HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Will hockey ever return to Houston?

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2017, 02:46 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
FWIW when Jets owner Mark Chipman pitched Winnipeg to the executive committee in 2007 there was also a pitch from Houston (in addition to Kansas City, Seattle and Las Vegas). So there has been some interest in the somewhat recent past. Curious as to who would have been making the pitch.

Old
05-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaf1210 View Post
Would Austin make a better landing spot for an expansion team? Not very familiar with the area but just from looking at a map and existing sports franchises, seems like Austin would be ideal. Fairly close to both San Antonio and Houston, has a fun downtown area, and fast growing market with no pro sports franchises to compete with.
I have a friend who lives in Austin and took me to an Austin Ice Bats game.

Loved the logo.

Old
05-29-2017, 02:53 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroforce View Post
The Woodlands is about 32 miles north of downtown Houston, and yes, it is mostly affluent. Our 'shed' for concerts is there (Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavilion).

It's a trek getting there, traffic and parking are problematic, and being outside during the summer concert season here is a deal-breaker for me.

But that's only me; shows draw really well there. That, along with affluence, is probably why the Woodlands were suggested as a possible destination for a hockey rink.

I disagree, though. Its easier to get people to make that journey once or twice a year to see their favorite band. But 41 hockey games a year? I don't see it working.

As for anchor tenants, I've noticed many of the concerts coming through Toyota Center are scaling the arena. Some are even going half-house. That's still drawing more people than the AHL Aeros, who the Minnesota Wild barely spent a nickel promoting. But I would imagine an NHL team would equal or better that draw, especially when Eastern teams that draw well on the road visit.

And I don't know if it's a national trend, but a new venue opened in another wealthy suburb, Sugarland, called the Smart Financial Center.

My guess is that it's geared toward acts that can draw up to 6,000 - 8,000, who have an older fan base that can afford to pay more for a more upscale experience than an outdoor shed. They've had acts like Sting, Don Henley, and Jerry Seinfeld.

Fewer tickets are sold, but prices are higher. So far it seems to be a success, which could cut into business usually going to Toyota Center.
Not necessarily in the suburbs but yeah, venues like that are definitely becoming the trend. Here in the Triangle DPAC is the big one, as in addition to being able to bring in the big touring broadway stuff they've had groups like Pixies, BB King, Ben Folds, Alice Cooper, Wilco, The Moody Blues, Lewis Black, and Robin Williams among others. Only holds like 3K but it's always sold out and prices are a good bit higher then you'd pay for one of the outdoor venues in the Triangle.

Old
05-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
My recollection (and seemingly confirmed by a wiki page) is that in the 92-93 expansion there were multiple other bidders for a franchise, but Tampa Bay was granted one one the sole strength that they were willing to pay, up front, the entire $50 million dollar expansion fee. Other teams wanted to pay less, or pay it over time.

So then, as now, there's almost zero "selection" going on - whomever can pony up the money (as much money as the league thinks it can get) will be in.
That's pretty much how the NHL has operated.

Whoever can pay gets in. But, what are the long term benefits of having each market? Wouldn't markets like Seattle, Houston, whomever be better than a couple of the places they went to?

NHL should have stayed in contact with Seattle and let them know that expansion will still be on the horizon later in the decade. So, go and find other partners. Maybe that helps Seattle/King county to pony up the money to build a new arena. In the end, Seattle lost out because the Sonics were sold and moved to OKC. They also got the short end of the stick.

Same with Houston. If Houston is a target, you wait on them, if you truly value the market. Would it have been that big an issue to only expand by 3 teams in the last round to make it 29? Wait another year or 2 before Houston is ready. Toyota Centre opened in 2003. The Wild started in 2000. Worst case, they play in the Compaq Centre until the new arena is ready.

Once the arena signs a lease with the NBA tenant, it's tough for an NHL team to get into the same arena since the NBA team would control the revenues. Only if the NHL is owned by the same owner as the NBA team. But, how often does that happen? Think it's the Rangers/Knicks, Caps/Wizards, Avs/Nuggets. Only 3/23 US based NHL teams, and 3/29 US NBA teams.

Even today, Phoenix/Scottsdale mayor wants a new multi-sport arena, but the Suns owner doesn't want to share since he knows the Coyotes situation and that they need to make a decision on their future real soon, whereas the Suns still have a lease with their arena for a few more years. He has time to wait out the Coyotes, then he will be able to get the new arena all to himself as the city won't want to lose an NBA team.

