HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Army, Farrish, Allaire won't be returning

Old
05-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
Interesting. I don't mind Roloson.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:03 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I was really looking forward to Army's new PP plan with MacKinnon in the net, Rantanen on top of the net, Barrie behind the net, and the other two members of the PP floating around our own blue line.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:03 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Interesting. I don't mind Roloson.
Yea, I'd be okay with that.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:10 PM
sethro109

Dwayne the main vein roly the poly Roloson. Always liked him as a player. Should be a good coach.

sethro109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I was really looking forward to Army's new PP plan with MacKinnon in the net, Rantanen on top of the net, Barrie behind the net, and the other two members of the PP floating around our own blue line.
I think Landeskog would get jealous if he wasn't the one in the net. That's basically what he did in his first couple years with all of those interference penalties.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
Oh, he still deserves to be "bashed". Not retaining these guys doesn't make up for the years of dumb decisions.
I'm not saying that this move makes everything better. Sakic has made some poor choices, as did Roy.

All I'm saying is when the guy makes a good decision it shouldn't be rain **** on Sakic hour. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come over the summer.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Semyon Vezinamov
Mulan Szechuan Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't give Sakic credit because Bednar is still here. Bednar was a complete and utter disaster. Purge and move on. This is just another half measure IMO.
Other than the fact that I am generally optimistic and think Bednar does deserve another kick at the can after a year of experience and an entire offseason to reflect and plan, there is a human element to this too.

Sakic handpicked this guy and brought him up out of a good situation where he was likely not too far from being picked by another team for the NHL level. If Sakic fired him now, Bednar would be very hard-pressed to see the NHL again and would probably have a hard time finding an AHL head coaching gig again in the short term.

It goes without saying, though, that this season definitely got away from Bednar and he has a lot of improving and soulsearching to do before next season starts.

Semyon Vezinamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 50
So glad Army is finally gone, Farrish gone is fine too since he never seemed to fit in the first place and Allaire was no surprise either especially since we never heard anything about him once Roy took off.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:43 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semyon Vezinamov View Post
Other than the fact that I am generally optimistic and think Bednar does deserve another kick at the can after a year of experience and an entire offseason to reflect and plan, there is a human element to this too.

Sakic handpicked this guy and brought him up out of a good situation where he was likely not too far from being picked by another team for the NHL level. If Sakic fired him now, Bednar would be very hard-pressed to see the NHL again and would probably have a hard time finding an AHL head coaching gig again in the short term.

It goes without saying, though, that this season definitely got away from Bednar and he has a lot of improving and soulsearching to do before next season starts.
My argument would be more focused on the players. Another crap year under Bednar definitely means some good younger players like Barrie and Landy will probably be gone. MacK might be pushed to another year of being average when he should be nearing his peak. EJ and Varly will be another year towards the massive drop off. It just becomes a wasted year for every player on the team, and they are far more important to the team's success now and in 5 years than Bednar will be. Even if Bednar recovers and is successful, odds are he is only here 2-3ish years more. MacK should be here 6-10 more years. Landy should be here 4-6 more years. Rants and Jost should be here for the next decade. Their futures mean far more to the organization than giving Bednar another chance. If he fails, it could have a massive impact on a number of players on this roster. The reward of keeping Bednar simply isn't worth it.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I'm not saying that this move makes everything better. Sakic has made some poor choices, as did Roy.

All I'm saying is when the guy makes a good decision it shouldn't be rain **** on Sakic hour. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come over the summer.
Like I said, it was a joke for the most part.

When you create a ****storm, **** is going to rain down upon you.

StayAtHomeAv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I'm happy the Avs are looking into new goalie coaches and decided not to make the monumentally decision to bring back those three coaches. I'm only a bit sad to see Allaire go because he helped put Varly and Pickard on the right path along with creating a decent goalie development foundation in the Avalanche pro system. This past year kind of soured the other three years a bit with how it went down but overall it's a positive experience.

I'm happy to see that the Avs are reaching out to bring in a goalie coach. My happiness ends there though because there's a reason Sakic is looking at bringing in a goalie coach like Dwayne Roloson, Roloson likes being part time. He was part time with the Anaheim Ducks and that's the reason he left after the 2015/16 season because he didn't want to move to full time. This is just another headline this organization wants to put out while doing the absolute bare minimum work to keep their jobs.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
Like I said, it was a joke for the most part.

