Jets Goaltending General Discussion Vol. 2

Old
05-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
That's wishful thinking. The closest you would get might be Elliott. He doesn't meet the continued upside requirement. He might not be a real starter anymore. Was last year just a bad season, or was it the beginning of the age decline?

It appears there is a very strong consensus here that Bucky is still our man. They want something short term to prop him up until he is ready to stand on his own. If we accept that it looks like it has to be Elliott or a career backup to upgrade on Hutch. Johnson is probably the best fit there.
Mason would fit the bill. Elliot would be close (though he's had almost as many bad seasons as good ones) or, again, I'd be fine with another hellebuyck type guy, a guy whosbyiungish and had 1 or 2 solid seasons as a backup to an vet and rocking s 9.15+

Grind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:25 PM
cbcwpg

We are going to burn thru a lot of posts and threads by the time September roles around and we still haven't done anything to improve the goaltending.

At least it's interesting discussions.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:40 PM
FinnHockeyFan

http://www.leijonat.com/2017/05/16/h...in-maalilleen/

How about Antti Raanta?.
Can't see him Ny Rangers starting goalie so long when king Henrik Lundqvist is there.
Raanta has 1st goalie potential and he might be that what Jets goaltending needs.

FinnHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:43 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
If he doesn't get traded before the expansion draft, I'd like to see Chevy try and arrange a trade with either New York or Las Vegas for him.

CorgisPer60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:48 PM
civic204

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
If he doesn't get traded before the expansion draft, I'd like to see Chevy try and arrange a trade with either New York or Las Vegas for him.
I'd like to see what he can do. UFA after next year though, but those are some of the risks our organization needs to make. Pay him if he has a great season, and let Helle stay in the organization if he proves to be a 1b.

civic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:51 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHockeyFan View Post
http://www.leijonat.com/2017/05/16/h...in-maalilleen/

How about Antti Raanta?.
Can't see him Ny Rangers starting goalie so long when king Henrik Lundqvist is there.
Raanta has 1st goalie potential and he might be that what Jets goaltending needs.
I'd love to have Raanta here but I honestly can't see Vegas not taking him in the expansion draft and not retaining him after they do. Sure, I'd like to see the Jets get him from Vegas after the draft but everytime I think of that I ask myself "if I was Vegas, would I part with arguably the best goaltender available to my team via the XD?" The answer invariably is no. Unless Vegas goes out and opts to sign Fleury as a UFA then I think Raanta is their starter, likely with Grubauer as their backup. Goalies don't have all that much trade value either. But Vegas' GM won't be a fool, he'll know of the needs of the Jets and will price his tenders accordingly.

I suspect Chevy's best option will be to get on his horse once the XD is over and sign someone fairly quickly at that point, or make a move at the draft. I expect he'll dawdle a bit and pick someone up during UFA times that we'll all gripe about for a couple of years. I fear he'll re-sign Pavelec in August. ( I hope)

buggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:55 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
I'd love to have Raanta here but I honestly can't see Vegas not taking him in the expansion draft and not retaining him after they do. Sure, I'd like to see the Jets get him from Vegas after the draft but everytime I think of that I ask myself "if I was Vegas, would I part with arguably the best goaltender available to my team via the XD?" The answer invariably is no. Unless Vegas goes out and opts to sign Fleury as a UFA then I think Raanta is their starter, likely with Grubauer as their backup. Goalies don't have all that much trade value either. But Vegas' GM won't be a fool, he'll know of the needs of the Jets and will price his tenders accordingly.

I suspect Chevy's best option will be to get on his horse once the XD is over and sign someone fairly quickly at that point, or make a move at the draft. I expect he'll dawdle a bit and pick someone up during UFA times that we'll all gripe about for a couple of years. I fear he'll re-sign Pavelec in August. ( I hope)
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at. I would like to have him but figure Vegas will elect to keep him.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:56 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic204 View Post
I'd like to see what he can do. UFA after next year though, but those are some of the risks our organization needs to make. Pay him if he has a great season, and let Helle stay in the organization if he proves to be a 1b.
He's UFA after next year, but oh well. If he proves himself capable starter, pay him his money. If not, then he walks after next season.

CorgisPer60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:53 PM
DRW204

don't know if you guys saw this regarding Vegas' potential thoughts on goalies:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/v...e-free-agents/

Not sure who they would be thinking of and who the Jets would cross off the list

Steve Mason's thoughts on a goaltending platoon
http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...art/100348988/

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:58 PM
FinnHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post

How about Antti Niemi or Kari Lehtonen if Raanta goes to Vegas.
Yes Niemi and Lehtonen didn't impress in Dallas but Dallas's total disaster defence was as bad as those two Finnish goalies.

Only problem to get Niemi and Lehtonen is their cap-hit ( 4,5 million to Niemi and 5,9 million to Lehtonen).
The fact is that Dallas wants get rid either of Niemi and Lehtonen so soon as possible.

But does Jets have cap space to Niemi's and Lehtonen's salaries.

