Jets Goaltending General Discussion Vol. 2

Old
05-20-2017, 07:54 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
McKenzie speculating on TV that the Penguins may choose to trade Murray rether than Fleury as had been previously speculated. They would get more for Murray (his words not mine)
Well, he would fit the barometer of being young, as LV is reported to be more interested in. I would be very interested in that if that were the case. >_>

CorgisPer60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I just don't think he's a starter from what I've seen. He's a solid backup but if we want an actual starter he's not the guy. I watched him with Anaheim a few times this year and he just didn't look good.
OK. It seems you aren't the only one.

But Looking at his time in Toronto it seems that everyone remembers his '16 season, 38 games, .908 and ignores the 2 preceding seasons.

'14 - 55 gms - .922
'15 - 58 gms - .912
Those are starter workloads and it isn't like the Leafs played great D in front of him either. I always thought the Leafs handled their goalies badly in '16.
Then this year he has played 38 games, not exactly a backup workload and bounced back to .915.

All goalies will let in some softies. All in all Bernier seems to get the job done.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 10:11 AM
lanky

vCash: 500
I haven't watched the World Championships. Did Bucky get any starts and if so, how did he do?

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 10:50 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I haven't watched the World Championships. Did Bucky get any starts and if so, how did he do?
He got two starts, finish with a sub .900 save percentage, and they went with Jimmy Howard the rest of the way.

Old
05-20-2017, 10:57 AM
lanky

Bleh. Well at least he KNOWS he has to be better next season. I hope his perspective is positive over the summer.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:04 AM
LoveNHL

Jets need a solid first golie. I wouldnt mind halvung Säteri as a backup option.

LoveNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
McKenzie speculating on TV that the Penguins may choose to trade Murray rether than Fleury as had been previously speculated. They would get more for Murray (his words not mine)
Given how quickly they tried to get back to Murray, I think this is very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Now obtaining Murray would be worth risking Helly in the XD. Wonder what the asking price would be. Just might be worth it.
Murray would cost a fortune and I'm not sure he's going to be a better goalie than Hellebuyck over the coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
Agree with this- losing Helly is no big deal-"he's terrible"- to slow with lateral movement, and has a slow glove hand. He's been probably pulled from more games than any other goalie. I can't see how anyone would want him. Hutch is actually physically more talented, but mentally he falls apart as easily as Helly.

If we could get Murray ( doubt it) -then grab him, and don't worry about Helly-he has not proven himself.
I think almost all of this is wrong, right down to the bizarre punctuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
He is a horrible goaltending coach. Hellebuyck could have been a star with the Jets, but had to endure Flaherty, just like Hutch and Pavelec. He is horrible. Why can't Chevy fire him? Since it's Friday night and I have no life, I will be the one to spot the Elephant in the room. Flaherty needs to go NOW.
You don't know what Flaherty does, let alone how good he is at it.

Everyone seems to think Hellebuyck's glove is his main weakness and Flaherty identified and adjusted it this year, despite the risks associated with in-season adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I just don't think he's a starter from what I've seen. He's a solid backup but if we want an actual starter he's not the guy. I watched him with Anaheim a few times this year and he just didn't look good.
I want to see the Jets acquire a vet who has been a starter in the past, and one of the top criteria in my mind is the mental fortitude to just take the net for a period if both goalies are struggling.

Given how things ended in Toronto, I'm not sure Bernier is that guy.

Or my impression is possibly being clouded by the ridiculous Toronto media's invented narratives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post
Agreed. If you are never willing to take risks you'll get nowhere.

Raanta's looking like the next Talbot to me.
Maybe.

But what did Raanta do in Chicago? What do they have against him?

Quote:
Bleh.
A two game save percentage sample has next to zero predictive meaning.

Evil Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:02 PM
puck stoppa

Just watching the Worlds, I wonder if the Jets go after Pickard after the expansion draft. Im not sure what it would take but maybe swapping of picks? Giving the Avs our 2nd and getting some other picks swapped. It is a weaker draft after round one so I think this would be worth it. Pickard isn't my first choice but I think the Jets will look at him and he could be a tandem with Helly next season.

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Just watching the Worlds, I wonder if the Jets go after Pickard after the expansion draft. Im not sure what it would take but maybe swapping of picks? Giving the Avs our 2nd and getting some other picks swapped. It is a weaker draft after round one so I think this would be worth it. Pickard isn't my first choice but I think the Jets will look at him and he could be a tandem with Helly next season.
Colorado is likely losing either Pickard or Varlamov. They really have zero other talent that Vegas might want. So I don't think they will deal the other one after that. Honestly I wouldn't mind getting Varlamov after the expansion draft. He's a pretty consistently good goalie for the most part, last year in Colorado should basically not count for anyone.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Colorado is likely losing either Pickard or Varlamov. They really have zero other talent that Vegas might want. So I don't think they will deal the other one after that. Honestly I wouldn't mind getting Varlamov after the expansion draft. He's a pretty consistently good goalie for the most part, last year in Colorado should basically not count for anyone.
I would, but only for the piece of **** factor.

Evil Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:07 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Then grab him from Vegas.

Old
05-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Then grab him from Vegas.
Grab who from Vegas? Because I'd be surprised if it was anyone but Varlamov available from Vegas. I like Varlamov but what's the price? I'd certainly be ok with some mid round picks exchanged for him. As mentioned above Varlamov has some character concerns but hopefully Chevy does better research than he did with Setoguchi (which I talked about at acquisition was a bad call due my very limited inside knowledge). Like I said knowing only the media reports (hes been cleared) I wouldn't mind Varlamov as a Hellebuyck challenger.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 06:46 AM
kunekune

Trusting Helle to become #1 goalie is self-deception.

I mean it still could happen but it's not very likely. Not very likely at all

kunekune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 07:47 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Grab who from Vegas? Because I'd be surprised if it was anyone but Varlamov available from Vegas. I like Varlamov but what's the price? I'd certainly be ok with some mid round picks exchanged for him. As mentioned above Varlamov has some character concerns but hopefully Chevy does better research than he did with Setoguchi (which I talked about at acquisition was a bad call due my very limited inside knowledge). Like I said knowing only the media reports (hes been cleared) I wouldn't mind Varlamov as a Hellebuyck challenger.
Pickard. I don't see Vegas taking varalamov. Colorado really gonna protect Pickard instead?

Old
05-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
He is a horrible goaltending coach. Hellebuyck could have been a star with the Jets, but had to endure Flaherty, just like Hutch and Pavelec. He is horrible. Why can't Chevy fire him? Since it's Friday night and I have no life, I will be the one to spot the Elephant in the room. Flaherty needs to go NOW.
Oh, so Flaherty is holding Hellebuyck back from being a star?

Can you explain to me what Flaherty is specifically doing to wreck our goalies?

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 08:15 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post

Answer me this: What is the most consistent thing about our goaltending for the past 6 years?

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2017/...llebuyck-price

Old
05-22-2017, 08:36 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
Answer me this: What is the most consistent thing about our goaltending for the past 6 years?

The most consistent thing is that our goaltending has been below average.

I'm pretty sure most people blame Chevy for signing Pavelec. Are we now saying the narative has changed so that it was actually a great signing but Flaherty wrecked him?

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 09:05 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:

He is telling him to hold his glove low and let out rebounds.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:05 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
The most consistent thing is that our goaltending has been below average.

I'm pretty sure most people blame Chevy for signing Pavelec. Are we now saying the narative has changed so that it was actually a great signing but Flaherty wrecked him?
Quit with the strawman arguments. Chevy signing Pavelec to a poor contract and Flaherty being bad are not mutually exclusive. Pavelec is a garbage goaltender, and he barely played in the NHL last year. Hellebuyck and Hutchinson had a poor year all around. There is only one constant there.

Old
05-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Bleh. Well at least he KNOWS he has to be better next season. I hope his perspective is positive over the summer.
Helly was 0.938, and set a 70 year old record for the USA in 2015.

Then he met Wade Flaherty, and the rest is history. There is zero chance of an improvement unless the Jets get a better goaltending coach.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
ffh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Helly was 0.938, and set a 70 year old record for the USA in 2015.

Then he met Wade Flaherty, and the rest is history. There is zero chance of an improvement unless the Jets get a better goaltending coach.
No. Then he met the nhl you mean

ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:17 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
No. Then he met the nhl you mean
Damn, beat me to it by minutes.

Yes, the quality of NHL shooters may be a contributing factor in his decline.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Damn, beat me to it by minutes.

Yes, the quality of NHL shooters may be a contributing factor in his decline.
That must explain why Hellebuyck started his NHL career with a 0.940% after a month, and was actually #1 in save percentage for a short period of time. But appearantly I'm wrong and Hellebuyck has always been terrible. It has nothing to do with Flaherty, that Helle is now mediocre, and played sub-par at the World Championships, after being named by the media the best goalie of the tournament two years ago. It must be my imagination.

It's all Hellebuyck's fault. Let's extend Flaherty's contract by 10 years. He's such an amazing goalie coach. It's just a huge coincidence that all his students play deteriorates significantly after a few months with Wade.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post

Thanks for the link.
I posted a few times before that it appears the Hutch and Helle played better at other levels and then initially here as well.
This article lines up with my perception as well.
Not sure why anyone gets defensive when it's suggested that Flaherty could in fact be the problem with our goalies.
It's certainly an easy fix to find out.
Hopefully TNSE isn't totally blind to this....,

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:32 AM
cbcwpg

Is there proof that Flaherty has made our goalies worse? They all seem to struggle with him as the coach, but that's not proof.

Is there proof that Flaherty has made the goalies better? Well, given the results I would say no, but again.. is that proof?

What I will say is that goaltender coaches are a dime-a-dozen, and there is no reason what so ever to keep Flaherty and not try someone else. What's the harm? It's not like it will get any worse. The Jets could have no goalie coach and I can't imagine it being any worse.

If keeping Flaherty is just some loyalty thing to keep employees happy and content, then that points me to TNSE not really wanting to win.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote