Logan Stanley - Part III

Old
05-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Well then it could be all fluff by his coach then.

Do Sergachev and Stanley play the same side?
Yes both lefties. Well Maurice did say at one time that Mark Stuart is a great pentalty killer. We all know that to be demonstratably untrue.

Coachs are always raving about their role players. It likely has to do with them often being very likable guys. I mean Stu and Thor are raved about by Mo all the time, probably because he really likes them as people. They are the type of guys that sacrifice a lot of their physical well being to play the game and that usually makes Coachs love them. We've seen it from virtually every coach in the league. Junior is no different.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Yes both lefties. Well Maurice did say at one time that Mark Stuart is a great pentalty killer. We all know that to be demonstratably untrue.

Coachs are always raving about their role players. It likely has to do with them often being very likable guys. I mean Stu and Thor are raved about by Mo all the time, probably because he really likes them as people. They are the type of guys that sacrifice a lot of their physical well being to play the game and that usually makes Coachs love them. We've seen it from virtually every coach in the league. Junior is no different.
A role player would have limited icetime. Stanley plays a lot from what I can tell. He would be a mainstay on there defense.

His offense needs work but his defensive play is pretty high at the Junior level. Windsor looks like a much different team with him in the lineup as well.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
A role player would have limited icetime. Stanley plays a lot from what I can tell. He would be a mainstay on there defense.

His offense needs work but his defensive play is pretty high at the Junior level. Windsor looks like a much different team with him in the lineup as well.
He definitely plays a secondsry shutdown role similar to Stuart with the Jets prior to last season. I noticed he usually gets off the ice as soon as Day gains the offensive zone. Not sure if this is something that the coaches have told him to do or what but its odd that his partner would stay on while he goes off and Sergachev comes on. Maybe they want to ease Stanley into offensive zone time or some other such non-sense but its odd either way. If I had to guess Stanley probably now plays the 4th most minutes of defencemen on Windsor behind Sergachev, Chatfield and Day.

Old
05-24-2017, 01:11 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Stanley is clearly one of the go-to D for the PK, though, including 5v3.
Yes he is on the 1st unit PK and they have one of if not the best PK's in the last 10 years of the OHL. That being said they accomplished that with and without him for a long stretch.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:17 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:

True enough but I think that's more on Maurices short comings with regards to not realizing what should be valued on the PK. Especially given he kept trotting Stuart out in a role he clearly sucks at. It at least appears Rocky knows what he's doing with regards to the PK given its near historical level of success.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:19 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
True enough but I think that's more on Maurices short comings with regards to not realizing what should be valued on the PK. Especially given he kept trotting Stuart out in a role he clearly sucks at. It at least appears Rocky knows what he's doing with regards to the PK given its near historical level of success.
Mo isn't alone I always laugh at how each fan base *****es about their coach's crazy blind spot for Glue type vets . It is an epidemic and no fan base is happy that I have found. Every coach has their own version Stu.

Old
05-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
I'd attribute a lot of that success to Sergachev and Chatfield myself but of it helps us feel better we can attribute it to Stanley as well. Sergachev is the driving force behind that team it's really noticable when you watch Windsor. They will be a lot worse off without him next year. Kids a workhorse.

Old
05-24-2017, 01:26 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Mo isn't alone I always laugh at how each fan base *****es about their coach's crazy blind spot for Glue type vets . It is an epidemic and no fan base is happy that I have found. Every coach has their own version Stu.
Absolutely Glass keeps getting minutes on a good team for some strange reason and Glass might be worse than Thor.

Old
05-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Absolutely Glass keeps getting minutes on a good team for some strange reason and Glass might be worse than Thor.
It's because he has a great personality and work ethic. I also read he's pretty fast for his size.

Old
05-24-2017, 01:44 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Quote:
It's because he has a great personality and work ethic. I also read he's pretty fast for his size.
I honestly think it's different when you are on the bench and living and travelling day to day with these guys. When I was younger and worked in and and hung out in bars more there would be those times when you needed someone to have you back or each crew of guys would have their toughest friend who would step up from time to time and I never forgot those times and had a level of gratitude that was deep and almost primal for the guys that had your back.

I don't think it's that different when you are running a bench or when some guy steps in for you on the ice. The team and the coaches feel a heightened loyalty to the players that admirably will spill blood to keep you safe. It may be their job but guys respect the hell out of the players who step up to do it.

easy for me to pass judgment from the cheap seats but if I was on the bench and the war of words was raging and the cheap shots started happening I can't pretend it wouldn't cloud my judgement.

Last edited by ps241: 05-24-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old
05-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Whileee

Quote:
He definitely plays a secondsry shutdown role similar to Stuart with the Jets prior to last season. I noticed he usually gets off the ice as soon as Day gains the offensive zone. Not sure if this is something that the coaches have told him to do or what but its odd that his partner would stay on while he goes off and Sergachev comes on. Maybe they want to ease Stanley into offensive zone time or some other such non-sense but its odd either way. If I had to guess Stanley probably now plays the 4th most minutes of defencemen on Windsor behind Sergachev, Chatfield and Day.
The pattern might also be related to conditioning. He was off for a very long time with a substantial injury.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 03:05 PM
surixon

Quote:
I honestly think it's different when you are on the bench and living and travelling day to day with these guys. When I was younger and worked in and and hung out in bars more there would be those times when you needed someone to have you back or each crew of guys would have their toughest friend who would step up from time to time and I never forgot those times and had a level of gratitude that was deep and almost primal for the guys that had your back.

I don't think it's that different when you are running a bench or when some guy steps in for you on the ice. The team and the coaches feel a heightened loyalty to the players that admirably will spill blood to keep you safe. It may be their job but guys respect the hell out of the players who step up to do it.

easy for me to pass judgment from the cheap seats but if I was on the bench and the war of words was raging and the cheap shots started happening I can't pretend it wouldn't cloud my judgement.
I definitely get that aspect of it. You never hear anyone on the team say anything but good things about Thor. The issue is that most teams nowadays are able to get by just fine without these types of players so the question is then how come the Jets continually lag behind other organizations in this regard.

Old
05-24-2017, 03:10 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
I'd attribute a lot of that success to Sergachev and Chatfield myself but of it helps us feel better we can attribute it to Stanley as well. Sergachev is the driving force behind that team it's really noticable when you watch Windsor. They will be a lot worse off without him next year. Kids a workhorse.
Quote:
The pattern might also be related to conditioning. He was off for a very long time with a substantial injury.
I am interested to see if Rocky hard matches against Strome and DeBrincat because they are on fire. Hopefully Stanley gets a few looks I would love to see how he meets that formidable challenge.

Old
05-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
I am interested to see if Rocky hard matches against Strome and DeBrincat because they are on fire. Hopefully Stanley gets a few looks I would love to see how he meets that formidable challenge.
I'll definitely post a full game review of Stanley after. I liked his game more against Seattle except for that one really odd play that he dumped it into the OZ from his own blueline with zero pressure. But he made some decent plays and actually had some PP time later in the 3rd.

Old
05-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
It's still odd. He was definitely off but I've never seen a coach limit a players offensive zone time during a conditioning stint. If anything that would be the time you'd give them more reps.

Old
05-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Stanley certainly is getting a good test in a tough tournament. The challenge really ramps up tonight. He's played it very safe, and I expect he'll continue in that approach.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 05:51 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Stanley certainly is getting a good test in a tough tournament. The challenge really ramps up tonight. He's played it very safe, and I expect he'll continue in that approach.
Looking forward to watching Stanley play tonight. It will be my first chance to watch a Memorial Cup game this year.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 05:56 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:

Agreed. And good post. Some of these guys grow to be close as brothers and they all know they are where they are for just a brief period in their life. Coaches respect players who carry themselves well and create a welcoming environment even as their own careers wind down. No doubt there is much that is out of our sight that is important to those on the ice and behind the bench.

Old
05-24-2017, 05:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Agreed. And good post. Some of these guys grow to be close as brothers and they all know they are where they are for just a brief period in their life. Coaches respect players who carry themselves well and create a welcoming environment even as their own careers wind down. No doubt there is much that is out of our sight that is important to those on the ice and behind the bench.
Aye, in part why coaches need objective influence from others to help prevent those biases from making suboptimal roster decisions.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 06:10 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Aye, in part why coaches need objective influence from others to help prevent those biases from making suboptimal roster decisions.
Fair comment and agree.

Old
05-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Joe Hallenback

Nice assist so far tonight. Played about 5 minutes of the first 8 of the game

Old
05-24-2017, 06:45 PM
HannuJ

very, very nice breakout pass by Stanley for a goal

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Joe Hallenback

He almost scored on his net ala Steve Smith that same play

Old
05-24-2017, 06:50 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
very, very nice breakout pass by Stanley for a goal
Nice. Got the game taping at home and will watch and give my comments after I watch it.

Old
05-24-2017, 06:51 PM
ruffus23

just drew a penalty. bit of a hack job!

stanley looked decent.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote