HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Friedman: Avs have asked for, and gotten, permission to talk to Kyle Dubas

Old
05-23-2017, 11:44 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Realize Dubas is likely a major fan of Matt Duchene. Unless Duchene straight up tells him he's ready to move on I have a feeling he will try to find a way to fix this team by keeping him around.
Is this some OHL connection? Or Duchene having good underlying fancy stats?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Balthazar
Someone

Well Dubas is apparently responsible for the Kessel trade, I don't know what to think about that.

Anyways, Dubas or not, we're likely looking for a new GM and that's good news.

Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 12:17 AM
Avs44

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Well Dubas is apparently responsible for the Kessel trade, I don't know what to think about that.

Don't think it necessarily means that. Sakic said a while back that he loves being GM, I believe, and he's said Bednar is staying. He's sure sounded like an authoratative GM lately. For example, if a new GM was coming, the coach should be their decision, not Sakic's. We've no idea what Dubas has been offered, or whether the Avs are interested in only him or whether he's one option among many.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 12:27 AM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Don't think it necessarily means that. Sakic said a while back that he loves being GM, I believe, and he's said Bednar is staying. He's sure sounded like an authoratative GM lately. For example, if a new GM was coming, the coach should be their decision, not Sakic's. We've no idea what Dubas has been offered, or whether the Avs are interested in only him or whether he's one option among many.
AVS wouldn't ask permission to the Leafs to talk to Dubas and then offer him the same job in Colorado than the one he has in Toronto. That'd be strongly unethical and Toronto would say no anyway.

Since he's already an assistant GM and we have to offer him an upgrade in order to talk to him, what else than the GM position can we offer? I see literally nothing else.

Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:

No. he wasn't.
Shanahan was the one running on point. he said it during the video. Dubas that "they" (so I am going to assume - he) pushed for Kapanen.

and for the most part - there really wasn't anything wrong with the Kessel trade with everything that we had going on for it - we only had eight teams to choose from and one of the eight wanted him. that team also had cap issues, and they didn't want to give up anything. (for obvious reasons - but also for the other reasons they ALMOST got hosed with the Edmonton trade and them missing the playoffs an that pick could have been a lot higher/lottery based) , they've given up a lot of first round picks after Kapanen so they couldn't afford it.

Most Leafs fans were mad that there was a condition on one of the picks + we had to retain. but we got andersen (and kapenen is a good egg) out of it. and of course we won the lottery but it really looks "better" after all.

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 12:39 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Getting a new GM now just seems like changing horses mid-stream. The Expansion Draft, Entry Draft, and Free Agency all happen in the next five weeks. If Bednar didn't get enough time to "prepare", and that justifies the abominable season we just witnessed, how is Dubas going to get anything done right at this critical juncture? And if Sakic trusts himself to navigate those treacherous waters as a GM, then why would he think he needs a new one after all the important stuff is done?

Something about this doesn't add up. This may turn out to be nothing at all, and in that case I just cannot wait for the wailing board meltdown that will follow.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:06 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Pro: Analytics-he'll some way to work that is and get it to Bednar.

Con: -No MHunter who digs deep and unearths skilled treasures.
-I believe most Leafs execs want to see the fruit of this, before moving on.

We shall see.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 02:16 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
No Army, no Farrish and a new voice in the FO? Hell yes.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 03:43 AM
TruePowerSlave

Sounds too good to be true

The most important thing is to get a competent GM everything else comes after that. At this point change of any kind is moving in the right direction, as long as its not internal promotions.

TruePowerSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 03:57 AM
Drury_Sakic

Makes perfect sense.

Sakic, IMO is a perfect face of the franchise leadership. Send him to meetings, have him in the press, someone for players to talk to, have him truly run the franchise.

Behind him put the man with a plan in charge in Dubas, who uses modern analysis and methods to build a team, with Sakic there to provide input and balance out the pure fancy stats look with some old school eye testing.

Failing being able to get a Babcock level of coach, you keep the coach that, supposedly, teaches systems well (will give him benefit of the doubt due to taking over in a bad situation) and clear out everyone below him.

Ideally, you then bring in an assistant coach with experience as a long time level headed assistant coach in the league along with a passion based coach, either younger or older.

As for this draft. Most of the work is done already. Dubas knows who he would have picked with the Leafs picks.....and as most of the time in the NHL you take BPA, nothing really changes outside of being presented with a few new opinions by the Avs staff. The only thing he really changes focus on is who to take at #4....one player really....and even then, decent odds Dubas has a good knowledge of the top 5 prospects as the Leafs entered the season with decent odds of drafting in that range.

As for the expansion draft, there is some quick choices to be made, but it is likely he will have a decent grasp on the impact players the Avs might expose, Varly v. Pickard as an example, and beyond that there is not much else to it for the Avs IMO that takes too much thought.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 04:18 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
You Fools! Should have asked for Bozak and a 2nd.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 04:20 AM
TruePowerSlave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Sakic, IMO is a perfect face of the franchise leadership. Send him to meetings, have him in the press, someone for players to talk to, have him truly run the franchise.
I dunno, Sakic was scrambling to find anything to say to simple questions at the draft lottery. That is hardly the qualities of someone who you want to send to such events. But he is in the HHOF so I guess that makes people happy.

TruePowerSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 04:40 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
if you want to know a bit more about him. there was other good interview, trying to find it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 05:07 AM
JoemAvs

Well that would be what a smart franchise would do.

Let him be GM and make Sakic the media relations face of the franchise as president (even though he really sucks at the media part but whatever).

I would really like that hire (even if there is some risk to it). I am a fan of Dubas to some extent.

Unfortunately I am a bit pessimistic. Just does not sound like the Avs way of doing business. A 30 year old GM with no connections to the Avs glorydays ? Would be shocking?

That said. Best Avs news in a longtime..

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 06:17 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
I applaud them for their forward thinking and realizing that they need to take analytics into account when creating a team. However, they shouldn't fall into the trap of being 100% focused on analytics only. It paints a decent picture but still has some inherent flaws as well.

Interesting to see what happens to Columbus crew if he or someone else (I doubt they contacted Leafs only, I have a feeling they might go after Brisbois as well) gets here.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 06:36 AM
tucker3434

That is extremely interesting. New blood definitely doesn't seem like a bad idea right now.

Edit: The only thing we could get him for would be GM, right? Or, at least, a promise to be GM in the very near future.

Last edited by tucker3434: 05-24-2017 at 06:41 AM.
tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 06:49 AM
The Merchant
Whaddaya buyin'?

If it's true and this all occurred relatively past-tense then I'm not getting my hopes up. If we don't get any confirmation within the next day or so it's probably safe to say he turned down the offer

The Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 07:30 AM
hooverdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merchant View Post
If it's true and this all occurred relatively past-tense then I'm not getting my hopes up. If we don't get any confirmation within the next day or so it's probably safe to say he turned down the offer
Why? These things take time, and there hasn't been the usual stream of leaks about the situation like there's been with other teams. In fact, I'd guess that the Leafs leaked it now (after things are in motion) because there is something to this and they may be preparing to lose him. Why leak it otherwise? And why not leak "he turned down the offer, look hiw great we are" if that's what happened (or what appears to be happening)?

The Pens just lost their AGM to Buffalo and it took weeks to finalize, but we knew very early on that he was probably getting poached. I don't know why the Leafs would let this get out if they weren't a bit worried.

hooverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 07:35 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
AVS wouldn't ask permission to the Leafs to talk to Dubas and then offer him the same job in Colorado than the one he has in Toronto. That'd be strongly unethical and Toronto would say no anyway.

Since he's already an assistant GM and we have to offer him an upgrade in order to talk to him, what else than the GM position can we offer? I see literally nothing else.
That's not necessarily true.

Wha if the leafs have all but assured that mark hunter will be their new GM. If dubas knows he's not next in line, then why wouldn't he be interested in coming over in an AGM role for a year to learn the team, and then take over the doll following year?

I don't think that's what happened. But if Dubas really feels like he doesn't have an opportunity to advance, then it could be incentive enough for him to jump ship.

I don't get where you assume we have to offer him an upgrade just to talk to him?

EdAVSfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:00 AM
hockeyfish

I don't remember this guy. What year did he play for us? And what position?

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:10 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
The info I got late last night aligns with Friedman's tweet that seemed to indicate that Dubas HAS already interviewed.

On top of that, I would say don't be surprised if we hear some other names.

Last edited by RockLobster: 05-24-2017 at 08:55 AM.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:52 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I don't agree with all of Dubas' methodologies, but he is a very bright guy who I believe can run a franchise very effectively. Seems surprising that the Avs would make a move like this, but it would be a smart move and potentially give the Avs a good GM. I would imagine that the team would be torn down if he actually got a GM sort of role.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:52 AM
EdAVSfan

Hmm, being interviewed is a good sign. Shows he has interest at this point.

Anyone know if he interviewed with Arizona last year? They asked for permission, but from what I've read, he apparently said he wasn't ready. Curious to know if he interviewed then also.

EdAVSfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:55 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Hopefully there's a link for this, I'd like to hear the context. It has to be for GM because he's already an AGM, no?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/m...ak-kyle-dubas/

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:20 AM
xbestboybandever

I'm curious to see what happens.

I hate to say it, but Eklund of all people may have had a jump on this first. He had mentioned something about the possibility of Sakic stepping down. While I don't think Sakic will leave, I do think he will work closely with someone like Dubas to help shape the roster moving forward. I am also intrigued to see what happens to Bednar if a new GM comes on board.

xbestboybandever is offline   Reply With Quote