HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Advocate

vCash: 500
Gaborik

I was wondering why doesn't Lowe trade up for once. Instead of getting a coupl players for Comrie, why doesn't Lowe try to trade a couple oilers for one eite player, like Gaborik.

I was think something like Comrie + Dvorak for Gaborik.

We wouldn't be adding much salary, and I think 4 million a year for three years is a very afforadable price for Gaborik.

Thoughts????

Old
10-28-2003, 06:55 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate
I was wondering why doesn't Lowe trade up for once. Instead of getting a coupl players for Comrie, why doesn't Lowe try to trade a couple oilers for one eite player, like Gaborik.

I was think something like Comrie + Dvorak for Gaborik.

We wouldn't be adding much salary, and I think 4 million a year for three years is a very afforadable price for Gaborik.

Thoughts????
It's beginning to look like Comrie wants about $4M. If the Wild won't pay Gaborik I don't think they'll pay about the same for Comrie and have to pay Dvorak too.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:01 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
It's beginning to look like Comrie wants about $4M. If the Wild won't pay Gaborik I don't think they'll pay about the same for Comrie and have to pay Dvorak too.
Comrie isn't looking for four million at all. They said he wanted a base of about 2.5 + bonuses. I'm pretty sure he'd sign for 2 wit bonuses that could get him to 3 million.
I thinkn something like:
Comrie, Chimera, Pisani, second
for
Gaborik

would that be suitable. I think it would definately help both teams! Gabs isn't the center we need, but he's a great player and him and Hemsky on a line with Smyth or Reasoner centering them would be as scary as just about any other line in the NHL (Avs excluded).

Old
10-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Hemmer

Honestly, if I was going to pull a blockbuster, I would be trying harder to get Bouwmeester out of FLA than Gabs out of Minny. I'm not sold on Brew yet, and having another potential #1 who can skate like Coffey would be terrific. But, why are we kidding ourselves? Neither is going anywhere :p

Old
10-28-2003, 07:52 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Honestly, if I was going to pull a blockbuster, I would be trying harder to get Bouwmeester out of FLA than Gabs out of Minny. I'm not sold on Brew yet, and having another potential #1 who can skate like Coffey would be terrific. But, why are we kidding ourselves? Neither is going anywhere :p
There is absolutely no reason for the Panthers to deal J.B.
There is a bit of a reason for the Wild to trade Gabs

Old
10-28-2003, 08:07 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I read somewhere that Gaborik's agent was looking for something like $6.5 million a year, and rejected a $3.5 million plus bonus deal.

If Brewer continues his poor play, I'd like to see a Comrie + Brewer + Salo for the #1 overall pick + defense prospect.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:15 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
I read somewhere that Gaborik's agent was looking for something like $6.5 million a year, and rejected a $3.5 million plus bonus deal.

If Brewer continues his poor play, I'd like to see a Comrie + Brewer + Salo for the #1 overall pick + defense prospect.
Gaborik said he was willing to take what he was payed in total last year, which I'm 95% sure is just over 4/year.

Why are you so down on Brewer? you and other posters believe that because he hasn't played good in his first eight games that all of a sudden he's a bust and the organization should get rid of him while they still can, and all that crap. Don't hold your breath on a Brewer trade!

Old
10-28-2003, 08:27 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Gaborik said he was willing to take what he was payed in total last year, which I'm 95% sure is just over 4/year.

Why are you so down on Brewer? you and other posters believe that because he hasn't played good in his first eight games that all of a sudden he's a bust and the organization should get rid of him while they still can, and all that crap. Don't hold your breath on a Brewer trade!
I'm not really down on Brewer...I was actually thinking that this could be his breakout year. I was saying that if his poor play lasts the whole season then we should trade him while he still has value. I really want to see the Oilers make a move for the #1 overall (seeing how the past few top picks have become awesome players) and I think they would need to overpay for it.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:34 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Comrie isn't looking for four million at all. They said he wanted a base of about 2.5 + bonuses.
I've seen the $4M figure several times in the last few days, most recently towards the bottom of this Journal article

Old
10-28-2003, 08:37 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
I'm not really down on Brewer...I was actually thinking that this could be his breakout year. I was saying that if his poor play lasts the whole season then we should trade him while he still has value. I really want to see the Oilers make a move for the #1 overall (seeing how the past few top picks have become awesome players) and I think they would need to overpay for it.
Well Brewer SHOULD be expected to turn it around. I completely expect him to - I expect a career year from him. This kid is trying - but there is ALOT of pressure on him and perhaps once he settles into the his roll as "the man" then his play will improve.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:41 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Defense?

