HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Forgotten One

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Boondock Saint

vCash: 500
The Forgotten One

After a couple years of floundering around the RSL, Mikhnov really seems to have turned it around. He's playing close to a point a game hockey and has a positive plus/minus, on a poor Sibir team in the low scoring Russian SuperLeague.

I am posting this because I have seen his name mentioned with some of the Oil first round blunders in the 1990's, and most non-Oil fans seem to have written this guy off after a rough couple of years.

Personally, I feel that he is a better prospect than Niinimaki (especially since his shoulder injury, he might turn into Josh Greenimaki if that thing doesn't heal properly), Pouliot, Rita, Stoll..... hell, I'll just put him at the top of my list.

At 6'5, 215, this guy is approximately the same size as Semenov and has shown some real skill. (Check the prospect stat thread for some videos) If his skills translate to the North American game, this guy could be a potential top line player for us.

Mikhnov - Niinimaki/Pouliot - Hemsky

It's great to see some potential top line talent coming up for once. Now for a few defensemen.....

Question for Guy - What are the odds of Mikhnov coming over next year, and will the possibility of a lockout have any bearing on him coming over??

Is Frank Musil ever around Skyreach, and if so, what does he have to say about the kid?? Or anyone else who might have seen him???

Thanks in advance.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint

Question for Guy - What are the odds of Mikhnov coming over next year, and will the possibility of a lockout have any bearing on him coming over??

Is Frank Musil ever around Skyreach, and if so, what does he have to say about the kid?? Or anyone else who might have seen him???
Go back and read the Kevin Prendergast Interview from August for his feelings on Mikhnov and what he said about him coming over:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6204

As for Frank Musil... no he is one of two European scouts for the Oil (Kent Nilsson is the other) so he's over there 90% of the time. Last I heard from K.P. is that Frank was starting in Finland to watch Niinimaki, I assume that was a short trip though.

I do have his email address and I plan on contacting him throughout the season... but haven't yet at this early point of the year.

That's it for now... Guy

Old
10-28-2003, 08:08 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I too am high on Mikhnov. I think this kid will be considered our second or third best prospect after the year. If he comes over next year I could see him dominate the NHL for 3/4 of the season and get a late call-up and thrive there too. This kid looks like all he has ever needed was a chance at some good ice time so that he could play and dominate like he has. He is EXACTLY what we need (a big, fast, sniper) and I think in a couple years him and Hemsky will form a GREAT first line! I just hope this kid can keep it up! I have confidence that he will!

Old
10-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Digger12

I'd be very curious to see what kind of coin he's making in the Super League right now, if he's making more there than he would by toiling on the farm in Toronto might he be wary about coming over here unless he's guaranteed an Oiler roster spot?

Old
10-28-2003, 08:29 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I'd be very curious to see what kind of coin he's making in the Super League right now, if he's making more there than he would by toiling on the farm in Toronto might he be wary about coming over here unless he's guaranteed an Oiler roster spot?
It depends though... if he feels that the only to get into the NHL is to play in the AHL he may sacrifice a bit of money to do it.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:53 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

If he comes over next season, I'll be a very happy man...I can't wait to see this guy play in North America.

I think his skill has always been there. Its just that he was mishandled the past three years and we were unable to get a consistent read on his play.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It depends though... if he feels that the only to get into the NHL is to play in the AHL he may sacrifice a bit of money to do it.
Ya, if he has any confidence in his abilities, then he will sacrifice some dough for next year to play in the minors and then get a shot at the NHL to make the REAL big bucks. Who knows. By the time the NHL is running again (IF there is a work stoppage) then he maybe ready to step right into the NHL as he has a guarenteed spot in the Russian league which could be very helpful if the rest of the NHL isn't playing!

Anybody wonder what kind of hockey they would show on TV without the NHL? THink they would show some more junior games? I would like to see that - that would be a great idea!

Old
10-28-2003, 08:59 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Well according to GuyF's interview, he seemed interested in coming over for the prospect camp this summer but couldn't due to obligations to his present team. Hopefully he will come over next summer and get a shot in TO just to learn the NA game. I would love to see him be a mid year call up next year

Old
10-28-2003, 09:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I would love to see him be a mid year call up next year
Although I have seen a minimal amount of the kid - I truely believe that unless the transition from the euro game to the northamerican game is tough on him then he will be able to make the big team by january.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Although I have seen a minimal amount of the kid .
If you've seen ANY amount of the kid in recent years you're doing better than most of the Oiler scouting staff. Where and when did you see him play?

Closed Thread