Old
05-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Aero 75

The possibility of a new arena in Austin to replace the Frank Erwin Center, is already in the planning stages
and could be built in the next 5-7 years. Based on remarks in the article, they "will look to design it to allow for versatility in hosting other events."
http://arenadigest.com/2017/04/11/un...-campus-arena/

Old
05-29-2017, 07:31 PM
jigglysquishy

I hate American southern expansion.

I that being said, I'm shocked the NHL hasn't gone to Houston. That and Seattle are the only logical places to move into in the States.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:04 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I have a friend who lives in Austin and took me to an Austin Ice Bats game.

Loved the logo.

and the Texas Stars now fill that void.....despite their rocky beginning, the one and only time anyone can remember a pro league executing a termination of a franchise and the issuing of a conditional one, as the Stars were....

I'm with you Aeroforce, it would be nice, but is it realistic to deal w/ Alexander in this day and time, and Watson and successors did the best they could aligning themselves with the Wild aka Minnesota Sports/Entertainment and aligning that contract split the way they engineered it, The Aeros aren't and won't be forgotten by anyone as a franchise, no matter how many incarnations and leagues they competed in, it's rare to see any franchise do that.

Old
05-30-2017, 10:16 AM
AustinCityLimits
All Hawks no Winter

A team here is DOA. The people of Austin don't want it, have little to no interest in hockey, and won't provide any city funding to build a stadium. Heck, they built that F1 track out in the middle of nowhere and people still complain about it.

Land is too expensive, interest is too low, and the market is far too small.

The only way you ever get anything close to Austin is to build something between San Antonio and Austin, but even then I live far enough away that I could never go to a hockey game.

Old
05-30-2017, 11:20 PM
JMROWE

I think the ship has sailed on Houston ever getting an NHL. team because both the city & Less Alexander are currently not interested or ever will be since the city of Houston has plenty of sports teams to support in the Astros , Rockets , Texans , Dynamo FC & the University of Houston & don't need a hockey team which will be a bottom feeder when it comes to sports in the Houston market .

In my opinion there are going to be at least 3 relocations & 1 more expansion team in the next 10 years my guess those cities won't be in any southern markets because those markets are spent I believe we are going see teams in Seattle , Portland , Quebec City & Southern Ontario (Hamilton) because those are no risk high reward markets that will be gold mines for the NHL.

Old
05-31-2017, 09:05 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
I think the ship has sailed on Houston ever getting an NHL. team because both the city & Less Alexander are currently not interested or ever will be since the city of Houston has plenty of sports teams to support in the Astros , Rockets , Texans , Dynamo FC & the University of Houston & don't need a hockey team which will be a bottom feeder when it comes to sports in the Houston market .
Fans of hockey don't necessarily have to be fans of other sports. Some people might follow football but could care less about baseball and some that like basketball may not like football or anything else. I don't think hockey fans in Houston should be excluded from the opportunity to have NHL hockey simply because there are other sports in town. Houston is large and has had a hockey history before so it wouldn't be like trying to introduce a new sport to the market. I'm not saying it will happen but I do think it's a market that deserves consideration.

Old
05-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

In my opinion there are going to be at least 3 relocations & 1 more expansion team in the next 10 years my guess those cities won't be in any southern markets because those markets are spent I believe we are going see teams in Seattle , Portland , Quebec City & Southern Ontario (Hamilton) because those are no risk high reward markets that will be gold mines for the NHL.
How has the ship sailed on Houston and not Hamilton.

Old
05-31-2017, 02:40 PM
zetastrike

Quote:

How are Portland and Seattle "no risk, high reward" markets? You really think they'll sell out their buildings if the teams are bad? There's enough corporate support for them and all the other sports they have? An NHL team would not be the top dog in either place, since they also have plenty of sports teams to support should the hockey team suck. The way some people think being an arbitrary distance from the equator is a magic bullet for success.

Old
05-31-2017, 02:56 PM
JMROWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
How has the ship sailed on Houston and not Hamilton.
Simple Southern Ontario (Hamilton) the demand & interest from the city & surrounding area & ownership is there while Houston there is very little demand & next to no interest is there from the city or the prospective owner Less Alexander .

