Logan Stanley - Part III

Old
05-24-2017, 08:56 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Stanley with a bit of bonehead play there lucky there isn't more time. Maybe he planned it but I doubt it.
Looked planned to me. Force a faceoff with little time left and guarantee the win rather than a clear break behind you for a quick goal. Actually pretty heads up.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Jets4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRenegade View Post
So, what you're saying is that Stanley could be a higher scoring bigger better Chiarot!
If he is good defensively & hopefully great on the PK with that reach, I would be happy with that. The Jets took a bit of a risk on their 2nd First rounder, I'm good with that and have faith, give it some time!
Where did I say this?

Jets4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Looked planned to me. Force a faceoff with little time left and guarantee the win rather than a clear break behind you for a quick goal. Actually pretty heads up.
Could have been or he just saw an opening to put a big hit on someone and knew it wouldn't matter with a 11 seconds left haha

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Jimby
Reformed Optimist

vCash: 168
I just watched the last two periods. Stanley played a pretty simple game. I doubt he broke a sweat during the game. As good as Sergachev is - his pairing did get hemmed in a couple of times. Once for a long stretch with multiple icings where he failed to clear a few times.

Jimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:04 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I just watched the last two periods. Stanley played a pretty simple game. I doubt he broke a sweat during the game. As good as Sergachev is - his pairing did get hemmed in a couple of times. Once for a long stretch with multiple icings where he failed to clear a few times.
Yeah Windsor was definitely hanging on for deer life for a little bit, especially at the end. Once that Debrincat, Strome line gets set up it's tough to get the puck away. Keep in mind Sergachev probably plays close to 50% of the game, every night.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:07 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Could have been or he just saw an opening to put a big hit on someone and knew it wouldn't matter with a 11 seconds left haha
Except it wasn't really a big hit but rather a pure interference to keep the player from a clean break. Nothing I saw from Stanley tonight suggested he looked for big hits. He plays a very conservative game and pretty much ground Strome down.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Whileee

Simple game by Stanley. Played conservatively, which is all he can do at this stage in this situation. Kept with the Erie forwards well enough. Still has a long way to go.

Sergachev is marvelous.

Day's skating is sublime, but he really doesn't seem to know where to be or what to do with the puck if he isn't carrying it.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Except it wasn't really a big hit but rather a pure interference to keep the player from a clean break. Nothing I saw from Stanley tonight suggested he looked for big hits. He plays a very conservative game and pretty much ground Strome down.
There was one time in the 1st he went for a big hit on DeBrincat in the corner and DeBrincat just does a complete 180 and Stanley flies by him as DeBrincat gets a chance but shoots it right into DiPietro's crest.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:13 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Simple game by Stanley. Played conservatively, which is all he can do at this stage in this situation. Kept with the Erie forwards well enough. Still has a long way to go.

Sergachev is marvelous.

Day's skating is sublime, but he really doesn't seem to know where to be or what to do with the puck if he isn't carrying it.
With his skills he really should be a better hockey player. Is he any relation to Bogosian

Old
05-24-2017, 09:13 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:

Sergachev is marvelous.

Yeah Day has a long road ahead as well. Getting out of Miss. was probably a really good first step in his development as Windsor is much more comfortable activating their dmen. Day is free to roam which makes him a major threat offensively. He's a lot like Makar in that way. Hell of a player with the puck but when it's not on his stick in the dzone he just puck watches. Day made a hell of a defensive play in the 3rd though to keep Erie from getting a high danger chance.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:14 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
There was one time in the 1st he went for a big hit on DeBrincat in the corner and DeBrincat just does a complete 180 and Stanley flies by him as DeBrincat gets a chance but shoots it right into DiPietro's crest.
But that's not really a big hit. That's a 20 X's a game type of hit. I see big hits more of the big risk middle of the ice line up.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
But that's not really a big hit. That's a 20 X's a game type of hit. I see big hits more of the big risk middle of the ice line up.
Wasn't a lot chances for one though. He typically hangs a bit further back. But sure it was a smart play he definitely meant to do it. We'll give him a freebie to make us feel better.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:22 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Wasn't a lot chances for one though. He typically hangs a bit further back. But sure it was a smart play he definitely meant to do it. We'll give him a freebie to make us feel better.
I cheer on all our prospects equally. I'm a homer and like them all. Once they are in the organization I see them as one of our own. I will always go out of my way to see the positives rather then search for things to criticize.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Safe game though. He'll be a typical glass and out kind of guy I think from all the viewings I've gathered. Saw a bit of an offensive flair from him on the assist in the 1st. Next year will be a huge year in his development as Sergachev, Chatfield and Day are all likely to be gone so he will be top dog. That is a lot of situations open for him. If he can't be a solid offensive QB for them they will likely not be nearly as good next year.

Last edited by Daximus: 05-24-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old
05-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
I cheer on all our prospects equally. I'm a homer and like them all. Once they are in the organization I see them as one of our own. I will always go out of my way to see the positives rather then search for things to criticize.
I'm always looking for a balance. I can't just sit here and be Mr. Bright Eyes for every guy in the organization. Every guy has to separate himself from every other guy in the organization for me. One of the many reasons I was so hard on Armia when he first got here. Or Petan. They have to show me that they are better options than their counterparts both on the team and in the org. My choices obviously may not get more playing time or they may get a lot because I don't make the decisions but I will still be just as harsh on them because I want us to ice the best team possible. Right now Stanley doesn't have much competition in this org. Chiarot, Stu, Melchiori, Stait, Kichton are not much competition at all. Niku is probably his biggest competition. Morrissey has him lapped about 20 times over. I'm hoping the organization adds some more guys to really push Stanley.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:41 PM
surixon

Quote:
Safe game though. He'll be a typical glass and out kind of guy I think from all the viewings I've gathered. Saw a bit of an offensive flair from him on the assist in the 1st. Next year will be a huge year in his development as Sergachev, Chatfield and Day are all likely to be gone so he will be top dog. That is a lot of situations open for him. If he can't be a solid offensive QB for them they will likely not be nearly as good next year.
Not really sure the typical glass and out comment is fair. While I'm only starting the 2nd he's only went off the boards and out once so far and the once was calculated as it went right to his teammate.

Other than that he's looked for the breakout pass and puck has exited the zone with control about 4 of 5 times. The other time it was the winger he passed it to who chipped it out and lost control.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Not really sure the typical glass and out comment is fair. While I'm only starting the 2nd he's only went off the boards and out once so far and the once was calculated as it went right to his teammate.

Other than that he's looked for the breakout pass and puck has exited the zone with control about 4 of 5 times. The other time it was the winger he passed it to who chipped it out and lost control.
Game 1 and 2 he glassed and out a lot. I noticed it a lot this game. I suppose it may come down to how critical we all are. Lots of people think Stuart is a great defencemen too. Glassing and out isn't a bad thing as long as you do it at the right time.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:49 PM
surixon

Quote:
Game 1 and 2 he glassed and out a lot. I noticed it a lot this game. I suppose it may come down to how critical we all are. Lots of people think Stuart is a great defencemen too. Glassing and out isn't a bad thing as long as you do it at the right time.
No disagreements on the first two games (he clearly was rusty and not confident with the puck in those ones) Well I'll continue to track as I go through this one. It's pen and paper time.

Old
05-24-2017, 09:57 PM
Hobby Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
That is the most terrifying post i've ever seen.

Bogo is ok, though.

Hobby Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Bryzgalovs Cat
Easy 2 points

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby Bull View Post

Bogo is ok, though.
Terrifying, how? I see Bogosian and Valibik (Valibik was awful, no question), and a bunch of 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounders. Odds are, we're not going to pick top-4s in the later rounds - they commonly go in the 1st and 2nd.

Bryzgalovs Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 10:38 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby Bull View Post

Bogo is ok, though.

While I definitely think that there is much room for improvement with how the Jets rate defensman let's put some perspective on this list.

Let's be honest Bogo would have destroyed all the scoring and height based analytic metrics that are becoming more previliant these days. Bogo was an excellent pick utilizing score based models (He's an excellent example of how these models can be fallible) and really contradicts the points that Garret is trying to make here.

Outside of that he's 1 for 5 (20%) with regards to getting an NHL defender third round and beyond which is probably about what the probability is of getting an NHL player in those draft spots.

The big one is the miss on Valibik.

Jury is still out on Stanley.

Old
05-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
While I definitely think that there is much room for improvement with how the Jets rate defensman let's put some perspective on this list.

Let's be honest Bogo would have destroyed all the scoring and height based analytic metrics that are becoming more previliant these days. Bogo was an excellent pick utilizing score based models (He's an excellent example of how these models can be fallible) and really contradicts the points that Garret is trying to make here.

Outside of that he's 1 for 5 (20%) with regards to getting an NHL defender third round and beyond which is probably about what the probability is of getting an NHL player in those draft spots.

The big one is the miss on Valibik.

Jury is still out on Stanley.
Wonder who was behind the Coburn pick.

Old
05-24-2017, 11:12 PM
surixon

Quote:
Wonder who was behind the Coburn pick.
Was he even part of the staff on 2003?

Old
05-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Was he even part of the staff on 2003?
No some one else was behind that one. Likely whomever the WHL scouts were.

Old
05-24-2017, 11:34 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
As an aside, how friggin good is Sergachev already? Man I wish we had this kid.

As another aside how friggin good is this entire Spitfires team? They activate Serge, Day and Chatfield at will. Reminds me of watching Tri-City in the Dub. Defencemen are always in the play.
Quote:
Sergachev is dynamite. A real stud.
Quote:
There's just nothing he can't do. Chatfield is looking really good tonight to. Between Sergachev, Chatifeld and Day it's like having 3 incredible skaters who can play both ends of the ice. I think Windsor has this Mem Cup in the bag.
He looked incredible tonight. He is so much better in his own end now than when I saw him in his draft year. Very complete talent that has all the tools. I could watch that kid play hockey all night.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote