HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Marc Bergevin - Who Needs Skill When You Can Throw the Puck in Your Own Net Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Mr Jackpot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You underrate the importance of Markov and the huge hole he will leave and Sergachev is nowhere near ready to fill that hole and it's not a sure thing that he will be able to adequately replace the general.

Radulov hasn't re-signed yet.

And there's still this huge hole at center.

And there's still the question of underperforming veterans in the playoffs, mainly Casperretty who scores most of his goals against bottom feeders.

Oh and Price hasn't signed his extention yet.
Markov has nothing to do with the "window" discussion because the Habs were never in a window of opportunity to begin with. You even said yourself it in the bolded parts, we didn't the centers to be a contender and 2nd we had underpeforming veterans.

So there was no window in the last years and there's still no window today, people need to stop talking about window's, there's no windows.

Old
05-16-2017, 03:30 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

Quote:
You underrate the importance of Markov and the huge hole he will leave and Sergachev is nowhere near ready to fill that hole and it's not a sure thing that he will be able to adequately replace the general.

Radulov hasn't re-signed yet.

And there's still this huge hole at center.

And there's still the question of underperforming veterans in the playoffs, mainly Casperretty who scores most of his goals against bottom feeders.

Oh and Price hasn't signed his extention yet.
Damn, this is quite depressing to read, especially since everything is true...

Bergevin might fix all that this summer. In fact, I think he has to if he wants to keep his job, but that's exactly what's scary, we don't have a lot of quality depth, prospect wise, not a lot of valuable assets to trade, and our 'core' is still not enough to think we only need to add 1 or 2 pieces.

Now, the worse of what you said could also happen.

If he can't replace Markov soon (and I'm not even sure Sergachev will be able, Markov is a special player, most fans will have a rude wake up when he retires and we don't have anybody to feed to puck to our forwards), we'll be in trouble.

If Radulov doesn't re-sign, damn we will lack creativity and intensity like never before, Pacioretty can't bring that.

Then add the Galchenyuk possible departure, and we'll be down another top 6 player... and Beaulieu, despite his shortcomings (mental side especially), was our 3rd best scoring D, PPG wise at least.

And if we begin the season with that same center line...

Add Price to that, who holds ALL the cards.

It definitely could be his 'last moves'. And he could blow it up...

But if he blow things apart, at least we'll have the obligation to go through a rebuild, finally.

Oh well...

Old
05-16-2017, 03:36 PM
WeThreeKings
#1 Centre

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Look at the amount of talent from Europe that the Leafs are signing.. this is what happens when people see an organization on the upswing.

Agents pay attention to this stuff.

Old
05-16-2017, 03:53 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Look at the amount of talent from Europe that the Leafs are signing.. this is what happens when people see an organization on the upswing.

Maple Leafs management did in the past two years what I suggested Bergevin do in 2013: the surgical tank.

Old
05-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Mr Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4br3cqu3 View Post
If he can't replace Markov soon (and I'm not even sure Sergachev will be able, Markov is a special player, most fans will have a rude wake up when he retires and we don't have anybody to feed to puck to our forwards), we'll be in trouble.
Lol why are you worried about Markov replacement? Markov was never a playoff performer in his whole career, why would you worry to lose him? We're talking about bringing the cup back to Montreal, don't worry about Markov so much, Markov is not part of the big picture.

Now I understand your worries about not resigning Radulov and Price but me personally, im pretty positive they will resign here. And im positive about the future of this club, it's well built, the core is young.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Runner77

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
not giving a lot of importance for that information but Laraque on 91.9 said that he heard the organisation will trade Beaulieu and Galchenyuk this summer.
I too heard Gonzalez and Laracque say that Beaulieu and Galchenyuk are no longer part of the Habs' future. I agree, you can't take their sources or them too seriously.

Guillaume Latendresse joined their show. He said Beaulieu is apparently heavy on partying and drinking but is more discreet about it, he doesn't post anything, unlike what he used to do. Habs management is well aware of his continuing behavior.