There is little to no interest in non traditional NHL. Hockey markets like Houston & Kansas City for example that is why I see in the next 10 years 4 new NHL. cities 5 if Vegas doesn't pan out which it most likely won't after the Raiders come to town & we will the NHL. return to those traditional markets like Seattle , Portland , Quebec City , Southern Ontario (Hamilton) & maybe even Hartford .

Relocation - Coyotes
Relocation - Hurricanes
Relocation - Panthers
*Relocation - Golden Knights
Expansion - 1

Old
05-31-2017, 05:07 PM
zetastrike

Quote:
Simple Southern Ontario (Hamilton) the demand & interest from the city & surrounding area & ownership is there while Houston there is very little demand & next to no interest is there from the city or the prospective owner Less Alexander .

There is little to no interest in non traditional NHL. Hockey markets like Houston & Kansas City for example that is why I see in the next 10 years 4 new NHL. cities 5 if Vegas doesn't pan out which it most likely won't after the Raiders come to town & we will the NHL. return to those traditional markets like Seattle , Portland , Quebec City , Southern Ontario (Hamilton) & maybe even Hartford .

Relocation - Coyotes
Relocation - Hurricanes
Relocation - Panthers
Expansion - 1
This is the first I've heard of interested ownership in Hamilton. Demand all you want, there is no building or ownership in Hamilton, and you have 20 ton giant down the road that will squash any team that tries to set up shop there.

How do you know what people are interested in in places you've never been to or likely met anyone from?

As for your last paragraph and a half, spin around 3 times and say it backwards and maybe it will come true.

Old
05-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:

Relocation - Coyotes
Relocation - Hurricanes
Relocation - Panthers
Expansion - 1
Well.... some rather broad sweeping statements here JEFF that simply dont hold up to any objective thought & scrutiny Im afraid.... and rather unfair to be putting an asterisk beside Vegas when they havent even hit the ice, total unknown, could easily capture the hearts & minds of the market, turn into Nashville on Steroids for all we know. Give it a chance Man.... Florida is set for at least 7-10yrs, Carolina far from being doomed. We'll just see how much rope the league lets out on Karmanos if indeed its his plan to force an off-market sale... the Coyotes meanwhile, absolutely, that clubs in play however it seems the NHL based on their inaction to date intent on keeping them put, patiently waiting for Seattle to get its act together.... Kansas City is a total non-starter (no subsidies available) & Houstons out, nowhere to play..... meanwhile Hartford, I read the other day, City heading for Bankruptcy. That doesnt sound good..... Hamilton, and you know Im a huge supporter, just not on, wont happen without some super heavyweight money behind it & even then, the super heavyweights who might be interested are not stupid. It gonna cost them north of $1.5B to satisfy the NHL, Toronto, Buffalo, get a building up etc. Just how far north of $1.5B isnt known but were talking scary numbers. Wheres your ROI on that in this lifetime?

Old
05-31-2017, 05:43 PM
Brodie
voted best

A second Texas team would be the logical choice for team 32 if Seattle and QC are fodder for relocation. Austin would be the dream, but Houston could do.

Old
05-31-2017, 06:51 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Austin is very similar to Columbus as it is a government town with a huge university that plays big time college sports. With the right owner it could work.

The key would be having the University of Texas involved as a partner in building a new arena as Texas basketball currently plays in an arena 40 years old. Could Michael Dell get involved? It has potential.
And Texas wants a new basketball arena…

Quote:
For a big city with no team, the 'feel' of hockey is pretty strong in Houston. There are multiple facilities in nice areas that host rec and youth hockey. And someone at the Bruins' board even directed me to a curling club in Houston. There are lots of northerners living down here filling the rec leagues.

In addition to Houston's bad timing in the 70's, it may have been even worse in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Chuck Watson resuscitated the Aeros as an IHL team around '94, with the hopes of grooming the market for the NHL. He did a fantastic job; magnificent job promoting, the players were active in the community, the team was great, and the city embraced them.

Unfortunately Watson and Les Alexander didn't get along. On the heels of delivering the city's only major championships with the Rockets, there was no way Watson was going to get the arena over Alexander.

It's unbelievably unfortunate; we have a giant, diverse city with lots of corporate support, a modern arena in a great location, built in rivalry with Dallas - and no chance of getting a team.

The slim hope I have is when Les Alexander finally relegates control to heirs, the next generation may be more open to the idea of an NHL team.

Yeah, it was incredibly bad luck/timing, and could have been overcome with communication between the City of Houston and the NHL.

The City of Houston was basically saying “We’re building ONE arena, so you two need to come to an agreement” with Alexander and Watson, but they were each trying to use the NHL team as the trump card to get control of a new arena to themselves. The NHL had three different Houston bids, and because NONE had an arena plan in place, the NHL passed on all three.

It’s too bad the Sports Commission and NHL didn’t talk directly. If Houston said “Look, we’re going to building a new arena. Soon. Our problem is cutting a deal while not knowing if someone owns an NHL team. So let’s talk this out and make a decision together:

- Watson’s a hockey guy, but his ownership of an NHL team makes a lease negotiation harder, because these guys don’t work well together.
- Alexander isn’t necessarily a hockey guy, but might be the best option in terms of one owner and primary leaseholder makes both teams more profitable.
- Or you can pass on Houston and have realignment hell, no rivalry for Dallas and a terrible travel itinerary for all their games, and not get TV ratings here.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I hate American southern expansion.

I that being said, I'm shocked the NHL hasn't gone to Houston. That and Seattle are the only logical places to move into in the States.
I understand. And I have very similar feelings for a number of markets, both “that’s not a good idea, don’t do it… ARGH, I wish they were somewhere else” and “When the hell is the NHL finally going to get or get back to…”

But one thing that should be kept in mind is that just because there are teams in the American south not doing so hot, that doesn’t make all American southern markets bad for the NHL.

A second team in Texas is something that should have been done long before now.

The Austin vs Houston concept is actually a very good topic. Because while Houston would be a TV market everyone wants, Austin might be able to get you Houston, Austin AND San Antonio. And an NHL team going to the market where Dallas’ AHL team is located is also a nice start to the impeding rivalry.

The NHL does the best in markets where the SPORTS fans of the market jump into NHL fandom because the NHL is the first Big Four/Five team there. And Austin is ripe for that.
But Houston is tough to pass up.

If you put a team in Austin, you’d almost have to call them the “Texas _______” which would tick off Dallas. And that’d be great for the rivalry.

Old
05-31-2017, 10:54 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
And Texas wants a new basketball arena…

Yeah, it was incredibly bad luck/timing, and could have been overcome with communication between the City of Houston and the NHL.

The City of Houston was basically saying “We’re building ONE arena, so you two need to come to an agreement” with Alexander and Watson, but they were each trying to use the NHL team as the trump card to get control of a new arena to themselves. The NHL had three different Houston bids, and because NONE had an arena plan in place, the NHL passed on all three.

It’s too bad the Sports Commission and NHL didn’t talk directly. If Houston said “Look, we’re going to building a new arena. Soon. Our problem is cutting a deal while not knowing if someone owns an NHL team. So let’s talk this out and make a decision together:

- Watson’s a hockey guy, but his ownership of an NHL team makes a lease negotiation harder, because these guys don’t work well together.
- Alexander isn’t necessarily a hockey guy, but might be the best option in terms of one owner and primary leaseholder makes both teams more profitable.
- Or you can pass on Houston and have realignment hell, no rivalry for Dallas and a terrible travel itinerary for all their games, and not get TV ratings here.”

I understand. And I have very similar feelings for a number of markets, both “that’s not a good idea, don’t do it… ARGH, I wish they were somewhere else” and “When the hell is the NHL finally going to get or get back to…”

But one thing that should be kept in mind is that just because there are teams in the American south not doing so hot, that doesn’t make all American southern markets bad for the NHL.

A second team in Texas is something that should have been done long before now.

The Austin vs Houston concept is actually a very good topic. Because while Houston would be a TV market everyone wants, Austin might be able to get you Houston, Austin AND San Antonio. And an NHL team going to the market where Dallas’ AHL team is located is also a nice start to the impeding rivalry.

The NHL does the best in markets where the SPORTS fans of the market jump into NHL fandom because the NHL is the first Big Four/Five team there. And Austin is ripe for that.
But Houston is tough to pass up.

If you put a team in Austin, you’d almost have to call them the “Texas _______” which would tick off Dallas. And that’d be great for the rivalry.

I have to agree w/ both Aeroforce, and the Austin poster here, that once the Ice Bats, left Austin, Kev, Dallas essentially controls the Austin market, and to a lesser extent the Spurs do as well with the Austin G-League owned franchise, that Cedar Park/Austin is not an NHL market, and your premise that it'll get you Houston is flawed.... why did Watson and his successors sell their majority ownership to the Wild when they did, and it was MSE that made that decision to leave Alexander and Houston just as the Wolves did with their franchise they just bought at Wells Fargo Arena (yes, the Iowa Energy were officially bought by the Timberwolves), and are now the Iowa Wolves, just as the Aeros morphed to the Iowa Wild....

how is Dallas going to be ticked off if they control the Austin market by virtue of the Texas Stars, and whether Dallas owns them or not, that affiliation isn't going anywhere.

Old
06-01-2017, 02:19 AM
Aeroforce

Quote:
Yes, an NHL team in Houston would take a backseat to football, baseball, and basketball. But in which American markets is that not the case? We had a discussion on the Bruins' board a while back about where the B's fit in Boston's sports climate and it's possible they are close to or a little higher than the Celtics. But I can't think of too many others. Maybe the Flyers, with the Sixers being so bad? But that can change as soon as the team improves.

Part of the reason you don't hear a large outcry from Houstonians wanting a team is the general ambivalence toward the whole situation. We've lost the Aeros three times (WHA, IHL, AHL), and none were due to lack of support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
I have to agree w/ both Aeroforce, and the Austin poster here, that once the Ice Bats, left Austin, Kev, Dallas essentially controls the Austin market, and to a lesser extent the Spurs do as well with the Austin G-League owned franchise, that Cedar Park/Austin is not an NHL market, and your premise that it'll get you Houston is flawed.... why did Watson and his successors sell their majority ownership to the Wild when they did, and it was MSE that made that decision to leave Alexander and Houston just as the Wolves did with their franchise they just bought at Wells Fargo Arena (yes, the Iowa Energy were officially bought by the Timberwolves), and are now the Iowa Wolves, just as the Aeros morphed to the Iowa Wild....

how is Dallas going to be ticked off if they control the Austin market by virtue of the Texas Stars, and whether Dallas owns them or not, that affiliation isn't going anywhere.
This is true. I have no doubt Houston would rally around a winning hockey team the way fans in Nashville are this year. But if it were an Austin team, I doubt it would register much more than a blip in Houston.

There are a lot of UT alums in Houston, but that wouldn't translate to them pulling for an Austin hockey team.

And there's no animosity between Houston and Austin whatsoever. Houston and Dallas is another story.

I alluded to it earlier, but I have sensed a bit of an inferiority complex with Houstonians when it comes to Dallas. Back in the 70's, Bum Phillips couldn't 'Kick the SOB in' against the dynastic Steelers, yet Staubach and company won rings.

The glitzy, popular drama about Texas oil millionaires was Dallas, not Houston.

The 90's saw the Oilers lose playoff games in historic fashion, ultimately leading to the team leaving, while Aikman and the Cowboys won three more rings.

Believe me - fans here were ecstatic when the Packers upset the Cowboys this past season. The Cowboys winning another Super Bowl actually in Houston would have been a local nightmare.

Since the MLB put the Rangers and Astros in the same division, that has become a heated rivalry both on the field and in the stands.

Old
06-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Dirty Old Man
And yet, we remain

Quote:

Relocation - Coyotes
Relocation - Hurricanes
Relocation - Panthers
Expansion - 1

Without reiterating what all the above have said about your little "wish list", you seem young... Prepare to spend the next two or four decades of your life waiting and wishing for things that never happen. You'll have plenty of company on here with the other "hopefuls".

Old
06-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

Relocation - Coyotes
Relocation - Hurricanes
Relocation - Panthers
Expansion - 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well.... some rather broad sweeping statements here JEFF that simply dont hold up to any objective thought & scrutiny Im afraid.... and rather unfair to be putting an asterisk beside Vegas when they havent even hit the ice, total unknown, could easily capture the hearts & minds of the market, turn into Nashville on Steroids for all we know. Give it a chance Man.... Florida is set for at least 7-10yrs, Carolina far from being doomed. We'll just see how much rope the league lets out on Karmanos if indeed its his plan to force an off-market sale... the Coyotes meanwhile, absolutely, that clubs in play however it seems the NHL based on their inaction to date intent on keeping them put, patiently waiting for Seattle to get its act together.... Kansas City is a total non-starter (no subsidies available) & Houstons out, nowhere to play..... meanwhile Hartford, I read the other day, City heading for Bankruptcy. That doesnt sound good..... Hamilton, and you know Im a huge supporter, just not on, wont happen without some super heavyweight money behind it & even then, the super heavyweights who might be interested are not stupid. It gonna cost them north of $1.5B to satisfy the NHL, Toronto, Buffalo, get a building up etc. Just how far north of $1.5B isnt known but were talking scary numbers. Wheres your ROI on that in this lifetime?

