyway. Barnaby is another good example of a figher who can do more then just fight.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Why not post the Rangers record with Orr out of the lineup and Hossa in the lineup if we really want to be fair about this.

Hossa can do things that Orr can't like....

Skate
Pass
Shoot
Kill penalties
not look out of place on any line.

Yes Hossa should be scoring more but he is doing everything else right. The development of Hossa as a winger and as a pk guy made Neimo expendable. (in my opinion)

Colton Orr should be sent to Hartford on a conditioning assignment because he needs to develop his GAME. I think he has a future on the Rangers but it isn't right now. If the Rangers want to add a tough two way forward to the lineup than they should call up Weller.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:03 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Last season Hossa played for Mora in the SEL and was considered to be one of the best players in the league and we had some really good lock out players around last year. He did almost on his own keep Mora up in the SEL as new comers. Was very impressed with him and his work morale. Not as skilled as his brother but still a very good player.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
bubba5

Maybe we should sign him to a long term contract at 4 mil per year since he has such a great record!!! This is stupid, the guy averages 6 minutes a game and if the game is close forget about it. Some stats are just stupid.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Why not post the Rangers record with Orr out of the lineup and Hossa in the lineup if we really want to be fair about this.

Hossa can do things that Orr can't like....

Skate
Pass
Shoot
Kill penalties
not look out of place on any line.

Yes Hossa should be scoring more but he is doing everything else right. The development of Hossa as a winger and as a pk guy made Neimo expendable. (in my opinion)

Colton Orr should be sent to Hartford on a conditioning assignment because he needs to develop his GAME. I think he has a future on the Rangers but it isn't right now. If the Rangers want to add a tough two way forward to the lineup than they should call up Weller.
Yes, Hossa can do all of those things but how many shifts a game does he do it?? Once, maybe twice. I've seen Hossa make a move and when a 220 lb. defenseman bounces off of him I think he's the next Jagr. And then the next shift...nothing. And the next...nothing.

By your account we should have picked up Alexander Daigle because he can do all of those things too.

Orr isn't the greatest player in the world but he plays hard shift after shift. I just hope his work ethic (along with a few other Rangers) rubs off on Hossa. But I'm not counting on it.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:55 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf
Moochi,you're right..not every night,but a good majority of them...thats how i see it,and thats my opinion.
We don't get bullied in a good majority of games either. Nor a slight majority. We have been bullied in a handful of games and one of those was the romping of the Flyers.

Orr has been probably the most talked about player this season. On a winning team this is simply ridiculous. No one should be talking about a fill in that can only dream of being a permanent fixture on the 4th line. For some here, a successful night would be 3 fights in the game with the win being irrelevant. If that statement wasn't true this thread would not be up. Why can't we talk more about Jagr dismantling Ranger records or him potentially winning the Ross? Prucha? Lundqvist's potential to be the best goalie in team history? Ahh, but Orr playing 4 minutes tonight. Now that deserves another thread.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
BigE

Quote:
Last season Hossa played for Mora in the SEL and was considered to be one of the best players in the league and we had some really good lock out players around last year. He did almost on his own keep Mora up in the SEL as new comers. Was very impressed with him and his work morale. Not as skilled as his brother but still a very good player.
See that's interesting because I'd heard rumblings from other Swedish fans saying something similar.

He looks, skates, and holds his stick just like his brother - naturally people are going to want to make comparisons and have the same expectations.

Don't mistake my avatar for fanboy-ism, it's more a tongue-in-cheek shot at our hotly contested Hossa debates of November-December.

With that said, I see room for improvement and I like the effort. What I don't like is how he's failed to capitalize on some of these chances. He needs one really nice goal to help him here; something to go really right for him.

Old
03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Yes, Hossa can do all of those things but how many shifts a game does he do it?? Once, maybe twice. I've seen Hossa make a move and when a 220 lb. defenseman bounces off of him I think he's the next Jagr. And then the next shift...nothing. And the next...nothing.

By your account we should have picked up Alexander Daigle because he can do all of those things too.

Orr isn't the greatest player in the world but he plays hard shift after shift. I just hope his work ethic (along with a few other Rangers) rubs off on Hossa. But I'm not counting on it.
You clearly haven't been watching Hossa post-November.

The entire problem that people have with Hossa, on this board, is that he's working hard, and he's exerting himself, but still not getting anywhere. There is a debate still lingering as to whether a non-producing (purely points, because it's not like he's not creating anything) "scoring forward" as some have labeled him, belongs in the lineup. The effort issue has been largely thrown aside, especially when after games like Carolina a few weeks ago.

Closed Thread