As for Galchenyuk, Latendresse said that he drinks so much that two guys had to lift him up and carry him off the premises. I was surprised Latendresse was as forthcoming about this. Again, FWIW.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jackpot View Post
Markov has nothing to do with the "window" discussion because the Habs were never in a window of opportunity to begin with. You even said yourself it in the bolded parts, we didn't the centers to be a contender and 2nd we had underpeforming veterans.

So there was no window in the last years and there's still no window today, people need to stop talking about window's, there's no windows.

You repeat window I don't know how many times as if that's all I was talking about and yet I didn't write the word once!!!

Talk about making hasty conclusions.

I mentioned Markov because once he's gone, Habs regular season performances will suffer greatly, with or without Price. And that is gonna show just how much MB inherited what made the team perform and how little he has done to fix this team.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Mr Jackpot

Quote:
You repeat window I don't know how many times as if that's all I was talking about and yet I didn't write the word once!!!
Buddy you 1st replied to my post where I was talking about the window, when you quote me can you please stay in the subject lol....

Old
05-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

5 years of horrific tanking is a nice start... but it wasn't till Shanny and Lou got there and put a new policy in place that it really changed. It makes me mad to say that.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:15 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jackpot View Post
Lol why are you worried about Markov replacement? Markov was never a playoff performer in his whole career, why would you worry to lose him? We're talking about bringing the cup back to Montreal, don't worry about Markov so much, Markov is not part of the big picture.

Now I understand your worries about not resigning Radulov and Price but me personally, im pretty positive they will resign here. And im positive about the future of this club, it's well built, the core is young.
You know that there's a regular season before playoffs eh ? And that in order to make playoffs, we need good results in the regular season. Markov .36PPG in playoffs isn't world shattering, that's a fact, but we need someone like him in the regular season, for sure.

Fact is, we have nothing in the system that might come close to what he brings. And anyway, as it is, we have no real playoff performer, D-wise. And really only 1 forward who did anything...

Core might be young, but well built ?

Old
05-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Maple Leafs management did in the past two years what I suggested Bergevin do in 2013: the surgical tank.
In hindsight, Matthews is much better than anything the 2013/2014 drafts have had to offer.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Belial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
not giving a lot of importance for that information but Laraque on 91.9 said that he heard the organisation will trade Beaulieu and Galchenyuk this summer.
I don't think this would be a surprise for anyone.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Runner77

vCash: 0
After the Black Hawks, the Rangers have just announced changes:

Quote:
New York Rangers General Manager Jeff Gorton announced today that Ken Gernander has been relieved of his coaching duties with the Wolf Pack. A replacement will be announced by the team at a later date.

In addition, Rangers Senior Vice President and Assistant General Manager Jim Schoenfeld has relinquished his duties as General Manager of the Wolf Pack and will focus solely on his duties in New York. Rangers Assistant General Manager Chris Drury will assume the role of General Manager of the Wolf Pack.
The Rangers weren't afraid of canning their AHL coach without having a replacement in tow. Meantime, Bergevin won't confirm that Lefebvre is toast -- there are even rumors that they're considering Lefebvre for another position in the organization. When will it ever end.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
I too heard Gonzalez and Laracque say that Beaulieu and Galchenyuk are no longer part of the Habs' future. I agree, you can't take their sources or them too seriously.

Guillaume Latendresse joined their show. He said Beaulieu is apparently heavy on partying and drinking but is more discreet about it, he doesn't post anything, unlike what he used to do. Habs management is well aware of his continuing behavior.

As for Galchenyuk, Latendresse said that he drinks so much that two guys had to lift him up and carry him off the premises. I was surprised Latendresse was as forthcoming about this. Again, FWIW.
On the topic of drinking, Darche shared recently that one of the Kostitsyn brother was playing drunk or hangover AF during an afternoon game in LA. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:22 PM
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster

Quote:
If Flyers take Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, 1st for Claude Giroux then they're gone.
I'd sure as hell prefer this over Chucky & Sergachev for Duchene

Old
05-16-2017, 04:22 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedunceofhockey View Post
I would laugh so hard if MB pulled off a Tavares or Mackinnon deal.
Would you still be laughing if MB trades a bunch of assets for Tavares and he then walks as a UFA after next season? If Tavares agreed to an extension with the Habs before the trade was done I'd be all for it. If not then that would be a huge risk on MB's part and one that could seriously backfire on him..

Old
05-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Would you still be laughing if MB trades a bunch of assets for Tavares and he then walks as a UFA after next season? If Tavares agreed to an extension with the Habs before the trade was done I'd be all for it. If not then that would be a huge risk on MB's part and one that could seriously backfire on him..
That's the type of risk worth taking though. We only have 1-2 more seasons where we are likely going to contend given Price/Pacioretty's contract, Weber's year by year decline, and Markov's age, so why not go for it? Add a guy like Tavares and go down swinging.

I'd much rather Bergevin try for Tavares and have him walk after a season than simply run out the clock on our stars like he has been doing.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:26 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
On the topic of drinking, Darche shared recently that one of the Kostitsyn brother was playing drunk or hangover AF during an afternoon game in LA. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Yup, and all we hear from the organization is that they draft and develop kids with character... then they throw them under the bus in the medias and Bergevin say that they need to be held accountable too. And while he's partially right, why do they draft kids with 'character' if they act like they don't have any ?

Do they even know what 'character' is ?

Heck, do they even know what they're doing ?

(I know, asking this is answering at the same time)

Old
05-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Yup, and all we hear from the organization is that they draft and develop kids with character... then they throw them under the bus in the medias and Bergevin say that they need to be held accountable too. And while he's partially right, why do they draft kids with 'character' if they act like they don't have any ?

Do they even know what 'character' is ?

Heck, do they even know what they're doing ?

(I know, asking this is answering at the same time)
I'm not gonna lie, I had the same thought in the last week. For such a buzzword that is thrown around by Bergevin, I've never really heard him give concrete examples or a definition other than overcoming adversity.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Mr Jackpot

Quote:
You know that there's a regular season before playoffs eh ? :
that's a very stupid question to ask

Quote:
And that in order to make playoffs, we need good results in the regular season.
So if we remove Markov, we wont have good results in the regular season? Markov is not the single reason why the Habs have good results in regular season and he's not a Hart candidate either

Yes he's good but let's remember that Markov started the 16-17 season on the 2nd pairing and in the 15-16 season he had a difficult year. So your "good results in regular season" argument is not valid. And there's a reason why we drafted Sergachev who is a LD, the plan was to replace Markov long term. Again, this team is well built for the future.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:32 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
In hindsight, Matthews is much better than anything the 2013/2014 drafts have had to offer.
And the leafs are still not ahead of us as much as people want to believe otherwise.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:36 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
That's the type of risk worth taking though. We only have 1-2 more seasons where we are likely going to contend given Price/Pacioretty's contract, Weber's year by year decline, and Markov's age, so why not go for it? Add a guy like Tavares and go down swinging.

I'd much rather Bergevin try for Tavares and have him walk after a season than simply run out the clock on our stars like he has been doing.
Yeah at this point MB might have to swing for the fences and hope for the best even if it's a risky move. His team as stalled and more and more are getting impatient and starting to turn on him.

I have zero confidence MB can make the Habs a true contender but it might be an interesting summer for Habs moves if there are any.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:40 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
If Flyers take Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, 1st for Claude Giroux then they're gone.
This would be awful, just awful for the Habs...Giroux is breaking down already.............this is 10X worse than Subban for Webber...yes, 10X worse...

Old
05-16-2017, 04:42 PM
BatVader
Dark Sith Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD thaivuN View Post
I'd sure as hell prefer this over Chucky & Sergachev for Duchene
Why?
Because Giroux is so much better than Duchene or because it means Sergachev doesn't leave?
I'm guessing the latter!

Old
05-16-2017, 04:46 PM
OldCraig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhabs View Post
Old one was full
Explanation of the title.
"When you get the puck anything can happen"

Closed Thread