So there's no interest in Hamilton, for the exact reasons Killion mentioned, Jmrowe. So let that die.

Old
06-01-2017, 05:37 PM
JMROWE

If there is no interest or demand for a 2nd southern Ontario NHL. team (Hamilton) why is the city funding a study right now on a possible new NHL. sized arena in Hamilton ?

Also it would not cost 1.5 Billion to bring an NHL team here those numbers would be for 2nd team in Toronto not the Hamilton area an NHL. team in the Hamilton area would cost around 600 - 700 million plus the Leafs are not the ones blocking way for an NHL. team here it is the Sabres with there out of date so called territory rights & Jeremy Jacobs who has been successful in brainwashing the NHL. into thinking a team in the Hamilton area would kill the Sabres which it won't & given who has been running the NHL. it was a pretty small load of wash .

I guarantee if you shut both Jeremy Jacobs & the Sabres big mouths Southern Ontario (Hamilton) will get a team as for the Leafs on this subject they don't care in fact they would welcome the competition .

Old
06-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
If there is no interest or demand for a 2nd southern Ontario NHL. team (Hamilton) why is the city funding a study right now on a possible new NHL. sized arena in Hamilton ?

Also it would not cost 1.5 Billion to bring an NHL team here those numbers would be for 2nd team in Toronto not the Hamilton area an NHL. team in the Hamilton area would cost around 600 - 700 million plus the Leafs are not the ones blocking way for an NHL. team here it is the Sabres with there out of date so called territory rights & Jeremy Jacobs who has been successful in brainwashing the NHL. into thinking a team in the Hamilton area would kill the Sabres which it won't & given who has been running the NHL. it was a pretty small load of wash .

I guarantee if you shut both Jeremy Jacobs & the Sabres big mouths Southern Ontario (Hamilton) will get a team as for the Leafs on this subject they don't care in fact they would welcome the competition .
They're not, they're funding a replacement arena that might be bigger or smaller. And that's my last post on this, as Hamilton is completely off topic.

Old
06-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I guarantee if you shut both Jeremy Jacobs & the Sabres big mouths Southern Ontario (Hamilton) will get a team...
.... could well be JEFF... but this threads about Houston, not Hamilton, sorry. Back on topic please.

Old
06-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Yes, an NHL team in Houston would take a backseat to football, baseball, and basketball. But in which American markets is that not the case? We had a discussion on the Bruins' board a while back about where the B's fit in Boston's sports climate and it's possible they are close to or a little higher than the Celtics. But I can't think of too many others. Maybe the Flyers, with the Sixers being so bad? But that can change as soon as the team improves.

Part of the reason you don't hear a large outcry from Houstonians wanting a team is the general ambivalence toward the whole situation. We've lost the Aeros three times (WHA, IHL, AHL), and none were due to lack of support.

This is true. I have no doubt Houston would rally around a winning hockey team the way fans in Nashville are this year. But if it were an Austin team, I doubt it would register much more than a blip in Houston.

There are a lot of UT alums in Houston, but that wouldn't translate to them pulling for an Austin hockey team.

And there's no animosity between Houston and Austin whatsoever. Houston and Dallas is another story.

I alluded to it earlier, but I have sensed a bit of an inferiority complex with Houstonians when it comes to Dallas. Back in the 70's, Bum Phillips couldn't 'Kick the SOB in' against the dynastic Steelers, yet Staubach and company won rings.

The glitzy, popular drama about Texas oil millionaires was Dallas, not Houston.

The 90's saw the Oilers lose playoff games in historic fashion, ultimately leading to the team leaving, while Aikman and the Cowboys won three more rings.

Believe me - fans here were ecstatic when the Packers upset the Cowboys this past season. The Cowboys winning another Super Bowl actually in Houston would have been a local nightmare.

Since the MLB put the Rangers and Astros in the same division, that has become a heated rivalry both on the field and in the stands.
I think the problem is the Les Alexandder is upset with the NHL all these years and not that Houston isn't a good market. And who can blame him? Look at how the NHL does business, I would be too.

Closed Thread