When you create a ****storm, **** is going to rain down upon you.
I'd be fine with this comment if it was all Sakic's fault. But it's becoming more evident by the day that Roy was making a majority of the decisions and Sakic is trying to clean them up.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Flow

Quote:
My argument would be more focused on the players. Another crap year under Bednar definitely means some good younger players like Barrie and Landy will probably be gone. MacK might be pushed to another year of being average when he should be nearing his peak. EJ and Varly will be another year towards the massive drop off. It just becomes a wasted year for every player on the team, and they are far more important to the team's success now and in 5 years than Bednar will be. Even if Bednar recovers and is successful, odds are he is only here 2-3ish years more. MacK should be here 6-10 more years. Landy should be here 4-6 more years. Rants and Jost should be here for the next decade. Their futures mean far more to the organization than giving Bednar another chance. If he fails, it could have a massive impact on a number of players on this roster. The reward of keeping Bednar simply isn't worth it.
I am not going to pretend I am an expert and judging these things, but this is what scares me. Why keep him if we know he probably won't be a long term fit? I just don't want any other prospects development route hurt because we suck and are the biggest losers in the league. Seeing Mack in international play and Games 1, 2, and 5 in his rookie playoffs keep me wanting more of that, probably not the smartest thing to do but find a maybe coach, system, and players Mack can thrive under.

They kept mentioning during Caps games how Lane Lambert thought he had the Avs job secured before the Avs hired Bednar. How different would this season have been with Lambert coaching?

Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
all of these dudes seemed like Roy guys, not Sakic guys.

Bonzai12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
all of these dudes seemed like Roy guys, not Sakic guys.
Allaire and Farrish were Roy guys. I think Army was just an Avs guy.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Foppberg

Can we go a day without all the negativity? I know it's being realistic, but no longer having to deal with Farrish or Army is a successful day.

Foppberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:25 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
I wonder what this means for JIF.
That's my question, if he's taking over for Allaire then I'm all good with this. If he's leaving to, then I'm disappointed with that.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
That's my question, if he's taking over for Allaire then I'm all good with this. If he's leaving to, then I'm disappointed with that.
The fact that he wasn't mentioned in this press release signals to me that JIF is staying on for another season which is good because I don't trust the Avs to replace him and Allaire in the same off-season.

Old
05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Is there really any evidence JIF had all that much success this season either?

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Is there really any evidence JIF had all that much success this season either?
I'll go to bat for him. He got Pickard to jump to the NHL, he helped Martin have a very successful first AHL season, and while this year wasn't fantastic it also wasn't a disaster for Martin who put up similar numbers to Comrie while being on a worse team. Not to mention Martin earned a call-up and starts in the NHL.

Old
05-23-2017, 04:49 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I'd be fine with this comment if it was all Sakic's fault. But it's becoming more evident by the day that Roy was making a majority of the decisions and Sakic is trying to clean them up.
Sakic is GM. Stop making excuses for the guy.

Old
05-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
Avs finally find a legit goalie coach after years with Allaire, and now it looks like he and JIF might be gone given they're pursuing Roloson. Unless JIF stays on with the minor leaguers. Had a feeling Allaire was out the door when his contract ran out, with Roy gone.

I'm happy Army and Farrish are gone, but can't help but see similarities between a possible Roloson hire, and the Avs old hires like Thibault.

Hopefully he or whoever they bring in are full time and know what they're doing, because both our goalies need to work on the fundamentals in their game. Especially Picks who seems to have a fair amount of holes in his game that keep getting exposed.

Goaltending is now a very important thing to focus on with Varly in doubt, and Picks not looking like he's a true #1. They are gonna have to find some new prospects along with Martin to develop properly.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 05:01 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Yes, please bring in a full time goalie coach.

Old
05-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic MacK View Post
Avs finally find a legit goalie coach after years with Allaire, and now it looks like he and JIF might be gone given they're pursuing Roloson. Unless JIF stays on with the minor leaguers. Had a feeling Allaire was out the door when his contract ran out, with Roy gone.

I'm happy Army and Farrish are gone, but can't help but see similarities between a possible Roloson hire, and the Avs old hires like Thibault.

Hopefully he or whoever they bring in are full time and know what they're doing, because both our goalies need to work on the fundamentals in their game. Especially Picks who seems to have a fair amount of holes in his game that keep getting exposed.

Goaltending is now a very important thing to focus on with Varly in doubt, and Picks not looking like he's a true #1. They are gonna have to find some new prospects along with Martin to develop properly.
Going after Roloson isn't necessarily a bad thing for JIF. If Sakic doesn't manage to completely screw up the foundation left for him all he has to do is sign another goalie coach. If you want a good goalie development system you need two goalie coaches and we had that for four seasons. I've said repeatedly over the past season that the Avs need to be looking hard to replace Allaire because he's gone and do their best to keep JIF on board.

My issue now is the type of goalie coach that Sakic is going after. Roloson helped develop at some level Gibson/Andersen. That's a positive. The negative of course is that Roloson doesn't want anything to do with full time goalie coaching. Allaire did better than the guys we've had in that position before but he was still part time. The fact that they are actively seeking a part time goalie coach hurts because it looks like they aren't learning.

Old
05-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Why Farrish was allowed to stick around even after they hired Pratt is beyond me.

I'm also very confused as to why Army was let go, yet wasn't allowed to interview for other positions. If you're gonna fire a guy, then at least let him find work. While I feel the Army firing is LONG overdue, on the surface this looks like yet another case of dithering and mishandling by Sakic.

I'm actually shocked the Avs are looking outside the organization for their goalie coach. I thought they'd just promote JIF and that'd be that.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote