HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr In Shootouts

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2006, 04:36 PM
NYR94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
This is why I don't like the shootout. The league's best player this season, who is dominating regular play, has been a poor shootout performer. But I do agree that Jagr should just skate in, pick a corner, and let it rip.

Old
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
BigE

I didn't bother to read whether anyone else picked this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was missed:

He's had to switch his stick ever since that illegal stick SO debacle. He's not using the same stick he's scored 51 goals with - that is the problem.

Old
03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Actually, Coach Bombay, Coach of Team USA 12 year old Olympic team knew that the triple deke was coming and told The Cat Gaffney to be ready for it.
i stand corrected although bombay considered a triple deek to be making a couple of dekes at the blue line, stopping and taking a slap shot ala steve laermer.

Old
03-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Fletch

That's part of it, BigE...

although he is 2 for 6 prior to the illegal stick debacle. Any idea if he was using the 'illegal' stick previously.

Perhaps Jagr's just not a shootout kind of guy, and prefers to have a couple guys draping over him. Should make it a 1-on-2. I think he'd do well in that.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
RedK

Jagr's two biggest plusses are his power and his "puck's eye view" when shooting. When there's traffic in the zone, he knows where the holes are from the puck's view, and he knows where the holes are around the net. He adjusts this automatically at speed and with his rink awareness, he is able to get ahead and around the goalie and get the puck there quickly. In a shootout, the speed and puck's eye view is a lot less critical. The goalie can see what you are doing the entire way and adjust. I'm not saying Jagr isn't subtle enough to fool the goalie one-on-one. Just that there's a lot of game tape on what he does, and goalies are going to study that before a game. Given a moment to compose their minds and remember the book on him, they will be more likely to read him and make the stop when there is nothing else distracting them.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Its a PP Goal

There's no one else I'd rather have in the shootout than Jagr and Prucha.

I think the problem is, we're judging him on a small sample size. Given 30, 40 or 50 shootouts he may score more than anyone else on the team. We've seen him in less than 10 this year.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth
There's no one else I'd rather have in the shootout than Jagr and Prucha.

I don't know, Sykora has been pretty good.

03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I don't know, Sykora has been pretty good.
He's a good pick too. I love his hands and his backhand move. Tried that and Malik's move the other day and I can't do it for the life of me...must be getting old.

At least they're making Jagr shoot first now. The order makes a big difference too. I'd like to see a sniper-type go first to set up a deker, works at the rink anyway.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
although he is 2 for 6 prior to the illegal stick debacle. Any idea if he was using the 'illegal' stick previously.

Perhaps Jagr's just not a shootout kind of guy, and prefers to have a couple guys draping over him. Should make it a 1-on-2. I think he'd do well in that.
Don't forget the broken stick in the Isles SO, and I thought it was 2 for 5 at that point, which kind of makes it 2 for 4.

Good point, Truth, easy to tell you've taken some statistics courses.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Fletch

Forgot the broken stick...

all I know is he's 2 for 8 now. I only did the simple math of subtracting the last two shootouts, figuring he was 2 for 6 prior to the debacle (2 for 5 taking out the broken stick). I'm actually surprised at his scoring rate as I thought earlier in the season he was quite good.

I too agree with Truth. In that same vein, I had a sense that Sykora wouldn't be able to do the same move again to score a goal - he wasn't going to go 100% as a Ranger, unfortunately.

Old
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Regular play and shootouts are much different. Jagr is the most lethal offensive weapon during regular play. But it the shootouts, he's clearly not.

Prucha and Sykora should definately shoot. Nylander and Jagr should shoot 3rd and 4th.
I agree..I say..

Prucha
Sykora
Jagr
Nylander
Ozolinsh

Old
03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
BigE

I wouldn't put Ozolinsh ahead of Straka.

Old
03-27-2006, 10:45 PM
BigE

Did anyone hear what JD said about Dallas?

11-0 in SO. Jussi Jokinen, I want him on this team!

Old
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I cant grasp the fact that Sykora scored tonight with that backhand move. I knew he was gonna do it, most people on here knew it. I bet both the Rangers and Sabres knew it. I talked to my friend who was at the game after the game and he said Grier went over to Miller...$10 bucks says he told him about his move. Im happy, dont get me wrong, but i just dont know how much longer he can keep using that move.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:59 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Don't forget the broken stick in the Isles SO, and I thought it was 2 for 5 at that point, which kind of makes it 2 for 4.

Good point, Truth, easy to tell you've taken some statistics courses.
one of his shootout goals this year was a fluke. he whiffed on it but it managed to trickle in. the other was against buffalo in which he fooled the goalie. however, i recall him hitting the post on a SO once and then breakin his stick against aslanders

Old
03-28-2006, 01:01 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
I cant grasp the fact that Sykora scored tonight with that backhand move. I knew he was gonna do it, most people on here knew it. I bet both the Rangers and Sabres knew it. I talked to my friend who was at the game after the game and he said Grier went over to Miller...$10 bucks says he told him about his move. Im happy, dont get me wrong, but i just dont know how much longer he can keep using that move.
jussi jokinen does the same 2 moves every time. but i agree, how much longer will it work?

Closed Thread