HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Army, Farrish, Allaire won't be returning

Old
05-23-2017, 05:20 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 500
No way! Army is gone??!!??!! I just assumed after the nuclear apocalypse, there would be cockroaches, and Tim Army running the Avs power play.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokecheque View Post
Why Farrish was allowed to stick around even after they hired Pratt is beyond me.

I'm also very confused as to why Army was let go, yet wasn't allowed to interview for other positions. If you're gonna fire a guy, then at least let him find work. While I feel the Army firing is LONG overdue, on the surface this looks like yet another case of dithering and mishandling by Sakic.

I'm actually shocked the Avs are looking outside the organization for their goalie coach. I thought they'd just promote JIF and that'd be that.
Avs don't like throwing away money if they can help it. They were paying him either way. Might as well get him to do work for them.

I'd be willing to bet the situation was supposed to be reversed, with Farrish staying on the bench, and Pratt upstairs, if Roy was still here. Bednar preferred his buddy with him.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Farrish was kept to ease the transition for Bednar, most likely, because of his familiarity with the players. And then he was banished to the video room because he sucks. I don't think there was ever any doubt that he wouldn't be retained.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
I'll go to bat for him. He got Pickard to jump to the NHL, he helped Martin have a very successful first AHL season, and while this year wasn't fantastic it also wasn't a disaster for Martin who put up similar numbers to Comrie while being on a worse team. Not to mention Martin earned a call-up and starts in the NHL.
Martin was near a disaster after his callup. I would have liked to see him take less than a month to calm down and more progress on his issues at that time too. It's almost like he was abandoned after the callup. That's probably not the case but it seemed like it. So I'm more ambivalent on JIF sticking around. There's good he did in the past but it might be time to move on.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Martin was near a disaster after his callup. I would have liked to see him take less than a month to calm down and more progress on his issues at that time too. It's almost like he was abandoned after the callup. That's probably not the case but it seemed like it. So I'm more ambivalent on JIF sticking around. There's good he did in the past but it might be time to move on.
That's a valid concern and I'm with you on the disaster part of the season. I was so happy for Martin and then he got back to San Antonio. I'm willing to give JIF next season before shooting him to the moon just because he's been doing well so far.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:31 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

This is all great news. It has been a long time since we have had great news.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:36 PM
avsfan9

I think Sakic steps down as gm before the draft and stays on as head of hockey ops

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Sea Eagles

Everyone knows I'm the eternal optimist around here (annoyingly so - hahaha), but Joe Sakic, take a bow. Small steps, but steps anyways.

This is exactly what I asked for:
X Full time goalie coach
X Assistants changed / moved (feel really bad though, this is their jobs and livelihood)
X Bednar gets his own choices around staffing

and I'm getting it.

All season, and leading into the off season, I tried to tell people to remain patient. I said that I didn't want Sakic to make any desperation trades. I suggested the changes above. Seems everything I've projected or suggested is coming to fruition.

Why am I saying that?

Because I've also said all along we are closer to competing than most people think. I'm really excited about next season. I think we are looking very solid, and only really need to make two moves to compete (trade Barrie if possible for Drouin + acquire a good PMD via free agency).

If you go into next season like this (not in any order):
Left Wing: Drouin, Landeskog, Nieto, Compher
Center: Mackinnon, Duchene, Jost, Soderberg
Right Wing: Rantanen, Andrighetto, Comeau
Depth: 4th overall Draft pick, Colborne, Greer, Grimaldi
Defense: Zadorov, FREE AGENT, Johnson, Mirinov, Barberio, Lindholm
Depth: Meloche, (Butcher maybe), (Siemens maybe), Bigras, (Beauchemin if not bought out)
Goalie: Varly (hopefully healthy), Pickard (played very well at the worlds)
Depth: Smith

Last season, we added: Lindholm, Barberio, Nieto, Compher, Andrighetto & Jost into our top team. Ok, they aren't Crosby or Ovechkin types, but one thing they briong each and every shift, is compete, compete, compete.

IF, Bednar can get the combinations and chemistry firing, and we are lucky with injuries, we'll be a play-off team next season. We'd have a top 6 that could potentially BE a top 6 (not lower players having to fill a hole): Landeskog, Drouin, Mackinnon, Duchene, Rantanen, Tippett would really excite me. With that top 6, if you went Greer, Compher, Jost, Nieto, Andrighetto and Soderberg as the bottom 6, that is one nasty looking team (in a good way).

Things are looking up people. Time to get excited.

Sea Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:45 PM
StayAtHomeAv

So the only D we add is a free agent, and that just replaces Barrie. That's not enough.

StayAtHomeAv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:50 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararana View Post
Army is gone! Praise the hockey gods.
x2000

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:52 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Eagles View Post
X Full time goalie coach
There is nothing confirming that point, the interview of Roloson might actually point to a part time gig.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
So the only D we add is a free agent, and that just replaces Barrie. That's not enough.
I agree, but that's not REALLY the case though, is it? Changes from last season would then be:

X Gelinas out
X Beauchemin out
X Tyutin out
X Wiercioch out
X Goloubef out
X Siemens tried
X Barberio in
X Lindholm in
X Mirinov in
X Zadorov back from injury
X Bigras closer
X Meloche closer
X Butcher may be added to depth
X Berrie traded

Surely this indicates we are trying to implement change. I also think a core of Zadorov, Johnson, Mirinov, Lindholm, Barberio & even Barrie if he's not traded is as strong a start point as I've seen at our club in years.

Not only that, I think they'll be under rated by many, and pull a few pants down on the opposition along the way because of this.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

@Sea Eagles

I like your optimism. Mellows me out a bit as this front office has made me slightly hostile. I wouldn't declare success for Full-Time Goalie Coach just yet. Roloson is known around the goalie community for his part-time goalie work and left the Ducks because he didn't want to do the gig full time. If you can find a quote that points to this being a full time hire I'd love to see it.

Also Jeremy Smith won't be with the Avs next season. His contract is up July 1st and the Avs most likely replace him with a Pheonix Copley-type goalie, somewhat young who has been very good in the AHL. Butcher is pretty much gone as well.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
There is nothing confirming that point, the interview of Roloson might actually point to a part time gig.
my personal opinion, has always been Jean-Sébastien Giguère as full time goalie coach.
X Proven Winner
X Calls a spade a spade - no BS
X Knows Avs intimately
X Would know Sakic well
X May be able to be full time
X Would suit Varly's style

That bloke has always impressed me. A true champion, and probably the best back-up this club has ever had.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:03 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Roloson's contract isn't signed yet. We don't know that he for sure has the job.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
@Sea Eagles

I like your optimism. Mellows me out a bit as this front office has made me slightly hostile. I wouldn't declare success for Full-Time Goalie Coach just yet. Roloson is known around the goalie community for his part-time goalie work and left the Ducks because he didn't want to do the gig full time. If you can find a quote that points to this being a full time hire I'd love to see it.

Also Jeremy Smith won't be with the Avs next season. His contract is up July 1st and the Avs most likely replace him with a Pheonix Copley-type goalie, somewhat young who has been very good in the AHL. Butcher is pretty much gone as well.
Most certainly. The past season was unacceptable. But if you look at my post above about the changes in defense, you'd actually find we've been pretty vigorous and fast moving when it comes to change.

Things are happening.

Despite what people think here (all doom & gloom) I feel our team improved exponentially as the Barberio, Jost, Compher, Grimaldi, Andrighetto types all came aboard, and despite the results, I was happy with the last block of the season, because we were improving and competing.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Butcher. I don't think he'll be in as demand as he thinks. I also think Sakic is trying there. We'll get our man. Colorado despite last season is still a very attractive place to play hockey (see Mirinov seeking a huge downgrade in pay to move continents to play for us).

Roloson would be good, but we need to move forward from coaches who are part time. We need a full time goalie coach. That's why I say Jean-Sébastien Giguère would be ideal.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Sea Eagles

Check out this article from 2012, and tell me Jiggy wouldn't be the best man for the job

COLORADO AVALANCHE
Colorado Avalanche: Jean-Sebastien Giguere Taking Control in Avalanche Crease
KEVIN GOFF
JANUARY 23, 2012
DENVER, CO - JANUARY 18: Goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere #35 of the Colorado Avalanche pauses during a break in the action against the Florida Panthers at the Pepsi Center on January 18, 2012 in Denver, Colorado. The Colorado Avalanche defeated the Florida Panthers 4-3 in overtime. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
On the free-agent frenzy, the Colorado Avalanche made a big splash by acquiring Semyon Varlamov in a trade that have many people raising their eyebrows.

The other move that the Avalanche made (signing veteran goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere) regarding goaltending is now looking to be one of the biggest steals of the offseason.

From day one in training camp, Giguere immediately showed his worth as a leader in the locker room and in practices.

Though Giguere has always been competitive and eager to get on the ice, he embraced his role as backup and never made any noise about wanting more ice time.

Rather he made it clear that he knew his role went far beyond just backing up Varlamov, but to also be his mentor and help the 23-year-old learn what it means to be a starting goalie in the league.

Varlamov has stumbled a few times in the year, which has given Giguere a chance to earn some more ice time, something that he has made the most of.

Giguere is 12-6-1 in his 19 starts and sports one of the league's better save percentages at .925. He also has a goals against average of just over 2.00.

In addition to his fantastic numbers is the effect that he has on the rest of the team when he is in the net.

Giguere controls rebounds much better than Varlamov, which makes the defense far less skittish and causes the team to be more confident in their game.

J.S. Giguere is the ideal mentor for young Semyon Varlamov
J.S. Giguere is the ideal mentor for young Semyon VarlamovElsa/Getty Images
After a recent stint of games where Giguere and Varlamov have been splitting time in net, Varlamov has once again struggled to put together consistently strong efforts.

Thanks to this strong effort, the Avalanche now find themselves in the eighth seed in the Western Conference and Jean-Sebastien Giguere seems to have taken over the No. 1 goaltender position for the Avalanche.

Nonetheless, Avalanche fans should be careful before labeling Varlamov a bust. He is young and incredibly talented, and the longer he spends around Giguere, the better he will become.

Gigurere still knows that despite the fact Varlamov isn't the clear starter anymore, part of his job is to make sure that Varlamov knows how to be a top goalie for his team.

Count on Giguere having the exact kind of influence that Varlamov needs, all while helping the Avalanche push into the playoffs.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Re: Giguere

There's a big difference between being a mentor to a goalie and being a goalie coach. He also has to want to do it and I can't find anything that says Giguere has transitioned into any type of coaching let alone goalie coaching at a high level.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:27 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Let's go for the most qualified candidate instead of the most connected candidate.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Foppberg

Well who's a good goalie coach that's available? That's not really a selection of coaches that most people are knowledgable about.

Foppberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 07:29 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let's go for the most qualified candidate instead of the most connected candidate.
From your lips to the gods' ears.

agentblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
So what quantifies qualified? Is it coaching experience? Or is it on the job experience? Is it having played 25 years ago? Is it having played recently?

I was told my criticism's of Allaire were always way off. What are his track records with Colorado? He has been with us from 2013 - 2017. In that time, he had input, and access with the following goalies (all be it some with nominal games):

X Sami Aittokallio
X Reto Berra
X Semyon Varlamov
X Jean-Sebastien Giguere
X Calvin Pickard
X Roman Will
X Spencer Martin
X Jeremy Smith

Which goalie here has he developed, improved or taken to the next level? The reason I'm saying this, is because Allaire is a career goalie coach, so you'd say he's the MOST qualified.

Nope, you need the right character. You need winners. Jiggy probably isn't THAT connected anyway. We need winners around this club.

Old
05-23-2017, 07:57 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Eh i just want some fresh perspectives in this org. No one thats been tainted by our particular brand of stank anytime over the last 5-7 years

agentblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:07 PM
EdAVSfan

Letting assistants go was a good first step. Here's hoping they hire qualified, and somewhat experienced replacements with track records of success.

EdAVSfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:12 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

A resume of success as a coach