HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Friedman: Avs have asked for, and gotten, permission to talk to Kyle Dubas

Old
05-23-2017, 09:29 PM
The Abusement Park

vCash: 500
This would be fantastic news if true IMO. I really like what Dubas did in TO and we could use some of that IMO.

The Abusement Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

This probably isn't related because I doubt Dubas is looking for that role but FWIW, Friedman wrote this last month:

Quote:
Rumour shot down: that Colorado was looking at beefing up its scouting department with a “Rick Dudley-type” hire. (That’s the phrase I used when asking, because that’s the way it was presented to me.)

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:30 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Hopefully there's a link for this, I'd like to hear the context. It has to be for GM because he's already an AGM, no?
He's an AGM but the context is that he's being mentored by Lou Lam ... His main duty is GM of the Marlies but he likely works with the Leafs management group behind the scenes and gives input on player evaluations and trades. The Marlies have done well with him at the helm.

One of the better up and coming front office guys. Only 30 years old but smart, analytics say, and now has some experience under his belt. IMO he could probably stand to learn a bit more and get some more experience, but I wouldn't blame him for making the jump at the right opportunity.

It will be interesting to see what happens. As a Leafs fan I would be upset to see him leave the organization - most peg him as the successor to the GM role for the Leafs when Lou Lam retires for good and are pretty excited about it.

BertCorbeau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Realize Dubas is likely a major fan of Matt Duchene. Unless Duchene straight up tells him he's ready to move on I have a feeling he will try to find a way to fix this team by keeping him around.
Quite frankly as much as I have been aboard the "Trade Duchene" bandwagon this is about the only thing that could happen where I would pause and say maybe it can still work.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:32 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewsFromThe6ix View Post
Fair enough. Obviously success isn't a guarantee but all signs point to him being a terrific GM.
Thats all im saying. From both sides. It's so difficult to tell. Should Avs fans be excited? Should Leaf fans be disappointed? Who knows.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Ararana

vCash: 966
Leafs fans are freaking the **** out on their boards... that can't be a bad thing for us.

Ararana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:35 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Billington should have been fired too. Our AHL and development has been a consistent issue.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:36 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Quite frankly as much as I have been aboard the "Trade Duchene" bandwagon this is about the only thing that could happen where I would pause and say maybe it can still work.
I'd think the opposite, he wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger. He probably can see the asset management part of it pretty well.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:38 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Billington should have been fired too. Our AHL and development has been a consistent issue.
After what Dubas did for the Marlies and their org development, he wouldn't last a day without laughing at how awful Billington has been.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:40 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
This is the most excited I've been about Avs news since Roy quit. This would be the best thing to happen to us in years.
Agreed. I'm trying not to get too excited in case it doesn't happen, but it's so different for the organization and I love that. Would be an amazing hire.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Strange move but let's see if anything comes of it.

Scouting the NHL Draft
www.thehockeyprospector.com
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Hopefully this isn't just another one of those things that gets us talking and then nothing happens. You'd think it's something serious if the two sides are going to speak. The Coyotes wanted permission to speak with Dubas last year but nothing came of it because apparently he wasn't interested.

Old
05-23-2017, 09:42 PM
agentblack

If nothing comes from it at least it showing they are looking outside their little world to find some help. They know they need it, at least they are looking at people that have had some success at the pro level.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I'd think the opposite, he wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger. He probably can see the asset management part of it pretty well.
Perhaps. It all depends on how he views Duchene as a player. If he likes him a lot I think he'd come in a sit down with Duchene and explain to him the value he believe's having him around adds, etc.

But on the other hand that's one thing Dubas is very good at is approaching value and asset management. He would be somebody who recognizes Dutchys situation and is willing to move him quickly if he doesn't fit into the future plans.

Old
05-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararana View Post
Leafs fans are freaking the **** out on their boards... that can't be a bad thing for us.
This is the result of 5-6 years of low-ball offers. REVENGE!!!!!!

LOL

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

From Puck Daddy:

Quote:
Now, why would Dubas want to leave the slow build to a championship in Toronto? Speculation is that assistant GM Mark Hunter might be ahead of him in line to become GM Lou Lamoriello’s successor.

So if Dubas wants to run a show, he might need to look elsewhere.
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kyle-d...-sh&soc_trk=tw

I hadn't heard that before but if true, that'd be a good explantation why he might be looking to leave now.

Old
05-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Hopefully this isn't just another one of those things that gets us talking and then nothing happens. You'd think it's something serious if the two sides are going to speak. The Coyotes wanted permission to speak with Dubas last year but nothing came of it because apparently he wasn't interested.

Even if they don't hire Dubas it's a strong signal IMO that the Avs are looking and preparing to move in a different and better direction.

Arizona didn't hire Dubas but they did hire a similar young guy who thinks the game in a similar way. This is the direction the Avs nred to go in and speaking with Dubas is a big sign that they're heading in that direction.

Old
05-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Ararana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This is the result of 5-6 years of low-ball offers. REVENGE!!!!!!

LOL
Hell, just the lastest thread on the trade boards Seriously who peed in Toronto's pool?

Old
05-23-2017, 09:48 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Wonder what Dubas could figure out for our little Soderberg problem?

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Avs44

I would love to grab Dubas. He'd add a voice and expertise this FO has been lacking, in my view. However, I can only see Dubas being interested in leaving TO if he's getting offered a GM spot.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Ararana

**** just get us a decent god damn defenseman and I'll call it a win.

Old
05-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Foppberg

Even if we don't hire him.. It's a strong and long overdue signal of real, outside change.

Foppberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 09:56 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend View Post
He's, like, 30 years old. Would be neat but so unlike us. What the hell does this guy know about our 96 run?
I lol'ed more than I should have.

EdAVSfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
My concern with hiring a young/inexperienced GM is not doubts about Dubas but doubts that he'd be fully in charge if these old guys are still here. If you bring in an older GM then you know the guy is the guy running the show and he has balls, if Dubas comes in then I'd like to hope that he's making his own moves but I worry he'd be held back from doing stuff like firing Bednar because of some of the older farts who are likely still going to be in the organization including possibly Sakic. Step in the right direction either way but need to purge the club of the other guys.

Also, I believe he had more of an actual hockey and scouting background than Chayka who was analytic heavy so who knows, he might be even better than Chayka at least when it comes to player talent evaluation.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Thinking about it a bit more, it would be kinda strange to bring in someone new to run the show a month before the draft. It's a Toronto guy so you know it'll be discussed everywhere tomorrow. Very curious to see what, if anything, comes of this.