Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
your avatar suggests you may have a bias here

Old
05-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
I think it all depends on whether or not they are actually guaranteed top-three lottery odds for three or four years, or whatever. It was reported, by decent sources, very early in the announcements but has barely been mentioned in the last year.
Next year Vegas will slot in based on their season record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017...xpansion_Draft

The expansion team is guaranteed the same odds in the draft lottery as third lowest finishing team from the 201617 NHL season for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft; after their first season the team will be subject to same draft lottery rules as the other teams in the league.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:47 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
your avatar suggests you may have a bias here
Did you see how well he played down the stretch for the Moose? Connor is not a player the Jets should trade.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:52 AM
portamoral

Quote:
Feel like the best thing we could do this summer (maybe besides adding a goalie) is trade Connor for a LHD.
i feel like that may be up there for the dumbest thing we could do this summer actually.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Did you see how well he played down the stretch for the Moose? Connor is not a player the Jets should trade.
Think of the Dman he could return.

We have potentially 3 Top 15 wingers in the league. How many do you need?

This is why you draft BPA, because you deal from strength.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:06 AM
ffh

vCash: 50
Quote:

Trading trouba or myers fixes both sides on the defence alot easier and cheaper.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Sorry Mort: I only care about me. I'm selfish that way. I hear you, and understand. I'm personally going to reserve judgement to see what transpires this off-season before dusting off my pitchfork.
That's where I'm at too except that I know I need to see something good to rebuild confidence. Neutral/marking time won't do it. Pitchfork's not out yet but I know where it is.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:40 AM
surixon

Well I'm expecting going into the season with the same coaching staff so while I have reservations I'm going to try not to fret about it.

While Maurice isn't the favorite of many posters on here last year was really his first real poor year for us. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but he has a good track record with regards to 5 on 5 play. If he can tweak his systems so that they revolve more around the pieces we have than I feel a return to being a top 10 shot metric team is in the cards.

Kompton has run top 10 Pp's in the league so I'm optimistic if he is left to his devices our PP will improve greatly.

Having said that Maurice doesn't seem to have a clue on player accountability and there needs to be an intervention with regards to his PK.

Chevy to me just needs to plug a couple of holes and he's done a good job this summer for me.

Platoon goalie, depth PK vet forward that can drive possession. Upgrade on Chariot for the bottom pairing.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:41 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:

I'd rather deal Roslovic of the 2, but would rather keep both. Connor has top line upside.

The best solution is to trade 13th pick for top 4 LHD.

Old
05-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

It certainly depends on what comes back, but trading Connor now would feel a bit like Washington trading away Forsberg. If someone wants to overpay, fine (e.g. Ekholm for Connor). If we're talking Connor for Marc Methot or something, then no thanks.

Old
05-29-2017, 12:06 PM
JBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
It certainly depends on what comes back, but trading Connor now would feel a bit like Washington trading away Forsberg. If someone wants to overpay, fine (e.g. Ekholm for Connor). If we're talking Connor for Marc Methot or something, then no thanks.
I'm not sure Ekholm for Connor is an overpayment. Close in value but Ekholm is a beast.

Old
05-29-2017, 12:22 PM
bumblebeeman

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I agree, especially for someone as risk averse as Chevy, trading Connor would have to return a extremely solid piece. I could see Lemieux or Petan being potential trade bait though.

Old
05-29-2017, 12:27 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

My hunch is this is going to be the first active, aggressive, off season of Chevy's tenure in Winnipeg.

Old
05-29-2017, 12:36 PM
SLAYER
GO JETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
My hunch is this is going to be the first active, aggressive, off season of Chevy's tenure in Winnipeg.
I've had that feeling as well, really hope it plays out. Would love to finally see some action.

Freaked out big time when the Kane & Bogo trade happened, was exciting.

Hearts Racin', Cup Chasin'
Old
05-29-2017, 12:52 PM
surixon

Quote:
I hope he isn't overly aggressive. We don't need that many pieces so I hope be doesn't go looking for massive upgrades to certain positions if they aren't needed.

What do you think he looks to accomplish?

Old
05-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I think it highly unlikely that CHevy is going to be aggressive this off-season.

That's not to say he'll be inactive. Signing a goalie to split starts with Hellebuyck, and signing a depth defenceman, fits well with Chevy's past behaviour.

Old
05-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I think it highly unlikely that CHevy is going to be aggressive this off-season.

That's not to say he'll be inactive. Signing a goalie to split starts with Hellebuyck, and signing a depth defenceman, fits well with Chevy's past behaviour.
Stand Pat Gillick is an example that doesn't fit your model

Old
05-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Stand Pat Gillick is an example that doesn't fit your model
I'm not saying it's impossible for Chevy to make a blockbuster trade or two. I just wouldn't go about predicting it.

Old
05-29-2017, 02:05 PM
surixon

Quote:
I'm not saying it's impossible for Chevy to make a blockbuster trade or two. I just wouldn't go about predicting it.
Good thing the Jets don't need a blockbuster trade to fill the few roster holes we have.

Plus past behavior would indicate that he is more than happy to make moves to shore up areas when he feels the team is close. Cough deadline 2014 -15 cough.

Old
05-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Yukon Joe

From a Down Goes Brown article telling fans of the 29 other franchises who they should cheer for in the SCF:

Quote:
Winnipeg Jets

Poile put the finishing touches on the Predators with a pair of jaw-dropping trades last summer's Subban-for-Weber blockbuster, and the nearly-as-big Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones deal from the season before. If anything could accomplish the seemingly impossible task of reminding Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff that trading is allowed in the NHL, a Predators' Cup win would have a shot.

Pick: Predators
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...nhls-29-teams/

Old
05-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
I'd rather deal Roslovic of the 2, but would rather keep both. Connor has top line upside.

The best solution is to trade 13th pick for top 4 LHD.
I think Connor could provide a better return than Roslovic, and Roslovic feels a need as a top 6 centre. But I would be fine if that's what it took.

If #13 could return a Top4 as well, i'd be in favour of it. I just think Connor is our best chip in returning the best solution.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:03 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
I've had that feeling as well, really hope it plays out. Would love to finally see some action.

Freaked out big time when the Kane & Bogo trade happened, was exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I hope he isn't overly aggressive. We don't need that many pieces so I hope be doesn't go looking for massive upgrades to certain positions if they aren't needed.

What do you think he looks to accomplish?
Quote:

I don't want to give the impression that my senses are telling me Kevin is going Jim Nill on us this off season or anything but I do sense he will be active. A few things are different this off season.

First off I believe our window opened last season but will assume for now Chevy didn't see it that way and hedged his bets for one more season. I think we all agree (including TNSE) it's game on now. I don't think they are going to sit back and blow off another season of the prime Scheifele era.

Secondly, XD will create away more movement than normal and with that movement comes deal flow opportunity. I believe the sub XD market will be active before, during, and after the XD and we will be a part of that action. I don't think TNSE want to lose Lowry or Matty P so they need to figure it out.

Thirdly, this draft is pretty unique and with such a big tier around our pick and because our prospect cupboard is in better shape it opens up options for us. Now usually people huff and puff and very little happens on draft day as far as movement goes but who knows this season?

Fourth, Pavs is gone now (dah) and yes we have to upgrade. He clears up room and cap space. We all know this but I also believe Chevy gets it and they can't afford half measures here.

Fiddy, I sense they may want to rebalance our D portfolio if they get the opportunity. I don't think this will be full Florida Panthers 2016 off season but I would not be surprised to see movement.

Summary: The time is finally right and the uniqueness of this off season should provide the means.

To be crystal clear I am not saying we need to do much, I think we really only need to fix the net but I do think Chevy will participate in a more vibrant market.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:26 PM
surixon

Quote:
I don't want to give the impression that my senses are telling me Kevin is going Jim Nill on us this off season or anything but I do sense he will be active. A few things are different this off season.

First off I believe our window opened last season but will assume for now Chevy didn't see it that way and hedged his bets for one more season. I think we all agree (including TNSE) it's game on now. I don't think they are going to sit back and blow off another season of the prime Scheifele era.

Secondly, XD will create away more movement than normal and with that movement comes deal flow opportunity. I believe the sub XD market will be active before, during, and after the XD and we will be a part of that action. I don't think TNSE want to lose Lowry or Matty P so they need to figure it out.

Thirdly, this draft is pretty unique and with such a big tier around our pick and because our prospect cupboard is in better shape it opens up options for us. Now usually people huff and puff and very little happens on draft day as far as movement goes but who knows this season?

Fourth, Pavs is gone now (dah) and yes we have to upgrade. He clears up room and cap space. We all know this but I also believe Chevy gets it and they can't afford half measures here.

Fiddy, I sense they may want to rebalance our D portfolio if they get the opportunity. I don't think this will be full Florida Panthers 2016 off season but I would not be surprised to see movement.

Summary: The time is finally right and the uniqueness of this off season should provide the means.

To be crystal clear I am not saying we need to do much, I think we really only need to fix the net but I do think Chevy will participate in a more vibrant market.
I agree with much of this. I think the organization realizes it's now time.

I have no doubt we bring in a goalie to challenge Helle. I'm not as sure on the rebalancing on the defense but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in another good LD somehow. I also think we get another depth forward.

After that it will be up to Maurice to get the team playing as a cohesive unit, imo he won't be given that much rope despite the vote of confidence.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Next year Vegas will slot in based on their season record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017...xpansion_Draft

The expansion team is guaranteed the same odds in the draft lottery as third lowest finishing team from the 201617 NHL season for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft; after their first season the team will be subject to same draft lottery rules as the other teams in the league.
Where do you see that? Looked through that link and only see references to 2017 draft. Googled rest of expansion rules but can't find anything now. Can't filter out expansion draft and 2017 entry draft rules. All the hits are on those 2 things.

It was certainly widely published when the expansion rules were announced that Vegas would get no worse than odds equal to those of the third last finisher for several years.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Who do you think he could return? Chabot was drafted immediately after him. I doubt we get Chabot.

We might get a highly touted, highly drafted D man who has disappointed to date.

I don't think we get a proven but still young, really good Dman unless we package other assets.

Closed Thread