HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Out of Town Thread - Subban 1 Bergevin 0 Edition [MOD WARNING POST 61 and 726]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2017, 08:04 AM
  #101
lamp9post
Registered User
 
lamp9post's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Totally false of course. He played a great game. Yet, by the way, PK's mistake wasn't his tip. It's a tip. At high speed. There's nothing that he could have done to avoid hit. But his mistake was his pass that was impossible to get by his teamate and was intercepted. That was his mistake. Not the tip. But in the end, he did play a great hockey. And should have been used more on the PP especially in the first minutes of it.
The reason for the tip was that he wasn't properly covering the guy in front of the net so he had to deflect the pass otherwise risk a tap-in for the goal. PK was between a rock and a hard place on that play and (as evidenced by the result) he chose the worst of the two options he had available to him. And he put himself in that position with his bad first pass.

lamp9post is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 08:09 AM
  #102
sandviper
Registered User
 
sandviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The worst was the game-5 (might have been game 4) overtime versus the Rangers.

Shots were like 10-1 New York. It was awful. There was no way the Habs were winning that game.

The Habs just didn't show up.

Some people say the series came down to lucky bounces but ... the Habs needed 1 more lucky bounce to tie game 6, then another lucky bounce to win game 6, and then at least two lucky bounces to win game 7. So when you need four more lucky bounces to win the series, it's not just about lucky bounces.
Yeah, this was pretty much how I remembered it. Game 3 was the only game I felt we really had it in hand. Game 1, we stormed them and tried to run the Rags out of the building then we just completely deflated. Game 2 we won obviously, but it was looking pretty bleak until we tied it. Game 4 started well enough but then the Rags pretty much took over and I recall Hank didn't have to work too hard that night.

Game 5, 'nuff said. Rink was tilted second period onwards and especially OT. Game 6 played out like game 4.

I mean, it was close. We didn't get owned, but we didn't fight back. The Rags had the Sens in similar situations BUT the Sens fought back and won their games. I dunno, during the season we were pretty good coming back from behind but it felt like every time the Rags took a lead, it was done.

sandviper is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 08:12 AM
  #103
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
The reason for the tip was that he wasn't properly covering the guy in front of the net so he had to deflect the pass otherwise risk a tap-in for the goal. PK was between a rock and a hard place on that play and (as evidenced by the result) he chose the worst of the two options he had available to him. And he put himself in that position with his bad first pass.
Not surprising that Subban eventually made a mistake. He's a great player on a team with other great players but he is up against a worthy adversary: the Anaheim Ducks. They are a good team themselves with Getzlaf, Perry, Kessler, Vatanen, Vermette, Fowler, Lindholm, Gibson, etc. Given that this is a match of good team against good team, this might well be the most competitive hockey that Subban has played in his life.

A warrior like Subban, I bet he's having a ton of fun, learning, and even having dreams about hockey.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 08:17 AM
  #104
lamp9post
Registered User
 
lamp9post's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Not surprising that Subban eventually made a mistake. He's a great player on a team with other great players but he is up against a worthy adversary: the Anaheim Ducks. They are a good team themselves with Getzlaf, Perry, Kessler, Vatanen, Vermette, Fowler, Lindholm, Gibson, etc. Given that this is a match of good team against good team, this might well be the most competitive hockey that Subban has played in his life.

A warrior like Subban, I bet he's having a ton of fun, learning, and even having dreams about hockey.
I agree. Any defenseman who plays the number of minutes he does will make mistakes eventually.

lamp9post is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:14 AM
  #105
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,043
vCash: 500
The caps are out and the pens aren't healthy. This would have been a great chance for the Habs if they had any scoring in them.

donghabs98 is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:23 AM
  #106
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
The caps are out and the pens aren't healthy. This would have been a great chance for the Habs if they had any scoring in them.
Which people realized at the start of the playoffs. It was a relatively open path to the conference finals at a minimum.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:58 AM
  #107
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But Gibson is a freakin big question mark. Can be totally solid, but can be one of the worst in puck tracking.

And you wonder if the guy is there all the time....do you guys remember when he got and went to get his stick? I mean....wow....the Preds had the puck right there...

He plays a strong beer league game.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
  #108
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Which people realized at the start of the playoffs. It was a relatively open path to the conference finals at a minimum.
It was obvious before the trade deadline.

SB164 is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 03:34 PM
  #109
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
It was obvious before the trade deadline.
There's a marvelous contrast in how the Sens made themselves much better at the deadline by picking up the depth forwards they needed to fill holes, while the Habs mostly made themselves worse by building a 4th line that couldn't play hockey.


On the subject of the first round, I think it was basically a coin flip in terms of overall play and the coin fell on the New York side. That said, New York wasn't that strong a team and if Montreal potentially could have prepared themselves to have the margins in their favour rather than be equal to them. In particular, lack of offensive zone skill was an obvious issue and one that could be exploited by a team determined to turtle with a lead, something New York was built to do. None of the other teams in the divison were noticeably much better than Montreal and Montreal made a series of mistakes which prevented them from boosting their odds of winning as much as they could have.


Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 05-19-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:05 PM
  #110
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
There's a marvelous contrast in how the Sens made themselves much better at the deadline by picking up the depth forwards they needed to fill holes, while the Habs mostly made themselves worse by building a 4th line that couldn't play hockey.


On the subject of the first round, I think it was basically a coin flip in terms of overall play and the coin fell on the New York side. That said, New York wasn't that strong a team and if Montreal potentially could have prepared themselves to have the margins in their favour rather than be equal to them. In particular, lack of offensive zone skill was an obvious issue and one that could be exploited by a team determined to turtle with a lead, something New York was built to do. None of the other teams in the divison were noticeably much better than Montreal and Montreal made a series of mistakes which prevented them from boosting their odds of winning as much as they could have.
Stallberg has 2 points and Burrows has 5 wit no goals. I don't think Ottawa's amazing deadline is making the huge difference for them.

More like from 08-11 they drafted really well with guys like Pageau/Karlsson/Hoffman/Stone.

As far the NYR series look no further than Max and AG and the donuts they put up against the Rangers. If these guys are expected to lead the offense and they can't score 1 goal in 6 games it shouldn't be surprise the team sputtered.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:15 PM
  #111
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,730
vCash: 500
Per TSN690.. Johansen with a thigh injury. Out for the rest of the playoffs. Huge blow to the Preds.

Edit: Johansen had surgery on his leg last night.

sheed36 is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:19 PM
  #112
Harry22
GO HABS GO!
 
Harry22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Which people realized at the start of the playoffs. It was a relatively open path to the conference finals at a minimum.
Until the two best scorers on the team including the captain decided to lay a massive dump on the ice.

Harry22 is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:21 PM
  #113
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Stallberg has 2 points and Burrows has 5 wit no goals. I don't think Ottawa's amazing deadline is making the huge difference for them.

More like from 08-11 they drafted really well with guys like Pageau/Karlsson/Hoffman/Stone.

As far the NYR series look no further than Max and AG and the donuts they put up against the Rangers. If these guys are expected to lead the offense and they can't score 1 goal in 6 games it shouldn't be surprise the team sputtered.
Ottawa's bottom six was legit awful, Stallberg and Burrows are at least competent and that switch limited a huge weakness they had.

Max went cold, as he does since his game is as a volume shooter, either the shots from distance beat the goalie or they don't but that's how he's a 35 goal scorer.

Galchenyuk's puck skills were vitally needed and squandered. He should have been centering an offensive line from the start, not in desperation. When you have only two legit playmakers in Galchenyuk and Radulov, you can't waste one on the 4th line and later 3rd line wing.

Talks to Goalposts is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:28 PM
  #114
ArtPeur
#FireBiello
 
ArtPeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brossard
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Per TSN690.. Johansen with a thigh injury. Out for the rest of the playoffs. Huge blow to the Preds.

Edit: Johansen had surgery on his leg last night.

ArtPeur is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:28 PM
  #115
Gainesvillain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Per TSN690.. Johansen with a thigh injury. Out for the rest of the playoffs. Huge blow to the Preds.

Edit: Johansen had surgery on his leg last night.

Wow...I thought this was a hoax, but you're right. Per Elliotte Friedman:


https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC

Gainesvillain is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:30 PM
  #116
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
Day One
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 72,941
vCash: 500
Ottawa's actually going to win the cup, aren't they...

__________________
M.C.G. 31 is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:31 PM
  #117
ArtPeur
#FireBiello
 
ArtPeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brossard
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
Ottawa's actually going to win the cup, aren't they...
*add an asterisk to Ottawa's 2017 cup

ArtPeur is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:41 PM
  #118
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,406
vCash: 500
Damn that sucks for Johansen. Geez to think if Nashville gets by Anaheim Ottawa has a real chance to win it all.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:45 PM
  #119
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
Ottawa's actually going to win the cup, aren't they...
Nah, Anaheim probably will.

SB164 is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:49 PM
  #120
LaP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPeur View Post
If it's a well managed team they'll dress a kid and pray he can do the job. If they are badly managed like the ch they'll use their own version of Brian Flynn and lose the series.


Last edited by LaP: 05-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.
LaP is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:52 PM
  #121
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,111
vCash: 500
Preds are done!

Their center depth is as ****** as ours apart Johansen.

Belial is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:56 PM
  #122
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Preds are done!
Agreed.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:58 PM
  #123
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Agreed.
Their center depth is looking like Montreals with RyJo's injury. But they have Subban instead of Weber so they'll probably still win.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 04:59 PM
  #124
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
There's a marvelous contrast in how the Sens made themselves much better at the deadline by picking up the depth forwards they needed to fill holes, while the Habs mostly made themselves worse by building a 4th line that couldn't play hockey.


On the subject of the first round, I think it was basically a coin flip in terms of overall play and the coin fell on the New York side. That said, New York wasn't that strong a team and if Montreal potentially could have prepared themselves to have the margins in their favour rather than be equal to them. In particular, lack of offensive zone skill was an obvious issue and one that could be exploited by a team determined to turtle with a lead, something New York was built to do. None of the other teams in the divison were noticeably much better than Montreal and Montreal made a series of mistakes which prevented them from boosting their odds of winning as much as they could have.
This was the year to go all in. It was wide open at least to the Conference finals. The fact that we made the 'win it now' move with Weber, used Galchenyuk on the 3rd and benched Beau in the 7th game is inexcusable.

I don't care what anyone says, you can't go into the playoffs with Dannault as your number one. That was an absolute joke.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 05:01 PM
  #125
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPeur View Post
Killer loss.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.