Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Well I'm expecting going into the season with the same coaching staff so while I have reservations I'm going to try not to fret about it.

While Maurice isn't the favorite of many posters on here last year was really his first real poor year for us. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but he has a good track record with regards to 5 on 5 play. If he can tweak his systems so that they revolve more around the pieces we have than I feel a return to being a top 10 shot metric team is in the cards.

Kompton has run top 10 Pp's in the league so I'm optimistic if he is left to his devices our PP will improve greatly.

Having said that Maurice doesn't seem to have a clue on player accountability and there needs to be an intervention with regards to his PK.

Chevy to me just needs to plug a couple of holes and he's done a good job this summer for me.

Platoon goalie, depth PK vet forward that can drive possession. Upgrade on Chariot for the bottom pairing.
That's 3 good off-season moves. Has Chevy ever had 3 good acquisitions in one off-season before? Or even 2? You left out drafting well and signing some of our players who are due.

I'd be happy with less if he just gets it right. First 3 rounds of the draft. A starting goalie. Signing existing players.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
My hunch is this is going to be the first active, aggressive, off season of Chevy's tenure in Winnipeg.
I've had that feeling come and go. It goes more than it comes but it is there on my good days.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:52 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
That's 3 good off-season moves. Has Chevy ever had 3 good acquisitions in one off-season before? Or even 2? You left out drafting well and signing some of our players who are due.

I'd be happy with less if he just gets it right. First 3 rounds of the draft. A starting goalie. Signing existing players.
I guess it depends on what your definitions on moves are. I would also settle for the above.

I didn't include the draft and signify our guys as I was really only looki g at it from an immediate player acquisition point of view.

I expect Little will get inked and the Jets to have a good draft. Not sure on Trouba.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Who do you think he could return? Chabot was drafted immediately after him. I doubt we get Chabot.

We might get a highly touted, highly drafted D man who has disappointed to date.

I don't think we get a proven but still young, really good Dman unless we package other assets.
I doubt we get Chabot too. Doesn't mean the value isn't close. Maybe Sanheim and a pick. Maybe Lauzon and a pick. Maybe Fowler and a first . Maybe Murray and a pick. It just depends on who wants a cheap top line scorer. If no one does, we keep him.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Good thing the Jets don't need a blockbuster trade to fill the few roster holes we have.

Plus past behavior would indicate that he is more than happy to make moves to shore up areas when he feels the team is close. Cough deadline 2014 -15 cough.
Quote:
I don't want to give the impression that my senses are telling me Kevin is going Jim Nill on us this off season or anything but I do sense he will be active. A few things are different this off season.

First off I believe our window opened last season but will assume for now Chevy didn't see it that way and hedged his bets for one more season. I think we all agree (including TNSE) it's game on now. I don't think they are going to sit back and blow off another season of the prime Scheifele era.

Secondly, XD will create away more movement than normal and with that movement comes deal flow opportunity. I believe the sub XD market will be active before, during, and after the XD and we will be a part of that action. I don't think TNSE want to lose Lowry or Matty P so they need to figure it out.

Thirdly, this draft is pretty unique and with such a big tier around our pick and because our prospect cupboard is in better shape it opens up options for us. Now usually people huff and puff and very little happens on draft day as far as movement goes but who knows this season?

Fourth, Pavs is gone now (dah) and yes we have to upgrade. He clears up room and cap space. We all know this but I also believe Chevy gets it and they can't afford half measures here.

Fiddy, I sense they may want to rebalance our D portfolio if they get the opportunity. I don't think this will be full Florida Panthers 2016 off season but I would not be surprised to see movement.

Summary: The time is finally right and the uniqueness of this off season should provide the means.

To be crystal clear I am not saying we need to do much, I think we really only need to fix the net but I do think Chevy will participate in a more vibrant market.
We only need an upgrade in net but if the circumstances present opportunities to go beyond that we should certainly be prepared to take those opportunities.

Old
05-29-2017, 04:00 PM
SLAYER
GO JETS GO

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't want to give the impression that my senses are telling me Kevin is going Jim Nill on us this off season or anything but I do sense he will be active. A few things are different this off season.

First off I believe our window opened last season but will assume for now Chevy didn't see it that way and hedged his bets for one more season. I think we all agree (including TNSE) it's game on now. I don't think they are going to sit back and blow off another season of the prime Scheifele era.

Secondly, XD will create away more movement than normal and with that movement comes deal flow opportunity. I believe the sub XD market will be active before, during, and after the XD and we will be a part of that action. I don't think TNSE want to lose Lowry or Matty P so they need to figure it out.

Thirdly, this draft is pretty unique and with such a big tier around our pick and because our prospect cupboard is in better shape it opens up options for us. Now usually people huff and puff and very little happens on draft day as far as movement goes but who knows this season?

Fourth, Pavs is gone now (dah) and yes we have to upgrade. He clears up room and cap space. We all know this but I also believe Chevy gets it and they can't afford half measures here.

Fiddy, I sense they may want to rebalance our D portfolio if they get the opportunity. I don't think this will be full Florida Panthers 2016 off season but I would not be surprised to see movement.

Summary: The time is finally right and the uniqueness of this off season should provide the means.

To be crystal clear I am not saying we need to do much, I think we really only need to fix the net but I do think Chevy will participate in a more vibrant market.

This is an excellent post.

I'm not expecting Jim Nill type action, just a couple solid moves to help the team. Anything is exciting at this point.

Hearts Racin', Cup Chasin'
Old
05-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I doubt we get Chabot too. Doesn't mean the value isn't close. Maybe Sanheim and a pick. Maybe Lauzon and a pick. Maybe Fowler and a first . Maybe Murray and a pick. It just depends on who wants a cheap top line scorer. If no one does, we keep him.
I don't know that he is perceived as a top line scorer yet or if he has to prove it in the NHL first. Of course the same applies to Chabot. He isn't NHL proven either. But prospect for prospect trades just don't seem to happen. Or at least not high value prospects.

I'm just as bad myself. Connor's last half season was tantalizing. I hesitate to give him up for a Sanheim or a Lauzon even though both are players I have coveted and both fit a need.

Old
05-29-2017, 07:40 PM
ducky

I keep Connor. I think he will be a 40 goal guy in a couple years.

Old
05-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
I don't know that he is perceived as a top line scorer yet or if he has to prove it in the NHL first. Of course the same applies to Chabot. He isn't NHL proven either. But prospect for prospect trades just don't seem to happen. Or at least not high value prospects.

I'm just as bad myself. Connor's last half season was tantalizing. I hesitate to give him up for a Sanheim or a Lauzon even though both are players I have coveted and both fit a need.
I only said "top line scorer" because that was the argument presented against trading him earlier.

It's funny but we all drool over Chabot and McAvoy because of the WJC this year. In another year, they may be still in the A. ( though it's hard to see)

Whether it is Connor or someone else, we've built up a deep forward group with three guys (Connor, Roslo, Petan) looking for a spot. We should trade someone for a D.

Old
05-29-2017, 08:41 PM
ffh

Quote:
I only said "top line scorer" because that was the argument presented against trading him earlier.

It's funny but we all drool over Chabot and McAvoy because of the WJC this year. In another year, they may be still in the A. ( though it's hard to see)

Whether it is Connor or someone else, we've built up a deep forward group with three guys (Connor, Roslo, Petan) looking for a spot. We should trade someone for a D.
Myers or trouba will play ld next year or the player they get traded for will. Absolutely no need to trade connor or roslovic. My guess it happens at draft.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Gil Fisher

Myers isn't returning anything in trade until he can prove his health.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:34 PM
ffh

Quote:
Im sure all the medical records would be checked and would have to pass physical. There have been no reports of anything career threatening so a trade should be no problem.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
I'm sure if Myers is traded this summee the acquiring team would require that he passes a physical first. Most trades do.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
I'm sure if Myers is traded this summee the acquiring team would require that he passes a physical first. Most trades do.
Obviously. Yet still i don't think he returns much of anything without proving his health in hockey games.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:42 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Obviously. Yet still i don't think he returns much of anything without proving his health in hockey games.
If he isn't returning anything he isn't getting traded. I think teams trust their medical staff's more than your post suggests. Either he's healthy or he's not.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
If he isn't returning anything he isn't getting traded. I think teams trust their medical staff's more than your post suggests. Either he's healthy or he's not.
Your first point is my point. I disagree with your second but we can move on.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:23 PM
10Ducky10

Myers to AZ.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:26 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Myers to AZ.
That is a realistic destination for him due to them needing to hit the cap floor while not being able to spend much money.

What do they have to trade for him?

Old
05-29-2017, 10:46 PM
ffh

Quote:
That is a realistic destination for him due to them needing to hit the cap floor while not being able to spend much money.

What do they have to trade for him?
Trade trouba and 13oa to arizona for chychrun and 7oa

Old
05-29-2017, 10:47 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
That is worse value than Trouba for the third overall pick alone.

Old
05-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Im sure all the medical records would be checked and would have to pass physical. There have been no reports of anything career threatening so a trade should be no problem.
I think it takes more than just passing a physical. At least if we want to get full value.

Old
05-29-2017, 11:18 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
I'd think about it for Chychrun and the 7OA but wouldn't add our 13th.

Old
05-29-2017, 11:42 PM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I'd think about it for Chychrun and the 7OA but wouldn't add our 13th.
this would not be a fair trade for Arizona. he played 16 minutes a game on the left side and is on a elc and who many see as good now and very good soon. if we can get a ld to play 18-20 minutes and score 25-30 points as a 19 year old and move up 7 spots on draft that's a fair trade.

Old
05-30-2017, 12:00 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
this would not be a fair trade for Arizona. he played 16 minutes a game on the left side and is on a elc and who many see as good now and very good soon. if we can get a ld to play 18-20 minutes and score 25-30 points as a 19 year old and move up 7 spots on draft that's a fair trade.
You'll have a hard time convincing anyone else that is fair value for Trouba. If he doesn't return a kings ransom no one wants him dealt.

Old
05-30-2017, 12:12 AM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
You'll have a hard time convincing anyone else that is fair value for Trouba. If he doesn't return a kings ransom no one wants him dealt.
all trades proposals are based on trouba not wanting to re-sign. no one is advocating trading him if he wants to stay.

Closed Thread