HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2003, 11:09 AM
  #26
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
God, it would be incredible to get Gaborik on the Oilers. I know Lowe has always been interested in Gaborik, as he was apparently trying to trade up in the draft that year in order to pick him. What it would take is another question, but Gabby has a ton of potential and could be the scoring winger to complement the playmaking winger we already have.

I love it. Can I order my Gaborik Oilers jersey yet?
and Lowe is going to throw away his monetary principles in a CBA negotiation year and sign Gaborik because?

 
Old
10-28-2003, 11:20 AM
  #27
jofa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
and Lowe is going to throw away his monetary principles in a CBA negotiation year and sign Gaborik because?
What's the difference between paying Comrie $4 million and Gaborik $4 million? Locking up Gaborik to a multi-year contract at $4 million isn't exactly a bad deal. The Oilers have cut a lot of salary lately, and could feasibly take on Gaborik's contract. Winning might be nice as well...

jofa is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 11:29 AM
  #28
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
What's the difference between paying Comrie $4 million and Gaborik $4 million? Locking up Gaborik to a multi-year contract at $4 million isn't exactly a bad deal. The Oilers have cut a lot of salary lately, and could feasibly take on Gaborik's contract. Winning might be nice as well...
I am a Gaborik fan and would love to see him in an Oiler uniform. I'd even trade Comrie to get him and that's a big admission for me. But Lowe isn't going to pay Comrie $4M because he doesn't have to according to the CBA. If Lowe sticks to his principles he won't pay that to Gaborik either since Gaborik and Comrie are in equivalent positions.

 
Old
10-28-2003, 03:18 PM
  #29
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
I'm all for trying to get Gaborik. It makes sense if he's not too expensive. Also, can anyone else picture Comrie in Minny? No harm in dumping him there huh? Comrie playing a defensive-first, team oriented system. Ha!

Hairball is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:09 PM
  #30
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
If we could get Gaborik in some reasonable deal that included Comrie the Canucks' fans would be firstly, green with envy, then paled with anxiety. He, on many occassions, has almost singlehandedly been a Canucks' game killer.

OYLer is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
  #31
nikeisevil
Registered User
 
nikeisevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Hmm...

To Min:

Comrie + Rita

To Edmonton:

Gaborik


...and only if we could sign Gaborik. What's reasonable?

How about 3 years @ 3.5 Million + bonuses that could pump it up 1 million more?

nikeisevil is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 05:01 PM
  #32
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
pipedream

Sorry but I cannot see this one happening either. Allegedly, Gaborik has come down in asking price to just over $4 million a season. Way too rich for us, considering Ryan Smyth is our highest at about $4 million as well I think. I am pretty sure that Comrie would not be enough either; Gaborik is their golden boy and about the only consistent offensive threat. Nice thought, and from a lifelong Oiler fan's perspective, a great deal but it would probably never happen (without losing half the team to get / afford him).

Shizuka is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 05:05 PM
  #33
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Hmm...

To Min:

Comrie + Rita

To Edmonton:

Gaborik


...and only if we could sign Gaborik. What's reasonable?

How about 3 years @ 3.5 Million + bonuses that could pump it up 1 million more?
I think if you were to add Isbister to that deal and like a third coming to us it maybe more realistic. I dunno.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 05:32 PM
  #34
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
were not even getting a sniff at Gabo without giving up a 1st rounder next year in addition to Comrie and another decent warm body (not rita, someone proven)

windowlicker is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:34 AM
  #35
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Hmm...

To Min:

Comrie + Rita

To Edmonton:

Gaborik


...and only if we could sign Gaborik. What's reasonable?

How about 3 years @ 3.5 Million + bonuses that could pump it up 1 million more?
windowlicker is probably right.

How about

To Min:

Comrie + Isbister + 3rd pick

Edmonton:

Gaborik + 2nd pick



Comrie (1.0 million plus $3million bonuses?) and Issy ($1.9 million) combined is almost worth the $5-6 million that Gaborik is looking for. Someone mentioned that he could play LW, wow... what a scary top two lines!


Gaborik - Smyth - Hemsky
York - Reasoner - Dvorak

scary!

Master Lok is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 11:14 AM
  #36
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
I can't imagine Lowe trying to bring Gaborik in but I figure this thread is as good a place as any to ask my question.

For some of the rumours out there, both in the press or just banter in places like this, there have been a couple of multi-player deals mentioned.

Does anyone know if there has been any scouting activity here in Edmonton or in Toronto by potential trade partners that would be considered outside the norm?

If Lowe is currently talking any deals that would include Comrie and a roster player, again here or in T.O., wouldn't there be some scouting activity going on that guys in the loop should be picking up on? Or is Lowe simply looking at a "Comrie for" deal?

copperandblue is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 05:47 PM
  #37
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
windowlicker is probably right.

How about

To Min:

Comrie + Isbister + 3rd pick

Edmonton:

Gaborik + 2nd pick



Comrie (1.0 million plus $3million bonuses?) and Issy ($1.9 million) combined is almost worth the $5-6 million that Gaborik is looking for. Someone mentioned that he could play LW, wow... what a scary top two lines!


Gaborik - Smyth - Hemsky
York - Reasoner - Dvorak

scary!
with top 2 lines like that, wed actually compete with the nucks, now Thats scary.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 07:30 PM
  #38
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
with top 2 lines like that, wed actually compete with the nucks, now Thats scary.
Who is your favorite team? Living in Wisconsin I would imagine Oiler games on the tube are few and far between.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 07:37 PM
  #39
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
If the Oilers cant pay Doug Weight 6 million dollars, Then they sure as hell wont trade for a hold out in Gaborik who's looking for 6 million+

outKast* is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 07:38 PM
  #40
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
If the Oilers cant pay Doug Weight 6 million dollars, Then they sure as hell wont trade for a hold out in Gaborik who's looking for 6 million+
Gaborik would sign for just over 4 my friend. No doubt about it.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 07:41 PM
  #41
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Gaborik would sign for just over 4 my friend. No doubt about it.
I can't find a link for it, but Gaborik recently said that he'd be willing to play for what he made last year, which was about $4 million including bonuses.

Allan is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 08:24 PM
  #42
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I can't find a link for it, but Gaborik recently said that he'd be willing to play for what he made last year, which was about $4 million including bonuses.
SEE

ALL HAIL
ME THE MAGNIFICENT

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:07 PM
  #43
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Who is your favorite team? Living in Wisconsin I would imagine Oiler games on the tube are few and far between.
its called DirecTV NHL CenterIce package (.....a close friend of mine)

Plus, i actually live in Edmonton, it just so happens my job has placed me in WI for the past 3 years, though i will be coming back soon
(just miss those terminal winters too much i guess)

windowlicker is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 06:36 AM
  #44
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
its called DirecTV NHL CenterIce package (.....a close friend of mine)

Plus, i actually live in Edmonton, it just so happens my job has placed me in WI for the past 3 years, though i will be coming back soon
(just miss those terminal winters too much i guess)
Ah yes, CenterIce the savior!

Well, if it's worth anything, I'm getting mine and your fair share of cold October weather right now!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 06:40 AM
  #45
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
What I don't get, is how come everyone thinks all of these players are so much better than Comrie is offensively?

I mean, it's not like the Oilers are an offensive juggernaut by any means, and while Comrie has had good linemates in Smyth and Carter, they have been plagued by injury and inconsistancy respectively.

Comrie proved in his first full season that he can carry the offensive load by himself... and that is saying a tonne.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 06:47 AM
  #46
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
What I don't get, is how come everyone thinks all of these players are so much better than Comrie is offensively?

I mean, it's not like the Oilers are an offensive juggernaut by any means, and while Comrie has had good linemates in Smyth and Carter, they have been plagued by injury and inconsistancy respectively.

Comrie proved in his first full season that he can carry the offensive load by himself... and that is saying a tonne.
agreed, but he's older and smaller then Gabs and thats where the value differential is.

I think Comrie still has close to the offensive potential that Gabs does, but not the two way potential.

thome_26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.