HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter warming up?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2006, 09:50 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

vCash: 500
Carter warming up?

Looks like Jeff Carter is starting to get his touch back. Earlier on in the year he seemed to be shooting at the goalie. Now he's picking the openings with that hard quick release Umberger has been a nice compliment. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 35.

Old
03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
dancingtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlyerphan
Looks like Jeff Carter is starting to get his touch back. Earlier on in the year he seemed to be shooting at the goalie. Now he's picking the openings with that hard quick release Umberger has been a nice compliment. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 35.
The only thing holding him back from that is his 10 minutes of ice time per game. Hopefully Carter will get more next year.

Old
03-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Lupul*

He seems to be having a lot of fun out there with Umberger. I'd like to see him have a breakout year next season.

Old
03-19-2006, 10:59 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
well and how he was recovering from mono and he had lost like 25 pounds(not sure how much but it was a lot)

Old
03-19-2006, 11:59 AM
TheKingPin

I really like that lin with RJ and Dimitrakos. They have energy and all of them have tremendous upside meaing they can explode for a few games every now and then. Next few years that upside is going to be reality and we will have an awesome team.

Nice job drafting staff

Old
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
donelikedinner

all he needs are solid minutes and he will produce solid numbers

Old
03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

JC is the man lately, and will be for years to come. I think it all has to do with losing his first tooth.

Old
03-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Gags1288

The kid has one of the best shots I've ever seen. I can't remember a player in a Flyers uni within the last 15 years that had the release and the power on their wrist shot that Jeff has. As the kid gets a bit stronger and a bit more accustomed to the NHL game, he's going to light the NHL up in the goal scoring category. I know this may be bold, but I think he'll be a better goal scorer then Gagne within 3 years.

Old
03-19-2006, 04:06 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

It looks/sounds as though he's finally getting used to having linemates that can keep up with him... For years in junior, he WAS the offense for his team, so it's not surprising that he doesn't pass much.

Here's hoping he's catching fire - the timing couldn't be better!

Old
03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
MojoJojo

He had a slow start the first month. His production and play have been excellent all season long when you consider the ***** sandwich Hitch has been giving him for icetime and linemates.

Old
03-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
I can't remember a player in a Flyers uni within the last 15 years that had the release and the power on their wrist shot that Jeff has.
Brendl.

Old
03-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
The kid has one of the best shots I've ever seen. I can't remember a player in a Flyers uni within the last 15 years that had the release and the power on their wrist shot that Jeff has. As the kid gets a bit stronger and a bit more accustomed to the NHL game, he's going to light the NHL up in the goal scoring category. I know this may be bold, but I think he'll be a better goal scorer then Gagne within 3 years.
i don't think it's that bold... Carter definitely has better pure offensive ability than Gagne, and was/is projected to be a front-line scorer.

Old
03-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
Brendl.
No, I don't think so. Brendl had a very nice offensive arsenal, but not the pure wrist shot that Jeff has. The quickness of his release and the power of his wrist shot if very similar to that of Sakic's and it's been deadly accurate the last week. I envision this kid being a 50 goal scorer in the league, he's just got a bucket's load of talent.

Old
03-21-2006, 08:52 PM
mikedifr

[QUOTE=Gags1288]The kid has one of the best shots I've ever seen. I can't remember a player in a Flyers uni within the last 15 years that had the release and the power on their wrist shot that Jeff has. QUOTE]

Eric Lindros

Old
03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Eric Lindros
Big E was more of a disher and playmaker than a sniper.

Old
03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Big E was more of a disher and playmaker than a sniper.
He still had one hell of a shot though. I'll even give Big Baby b!itch cakes that. His shot was one in a million and he didn't use it enough.

Old
03-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
all he needs are solid minutes and he will produce solid numbers
Love the avatar.

Old
03-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i don't think it's that bold... Carter definitely has better pure offensive ability than Gagne, and was/is projected to be a front-line scorer.
Surely you jest, Jester.

Gagne is a better skater, better on one on ones and has a more accurate shot.

While I think Carter will be a perenial 30 goal guy, he is no super dynamo offensive player with flair. He has good speed and a heavy shot (which needs a little improvment on the accuracy).

Old
03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Surely you jest, Jester.

While I think Carter will be a perenial 30 goal guy, he is no super dynamo offensive player with flair. He has good speed and a heavy shot (which needs a little improvment on the accuracy).

Carter is a faster skater than gagne and he will become a really good playmaker and solid goal scorer. In the 40 goal range especially with the crackdown on obstruction.

Old
03-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Banger

I see Gagne and Carter being very similar players. Both are pure scorers more than they are play makers, both have good speed and have a solid all around game. I like Carters upside due to the combination of his size, speed (size is something that Gags doesn't have) and outstanding wrist shot.

Carter is on his way. He has all the tools but just needs to keep gaining confidence in his game and in the offseason he needs to put some bulk on his frame.

Old
03-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Surely you jest, Jester.

Gagne is a better skater, yes... but he doesn't have the pure offensive ability that Carter has, it's just that simple. Gagne is my favorite player on the team, by far and away, but he was never expected to be the offensive presence he has become at the NHL level.

As far as the bold, I would argue that Carter might have the best wrist shot on this team RIGHT NOW... and that's before you even think about him developing it over the next few years. His problem is that he's still learning how to create that shot chance at the NHL level, but give him a couple of years and I think he will be much better at getting his shot off than Gagne is... You rarely see Gagne go around anyone with a move, he's generally just burning people with speed... Carter has a bit more slipperyness to his game, and that will continue to develop.

You can come back to this debate 4 years from now, but by then I expect Carter to be the better goal scorer of the two. Gagne will still be the better two-way player of the two, which is something to brag about in and of itself.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
Carter is a faster skater than gagne and he will become a really good playmaker and solid goal scorer. In the 40 goal range especially with the crackdown on obstruction.
Carter is not faster then Gagne...

I am not knocking Carter at all but he does not even belong in the same breath yet.

Like I said he has a hard shot but needs to work on the accuracy before I anoit him the next Tim Kerr.

If you remember Gagne in juniors he had just as much if not more offensive potential then Carter.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Carter is not faster then Gagne...

I am not knocking Carter at all but he does not even belong in the same breath yet.

Like I said he has a hard shot but needs to work on the accuracy before I anoit him the next Tim Kerr.

If you remember Gagne in juniors he had just as much if not more offensive potential then Carter.
Gagne misses the net high and wide with about a half of his shots...

Old
03-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Gagne is a better skater, yes... but he doesn't have the pure offensive ability that Carter has, it's just that simple. Gagne is my favorite player on the team, by far and away, but he was never expected to be the offensive presence he has become at the NHL level.

As far as the bold, I would argue that Carter might have the best wrist shot on this team RIGHT NOW... and that's before you even think about him developing it over the next few years. His problem is that he's still learning how to create that shot chance at the NHL level, but give him a couple of years and I think he will be much better at getting his shot off than Gagne is... You rarely see Gagne go around anyone with a move, he's generally just burning people with speed... Carter has a bit more slipperyness to his game, and that will continue to develop.

You can come back to this debate 4 years from now, but by then I expect Carter to be the better goal scorer of the two. Gagne will still be the better two-way player of the two, which is something to brag about in and of itself.
Carter does have a really hard shot but needs to improve on the accuracy...you are right that will come with time (accuracy and shot selection).

But Gagne has the quickest release on the Flyers and probably top 5 in the league.

Old
03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Gagne misses the net high and wide with about a half of his shots...
Agreed he and Carter are in the same boat...they always look for the shot first.

Closed Thread