Old
05-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
To say the least Mason thinks he is more important in the NHL than he is...

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Chewmasey

Quote:
Yes Niemi and Lehtonen didn't impress in Dallas but Dallas's total disaster defence was as bad as those two Finnish goalies.

Only problem to get Niemi and Lehtonen is their cap-hit ( 4,5 million to Niemi and 5,9 million to Lehtonen).
The fact is that Dallas wants get rid either of Niemi and Lehtonen so soon as possible.

Why? One will be bought out. Negotiate a contract after either gets bought out.
I wouldn't want either of those guys.

Chewmasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:

Niemi is not even NHL calibre. I would be surprised to see him end up anywhere in the NHL after he is inevitably bought out.

Lehtonen can still play and will be staying in Dallas for his final year presumably, unless Nill has something up his sleeve for a backup or he ends up in Vegas which is doubtful unless they need him to reach the cap floor.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:05 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
To say the least Mason thinks he is more important in the NHL than he is...
Yup. That interview is kind of why he isn't near the top of my wishlist

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:37 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

I have a feeling Niemi will be a Jet if he's bought out by Dallas. Chevy has familiarity from his Chicago days.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:10 PM
DRW204

I thought it would be impossible trying to find a goalie with worse stats compared to Hutch over the last 2 seasons. However, amazingly Niemi might be one of them!

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 05:23 PM
10Ducky10

I still like Halak for a year.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 06:14 PM
GoJetsGo55

vCash: 109
"Report: Jets plan to protect G Hellebuyck"

File that hard hitting piece under "DUH!"

GoJetsGo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Mason would fit the bill. Elliot would be close (though he's had almost as many bad seasons as good ones) or, again, I'd be fine with another hellebuyck type guy, a guy whosbyiungish and had 1 or 2 solid seasons as a backup to an vet and rocking s 9.15+
I'm interested in Grubauer. Very good so far. Only 25. But not that many games. Might fade as a starter. A bit risky but I like the bet.

Bernier is a good age and has had only 1 sub-par season. Not getting much love around here.

Elliott could be seen as lower risk because he will come for less money and less term. That's because he doesn't have as good a resume. I see that as making him the higher risk because he is less likely to solve our goal problem. Two different kinds of risk.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:07 PM
FinnHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
Niemi is not even NHL calibre. I would be surprised to see him end up anywhere in the NHL after he is inevitably bought out.

Lehtonen can still play and will be staying in Dallas for his final year presumably, unless Nill has something up his sleeve for a backup or he ends up in Vegas which is doubtful unless they need him to reach the cap floor.
What do you think of Joonas Korpisalo.
He's still young goalie and his prime years are ahead.

Korpisalo has been Bobrovski's back-up in Columbus but it's hard to see him being starting goalie so long when Bobrovski is healthy.
If i'm not mistaken Korpisalo's contract with Columbus expires after this season.

And if he won't go to Vegas ( CBJ needs to protect Bobrovski) how about asking what Jarmo Kekalainen wants of Korpisalo.
But if Korpisalo isn't option then Jets could ask what Kekalainen wants of Anton Forsberg he's competing Columbus's back-up's spot with Korpisalo.

Old
05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Either of those would be dandy imo

Old
05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
10Ducky10

We need a goalie that has played more than 45 games in the NHL.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I'm interested in Grubauer. Very good so far. Only 25. But not that many games. Might fade as a starter. A bit risky but I like the bet.

Bernier is a good age and has had only 1 sub-par season. Not getting much love around here.

Elliott could be seen as lower risk because he will come for less money and less term. That's because he doesn't have as good a resume. I see that as making him the higher risk because he is less likely to solve our goal problem. Two different kinds of risk.
Grubauer is interesting but a likely pick of Vegas so probably kot available. I wouldn't want to touch Bernier with a ten foot pole. Elliot could be the guy to get us into the playoffs but his track record in the playoffs is rough.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
What do you think of Joonas Korpisalo.
He's still young goalie and his prime years are ahead.

Korpisalo has been Bobrovski's back-up in Columbus but it's hard to see him being starting goalie so long when Bobrovski is healthy.
If i'm not mistaken Korpisalo's contract with Columbus expires after this season.

And if he won't go to Vegas ( CBJ needs to protect Bobrovski) how about asking what Jarmo Kekalainen wants of Korpisalo.
But if Korpisalo isn't option then Jets could ask what Kekalainen wants of Anton Forsberg he's competing Columbus's back-up's spot with Korpisalo.
I honestly have not seen enough of him to really comment.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Grubauer is interesting but a likely pick of Vegas so probably kot available. I wouldn't want to touch Bernier with a ten foot pole. Elliot could be the guy to get us into the playoffs but his track record in the playoffs is rough.
What's your knock on Bernie? His stats as an aggregate are very serviceable.

He's at a good age and has a weak enough resume that he wouldn't cost a fortune.

Short of snagging 9.18-9.20 type guy out of luck or high payment, I don't see why he'd be considered so different from a grauber or Mason type?