SO - after Semenov plays a real good game, and did everything the coaching staff asked, what happens? Bergeron doesn't deserve to sit any longer. You can't possible seriously consider sitting out Semenov after his performance Saturday (nice to see MacT finaly realized that Semenovs shot from the point SHOULD be used on the powerplay to create something)! For me Fergy is the most sitable player. He has played good - everything you can ask from him, but we have two kids who are deserving of the ice time! IMO one of Smith or Ferguson should be delt, as that would free up the space for the two young kids and we would still have Luoma as our seventh Dman. These are what I'd like to see on Thrusday:
Staios-Brewer
Smith-Bergeron
Semenov-Cross

Old
10-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

RW- Marion Gaborik (approx 4.5 mil)
D- Willie Mitchell (approx 1.35 mil)

for

C- Mike Comrie (approx 2.5)
D- Jason Smith (2.3 mil)
W/C- Jason Chimera (.5 mil) or
RW- Fernando Pisani (.85 mil)
2nd Rounder

Willie Mitchell is a younger Jason Smith, at 26, he uses his size, and has more offensive upside. I don't think they would trade him under normal circumstances, but to deal Gabby, they might oblidge.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:49 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
I've seen the $4M figure several times in the last few days, most recently towards the bottom of this Journal article

What is printed ta the bottom of the Journal article is almost word for word the same thing that is written at Spector's and that was taken directly from an article in Florida (I think).

I think what was written boils down to lazy reporting.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Camp Gabby started negotiating from 6.5 million a year, but have since lowered their demands roughly 2 million.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:51 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
SO - after Semenov plays a real good game, and did everything the coaching staff asked, what happens? Bergeron doesn't deserve to sit any longer. You can't possible seriously consider sitting out Semenov after his performance Saturday (nice to see MacT finaly realized that Semenovs shot from the point SHOULD be used on the powerplay to create something)! For me Fergy is the most sitable player. He has played good - everything you can ask from him, but we have two kids who are deserving of the ice time! IMO one of Smith or Ferguson should be delt, as that would free up the space for the two young kids and we would still have Luoma as our seventh Dman. These are what I'd like to see on Thrusday:
Staios-Brewer
Smith-Bergeron
Semenov-Cross
Well Cross is day to day with a shoulder injury so I imagine Bergy may draw in for him.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:37 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Staios-Brewer
Smith-Bergeron
Semenov-Cross
I can't beleive all of you are like "Finally Mac-T listens to us and puts Semenov on the point to use his shot..."

Guys, he handles the puck like a hand grenade out there. Yeah he has a great shot, but there is more to being on the power play than a big shot. He is absolutely perfect on the 5 on 3, but you really have to pick your spots on the 5 on 4.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:40 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I can't beleive all of you are like "Finally Mac-T listens to us and puts Semenov on the point to use his shot..."

Guys, he handles the puck like a hand grenade out there. Yeah he has a great shot, but there is more to being on the power play than a big shot. He is absolutely perfect on the 5 on 3, but you really have to pick your spots on the 5 on 4.
He isn't as bad of a puck handler as what you are trying to say. He moves the puck good enough to put him out there for his shot. His shot gives the Oiler what they haven't had on the point since they traded Hamrlik - and thats one of the reasons the PP has been brutal.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:44 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
He isn't as bad of a puck handler as what you are trying to say. He moves the puck good enough to put him out there for his shot. His shot gives the Oiler what they haven't had on the point since they traded Hamrlik - and thats one of the reasons the PP has been brutal.
Yes he is. He has never been particularily good at receving a pass at the blueline, and it is compounded when he is trying to move at the same time.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Digger12

Quote:

The thing that scares me about Semi on the PP point isn't so much his stickhandling (can't be much worse than Cross), it's his shot accuracy when he really tries to rip it.

Would you want to be Ryan Smyth in front of the net when Semenov loads it up? That shot which nearly took McLennan's head off and broke the glass was fricking scary.

If McLennan took that in the head, he'd still be horizontal.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:53 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The thing that scares me about Semi on the PP point isn't so much his stickhandling (can't be much worse than Cross), it's his shot accuracy when he really tries to rip it.

Would you want to be Ryan Smyth in front of the net when Semenov loads it up? That shot which nearly took McLennan's head off and broke the glass was fricking scary.

If McLennan took that in the head, he'd still be horizontal.
Notice how McLennan pretty much decided that he was just going to pray it was to high? He completely ducked out of the way, and when the puck is going that hard from that angle you don't know where it is. Can't say I blame him - I wouldn't be ducking - I'd be running away if i was the goalie and saw him winding up.

And yes I know his shot accuracy isn't the greatest - but he gets it close enough to the net, even if he misses, that can cause a scramble after words and lead to breakdowns.

IMO we have NOTHING to lose by keeping him on the blueline on the powerplay. Nothing else has worked, why not give him a long chance there.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:57 AM
dawgbone

Actually, when Semenov wants to, he can be pretty accurate with his shot.

The first shot on McLennan was because he had a clear lane and he tried to beat him up high... once you fire a slapshot that hard, and put it high, you don't know where it is going to go.

In the second period, he had I think 3 shots on the power play, one went in, and the other 2 were right on the ice. He doesn't just fire it and not know where it is going. When he keeps the puck low, he needs to take a little off of it, but he is pretty good at hitting the net.

It's when he has a clear shooting lane that messes him up (because he tries to blow it past the goaltender, when he doesn't really need to.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie

for

D- Jason Smith (2.3 mil)
W/C- Jason Chimera (.5 mil) or
RW- Fernando Pisani (.85 mil)
2nd Rounder

Willie Mitchell is a younger Jason Smith, at 26, he uses his size, and has more offensive upside. I don't think they would trade him under normal circumstances, but to deal Gabby, they might oblidge.

Hmmm.... not bad, not bad at all.
But I don't see the Oilers wanting to move two players as cheap as Pisani and Chimera. How about this?

2nd round pick

for

D- Jason Smith (2.3 mil)
LW - Brad Isbister (1.9 Mill)

While Minny might balk at adding so much payroll, they would have to realize that this trade would improve them immediately by giving them a new #1 line as Comrie is better than Dowd, Hendrickson and Walz and Isbister is probably better than PM-Bouchard etc.

The risk is that Izzy becomes the super power forward that he's supposed to be and that Comrie blossoms in Minny. Edmonton is left with one super rich super star Right Winger (Gaborik) meaning Hemsky or Dvorak might have to switch to a different position.

Say...
Smyth - York - Gaborik
Dvorak - Reasoner - Hemsky
Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani
Chimera/Torres - Stoll - Laraques

Brewer - Cross
Staios - Mitchell
Semenov - Bergeron
Ferguson

This STILL leaves us with a problem of who's our #1 defenseman?

Old
10-28-2003, 10:00 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually, when Semenov wants to, he can be pretty accurate with his shot.

The first shot on McLennan was because he had a clear lane and he tried to beat him up high... once you fire a slapshot that hard, and put it high, you don't know where it is going to go.

In the second period, he had I think 3 shots on the power play, one went in, and the other 2 were right on the ice. He doesn't just fire it and not know where it is going. When he keeps the puck low, he needs to take a little off of it, but he is pretty good at hitting the net.

It's when he has a clear shooting lane that messes him up (because he tries to blow it past the goaltender, when he doesn't really need to.
Yes, that is an excellent assesment. I think that is a commen thing that you will see from young guys with bullets.

IMO Semenovs shot, which is probably now the hardest in the NHL, makes up for average puck handling skills. just MO. But like I said, we have tried everything else, why not let him have a go.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:02 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Hmmm.... not bad, not bad at all.
But I don't see the Oilers wanting to move two players as cheap as Pisani and Chimera. How about this?

2nd round pick

for

D- Jason Smith (2.3 mil)
LW - Brad Isbister (1.9 Mill)

While Minny might balk at adding so much payroll, they would have to realize that this trade would improve them immediately by giving them a new #1 line as Comrie is better than Dowd, Hendrickson and Walz and Isbister is probably better than PM-Bouchard etc.

The risk is that Izzy becomes the super power forward that he's supposed to be and that Comrie blossoms in Minny. Edmonton is left with one super rich super star Right Winger (Gaborik) meaning Hemsky or Dvorak might have to switch to a different position.

Say...
Smyth - York - Gaborik
Dvorak - Reasoner - Hemsky
Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani
Chimera/Torres - Stoll - Laraques

Brewer - Cross
Staios - Mitchell
Semenov - Bergeron
Ferguson

This STILL leaves us with a problem of who's our #1 defenseman?
Gabs can play Left wing. He's probably more of a scoring threat (less of a passing threat) from the left side from what I've seen. Him and Hemsky on a line with Smyth centering them would, for my money, be the best line the OIlers have had since Guerin, Weight and Smyth were absolutely dominating before Billy G. was traded.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:41 AM
jofa

God, it would be incredible to get Gaborik on the Oilers. I know Lowe has always been interested in Gaborik, as he was apparently trying to trade up in the draft that year in order to pick him. What it would take is another question, but Gabby has a ton of potential and could be the scoring winger to complement the playmaking winger we already have.

I love it. Can I order my Gaborik Oilers jersey yet?

Closed Thread