HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Initial thoughts on Torchetti's coaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2006, 12:09 AM
jfont

vCash: 500
Awards:
Initial thoughts on Torchetti's coaching

Thought he was letting the players play their game...not the structured way murray had them doing. alot more freedom and creativity. I think players really like this...

The negative, they keep getting caught up ice and get into mistakes...in that respect, I think they need to be more disciplined...and someone please tell sean avery not to take dumb penalties...

Also, looking at the schedule...I think if they take care of their own these last 12 games, they'll be in the playoffs...

03-26-2006, 12:17 AM
kingsfan25

The offensive freedom was great to see. It's what this team's bread and butter should be...offensive depth is the greatest strength, and it's nice to see it being utilized.

The defensive breakdowns were an issue...Garon was hung out to dry too much...obviously with a more wide open playing style, you sacrifice some defensive control, but it can still be better.However, that's really in the background for me at this point; I'm too happy about the offensive groove they found to care about the D blunders right now.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:23 AM
nikolai19

The team has life again which breeds creativity. Frolov was a major boost. Losing and Roenick and Armstrong will not hurt the team. I would like to see Lauri Tukonen get a chance right now in either of those guys place. Chances are Guiliano will get the other spot.

They have to win 2 out of three in Canada and they will still have a chance. They have to beat out Edmonton and Vancouver if they are going to get in because San Jose and Anaheim are beating everybody.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Captain Ron

At this point I don't care if the Kings give up 5 goals a game as long as they score 6 or more.

This team has always been loaded more on the offensive side of the puck. The problem recently is the inability to score especially on the powerplay......I find it amazing this team was 1 for 27 on the powerplay in the last 3 games and were able to score 3 PP goals tonight.....whatever Torchetti showed them in practice is definitely working.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:32 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
At this point I don't care if the Kings give up 5 goals a game as long as they score 6 or more.

This team has always been loaded more on the offensive side of the puck. The problem recently is the inability to score especially on the powerplay......I find it amazing this team was 1 for 27 on the powerplay in the last 3 games and were able to score 3 PP goals tonight.....whatever Torchetti showed them in practice is definitely working.
kings won't be going very far or even making the playoffs if they keep giving up 5 goals a game. and i doubt they'll be that offensive jugernaut that you say they will be cause teams at the end of the season will clamp down on defense. this is just one game. i hope they continue with this offense...but its highly unlikely. so good discipline on defense is still key.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:33 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19
The team has life again which breeds creativity. Frolov was a major boost. Losing and Roenick and Armstrong will not hurt the team. I would like to see Lauri Tukonen get a chance right now in either of those guys place. Chances are Guiliano will get the other spot.

They have to win 2 out of three in Canada and they will still have a chance. They have to beat out Edmonton and Vancouver if they are going to get in because San Jose and Anaheim are beating everybody.
if they can't beat SJ and the ducks, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs...they have to beat them.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:33 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
I would like to see Lauri Tukonen get a chance right now in either of those guys place.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Osprey

Old habits die hard. Murray had the team programmed to do things a certain way. Many of the players, defensemen, especially, were still very firmly holding onto Murray's teachings. Others, like Conroy and Parrish, adapted very well. It'll take time to fully de-program all of the players. I expect many of the bad habits to gradually go away... if not this season (since there's so little time), then next season. Tonight was a good first step, and I was actually surprised to see as much of a difference the first night out as we did.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:43 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
TI would like to see Lauri Tukonen get a chance right now in either of those guys place.
Better not let anyone in Manchester hear you say that.

I don't think Tukonen is ready to skate in the NHL yet, even if only temporarily. He'd only be a grinder up here and that would just be a waste of time for him. Let him get the full year in down in Manchester and then go from there.

03-26-2006, 12:45 AM
nikolai19

Fact is Tukonen is big and has skill much like Frolov. I don't think we can bring up Daigle, which wouldn't be too bad of a choice. Roenick and Armstrong being out means Guiliano and someone else. Demitra and Cowan are not ready so why not bring up Lauri?

Old
03-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Fact is Tukonen is big and has skill much like Frolov. I don't think we can bring up Daigle, which wouldn't be too bad of a choice. Roenick and Armstrong being out means Guiliano and someone else. Demitra and Cowan are not ready so why not bring up Lauri?

I think we will end up with 7 d-men if Sopel is good to go.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
absolutic

I think with Torchetti, the games will be more exciting. As Jaromir Jagr once said it, "All offense, all the time." But as you saw today, such no-look-back offense leads to outnumbered attacks for other teams. So they need to tighten-up a little on defense. I am sure Torchetti will remind them. But I think he should continue to work on pp with them, the 3 pp goals were huge! PP just looked like a different team tonight, wow, in 48 hours he produced more than Van Boxmer dude in the whole year.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:52 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Because:

1. As a grinder, he's ineffective. He does not play a physical game...
2. He's probably no more ready to contribute in a top-6 role in the NHL as either of the guys (Roenick & Armstrong) you're looking to replace...

Old
03-26-2006, 12:54 AM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Because he's still learning things, including but not limited to, skating and positioning. He's only 19, let him develop. It's not like he's going to come up here and start scoring in bunches. He would only be grinding away for 5 or 6 minutes a game. Let him have 17-20 minutes in Manchester.

If someone gets called up, it will likely be a Ryan/Kanko/James/Clarke.

Edit: Now look what you did, you've got the East-side Manchester Brotherhood coming down on you. Watch out, they'll mess you up.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Game Misconduct

I did not understand all of the PP time for Norstrom.

I did not understand why Garon started and was not pulled.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:01 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Old habits die hard.
LOL got to love Hitchcock...

I think the biggest thing about tonight wasn't Torchetti; it was the fact that Murray wasn't behind the bench.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
David A. Rainer

In regards to the topic of the thread, I will reserve any conclusions until the season is completed. So good so far, but it's only one game.

To steal a line from an old textbook, "Sample size too small to formulate any meaningful conclusions."

Old
03-26-2006, 01:09 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
Thought he was letting the players play their game...not the structured way murray had them doing. alot more freedom and creativity. I think players really like this...

The negative, they keep getting caught up ice and get into mistakes...in that respect, I think they need to be more disciplined...and someone please tell sean avery not to take dumb penalties...

Also, looking at the schedule...I think if they take care of their own these last 12 games, they'll be in the playoffs...
There were no defenseman in even remotely near Garon on 2 of the Preds goals. It was also pretty damn scary when Garon went down. I don't know why Sopel was scratched instead of Miller. In the short time he's been here, Sopel's definitely played better than Miller.

On a postive note, it appears that at least to a certain extent Torchetti has given the players some freedom.

The next three games will be very telling.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:13 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
There were no defenseman in even remotely near Garon on 2 of the Preds goals. It was also pretty damn scary when Garon went down. I don't know why Sopel was scratched instead of Miller. In the short time he's been here, Sopel's definitely played better than Miller.
I've been very disappointed in Miller's play of late...He's made some bad decisions the past several games. Not what you expect from your no. 1 shut down defenseman.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:15 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
I've been very disappointed in Miller's play of late...He's made some bad decisions the past several games. Not what you expect from your no. 1 shut down defenseman.
Concur. He's definitely "been out to lunch" the last several games. That's why I don't understand the continued ice time.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct

The alternative would be Miller or Gleason. Miller obviously is no improvement, and Gleason, while I'd like to see him tried in this role next season, it's now too late in the season for this experiment. When Sopel gets back, I would expect him be paired with Dempsey on the second PP unit.

While .250 save percentage for a period is not good, but I don't think he had a chance on at least two, if not all 3 of those goals.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
I don't know why Sopel was scratched instead of Miller. In the short time he's been here, Sopel's definitely played better than Miller.
His knee was still bothering him.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:26 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24
His knee was still bothering him.
That would explain it. Thanks.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:54 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Sopel was scratched because of a sore knee. The only other two choices were Miller and Gleason, who have hardly played the PP at all this season, and Norstrom has 8 PP points. So, the PP time was fully justified.
Quote:
Torchetti does a lot of things differently than Murray.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-26-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old
03-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
Because he's still learning things, including but not limited to, skating and positioning. He's only 19, let him develop. It's not like he's going to come up here and start scoring in bunches. He would only be grinding away for 5 or 6 minutes a game. Let him have 17-20 minutes in Manchester.

If someone gets called up, it will likely be a Ryan/Kanko/James/Clarke.

Edit: Now look what you did, you've got the East-side Manchester Brotherhood coming down on you. Watch out, they'll mess you up.
Yes.

I want Kanko to get called up.
________
easy vape

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Closed Thread