HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr In Shootouts

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Jim Ramsay

vCash: 500
Jagr In Shootouts

I don't know if it's just me but I don't think Jagr should be in the shootouts. Prucha, Nylander, and Sykora all have been better than he has so far. He is 2 for 8 mostly because he always tries to deke out the goalies and makes one too many moves or misses the net. He has the nicest wristshot in the league, why doesn't he just let a wristshot rip like Jokinen did on Weekes last night? I wouldn't mind see him being the number 4 guy in the shootout (Straka sucks terribly in shootouts) but if he isn't going to hit the net with a move, why even use him?

Old
03-25-2006, 09:59 PM
nyr5186

I can't believe people are actually suggesting that Jagr, the most lethal offensive weapon in the game today and the soon-to-be record holder of almost every single-season Rangers scoring record, should be left out of the shootout. This is the league MVP we're talking about, the guy who's carried us all season. Despite his struggles in the shootout this year, if there's a game on the line, I want the puck on my best player's stick. End of story.

Now if you have a problem with Prucha not getting a chance, then I'm with you all the way. Nylander has become too predictable as of late. Use him as the 4th shooter next time.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186
I can't believe people are actually suggesting that Jagr, the most lethal offensive weapon in the game today and the soon-to-be record holder of almost every single-season Rangers scoring record, should be left out of the shootout. This is the league MVP we're talking about, the guy who's carried us all season. Despite his struggles in the shootout this year, if there's a game on the line, I want the puck on my best player's hands. End of story.

Now if you have a problem with Prucha not getting a chance, then I'm with you all the way. Nylander has become too predictable as of late. Use him as the 4th shooter next time.
Well said.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Jim Ramsay

I don't mind Jagr being in the shootout if he's going to score. You guys might disagree with me but I don't think Jagr is the kind of guy who is meant for shootouts. I think if he would just use his wristshot in them he would get a lot more goals, but everytime he goes he either misses the net or makes one too many moves and loses the puck or misses the net. Look at where most of Jagrs goals have been this year, there either from the point or from one of the faceoff circles on on one-timers or wristshots.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:07 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham
I don't mind Jagr being in the shootout if he's going to score. You guys might disagree with me but I don't think Jagr is the kind of guy who is meant for shootouts. I think if he would just use his wristshot in them he would get a lot more goals, but everytime he goes he either misses the net or makes one too many moves and loses the puck or misses the net. Look at where most of Jagrs goals have been this year, there either from the point or from one of the faceoff circles on on one-timers or wristshots.
By that logic, I dont mind Darius Kasparaitis being in the shootout, as long as I know he's going to score.

I agree with you that Jagr needs to shoot instead of trying to make the perfect set of dekes. In fact, I would be willing to put money on him shooting (and scoring) next time around.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:08 PM
The Dawg*

Quote:
By that logic, I dont mind Darius Kasparaitis being in the shootout, as long as I know he's going to score.

I agree with you that Jagr needs to shoot instead of trying to make the perfect set of dekes. In fact, I would be willing to put money on him shooting (and scoring) next time around.
yea i agree---wrister top corner

Old
03-25-2006, 10:10 PM
The Dawg*

the book is out on a lot of shooters. if nylander gets another opportunity, i say he skates right in and shoots right away just like jagr should. the goalie wont be expecting it. if you are gonna deke, you better get a shot off. it kills me to see 2 out of our 3 shooters not get a clean shot attempt in the shootout tonight

Old
03-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Jim Ramsay

lol Kasparaitis can't score if his life depended on it, but that's what I'm trying to say, if Jagr would just shoot it he will score. He has such a quick release it's almost impossible to stop that down low.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawg
the book is out on a lot of shooters. if nylander gets another opportunity, i say he skates right in and shoots right away just like jagr should. the goalie wont be expecting it. if you are gonna deke, you better get a shot off. it kills me to see 2 out of our 3 shooters not get a clean shot attempt in the shootout tonight

Fully agree on your take regarding Nylander, he should move in slowly like he usually does but then before even making a move just let a wrister go.
It will catch the goalie completely of guard.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Didnt we say exactly this last night? lol.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:28 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Fully agree on your take regarding Nylander, he should move in slowly like he usually does but then before even making a move just let a wrister go.
It will catch the goalie completely of guard.

Renney should use Prucha.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Pizza

You know it's just percentages. It will turn around at some point for JJ and the SO. He's just too good to keep getting denied for too much longer.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Pizza

.......but your right Prucha should be in there.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept of a player of Jagr's caliber not being good in shootouts. There are lots of good shooters in basketball who shoot below-average from the lines, lots of strikers in soccer that struggle on PKs, and lots of quarterbacks with great arms who are astonishingly inconsistent on short passes. So I don't think it's so ridiculous to suggest a gifted forward may not be particularly suited to shootouts.

That being said, Jagr has only taken 8 shots, and has been solid on PSs his entire career. He'll be fine.

Old
03-26-2006, 01:45 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by midclasscasualty
I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept of a player of Jagr's caliber not being good in shootouts. There are lots of good shooters in basketball who shoot below-average from the lines, lots of strikers in soccer that struggle on PKs, and lots of quarterbacks with great arms who are astonishingly inconsistent on short passes. So I don't think it's so ridiculous to suggest a gifted forward may not be particularly suited to shootouts.

That being said, Jagr has only taken 8 shots, and has been solid on PSs his entire career. He'll be fine.
interesting and insightful perspective

Old
03-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Block More Shots

Sykora will become predictable soon too...he's already become predictable because Grahame flashed his glove up like he knew it was coming.

He's got a great backhand shot in the shootout but solid goaltenders will catch on easily and get their glove up in time.

Jagr isn't the best in shootouts but he's a lock no matter what. He could be 0 for 16 and still be in the shootout. I like Nylander in the shootout and he scores more times than none.

My lineup would be in this order: Nylander, Prucha (or Sykora for the time being...once goalies start to catch onto the same move and save him every time, put Prucha in his spot), and then Jagr 3rd. Straka isn't the best shooter to put in but at least he gets a shot off. I can live with players taking shots and getting saved on but not dekeing twice and the puck sliding off your blade.

Old
03-26-2006, 04:09 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LundmarkFan
Sykora will become predictable soon too...he's already become predictable because Grahame flashed his glove up like he knew it was coming.

He's got a great backhand shot in the shootout but solid goaltenders will catch on easily and get their glove up in time.

Jagr isn't the best in shootouts but he's a lock no matter what. He could be 0 for 16 and still be in the shootout. I like Nylander in the shootout and he scores more times than none.

My lineup would be in this order: Nylander, Prucha (or Sykora for the time being...once goalies start to catch onto the same move and save him every time, put Prucha in his spot), and then Jagr 3rd. Straka isn't the best shooter to put in but at least he gets a shot off. I can live with players taking shots and getting saved on but not dekeing twice and the puck sliding off your blade.
I agree with you on Sykora, however, I still would use him in the SO.

1 Nylander
2 Prucha
3 Sykora
4 Jagr
5 Malik

Old
03-26-2006, 09:10 AM
shoothepuck

Shootouts are not the way to end hockey games, but they are better than a tie. NY needs to learn to win in regulation, or OT, and not let it get to the SO. Renney should go with his hot players of the game first, and again, it's luck of the draw, you hope you score, but like breakaways and penalty shots, goalies come up big and win games. The shooters have to hit the net and deke less.

Old
03-26-2006, 10:26 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
sykora needs to find a new move. only coaching staff's on the pee wee level wont scout and tell their goaltender the move he is going to do.

Old
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham
I don't know if it's just me but I don't think Jagr should be in the shootouts. Prucha, Nylander, and Sykora all have been better than he has so far. He is 2 for 8 mostly because he always tries to deke out the goalies and makes one too many moves or misses the net. He has the nicest wristshot in the league, why doesn't he just let a wristshot rip like Jokinen did on Weekes last night? I wouldn't mind see him being the number 4 guy in the shootout (Straka sucks terribly in shootouts) but if he isn't going to hit the net with a move, why even use him?

Old
03-26-2006, 12:38 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
I can't believe people are actually suggesting that Jagr, the most lethal offensive weapon in the game today and the soon-to-be record holder of almost every single-season Rangers scoring record, should be left out of the shootout. This is the league MVP we're talking about, the guy who's carried us all season. Despite his struggles in the shootout this year, if there's a game on the line, I want the puck on my best player's stick. End of story.

Regular play and shootouts are much different. Jagr is the most lethal offensive weapon during regular play. But it the shootouts, he's clearly not.

Prucha and Sykora should definately shoot. Nylander and Jagr should shoot 3rd and 4th.

Old
03-26-2006, 02:18 PM
The Dawg*

jagr isnt going to be benched in the SO. No chance. i bet next time he will finally use his world calss wrister and score. i am not suggesting he is a top 3 guy in shootouts on this team cause right now hes not. IF renney wants to think about not putting him in, he'll sit down and talk with him out of respect and ask him what jags thinks.

Old
03-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
sykora needs to find a new move. only coaching staff's on the pee wee level wont scout and tell their goaltender the move he is going to do.
Actually, Coach Bombay, Coach of Team USA 12 year old Olympic team knew that the triple deke was coming and told The Cat Gaffney to be ready for it.

Old
03-26-2006, 02:29 PM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Actually, Coach Bombay, Coach of Team USA 12 year old Olympic team knew that the triple deke was coming and told The Cat Gaffney to be ready for it.

Old
03-26-2006, 03:06 PM
robertch

Nylander
Sykora
Prucha
Jagr
Straka
Ozolinsh

Closed Thread