Notices

Dallas Stars Top 20

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Kevin Wey

vCash: 500
Dallas Stars Top 20

Just so everyone knows, the Dallas Stars Top 20 will be posted soon.

It's significantly different than the Top 20 before the season. (Which I wasn't a part of, as I did not cover Dallas back then.) But, my location has made that convenient, and I have enjoyed covering the Stars prospects so far. Hopefully the Iowa Stars stick around for a long time so that I can see the development of Stars prospect through and through. In a couple years, a few of the current I-Stars sould be Dallas Stars, so...

Up next will be the CHL Prospects Update. I've talked to Coach Hay from Vancouver on Mark Fistric and Coach Vellucci from Plymouth about Neal. My attempts to contact Everett have gone unanswered, as have Peterborough (Fredrik Naslund), and Sarnia just released Shawn Camp as head coach, so...hopefully I can find somebody in the organization to talk about Clune.

Then in April, expect a European prospects update. This is when the Sharks are far easier than Dallas, because San Jose has only one prospect not playing in a European elite league (Alexander Hult, Russian Upper League). I'll do my best to gain information on Sergei Kukushin and Alexander Naurov. We'll see what I can dig up on Eero Kilpelainen too, as he plays in the Finnish First Division for Hermes. (He was recalled as a back-up for a few games by Assat, but that was the extent of it.) I've been able to find a fair amount of info on Vadim Khomitsky already though, as he was considered for the Top 20. The others all play in leagues where info is readily available.

It is also my goal to get all of the player profiles up-to-date over the summer. We'll see if I can reach that. Stars fans deserve it.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 03-25-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
devilman

Tobias Stephan will cross the pond this season, that's 4 sure. They said it all along the season, and his team, the Kloten Flyers, have a new goaltender under contract for next season.

He appeard a little nervous in the critical moments in the 1/4 finals vs. Berne, also now in the semi finals vs. Lugano. He out-duelled Lugano's goaltender in the 1st match-up in the shootout. In the 2nd game he was a little shaky, but tonite he had a much better game, even they lost 0-3. The standig is 1-2 in favour of Lugano, who feature Ville Peltonen, Glenn Metropolit, who might have a shot 4 next season in the NHL.

Old
03-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
@devilman,

i really hope Stephan shows a mentality like Gerber and not like Von Arx, Riesen or Ziegler

Old
03-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Kevin Wey

Tobias Stephan: Well, I'm looking forward to seeing Stephan with the Iowa Stars next season then. This should favor the scenario of Mike Smith becoming Dallas' back-up, Dan Ellis re-signing as the starter in Iowa, and then Tobias Stephan coming in as number two (at least to start the season).

Hopefully Patrick Bartschi, Julien Sprunger, Severin Blindenbacher, and Beat Forster make the move too. And hopefully others in the future follow the lead of Roman Wick and come to North America in juniors.

I know Philippe Furrer missed 2003-04 injured and he only played 29 games for Bern, what path is his development taking?

Old
03-26-2006, 05:51 AM
devilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy
@devilman,

i really hope Stephan shows a mentality like Gerber and not like Von Arx, Riesen or Ziegler
I think it's easier for goaltenders, they have a different mentality (must have a much bigger ego or something like that, like drummers in bands, they are/have to be "special" people).

Old
03-26-2006, 06:05 AM
devilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Tobias Stephan: Well, I'm looking forward to seeing Stephan with the Iowa Stars next season then. This should favor the scenario of Mike Smith becoming Dallas' back-up, Dan Ellis re-signing as the starter in Iowa, and then Tobias Stephan coming in as number two (at least to start the season).

Hopefully Patrick Bartschi, Julien Sprunger, Severin Blindenbacher, and Beat Forster make the move too. And hopefully others in the future follow the lead of Roman Wick and come to North America in juniors.

I know Philippe Furrer missed 2003-04 injured and he only played 29 games for Bern, what path is his development taking?
I hope Toby has the chance to share the load with Ellis, or would you think (as for his and Ellis' development), it would be better for both to have #1 duty, one in the AHL and the other in the ECHL?

Patrick Bartschi has somewhat regressed, also Blindenbacher and Forster. I don't know, I noticed that Swiss players develop well until they get 20, then something misses, the next step. Don't know what it is, but you can see that with a lot players. Also see Kevin Romy (PHI), after he changed the team (from Geneva to Lugano), he stopped developping.

Roman Wick has a tough time this season, also Tim Ramholt (CGY), after his 1 year stint in NA, he went back, and now he's #5/6 D-man with Kloten Flyers.

Philippe Furrer had so much bad luck. He got injured again before the playoffs, before he played really well. I hope this setback won't hurt him again. If he can stay injury free next season, and continues to develop, he might come over (if NYR have plans with him).

Old
03-26-2006, 09:15 AM
GDS

Kevin Wey Rocks!

Old
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Kevin Wey

As for the workload in Iowa, hopefully Ellis decides to re-sign with the Dallas organization. He's a Group VI free agent, so he could potentially sign elsewhere.
I do think Smith has established himself over Ellis, but this isn't a great surprise. I personally like Smith's crease movement and the puckhandling aspect he brings. Ellis is very good too though. Dallas has a nice problem on their hands and with how good both Smith and Ellis are, if Ellis is re-signed, there's no reason the Dallas has to resign Johan Hedberg. (Nothing against Hedberg, but for Smith, it's time, he needs a new challenge.)

Barry Brust brought up a great point when I interviewed him, how the shots in the ECHL were more difficult, because the defense wasn't as good, so the offensive players got better chances. This helps explain why sometimes a goalie has a save percentage barely at .900 in the ECHL, and then they do very well in the AHL. Well, on the same token, give Smith six NHL defensemen and forwards like Jere Lehtinen in front of him, who knows what he could do. The NHL is a jump because the shooters are that little bit more accurate, harder shots, quicker shots, smarter players, but on the flip side, so too are the defensemen that little bit better, so...The same is for Ellis too, on so many occasions this year, Ellis has made the first, second, or third save, but it doesn't get cleared and it's in. Both Smith and Ellis make nearly all of the first saves, Smith gives up slightly fewer second shots though. When Smith is playing his stand-up/butterfly game, sliding across the crease with the pad slide, playing a controlled game, he's something to watch. If he's diving, normally it's because he went out to play the puck and it took some weird hope of the boards, glass, net, and he ended up out of position. He doesn't totally misjudge it, it's just that hockey boards don't always result in perfect geometry.

So, I hope, from a Dallas prospect development standpoint, that Smith is Turco's back-up and Ellis is Iowa's first string. Because if, or almost when, one of the top two goes down, then Ellis gets his shot and Tobias Stephan can step up into the starter role. Invariably, goalies fourth in the organization's goalie depth chart end up with a fair number of starts in the AHL, because something is bound to happen to one of the top three during the course of the 80-game seasons.

As for the fifth goalie, if Idaho maintains Steve Silverthorn, having him for recall (although not under Dallas contract) is sufficient. A person might ask, "Why not have Eero Kilpelainen in the ECHL?" Well, he probably wouldn't start in the ECHL, so...

I would say that it is probably time for Dallas to draft a goalie on the first day of the 2006 Draft though. Smith and Ellis aren't going to be prospects much longer, by HF standards or any other, so then it's just Stephan. With Dallas bound to draft late in the first round, maybe that's a place to draft a goaltender to replenish the goaltender depth chart.

Oh, on the goalie front, I originally had Pat McGann as a "Just Missed the Cut," but he got cut from the article Anyway, I know he hasn't played a lot in Cedar Rapids this year, but he's talented. I love McGann's crease movement. A common theme with me, I do have particular goaltender tastes as far as style is concerned: stand-up/butterfly who can move laterally in the crease well and get up and down quickly, and a good glove hand, but the lateral and vertical crease movement is waht I care about most, because it helps a goalie get himself, or herself, into the position to make the save. I'm not a fan of the "athletic" goalies who flop and dive, because they create erratic rebounds and often aren't in position to make the second save, especially if the forward roofs it. (I played defense in Junior B and then into college club hockey with West Virginia and Iowa State, so...as a defenseman, it's nice when you have an idea what to expect for rebounds so that you can just know where the goalie is likely to put it and every play isn't a read and react, just react.)

McGann has this crease movement ability, and a sharp glove hand. Hopefully he's Cedar Rapids' starter next season. (Stalock is going to UMD, where Niskanen and McKnight play) Thankfully for Dallas, McGann has five more years of development off of their watch. (1 more USHL, 4 years of college)

Actually, drafting projects from the USHL or even midgets, like McGann, may be the wa to go. Now that Europeans have to be signed after two years just like major juniors, draft somebody who may have one-to-two years of USHL hockey to go and four years of college hockey, or at least the four years of college hockey. The new CBA made USHL and Tier II junior A players going to college much more attractive in the draft. The days of project Euros is over. (Which sure will make my job at HF easier )

Old
03-26-2006, 12:33 PM
oozer

Not sure where you get your numbers on your prospects. Is Smith #8 because he has been #8 on the AHL stats board? Do you travel to Europe or around North America to see these guys play? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. You must remember that Ellis is a 2nd rounder and Smith is a 5th. Just because a coach chooses to play one goalie more often over another doesn't mean that goalie is better. If you looked closer at the stats Smith has won only 6 of his last 18 starts, has a 1-6 record in shootouts and has played San Antonio more times than Ellis. Ellis was respected and trusted enough to play an NHL game, can't say the same for Smith. Ellis may not get as many games as Smith but he has a winning record. Include Smith's 6 shootout losses and Ellis is looking really good.By the way, Ellis is 2nd in the AHL for save % and 3rd in wins in shootouts. Smith pales in comparison. I say Ellis is backup next year. Smith has had 4 years to do something in the A but he just continues to be inconsistent.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilman

Patrick Bartschi has somewhat regressed, also Blindenbacher and Forster. I don't know, I noticed that Swiss players develop well until they get 20, then something misses, the next step. Don't know what it is, but you can see that with a lot players. Also see Kevin Romy (PHI), after he changed the team (from Geneva to Lugano), he stopped developping.
Can't say you're wrong. Though, I wouldn't put Romy in the same boat as the others. He's highly talented and might become something great, but I have to agree that remaining with Geneva would have been better for him. Lugano is so star-loaded that it's not easy for a youngster to make name for himself, let alone get enough quality playing time.

Bezina has found back to his old form though, since being back with Geneva. He is a couple of steps ahead of Forster and Blindenbacher, not only skill-wise, but also concerning smarts and hockey sense.

Old
03-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Starsdude

Nice intelligent article thanks Kevin

Old
03-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Dr GLU

It's a little late, but good work Kevin. It's good to have someone who gets to see the guys play regularly on board. I remember that was always the biggest problem.

Closed Thread