Notices

Jets Goaltending General Discussion Vol. 2

Old
05-16-2017, 08:05 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Jets Goaltending General Discussion Vol. 2

A mod can edit in some last-minute posts.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:08 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post

A mod can edit in some last-minute posts.
We should bring in baby Groot to compete for one of the goaltending spots :p

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

The idea that hellebuyck is a gamble is overblown. If you'd picked up pekke rinne in off season prior to 15-16 you'd think it was a pretty solid bet no? Oh oops, that's his worst season ever, worst then hellebuycks last.

That's the point. Hellebuyck is a gamble because of his body of work and how small it is.bwe don't know which stretch of Forty games is going to reflect the most accurately on his future performance.

To be clear, I DO want to bring in a "real" starter, but preferably someone short term and with continued upside. I'd also want it to be clear to them that if hellys hot to start the season /playing well, you WILL be the backup.

Maybe hellys down season will reflect his future performance. Maybe we will look back in ten years and say "funny hellebuyck struggled in his second year just like price and he's been elite ever since".

The point is, it doesn't really tell you anything more about the future, just what happened. And what happened to him isn't uncommon even for legit "safe" starting goal tender.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Halberdier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
The idea that hellebuyck is a gamble is overblown. If you'd picked up pekke rinne in off season prior to 15-16 you'd think it was a pretty solid bet no? Oh oops, that's his worst season ever, worst then hellebuycks last.
It's Pekka Rinne (not Pekke), and if you mean that his stats were worse on 15-16 than Hellebuyck's last season, that's not even true. Rinne's GAA was much better (2.48 vs 2.89) and his SVS% was slightly better (.908 vs .907). He also played 10 more games and did lead his team into the playoffs and had 14 games even there, though with almost as bad raw stats as Hellebuyck last year. Rinne also had some injuries 2015, and being an older guy, no doubt that they might have affected his play somewhat.

Let's just hope that Hellebuyck plays his best season, but sure it's gambling to not have a TOP-16 goalie in the league and still hoping for making it into the playoffs. Also even if Hellebuyck did play great season 2017-2018, you really need a decent backup for him.

Halberdier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Jetsfan4life

vCash: 450
It's good hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions on here along with mine but I seriously doubt we go into next year without another goalie.I really feel that this might be one of the top things on the to do list this offseason.

Jetsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

That's the point. Hellebuyck is a gamble because of his body of work and how small it is.bwe don't know which stretch of Forty games is going to reflect the most accurately on his future performance.

To be clear, I DO want to bring in a "real" starter, but preferably someone short term and with continued upside. I'd also want it to be clear to them that if hellys hot to start the season /playing well, you WILL be the backup.

Maybe hellys down season will reflect his future performance. Maybe we will look back in ten years and say "funny hellebuyck struggled in his second year just like price and he's been elite ever since".

The point is, it doesn't really tell you anything more about the future, just what happened. And what happened to him isn't uncommon even for legit "safe" starting goal tender.
That's wishful thinking. The closest you would get might be Elliott. He doesn't meet the continued upside requirement. He might not be a real starter anymore. Was last year just a bad season, or was it the beginning of the age decline?

It appears there is a very strong consensus here that Bucky is still our man. They want something short term to prop him up until he is ready to stand on his own. If we accept that it looks like it has to be Elliott or a career backup to upgrade on Hutch. Johnson is probably the best fit there.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:33 AM
trebendan

For the 18-19 season, Comrie would have to clear waivers to go to the Moose, as would Hellebuyck, of course. I think the Jets' plan is to have Comrie with the Moose for 17-18, then be with the Jets for 18-19, along with Hellebuyck. It seems like Halak is best for this plan, as he's a UFA after the 17-18 season. I'm not necessarily agreeing with the plan, but I think that's what it is. I don't mind this plan, if that's what it is, but a lot can happen in a year, too.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
For the 18-19 season, Comrie would have to clear waivers to go to the Moose, as would Hellebuyck, of course. I think the Jets' plan is to have Comrie with the Moose for 17-18, then be with the Jets for 18-19, along with Hellebuyck. It seems like Halak is best for this plan, as he's a UFA after the 17-18 season. I'm not necessarily agreeing with the plan, but I think that's what it is. I don't mind this plan, if that's what it is, but a lot can happen in a year, too.
An interesting point about Comrie. It would then make sense to try and secure someone under a 1-year contract.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:42 AM
surixon

Quote:
Doesn't Comrie have two more seasons before he requires waivers?

Old
05-16-2017, 09:48 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

In the previous thread, Surixon posted, "You could also tell Helle was not at all happy with his play last season and plans on going into the off-season with something to prove".

I didn't get that impression. He came across to me as someone who was happy with his play and wasn't happy that his play was being questioned by the media, or that he was getting pulled from games and set down for a spell for some remedial coaching. And there was that article where he basically said, don't mess with my glove hand positioning. I'm not convinced he is receptive of either coaching or mentoring from a veteran.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:49 AM
mondo3

vCash: 50
Have to admit that I kind of hope that some other team snags Elliott before we do, as I'd really like us to go for a goalie with strong #1 potential

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:53 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
In the previous thread, Surixon posted, "You could also tell Helle was not at all happy with his play last season and plans on going into the off-season with something to prove".

I didn't get that impression. He came across to me as someone who was happy with his play and wasn't happy that his play was being questioned by the media, or that he was getting pulled from games and set down for a spell for some remedial coaching. And there was that article where he basically said, don't mess with my glove hand positioning. I'm not convinced he is receptive of either coaching or mentoring from a veteran.
Interesting. I'm talking about his end of year press conference where he said you'd see a different goalie next season.

He did come across as testy during the year though.

Old
05-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

http://www.tsn.ca/report-jets-plan-t...buyck-1.752946

Quote:
Restricted free agent Michael Hutchinson will be exposed in the expansion draft
Quote:
Wiebe reports the Jets still believe in Hellebuyck as their long-term goaltender and therefore the team is unlikely bring in any goaltender long-term, since he and prospect Eric Comrie will be waiver eligible in 2018-19.
It's downright pathetic that people that are literally paid to write about the Jets have so little concept of how things actually are. Back in reality Michael Hutchinson is signed for next season and Comrie is not waiver eligible until 19-20. I mean really, it takes 2 minutes to fact check things like this.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:56 AM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

vCash: 69
^ I had to log in just to comment about that post on TSN. They really had to make an article just to say "the Jets will protect Connor Hellebuyck?" NO. ****ING. ****. WHO THE **** thought we would be exposing him? What a garbage reason for an article Whoever decided that needed to be made is a clown.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Interesting. I'm talking about his end of year press conference where he said you'd see a different goalie next season.

He did come across as testy during the year though.
On that he is correct. We'll see Elliott, or Mason, or...

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
An interesting point about Comrie. It would then make sense to try and secure someone under a 1-year contract.
Quote:
Surixon is right. Comrie is not waiver eligible until 19-20.

Not that it really matters right now, unless Comrie takes a big step forward waivers are irrelevant for him anyways.

Old
05-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
Except that Comrie isn't showing signs of becoming an NHL goalie to date. He is not some gold-plated prospect who is dominating the minor leagues.

I think the plan right now for Comrie is to hope he develops sometime. I doubt he is being penciled in to the NHL lineup in any capacity on any timeline until he plays better.

Old
05-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
According to CapFriendly he is "Waivers eligible beginning the 2019-20 season". Next year will be the end of his ELC though.

Old
05-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Jets1975

Who cares what this team does with the goaltending, will be a win/win in the end next season. Jets pick up a goalie who plays decent, gets them into the playoffs and possibly beyond, win for the fans. Other side, Jets cheap out or wait too long to pickup a goalie, same issue in goal and miss the playoffs, PoMo and Chevy fired and replaced with competent coach/GM, win for the fans. Can't lose.

Jets1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
trebendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
According to CapFriendly he is "Waivers eligible beginning the 2019-20 season". Next year will be the end of his ELC though.
Ooops - I stand corrected. Good thing I'm not getting paid to write about this stuff

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Comrie could become waiver eligible earlier if he somehow dresses in 79 more NHL games. Unlikely to happen next season?

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:49 AM
kcin94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Comrie could become waiver eligible earlier if he somehow dresses in 79 more NHL games. Unlikely to happen next season?
If he does, then he is clearly our starter/backup and waivers are not a problem the following year.

Or one of our goalies has a year ending injury in the first week.

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
The wording in CBA is "games played". For all other purposes where this is used a goalie who dresses but does not play is not given a game played. So I am 99% sure that this means Comrie would need to play in 79 more games next year (regular season and playoffs). That would mean being the unquestioned starter from day one and playing all games in a decent playoff run. Basically as close to zero chance as possible.

Old
05-16-2017, 11:57 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
We should bring in baby Groot to compete for one of the goaltending spots :p
There's a scene in the new movie would be excellent for Photoshop, where you could put a small mask and goalie equipment on Baby Groot. If I had Photoshop and the talent to do it, I would.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halberdier View Post
It's Pekka Rinne (not Pekke), and if you mean that his stats were worse on 15-16 than Hellebuyck's last season, that's not even true. Rinne's GAA was much better (2.48 vs 2.89) and his SVS% was slightly better (.908 vs .907). He also played 10 more games and did lead his team into the playoffs and had 14 games even there, though with almost as bad raw stats as Hellebuyck last year. Rinne also had some injuries 2015, and being an older guy, no doubt that they might have affected his play somewhat.

Let's just hope that Hellebuyck plays his best season, but sure it's gambling to not have a TOP-16 goalie in the league and still hoping for making it into the playoffs. Also even if Hellebuyck did play great season 2017-2018, you really need a decent backup for him.
My bad I apparently misread his 9.08 as a 9.05.

Also, sv% is literally the only one that matters. (And of course a certain number of games played)

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote