HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Fourth (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Old
05-26-2017, 06:14 AM
marcel snapshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
The fact that we lost defies all logic and can only be explained by how terrible some of our key players have been in key situations.

Look at Crosby. I hate to say it but there was never a single doubt in his mind that his team was not going to win. This sense of confidence trickles down to every player on that roster and they're able to be clutch.

Our guys are paralysed by fear, and these insecurities trickle down to every player on our roster.
Yep. If the organization can't see this, and do something about it - then it's a hopeless failure. And once you extinguish hope, you lose fans

marcel snapshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 06:30 AM
Nice

Of course they won.

Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 06:34 AM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Pens are in no way some unbeatable juggernaut. But they have what we lack: an ability to play without tension and fear under pressure - and it's pretty essential to winning
It sucks to say but they kinda are....

Back to Back Stanley Cup Finals. Got there this year with a different goalie for 90% of the playoffs and AHL defense . Guentzel came out of nowhere. All their 3 studs lead the league in playoff points

Caps and every team simply do not have an answer for the fact that the best Canadian is on the team, one of the three best Russians and one of the 3 best Americans. That depth cannot be matched especially when everyone of those guys is playing 22 minutes a night

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 06:40 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The Pens system is better though, it's not just those 3 players. They can plug and play kids that get the puck out, or the lead the rush pushing back our D like vets.

I was arguing with a pens fan before the series, and he said Kunitz was trash. He said I should want him in there. My rebuttal was the Varly cross check to the head and game 7 meltdown. Sure enough that little weasel pots 2 in game 7, to give us another kick in the nuts.

Now we have to cheer for Scoresburg. We literally cannot win.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Capsman

Let's not forget how this "juggernaut" Penguins team was built essentially by tanking several seasons in a row and that run of 4 straight 1 or 2 picks. Yeah there was some wheeling and dealing since, but their multi-season tank job, incompetence, whatever you want to call it laid the foundation. I mean they still reap the benefits of the J. Staal trade.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Bloomfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The Pens system is better though, it's not just those 3 players. They can plug and play kids that get the puck out, or the lead the rush pushing back our D like vets.

I was arguing with a pens fan before the series, and he said Kunitz was trash. He said I should want him in there. My rebuttal was the Varly cross check to the head and game 7 meltdown. Sure enough that little weasel pots 2 in game 7, to give us another kick in the nuts.

Now we have to cheer for Scoresburg. We literally cannot win.
Forsberg wont have a chance vs the pens. Team with most luck ever.

Crosby is going to raise the smythe and cup again.

Bloomfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
Forsberg wont have a chance vs the pens. Team with most luck ever.

Crosby is going to raise the smythe and cup again.
We have the worst luck countering it. If Pitt is going to lose, rest assured it will be you know who leading the way.

Old
05-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Tweedsuitcase

so...are the officials *ever* going to get tired of calling penalties or blowing the play dead when Kessel and co. flop all over the ice like they did in the 3rd last night?
1st OT was some of the most entertaining hockey I saw this year. Thankfully shut it off before 2OT.

Tweedsuitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 08:28 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Let's not forget how this "juggernaut" Penguins team was built essentially by tanking several seasons in a row and that run of 4 straight 1 or 2 picks. Yeah there was some wheeling and dealing since, but their multi-season tank job, incompetence, whatever you want to call it laid the foundation. I mean they still reap the benefits of the J. Staal trade.
MEH. What they got from that period in terms of talent is not the deciding factor in why they have 4 Finals appearances and 2-3 Cups in the Ovechkin era while we have nothing but failure. The Oilers and Leafs stunk it up for years and they don't have the track record the Pens have. It's not just talent.

05-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Bloomfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
MEH. What they got from that period in terms of talent is not the deciding factor in why they have 4 Finals appearances and 2-3 Cups in the Ovechkin era while we have nothing but failure. The Oilers and Leafs stunk it up for years and they don't have the track record the Pens have. It's not just talent.
And how many years did columbus and florida tank without nothing to show for.

Old
05-26-2017, 09:02 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Let's be reality the difference maker in their rebuild was Pitt closed doors ping pong ball getting gifted S1d. I doubt they even bothered to weigh down all the other teams balls, nor even had a drawing. Glued our ball onto the bottom with epoxy. It was just another kick in the nuts for us.

Old
05-26-2017, 09:20 AM
third man in

Quote:
We have the worst luck countering it. If Pitt is going to lose, rest assured it will be you know who leading the way.
I don't hate Forsberg. It's not his fault that McPhee came to work drunk once.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 10:38 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I don't hate him either. It would just be salt in the wound.

Wounds.

And if Nashville were to win the cup, more salt knowing dumping Trotz was a part of their winning recipe, while we are drawing up an extension for him.

Old
05-26-2017, 10:40 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Quote:
I don't hate him either. It would just be salt in the wound.

Wounds.
Don't hate him either but it definitely wouldn't be as bad as seeing your rival lift another cup after knocking you out in the 2nd round. Would also be a great story for Nashville to win as the 8th seed.

hb11xchamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Bloomfield*

Filip Forsberg is not Peter Forsberg. I doubt he can overshine Crosby

Old
05-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Capsman

Quote:
I'd have to look this up, but can you recall a team ever having 4 straight 1 or 2 picks? At a time when 2 of them were generational talent centers, and yes Malkin is a generational talent. I'm not saying they didn't do well with that gift, but come on. It's the gift that keeps giving. And I wholly agree with Randyholt that the NHL rigged the Crosby draft.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 11:11 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
I'd have to look this up, but can you recall a team ever having 4 straight 1 or 2 picks? At a time when 2 of them were generational talent centers, and yes Malkin is a generational talent. I'm not saying they didn't do well with that gift, but come on. It's the gift that keeps giving. And I wholly agree with Randyholt that the NHL rigged the Crosby draft.
Edmonton is probably the closest with Taylor Hall (#1 2010), RNH (#1 2011), Yakupov (#1 2012), Draisaitl (#3, 2014), and McDavid (#1 2015). Nurse was the #7 pick in 2013

hb11xchamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 12:03 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Malkin/Crosby/MAF are not significantly better than Ovie/Backstrom/Holtby. Not enough to explain 2-3 Cups vs never making it out of the 2nd round, especially with so many other players on the ice and so many coaching/gm changes. This **** is an excuse we can tell ourselves but it's meaningless.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:43 PM
hockeykicker

Lol here we go again. Preds goal called back for a phantom offside

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
nautikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Lol here we go again. Preds goal called back for a phantom offside
This rule is horrible. The league needs to change the video review to be based on the plane and not whether the skate is touching or not, or at least inject a sanity check. Can't call back a goal for something so inconsequential

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

That rule is so bad. The ref was right there and the foot looked onside from the NBC replay.

Ovechkins Wodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
Quote:
Malkin/Crosby/MAF are not significantly better than Ovie/Backstrom/Holtby. Not enough to explain 2-3 Cups vs never making it out of the 2nd round, especially with so many other players on the ice and so many coaching/gm changes. This **** is an excuse we can tell ourselves but it's meaningless.
They were a little bit better and that's all they need. Now they're much better, 87/71 are twice as good as 8/19 combined.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:57 PM
hockeykicker

And now two full mins of 5 on 3 for pens and pens score

Old
05-29-2017, 08:05 PM
hockeykicker

So Crosby can elbow guys and not get called for a penalty now? Means preds have no chance

Old
05-29-2017, 08:09 PM
hockeykicker