HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rich Winter

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 06:43 AM
WFHACommish

vCash: 500
Rich Winter

I think Comrie should be looking for another agent to represent him.

From my point of view, I think the only guy in this whole fiasco that seems to be preventing a contract from happening is Mr. Winter.

Comrie and Lowe are all hush about this process. It hasn't been confirmed that Comrie wants out of Edmonton. Only rumours and speculations. Lowe has already stated that he wants Comrie and would be more than happy to have him re-signed that traded. On the other hand, Winter is making this thing uglier and uglier. He goes from saying in the Journal that the chances of Comrie playing for EDM is 0% and that a trade is inevitable. Then, in today's Journal, he says " I don't think it will go anywhere other than a trade, but I never say never." This shows a lot of indecision on his part.

Personally, I believe Winter is trying to embarrass the Oilers' organization. He is still thinking this is the mid 90s where players have the upper hand. However, with the CBA lurking around he has nothing. Both Comrie and Lowe have handled this situation professionally, except Winter demanding trades etc. Going through the media to try to manipulate Lowe into trading Comrie.

For one thing, I can tell you this is bad news for Comrie. Winter's demand for a trade lessens the value for Comrie in that teams, knowing that Comrie wants to be traded, will not offer full value for him. This would work out and we'd see another star player on our team be traded for lesser value. However, this time is not the case, Lowe has the upper hand in that Comrie has no arbitration rights and he is far away from UFA eligibility. On top of that, the CBA is due up next year. Lowe is not going to back down or be pressured into making a deal unless he receives full value.

I'd say Comrie sit out for the rest of the season and trade for Ovechkin.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Slats432

I agree about Winter.

Anyone with a shot at a top 5 pick this season is likely not going to trade it for the very reason you are suggesting. They are not going to trade away a shot at Ovechkin(I would be very surprised if they did.)

Old
10-28-2003, 06:53 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I agree about Winter.

Anyone with a shot at a top 5 pick this season is likely not going to trade it for the very reason you are suggesting. They are not going to trade away a shot at Ovechkin(I would be very surprised if they did.)
I'd say trade Comrie along with Salo, his value is depleting. Might as well throw him in and bank on Ovechkin. I'd pull a Clarke on this one. Ovechkin's way better than Lindros. Has the size, skill,...more importantly, the attitude, the passion and is very humble.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:26 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
I think Comrie should be looking for another agent to represent him.

From my point of view, I think the only guy in this whole fiasco that seems to be preventing a contract from happening is Mr. Winter.
You honestly believe that?

Sure Comrie has become a big part of this team from a fans point of view and it is unappetizing to think that a player that has been well liked here doesn't actually want to stay, but to suggest that this whole situation has unfolded because Comrie's agent is manipulating him is naive at the very least.

Comrie has a history of doing exactly what he is doing now. He didn't report to Tri Cities (I believe that was the team that drafted him) in the WHL, went to Michigan, abandoned ship there to go to Kootenay, got the attention he was seeking and left them high and dry and now he is doing the same thing to the Oilers...he has always simply looked for greener pastures imo

Do you really think Rich Winter was solely behind all of that? If he was, why don't you see all of his clients doing the same thing? Also keep in mind that we are not talking about farmer Bob's son but the son of Bill Comrie. The kid has a network of advise givers available to him that 99% of NHL players could only dream of.

No for what ever the reason this soap opera is stemming from, it is all Mike Comrie and what Mike Comrie wants. Rich Winter is simply the Jack Azz that is fuelling the fire.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:39 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Comrie and Lowe are all hush about this process. It hasn't been confirmed that Comrie wants out of Edmonton.
Based on the radio interview Winter gave the only one left to speak on this issue is Comrie himself.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Digger12

Quote:
I'd say trade Comrie along with Salo, his value is depleting. Might as well throw him in and bank on Ovechkin. I'd pull a Clarke on this one. Ovechkin's way better than Lindros. Has the size, skill,...more importantly, the attitude, the passion and is very humble.
If you were the GM of the team that had a shot at Ovechkin, would you trade him for a 5' 9" center coming off a year long holdout and a 33 year old goalie who's at best an average NHL starter? Neither would I.

As for Winter, last I checked he worked for Comrie not the other way around. He very well could be getting bad advice from Winter, but it's not like he's the only source of information Comrie has.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Your ill fated hope has next to zero chance of coming to pass.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:01 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Your ill fated hope has next to zero chance of coming to pass.
I think that something could be swung on draft day though. I mean if Lowe comes to what ever team has the number one pick and offers:
Comrie
CHimera
Lynch
pick 15 (approx.)
for
pick 1

I think that that would REALLY get there attention as that would add such great depth to their organization - and it wouldn't be just mid class depth - it would be four assests that could be the core of a team for another 10-15 years. I think a package like that would REALLY tempt a team not owned by Mario (they don't have ANY money to do a deal like that).

Old
10-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
I still can't figure out where Winter is coming from. At first, he claimed they didn't ask for a trade, only to admit later that they did ask for one, but only as an attempt to get Lowe’s attention. Now he says they have irreconcilable differences and the only solution is a trade. Meanwhile, he claims to be bound by a confidentiality agreement and, as such, will neither confirm, nor deny, Comrie’s position with regard to playing in Edmonton.

I would be willing to believe these trade demands were a standard negotiating tactic if it were not for the lack of similar demands coming out of the other holdout camps. Therefore, it appears that either Comrie has no interest in continuing his career in Edmonton, or Winter is a complete bozo giving Comrie bad advice. I find the later scenario unlikely because Comrie and his family are not stupid, and if they felt Comrie was getting bad advice; Winter would no longer be his agent. As a result, the only conclusion is that Comrie has indeed requested a trade.

With what appears to be little action by Lowe on the trade front, Winter’s client is getting antsy, and the result is the latest outburst in the media. I fully support Lowe in waiting as long as it takes, no matter how bad the Oilers record gets this year.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I think that something could be swung on draft day though. I mean if Lowe comes to what ever team has the number one pick and offers:
Comrie
CHimera
Lynch
pick 15 (approx.)
for
pick 1

I think that that would REALLY get there attention as that would add such great depth to their organization - and it wouldn't be just mid class depth - it would be four assests that could be the core of a team for another 10-15 years. I think a package like that would REALLY tempt a team not owned by Mario (they don't have ANY money to do a deal like that).
You are offering 4 $5s for a $20 bill. Ovechkin is thought of like Lindros. (Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg,Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, the Flyers' first-round pick in 1993 (Jocelyn
Thibault) and 1994 (Nolan Baumgartner), and $15 Million in cash)

So even if you devalued Ovechkin by 35% WORSE than Lindros....then the chances of the Oilers trading for the kid are still a snowball's chance in hell.

Closed Thread